web analytics

Newcastle Should Revisit Italian Keeper For January Move

Newcastle were linked with Juventus goalkeeper Mattia Perin this past summer. With the return of Gianluigi Buffon, the shot-stopper was deemed surplus to requirements and available for a move.

Portuguese Champions Benfica had a fee of €15M accepted for the now 27-year-old in July. However, the Italian failed his medical due to a shoulder problem.

The medical at Benfica revealed that the shoulder injury Perin had suffered in April would take around another four months to heal. With that news, Benfica pulled the plug on the deal.

Perin is working his way back to fitness but will be ready for action soon. However, he will likely not feature for Juventus and should be available for a move in January.

Newcastle have two goalkeepers with contracts expiring in 2020 in Karl Darlow and Rob Elliot. While reports are that Newcastle would like to extend Darlow, there has been little action on that front.

Rather than risk losing Karl on a free, Newcastle could look to recoup some of the fees they paid for him and offload him in January.

Perin is a very talented keeper who has just had rotten luck since moving to Juventus from Genoa in 2018. A loan deal with an option to buy in the £8-10m range could be sound business.

Dubravka needs to be pushed. With Darlow and Elliot behind him, Dubravka’s first-team place is basically assured every week. Bringing in a talented keeper like Perin makes sense in that regard.

It could cause problems for Freddie Woodman, whose current contract runs out in 2021. However, Freddie should still be extended and offered out on loan next season as well.

Bringing Perin to Newcastle would strengthen the position and could prove to be a bargain if he can recover the form he had at Genoa.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:31 PM

NY Mag

4!

• NY Mag

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:33 PM

More than that mate, surely 🙂

• NY Mag

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:34 PM

Or do you mean 4 today?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:37 PM

Munster re. your previous comment.

Lets get Rafa back for one match day give him 5 Greggs pasties and 2 bottles of Broon ale and see if he can feed the whole crowd.

Although there might only be a handful of people in the crowd if things continue to go downhill. so not much of a challenge or miracle there. 😉

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:39 PM

NY Mag

I was thinking of when I 1st posed the question about 1 week ago. I can’t be bovvered to trawl back to see who I may have missed.

• NY Mag

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:43 PM

Just to weigh in on the Ivan toney debate.

We signed him as a promising 19 year old. He did OK, nothing more – he went out on loan many times and did OK.

Come the start of the 18/19 season he wasn’t a free hit anymore, he needed a squad place. The decision needed to be taken of whether he was worth that (for the detractors, please remember who our manager was then).
    The decision clearly was that he was not going to be part of the first team sqaud and was therefore let go.
    Since then, He’s done very well in league 1, if he makes it back in the PL (and there’s no proof of that yet). Then we can say that it was one that got away – the PL is littered with such stories…

• NY Mag

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:45 PM

Bill,

Possibly….I haven’t checked either – but, I guess the number is going to ramp up over the coming weeks

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 18, 2019 at 12:49 AM

Quiet tonight, early start tomorrow, so G’d Night NY Mag and anyone else around.

• NY Mag

Nov 18, 2019 at 1:01 AM

Goodnight Bill…

• Sports Direct FC

Nov 18, 2019 at 1:26 AM

Munster Mag
    Nov 17, 2019 at 10:54 PM
    Rafa is a good manager but to hail him as some sort of demi god is hilarious moonraker. Real madrid, chelsea, napoli, none of his recent clubs would want him back. Neither would liverpool. I wouldnt have a major issue with him coming back but I just laugh when some of you prostrate yourselves for the football god called rafa . Just to annoy jail, you come across as a bit put upon. There is more to nufc past present and future than benitez. Mind you he did perform a miracle keeping us up didnt he? He said it would need a miracle so…

Oh Munster…..at no time did moonraker (or anyone ever) say, infer or hail Rafa as a “demi god”. You, and others, continually let your closet dislike for Rafa blind you.

First how do you know none of those teams wanted Rafa back? Not saying at this moment but at anytime after he left them? And so what if they don’t, no one on here has ever said Rafa is the greatest manager in football today or ever, have they? But you and others won’t let it die….you are constantly bringing him up.

