web analytics

Benitez Has The Premier League And Newcastle On His Mind

The Chinese Super League is currently on a three-week break and will resume their fixtures on November 22nd. They finish the season strong with their final three matches all taking place in the last week of November.

It has not been smooth sailing for Rafa Benitez and Dalian Yifang of late. The club have lost four of their last five matches and are stuck in ninth position with just the three games remaining.

If Benitez can change their fortunes in the final week, Dalian Yifang could finish as high as sixth in the final standings. This season for Rafa was all about getting the club as high as possible in the table. However, next season likely will be expected to have Dalian Yifang near the top.

Rafa Benitez– does he miss England?

As he has done so often since leaving Newcastle in June, Benitez has again spoken about his former club. This time, however, he gives some insight into his future. And it looks like he is already planning on a return to the big time.

In comments published in the Chronicle, Rafa spoke about the unfair comparisons between this year’s team and the one he coached last year:

“I think when you talk about my Newcastle or my Liverpool, you cannot compare them with these teams now.

“It is totally different, the time is different, the league is different, but both are doing well.

“Newcastle United, I will say after we were promoted and had two years in the Premier League, they are doing well.

“We finished, some people don’t remember, but we finished really well when we signed Miguel Almiron. We finished seventh in the second half of the league if you just take the second part of the league.

“Now, it is a new team, a new manager and they have spent some money. I think he [Steve Bruce] is doing well.

“People try to compare every year and it is totally different. I am happy because both teams are doing well, but I follow all the Premier League, it is not just these two teams.”

Steve Bruce has definitely gotten Newcastle on the right path over the past five or six weeks. There is still a lot of work to do, but Bruce seems to have finally found a way to get Newcastle going in the final third.

Last season, Rafa Benitez was also able to overcome a rough patch early in the season to have Newcastle flying during the second half of the campaign.

While comparisons are always going to be made, Rafa is correct that the situations do have their differences. Newcastle are in effect playing with an entirely different frontline if you consider that Miguel is being played on the opposite flank from last year. Though the formation and counter-attacking style remains similar.

Benitez, to us, seems to be slightly unfulfilled in China. While it is a project that he will commit to fully, it’s just not the same level as the one he left at Newcastle.

Despite being at Dalian Yifang for just the past five months, the Spaniard’s thoughts are still with England and the Premier League. He even said as much in his comments. When asked about a future return to England, this is what Rafa had to say:

“Obviously my idea in the future will be the Premier League. Then I want to stay close to my family. It is a league I like a lot.”

Sounds like Rafa really misses England and, in particular, Newcastle. Who knows what the future will bring? We would love to see Rafa back at Newcastle in the future if the need ever arises.

However, we are currently intrigued as to what Steve Bruce can do with this club. If he can build on the success of the past five weeks, he could really make a go of it. While his history belies that, we hope that coaching at Newcastle can inspire Bruce to bring some welcomed success to this club.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:18 PM

It’s never rafas fault.

• Paully

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:29 PM

Stop the winding up welsh or i’ll shove a stick up your arse and call you a taffy apple…

• yorkymag

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:37 PM

Greeeedy Rafa
    Looks like now he has had his Wong’s in China
    Working out his he can fleece another premier league team
    West Ham up I hear you cry
    Running to China for the dosh
    My heart bleeds

• Paully

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:38 PM

Illiterate Yorky, get back under your rock.

• yorkymag

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:48 PM

Paully
    Not illiterate
    Rather technically limited!!
    Predictive text just can’t keep up with me
    Still greedy Rafa will be back soon

• welshgeordie9

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:49 PM

Rafas better off being a waiter somewhere.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:50 PM

Bloody China, did he go just for the money………….. answers on a postcard.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:54 PM

It annoys me that Rafa didn’t do anything wrong in some of the fans eyes, regarding football results, when a lot of the performances were piss pot poor.

• yorkymag

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:55 PM

Welsh
    Olympic stadium by new year !!
    I missed my family ,I wanted to be close to them
    Unfortunately for greedy Rafa it wasn’t part of the plan for Bruce the perennial loser to out perform the Spanish genius
    Just think what Rafa could have achieved with this squad if he hadn’t been soooooo
    Greedy

• welshgeordie9

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:55 PM

Like I said earlier, only 2 performances so far this season that were poor.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:59 PM

Yorky

It just pisses me off when some have said that we beaten an average Man Utd and Spurs side, but if Rafa was here they would have said they were terrific results.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:59 PM

Hope Bruce proves the moaners wrong.

• IrishRob

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:06 PM

Hope nothings wrong, haven’t had a new story all day which is very unusual.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:06 PM

I hate it when there’s no prem on.

• yorkymag

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:07 PM

Welsh
    There is non so blind as ….
    Rafa was by far a better manager than Bruce
    But he let greed get in the way
    I don’t care for Bruce at all but he wants the job and is doing his best
    The players have warmed to him and yes there will be some bad beatings but I think we will be safe sooner than last season
    And just maybe a couple of signings in January and a few goal from a forward of two
    The future is bright

• welshgeordie9

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:11 PM

Yorky

I like the way Bruce have got the team playing.

