web analytics

Italian Journalist Claims Newcastle In Talks With Arsenal Midfielder

The Granit Xhaka to Newcastle story is starting to really accelerate. Yesterday, a Swiss journalist stated that the 27-year-old would be open to a move to Newcastle to stay in the Premier League.

This morning the Telegraph reported that there was genuine interest from Steve Bruce to add the Swiss midfielder in January. The Telegraph also reported that Bruce considers adding a central midfielder to be a priority.

There was also a reference to Fabian Schar having told Xhaka ‘good things’ about Newcastle.

Sport Witness have today published some comments made by Italian outlet RSI’s journalist Giacomo Moccetti. This is what Moccetti had to say about Xhaka and Newcastle:

“I can confirm that Newcastle and Milan are the two teams that are currently in talks with Xhaka.

“The first would logistically be the simplest solution because he would stay in England and in a league he knows.”

This is the first we have heard that Newcastle have made any contact with Xhaka and his representatives. It also verifies the notion that Xhaka wants to continue in the Premier League which could favor Newcastle.

During his press conference last Friday when the link to Xhaka first surfaced, Bruce was asked if he was interested in the midfielder. This was Bruce’s response:

“Granit Xhaka? Look, I was only in the job two weeks and I was linked with 42 players.

“So I am not going to comment on anybody else’s players. He is a very good player.”

That’s not exactly an outright denial. While it does look like Milan are the favorites to land the Swiss international, Newcastle seem to be very much an option at this point.

• lesh

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:20 PM

Since we’re on memory lane….

• Jib

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:20 PM

We’ve never really replaced Diamé

• Mindshaft

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:25 PM

Hayden replaced Diame in the latter part of last season – not exactly the same sort of player , he doesn’t give the ball away as much 🙂

• Mindshaft

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:27 PM

mods and rockers a bit early for me , punk , post punk, new romantics and electronica were the thing when I were a lad

• Nufc-83

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:28 PM

I have seen something on Twitter a few times showing were the arsenal players are rated. I am pretty sure this guy has a category of his own underneath the lowest/worst players. Surely he is not good enough if that’s the case- not really seen much of him in an Arsenal shirt myself to confirm??

• Mindshaft

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:29 PM

nufc-83 – don’t think the Arsenal fans will miss him – most want him gone and think he’s never produced for them

• jane

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:40 PM

Almiron has scored for Paraguay who lead 1 nil against Bulgaria with 10 minutes left.

• DubaiMicky

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:40 PM

Just come across this on twitter

Jib, I know for a fact you’re wrong, ashLIE went after them for every penny he could get to take the sportsredirect site down. I’d hate to think how much he spent on lawyers, so I’m guessing it really, like REALLY hurt him.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:40 PM

hibbit,
    Did you know Arthur Wong from Tynemouth or was he from Jesmond, as long as no one else knows where he was from Jibbers can say he was from anywhere and give his tasty sister any name he wants 😮

• Online Guy

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:46 PM

Olivier Giroud..zat his name ?

He rotting away on a bench in downtown London

He would show our strikers how it’s done and help Almiron and Joelinton on

He won’t cost much but will Ash pay his wages?

Grab him if you can SB.

He’s the answer.

• JohnReese

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:47 PM

Just to mention on Xhaka, whilst I doubt we would sign him, even on loan.

His numbers are skewed with Arsenal by the fact he is continually asked to play as a defensive midfielder. It’s simply not his game, he is all about progressing the ball. Even playing from so deep he has continually been near the top of their lists for ball progressions into the final third over the past few seasons.

• Jib

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:48 PM

Jail for Ashley
    Jib can say he was from anywhere and give his tasty sister any name he wants
    Very true
    But I didn’t

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:59 PM

It would be a huge surprise to see us go for Xhaka, but he would step straight in our team as the top centre mid. In terms of him hindering the progress of the Longstaff’s, I think for Sean, he would be ideal to help his development, and for Matty, it gives us depth to allow him to be loaned out and get experience away from the spotlight at SJP.

OLG,
    Yes, Giroud would be an excellent short term acquisition for us. But I’ll file that as unlikely alongside Xhaka…

Speaking of Chelsea players, where did Drinkwater go on loan? I heard he was going back to Chelsea in January, is there a reason why he hasn’t featured and is going back?

We can easily free up 1 squad space by removing Matty Longstaff. He doesn’t even need to be named due to his age. Shows how little is thought of Colback and other seniors not named or on loan.

• Ron Knee

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:03 PM

BBC:

Former Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez plans to return to the Premier League one day, but has no plans to leave Chinese club Dalian Yifang any time soon.