What you, and many others, can’t see because of your inability to actually read/comprehend, along with the aforementioned dislike is that we (the bottom dwellers as you call us) don’t care that Rafa wasn’t/isn’t the greatest manager. Why? because we know he is the best manager we have had under MA and he will be the best manager we will get until MA is gone. That’s it, that’s all it is, so why you keep making it out to be more?

• toon22

Nov 18, 2019 at 1:30 AM

Posters like Munster knock Rafa as it’s the narrative the PR wants us to believe
    It’s all they’ve got

Like we are all idiots

• NY Mag

Nov 18, 2019 at 1:41 AM

Toon22,

Posters like Munster give their honest opinion. No doubt, as do you.
    Your intolerance of others opinions, speaks volumes of your character.

• lesh

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:01 AM

Might Maria Perin become known as Reggie if he came to England?

Essex

In privileged circles such as what the supposed many more better off mix in, the ‘poor and underprivileged’ are referred to as ‘paups’ – a nice word to drop into conversation when one’s trying to hide from reality

• carltoon

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:16 AM

Lesh, Newcastle have the largest food bank in England, they collect outside St. James on match days. It’s impossible to believe in this day and age even working families have to rely on them. A young lad begging as I came from the match, I only had a pound in change as like the Queen I don’t usually carry money. I wish I had more.

• carltoon

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:21 AM

Ooh! NYmag, you know fine well posters aren’t allowed an opinion,

• Genjikai

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:24 AM

Carltoon
    It is a disgrace that there is foodbanks in this day and age.
    I was collecting for foodbank before i had banners out at bournemouth.
    The work them boys and girls do is vital.
    I know they where collecting advent calendars, there target was 350 they got 650.
    That means that they could distribute them into gateshead aswell .
    Great effort by all.
    They need more.
    With the strawberry land development they will lose their spot outside sjp.
    The club should have a designated space for them.
    It is a disgrace.

• Genjikai

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:25 AM

Ashleys greed is seeping out into the city and everyone is just standing by watching.
    Wheres the face palm emoji….

• carltoon

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:29 AM

Yes genjikai, I usually take a bag full. I know Rafa donated money, why can’t the players donate a small portion of their wages.

• carltoon

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:32 AM

Ashley could do so much good, but like most of the wealthy, he’s got no pity. Why did we have to end up with him.

• Genjikai

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:37 AM

Carltoon
    I can imagine you do your bit, the fa in general could help out.
    There is a campaign going round hunger has no club colours.
    All the food banks are doing a drive.
    Would be class if everyone got behind it.
    No matter where you are go donate to your local foodbank.
    You never know when your luck could change.
    I couldnt eat for 5 months 2 years back, had surgery on my stomach, i was humbled by the whole experience, the first bit of food i had when i could finally get a little down me was a chicken stock cube in water and a slice of bread.
    I cried, it tasted so nice.
    Changed by the whole experience, if everyone gave and didnt take the world would work as intended.
    Greed has its hold on the world atm.
    That only changes if you decide to change.

• NY Mag

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:37 AM

Carltoon,

Opinions are fine as long as they are inline with perceived truth 🙂

• Genjikai

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:39 AM

Ashley could of been a god loved by all.
    We created this weapon of mass destruction.
    Its time we end it.
    AshleyOut
    AshleyOut
    AshleyOut

• NY Mag

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:42 AM

Genji,

You couldn’t eat for five months? Are you sure you’re not exaggerating by any chance?

• carltoon

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:50 AM

Goodnight NYMAG, Genjikai Lesh anyone else still around.

• NY Mag

Nov 18, 2019 at 3:03 AM

Goodnight carltoon

• Genjikai

Nov 18, 2019 at 3:39 AM

Ny mag
    I couldnt eat properly for about 5 months, slowly building my way back up.
    Had a nissan fundulopication, the surgeon was like your food may get stuck, may get stuck is a understatement.
    Atleast i cant be sick any more.
    I had a haiatis hernia and my lower esophagus had come loose.
    Theyve wrapped my stomach round my stomach to make a new valve.
    Crazy what they can do .
    Was on sips of water for first 3 weeks, had chicken stock and a bit bread for couple weeks after.
    Then lived on the little chicken bite packets.
    The mini fridge raiders.
    Its a bastard 2 years on, takes me ages to eat, have to chew every thing till its nothing. I guess most people would say thats just normal but i used to be a savage.
    Viking blood and that.
    Theres loads of stuff im not suppose to eat but ya na im only human

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 18, 2019 at 7:26 AM

I see Munster still regurgitating (sorry genjikai) his Benitez debunking narrative. I’m sure it’s not because he hates him, more because it sort of elevates the palatability of having Bruce in situ.

