web analytics

New Report On Benitez Would Be Tough To Take For NUFC Fans

Rafa Benitez almost joined West Ham in the summer of 2015 before taking the reins at Real Madrid. It did not go well for the Spaniard in Madrid as he was relieved of his duties the following January.

That proved to be a stroke of great fortune for Newcastle as Benitez replaced Steve McClaren in March and over the next three-plus years, guided Newcastle back to Premier League respectability.

Of course, we all know how it ended and that Rafa is now managing in China. However, in an interview last week, Rafa spoke about how he sees his future back in the Premier League. This is what he had to say:

“Obviously my idea in the future will be the Premier League. Then I want to stay close to my family. It is a league I like a lot.”

There is a report in the Mirror that West Ham will turn to the 59-year-old Benitez if Manuel Pellegrini cannot turn around the struggling Hammers.

West Ham are currently languishing in 16th in the table without a win in their last six league games. They also bowed out of the League cup with a 4-0 thrashing at Oxford United.

The report states that this time around Rafa Benitez would be interested in joining West Ham if they were to part ways with the Pellegrini.

Things might have soured a bit for Rafa in China with Dalian Yifang struggling of late. The club have just one win in their last seven matches in the league, including a Cup semi-final defeat.

We would not be surprised in the slightest to see Rafa back in the Premier League sooner rather than later. We have to admit that it would be tough to take if it was as soon as this season.

• lochinvar

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:05 PM

Would it be really so hard to take ?
    Time moves on and Rafa has our respect and has secured an amazing deal in China beyond anything that all of us can only dream about.
    West Ham are not the club they were once as they sold their soul to acquire their stadium at taxpayers expense.
    No one has any regard for them bar their hard core loyal fans.
    Golden rule is you never go back.

• geordietom

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:16 PM

so is Rafa looking to jump ship , i dont think he will west ham wont be able to pay the wages he’s on in china imo…

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:18 PM

Martoon

I thought Shelvey was vice captain

• Bills Son Is Back

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:38 PM

Jail – I think we’re ran like the Nazi party by a cruel dictator and his slavering henchman, fed lies and propaganda.

On a blog where some posters make the most senseless, nonsensical and stupidly over the top statements this one from Jail takes some beating.

Comparing the running of a football club to the horrors of the Nazi party?

How crass can you get.

• bettyswallocks

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:41 PM

It would be an uncomfortable feeling having to watch Rafa managing another club that’s for sure. He definitely seemed to have bought into the club’s ethos with a real empathy for the fans and the city, but football is a cut throat business with most of the protagonists willing to forego all sense of loyalty to further their own careers.

• lesh

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:44 PM

geordietom

It seems that Rafa’s been interviewed by the mag, four-four-two and he’s pretty well confirmed that it was Ashley’s lack of ambition that convinced him to leave NUFC. He also made it clear that money wasn’t the driver that took him to China and would’ve been happy to stay with us if Ashley had shown the desire to do more than survive.

So, the point I’m making is that if WHU were make a move for Rafa, he wouldn’t be expecting China level salary.

• toon22

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:48 PM

Its never Jabbas fault

Some would be happy with another 13 years of him

• Rotonda heights

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:50 PM

Wow, Mikey boy being economical with the truth about Rafa’s departure. Who’d have thought it, surely not? Our beloved and sainted owner (By Bills and Jib) would never tell porkies.

• Assassins Inc

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:52 PM

Roll on this weekend and Monday, I hate these international breaks, seems like we have one every two bloody weeks.

• martoon

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:54 PM

Although it pains me to say it a club like West Ham would probably suit Rafa well – a London club with a strong tradition, decent squad, good support and more ambitious owners than we have. The only negative I can see is that their supporters might not like Rafa’s defensive style of football.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:54 PM

Some people (Charnley + Jib) are happy and think 13th is good. Rafa paid the price for not being. I’m sure he would much rather have stayed and be closer to family than on the other side of the world.

• martoon

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:57 PM

#BoycottAshley ( OP) @3 – I thought it was Ritchie or Jonjo but can’t see anything from sources such as this:

• Jib

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:59 PM

“I was waiting for Newcastle until the last minute. But because there was no takeover and nothing was changing, I didn’t want to stay in another survival battle.

Team of the decade: Ba and Coloccini in but no place for Cisse or Tiote – Newcastle team of the decade revealed
    Fans’ team of the decade: Hatem Ben Arfa in but Nolan misses out – fans pick THEIR Newcastle team of the decade

“I said, ‘Which are the options we have at the moment?’ The top sides in Europe weren’t available so I said, ‘OK, I have this opportunity’. People say, ‘Oh, but the league isn’t strong’ – yes, I know, but it’s a project and they want to do well.
    My idea was to grow, to compete and to be sure we could challenge. But there was another vision and that was it. If you see the profit of the team in the last few years, we did what we needed to do to be successful. And that, it’s up to him.
    I still love the city, the fans and the players. My last game as manager was emotional: we won 4-0 at Fulham and the supporters were singing my name at the end, trying to convince me to stay. I have a lot of very good memories. I wish them and Steve Bruce all the best. But I couldn’t stay there just trying to survive for another year.”

