web analytics

Thirty-Year-Old International Admits To Thoughts Of Leaving Newcastle

The Irish Independent has published some comments along with a short video of Ciaran Clark. Clark was speaking with teammates ahead of the Republic of Ireland’s upcoming international matches.

Ciaran has recently come back into the Newcastle team and his form led to his first call-up for Ireland since last October. Prior to his recent run in the Newcastle team, the 30-year-old had not featured since last January. This lack of game time gave rise to some thought on his Newcastle future this past summer.

This is what Ciaran said when asked if he had thought about leaving Newcastle for first-team football elsewhere:

“Yeah, definitely. It was something I thought about in the summer. I didn’t know what the situation was with the manager and I thought about it a lot, the manager came late into pre-season and there wasn’t much time to do anything.

“He wanted a chance to look at everyone in the squad, I had a chat with him, explained my situation and how I wanted to be playing games. I had a few years of being in and out of the team, it was hit and miss and I wanted to play football.”

“He [Bruce] said to see how the first part of the season went and we’d assess it in January. He was fair with me, it was down to me to keep working hard and training and doing all I could to get back into the team and I have managed to do that.”

Clark was linked with a few clubs this summer. However, Steve Bruce’s decision to keep him at least through the first part of the season has proven to be a wise one.

It’s looking even better now with Jamaal Lascelles facing a couple of months on the sidelines with a knee injury. Bruce generally has an abundance of choice at center-back but is now down to only three fit ones in Clark, Fede Fernandez, and Paul Dummett. Though Fabian Schar and Florian Lejeune appear to be close to a return from their knee injuries.

Clark is a consummate professional and has taken his chance when it came. There are still decisions to be made on his future despite his recent successes. His contract, like so many others at Newcastle, runs out with the next year and a half.

However, for now Clark is enjoying a good run in the side which is likely to continue for some time. He’s been just fantastic since that Manchester United victory.

• Ron Knee

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:22 AM

hibbit/lesh

Re the oyster bar. Was this in the 60s? I don’t remember it at all.

• Jib

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:26 AM

Clark is in the starting 11 in tonight’s
    friendly vs NZ

• geordietom

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:27 AM

from a couple of threads back talking about music always like this song …

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:28 AM

Centre half and Goalkeeper is the two positions that you can play well into your 30s and still have really good sell on value having that experience gives us a solid base to work with while we have pace in the rest of the team!

Whether the “club” sees it like that and we keep Clark and Fernandez past this season or replace them with younger centre halfs remains to be seen but Bruce should be trying his best to keep them!

Ki , Muto , Gayle, Elliot and by the looks of it Manquillo are the 5 players that could be sacrificed to make way for new players if we could upgrade them with similar quality to Willems would really improve our team although if their replacements are more Krafth quality we could be in trouble…..

• hibbit

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:30 AM

Ron Knee
    up to about 68/69 when that side of percy st was compulsory purchased in preparation for the then new eldon square

• Ron Knee

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:35 AM

Thanks, hibbit. I wonder if there’s a photo of it somewhere.

• JohnJ

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:38 AM

I remember The Downbeat in Cariol Sq The Alan Price Combo were one of the resident groups later to become The Animals of course! Also recall “Club a Go Go in Percy Street!

Giving my age away here eh?

I also recall Bobby Mitchel on The Left Wing but sadly missed seeing Wor Jackie playing but I have seen many cracking center forwards since then. Big Al was the No 1 of course!

Others Len White, Wyn the Leap, Les Ferguson, Tino, etc.

I remember seeing Pop Robson scoring his first goal for Newcastle so here’s a question for you! Where was that? Clue it wasn’t at home.

• hibbit

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:40 AM

JohnJ
    a man of your age and no mention of Tony Green ????

• Jib

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:50 AM

Ron there are some old pics of Percy St (pre Eldon Sq) above

• wynsleap

Nov 14, 2019 at 12:03 PM

Hibbit @ 8
    Tony Green – the greatest of them all and I’ve watched them all, from the days of Ivor Allchurch and George Eastham.
    Wonder what he’d be worth today?

• geordietom

Nov 14, 2019 at 12:06 PM

Robson joined Newcastle United as a 17-year-old, and he made a goal scoring debut against Charlton Athletic before his 18th birthday. Supposedly nicknamed ‘Pop’ due to his lack of hair even from a young age, Robson didn’t look like the youngest man in the Newcastle United side…

• geordietom

Nov 14, 2019 at 12:10 PM

ho much would ‘jinky ‘ jimmy smith be worth today , if tony green didn’t have that bad injury playing for us. what a player memories eh? …

• geordietom

Nov 14, 2019 at 12:10 PM

how much*

• JohnJ

Nov 14, 2019 at 4:25 PM

Hibbit at No 8

Ah yes – Tony Green he was magic but I was thinking more No 9’s
    I recall Tony Green scoring a stunning goal into the Leazes End net! The keeper only had time to blink and turn to look at the ball in the back of his net!

Tragic to lose such a talent at such an early age – perhaps nowadays he could have had the surgery to come to come back from his injury?

• JohnJ