• yorkymag

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:14 PM

Certainly more freedom

• The Wife

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:26 PM

Hi everyone. Neil and I had to say goodbye to our oldest kitty Hugo today. He was 15 and had some health issues but was fiesty to the end. He broke his leg very badly this morning -just a freak accident really- and we made the decision not to put him through a surgery when recovery was so uncertain. Just wanted to let you all know why nothing new has been put out on the blog. Keep us in your thoughts, yeah? It’s a hard thing, losing a fur baby. 🙁

• RobLeenio

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:28 PM

I’ll make an assumption here, apologies if I’m wrong, but I think yorkymag, like welshie, probably lives away from Newcastle.

I’m not saying this to put you down as supporters or to suggest that somehow your opinions are less valid as some have suggested before, so please don’t get on your high horses till you’ve heard me out.

I think Rafa plugged into the local community in a way that those living outside the area will naturally find harder to understand. He wasn’t a God, he wasn’t infallible and he made mistakes, we all know that.

What he did away from the football pitch in uniting the fan base and bringing hope to the area was something I hadn’t seen since sir Bobby’s era. We felt it from the first moment we saw the promotional photos of him having a look around the area, being pictured up by the Angel etc.

This is what we miss, because Bruce, a Geordie, hasn’t done that and isn’t likely to do that, at least in the short term.

I think this is why the likes of you guys, catchy, Munster and others from outside the area (not everyone from outside the area, I hasten to add), no matter whether you grew up here or not, struggle to understand why others of us have Rafa on a pedestal and will never take him down. It’s that connection which is hard to grasp from afar.

No offence meant to any exile fans, including you guys.

• toon22

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:28 PM

News
    Football inflation adjusted Premier League net spend of clubs shows zero ambition under Mike Ashley

JIB
    Hiya The Sensible Monk

😉

• RobLeenio

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:31 PM

RIP Hugo, off to that big scratching post in the sky.

It sounds like you made the right decision, but that doesn’t mean it was easy to make or that it doesn’t hurt horribly.

My thoughts are with you both.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:34 PM

Its amazing, apparently welsh and yorky are way more capable than an elite, multi trophy winning tactical genius. Who knew..!

Second half of last season we were the 5th highest scorers with Ronny + perez on fire following Almiron’s arrival. If 60m joel and st max outscore them fair enough. If not, ……..

• yorkymag

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:37 PM

Robleenio
    Of course I understand,I am exiled, but have had and continue to have a season ticket for over 25 years
    I do of course get the local thing but Rafa only did it for Rafas pr
    Nothing Rafa did was for free
    He is self motivated and greedy to the core and this latest escapade to the Far East seems to have backfired
    Rafa only cares for Rafa ,I don’t blame him for that but wake up a see the reality

• RobLeenio

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:37 PM

Toon 22, when I used to read the comments on the Mag (before I realised that the majority of contributors on there are petty nerbs fuelled by special brew) there was a guy called Monkseaton Mag who commented repeatedly supporting Ashley in exactly the same way as that Sensible Monk.

It has to be the same guy, total wazzock.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:39 PM

The wife

Can really empathise there as we just had to put our beloved 18 year old jack russell to sleep. Horrible horrible experience.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:41 PM

That was in the 2nd half of the season, we were shite in the 1st half.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:41 PM

Yorky

Suggest you check out rafa’s charity work and contributions or does that not fit your narrative?

• Rotonda heights

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:42 PM

Welsh

Wow, genius

• Jib

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:44 PM

Blimey
    I’m an alt on another blog now

As I’ve said before
    The sensible monk used to be Monkseaton toon

I’m from Tynemouth

• Jib

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:45 PM

toon22
    Just to explain
    Monkseaton and Tynemouth are on Tyneside
    Hopefully you may visit the area one day

• welshgeordie9

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:45 PM

Well thank you sir.

• yorkymag

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:46 PM

It’s all for a purpose
    Rafas pr
    I am not saying he didn’t do charity work but only when a camera or juno was on on hand

• Tatforsale Mikey

Nov 15, 2019 at 8:27 PM

York Mag
    You declared after Norwich beat us that you are originally from Norwich .You stated that you were now a Norwich fan ….you talk some pooooooooo man

• Munster Mag

Nov 15, 2019 at 8:38 PM

Rob, some of the charity work rafa did was super but getting his PR guy to pic him by the Angel etc, was nauseating. If pardew or souness did it we’d have scoffed at them. As for leaving ( clearly attracted by a huge wedge as he didnt hang around for european jobs) , whikst we all acknowledge ashley as a fool and a problem, rafa has a history of playing the pied piper to big fan bases and playing politics (and losing) with practically every owner he has been involved with. Rafa has form.

• Big Archie

Nov 16, 2019 at 4:09 AM

“For everyone who says to me Bruce is doing better than Rafa, only if you’re comparing starts, like Rafa said, we were seventh in the second half of the season.”

This is hilarious. How desperate are fans to slag off Bruce (or suck up to Rafa) that they insist that ACTUAL RESULTS don’t matter? Yeah – let’s compare the second half of the season – you know the one that Bruce hasn’t had yet!

It’s a bit like saying that Perez is the best striker in the league based on the nomber of goals he scored NEXT SEASON.

Why, suddenly, is it only the second half of the season that counts? Have the Prem introduced a new rule where they reset the points to zero after Christmas and only ht epoints won after that count?

Honestly – have you ever heard anything so bl00dy ridiculous?

I expect this kind of stupidity from the Anti-Ashley brigaade – theyll haul in any stats that to make their point – but I’m surprised at Rafa being so desperate to try to show he’s better than Bruce.