The Spaniard moved to China this summer but his family remain in England.

“In the future I will come back to England,” Benitez told BBC Radio 5 Live’s Football Daily podcast.

“I am happy here. It is not I want to go back right now, it is I would like to go in the future.”

PS Arthur Wong – takes me back a few years!

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:04 PM

Just like that Journalist from Westoe Jib 😉

• Ron Knee

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:05 PM

• Jib

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:07 PM

I don’t think Kevin Maguire was a mod

• RobLeenio

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:15 PM

Good for Miggy, delighted for the lad.

He was probably exciting one of his own players to dive in front of him and block it at the last second or something.

Big difference there was the amount of space he had. He obviously didn’t want to take it first time, but the Bulgarians were miles away.

Not like that in the Prem.

• Ron Knee

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:16 PM

• Jib

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:17 PM

RobLeenio

Not like that in the Prem.

I was thinking the same

• beefman13

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:17 PM

I feel like have been anethiatised concerning my beloved club, like has been said he now wants to destroy the club altogether by blocking it out of the city’s site, i saw young Matty goal the other day, and its the only time this season felt anything, I really don’t give a f cu k otherwise, it’s gone while he is here.

• RobLeenio

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:19 PM

Miggy with the Bulgarian Mags ahead of the game

• JohnReese

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:19 PM

Lilongwe. I believe there was an issue with Drinkwater off the pitch, drinking involved perhaps? So Burnley haven’t used him.

Xhaka for me would be a good signing but not if it meant we didn’t get the more dynamic midfielder we need to link the midfield and attack. I’d be interested to find out what’s happening with Ibrahim Sangare at Tolouse if I remember correctly? or a little bit more in our price range someone like Christopher Martins Pereira, moved to Young Boys in the summer from Lyon, only seen him play a handful of tunes over the past 18 months but I think he’s a really interesting player who could suit us perfectly.

• Ron Knee

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:19 PM

(Belated) RIP Arthur Wong

• Jib

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:20 PM

I think my favourite England goal was Ray Wilkins
    pop over the top and collect and shot v Italy (I think)
    Hard to believe he’s gone

• Jib

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:21 PM

RobLeenio

Great pic

• Jib

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:23 PM

JohnReese

Guitarist ?

• RobLeenio

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:23 PM

Aye Jib, the lad has flair and talent – the shot was hit hard and true, no matter the space he had and it was a good goal.

He will get goals, but none like that one I think, unless he starts to shoot first time.

Interesting that he lined up on the left for Paraguay, where he’s been playing on the right for us.

• RobLeenio

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:27 PM

You’ve gotta wonder about the language difference between Miggy and those Bulgarians.

Fair play to him for putting himself in what must have been a fairly awkward position.

• JohnReese

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:28 PM

He’s actually an exciting young drummer Jib, remember the name. He’s huge in Luxembourg

• Jib

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:29 PM

Manuel Berizzo seems to give Miggy a freer role
    then he gets in the PL

• Ron Knee

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:33 PM

“Matty Longstaff (England U20s):
    Also receiving his first call-up by England was Matty, who began on the subs bench against Portugal in Agueda before being introduced during the second half. England won 4-0.”

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:35 PM

Englands youngest 1st team ever playing tonight. Makes you wonder whether the oldies like Jonjo will get ever get another game.

• Genjikai

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:41 PM

Dubai micky
    Correct. He went after their houses after spending months trying to find out who they were. He also spent a fortune.

I have the lawsuit if you want to have a look over it

• Genjikai

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:52 PM

Dubai micky
    It hurt him so much, it took down sports direct website for 4 months, everytime an item went up by sports direct, redirect offered an alternative place to buy the same product for cheaper.
    I see that there is a redirect twitter account still aswell but as stated redirect got shut down.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 14, 2019 at 7:53 PM

JohnReese,
    We certainly lack any dynamism in the centre, and it is a quality we need to add over the next window or two. The way we have set up last couple of games allows us to get away with not having it as the wide forwards and the wingbacks provide that. Xhaka fits the type of centre midfielder that would compliment the set up and add quality. I’m still not convinced we would be in for him.

I think in terms of other options, it depends what we are looking at Xhaka for. If it would be a short term loan, which I see as the most likely scenario, then Xhaka would be great, leaving us to look for more dynamic and longer term solutions when availability and willingness to do business is greater.

• Jib

Nov 14, 2019 at 8:01 PM

Lilongwe Geordie
    A short term loan, is what Bruce is thinking
    I believe
    Arsenal aren’t going to recoup their £35M
    he is a good pal of Fabby Schar
    win win for both clubs if he performs

• Jib