Imagine the landlord of your new house replacing a failed glazing unit in your front room with a sheet of ply. The old window wasn’t totally transparent he might say. This is good, just get behind it, its weatherproof and will do the job, he might add.

You can get behind that, can’t you? You know, give it a chance?

• Jib

Nov 18, 2019 at 7:42 AM

We have been scouting Odsonne Edouard
    at Celtic

• Jib

Nov 18, 2019 at 7:51 AM

Granit Xhaka completed 90 minutes for Switzerland against Georgia in their
    European qualifier and posted the following message in his native tongue
    after the game.
    He said:
    Glück ist, wenn du mit dir selbst zufrieden bist und dafür nicht die
    Bestätigung anderer brauchst.

‘Happiness is when you are satisfied with yourself and do not need
    the confirmation of others.’

Arsenal fans are speculating if it’s a dig at Unai Emery

you bunch of tossers
    it’s aimed at you

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 18, 2019 at 7:52 AM

Celtic will want big money for him, we’ll want to pay the type of money Celtic paid initially for Van Dijk.

• Jib

Nov 18, 2019 at 8:14 AM

I’m assuming it’s Edouard
    I was told it was the French kid
    Can’t see it being Jullien or Nitcham

• Bills Son Is Back

Nov 18, 2019 at 8:50 AM

toon22

Another sue free day for MA.

It’s never the frogs fault.

• RobLeenio

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:08 AM

Genjikai “Had a nissan fundulopication, the surgeon was like your food may get stuck”

Me too, I had my nissen fundoplication 14 years ago, better that than being on drugs and sleeping virtually upright the rest of my life. Old rugby injury is what I put it down to.

I eat food with a pint of water next to me to wash it down in case it gets stuck and avoid fizzy drinks (including lager and crappy cider), but other than that I’m pretty good now.

Drank malibu and pineapple for ages from shortly after the opp, still like it now. I wasn’t off food for that long though – maybe a couple of weeks drinking soup and eating mashed up weetabix and banana before I got on more solid stuff.

5 other lads in a ward with me recovering had all had the same thing, we had the best craic, but I couldn’t tell you what about, those drugs were good…..

• RobLeenio

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:13 AM

Tsunki “You can get behind that, can’t you? You know, give it a chance?”

The difference being that a sheet of ply is never going to be fit for purpose as a window, whereas from what we’ve seen so far, Bruce may be just that as a coach.

A replacement for Rafa? No, but, at least on the pitch, an option that can get the job done. Given Rafa is gone, it’s time to look forward and not back.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:15 AM

RobLeenio,
    Unfortunately just staying in the PL is job done and will never get better.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:27 AM

Alan Pardew was comfortably keeping us in the PL, he was very much Mikey’s man and had the safest job in world football, he couldn’t wait to jump ship when he knew was in store that January, it’s not going to be any different for Bruce.

• RobLeenio

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:33 AM

Jail, that may well be the extent of Ashley’s ambition, but it’s hardly something you can hold against Bruce – he’s just got here.

I feel sure that he’ll want more for the club than that. Whether he’s allowed to achieve it (or capable of doing so) is another matter, and if he accepts mediocrity going forward (like Pardew did in signing an eight year contract) then I think we can have legitimate complaints against him.

As it stands, however, he’s done well since arriving and we’re on a potential upswing, given that the matches in the next month are objectively easier than those that have gone before and our forwards appear to be coming into form. Now if they can just add some goals to their game….

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:34 AM

Rob I think I’ll stick to the analogy. Bruce is a sheet of ply. Functional, reasonably secure, will weather reasonably for the short term but definitely a backward step as far as improving our outlook. Sheet of ply.

And I think you mean we should be content with looking sideways, not forward.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:36 AM

I would just like to know what we are all supposed to be looking forward to? A steady consolidation of our league status? Is that looking forward?

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Nov 18, 2019 at 9:38 AM

Thing is we all know Rafa is gone. He keeps getting dragged back in purely to make us get used to thinking less is ok.