• Jib

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:59 PM

ignore para 2

• Rotonda heights

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:00 PM

Martoon

Rafa was only defensive when forced to be with the personnel at his disposal. It’s an urban myth, we were top scorers in the champo and 5th highest in the PL for the second part of last season with Rondon and Perez tearing it up once Almiron came on board. Rafa has an insane positive GD. Bruce has got a couple of decent wins and fair play but our possession is still far lower, our forwards can’t score and Bruce’s negative GD is desperate.

• Jib

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:08 PM

In a way it would be better having Rafa managing
    in the PL.
    He would be well-placed to return to SJP if Ashley
    does sell up.

• martoon

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:13 PM

Rotonda heights @15 – I’d disagree with that – it’s always been Rafa’s style to make his teams compact and hard to break down and build from the back. That doesn’t mean his teams won’t score goals but you won’t see an all out attacking style such as Liverpool under Klopp (an extreme example I know). I’d call it defensive maybe others would call it cautious but whatever I’m not sure West Ham fans would like it!

• martoon

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:17 PM

Jib @16 – Nice thought but once Rafa gets himself embedded into another club he won’t leave them in the lurch just to come back to us!

• Jib

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:29 PM

martoon
    I meant in the fullness of time

• The next Mike Williamson

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:35 PM

we wouldnt have been just surviving with rafa. wed be 10th at the worst 7th at the best. which seems about the same as his chinese team.

• The next Mike Williamson

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:40 PM

nobody likes defensive football. but if the manager has a track record of getting results and building a healthy team it can be forgiven. if the manager doesnt then nobody in their right mind would suffer it.

• RobLeenio

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:48 PM

I see in The Mag that the odious, hairy-handed seducer of his daughter’s friends has been letting his jaw flap loosely once more, devoting less words to his reasons for giving an award to Steve Bruce than he devotes to attacking his predecessor.

If you look in the Oxford English Dictionary for ‘bell’, it says …. “used in a compound word with ‘end’ to describe Richard Keyes. See also ‘tool’, ‘muppet’, ‘pr!ck’ and ‘d!ckhead'”

• Our Toon

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:51 PM

Rafa gets the job done with set up which isnt the best football to watch but has won him trophies, although less so in the last decade compared to the early 2000s.

He’s definitely defensive, nice to see weve loved on though. Every day is a rafa debate day, good luck to him and hopefully he can turn around the fortunes of his current club as they are in shocking form.

• Our Toon

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:53 PM

We’ve moved on though, not loved on. Silly predictive text

• DaveD1000

Nov 19, 2019 at 1:53 PM

The GD under Rafa was one of the big positives. It looked as if SB was going to stray in to Pardewesque GD but it seems to have settled.
    Rafa could do a job on Wetspam good luck to him.

• martoon

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:02 PM

Our Toon – I know we’ve moved on but the discussion was centred around the rumours Rafa could be bound for West Ham so I’m not hankering after him but discussing how he would do at West Ham – quite a reasonable discussion for an ex-toon manager don’t you think?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:03 PM

Our Toon

Are you sure you’d like to see Rafa turn WHs season around, I’m happy to see them struggling!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:06 PM

Although I’d be happy to see him do for them what he did for us and get them out of the championship in a couple of seasons time!

• RobLeenio

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:08 PM

Not many teams I can say this about as I have some joy watching most teams play. However, I wouldn’t care one little bit if West Ham were ejected from the Premier League, dropped through the divisions and ended up imploding financially, taking their despicable owners, disgraceful fans and tax-payer-funded stadium with them.

Horrible club, from bottom to top. I’ll be sorely disappointed if Rafa ends up there.

• Our Toon

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:09 PM

Martoon

Yeah hence why I’ve commented on it today mate, but everyday rafa is discussed, just bonkers to me as he’s made his decision

• Our Toon

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Essex

I’m enjoying watching them struggle tbf, theres no guarantee that rafa would turn it around for them though. He’s still a very good manager no doubting that and much more astute than Pellegrini who made the huge error of playing zabaleta against ASM when Frederick’s was bench warming haha.

Rafa will get money but with money comes big egos and west ham seem to be suffering from that in my opinion, big signings, money splashed but players couldn’t care less about what happens

• bettyswallocks

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:17 PM

Rotonda…………… There was a big fire at Coco Beach. The bar and shops etc all burnt down. Really sad as I love going there on a Sunday to hang out with the locals.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:20 PM

And a posh stadium funded by us, yeah, thinking more about I wouldn’t like to see him either managing there or bringing them back up again.

In their heyday they were a bit like us, entertainers but they seem to have down the same road as us as to a shadow of what we were in the KK/SBR years.

• Australian Pie

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:23 PM

I think Rafa would struggle with West Ham this season, it would be hard to turn them into a strong defensive unit, if they have him for next season and he can put together his defensive line (probably stealing Schar) he could do well.

For the ungodly amount of money they have spent I have to say their squad doesn’t look any more class than ours