web analytics

Contract Situation Not On Young Midfielder’s Mind At The Moment

There was a recent report in the Telegraph that Newcastle and Matty Longstaff had made a breakthrough in their contract negotiations and that a new deal would be signed in the coming weeks. That has yet to happen for the nineteen-year-old whose current deal will run out this summer.

We have every reason to believe that Newcastle will get Matty tied down long-term despite the seeming delay in the proceedings. However, the same report said that Matty’s older brother Sean would have to wait until the end of the season for an improved deal.

Sean had just signed his recent deal in December of last season; however, it was before his breakthrough performances last season.

The Chronicle have published some comments Sean has made about his contract situation. There does seem to have been some conversations, but they don’t appear to have been recent. This is what the 22-year-old had to say about his talks with Newcastle:

“It’s up to the club, what they want to do. There have been conversations. I don’t want to give too much away.

“That was a little while ago. But, like I said, I’m not really worried about contracts and stuff like that. I’m just trying to concentrate on football. At the end of the day, that’s what I want to do.

“You didn’t play when you were younger to worry about contracts and this and that, and that’s how I’m looking at it now. I’m just continuing to work hard and do my job every day.”

This is the right attitude for the young midfielder. His focus should now be getting back into the Newcastle team. He’s missed out on the last two wins due to his red card suspension with Isaac Hayden and Jonjo Shelvey coming into the side and putting in superb displays.

With Sean’s current contract being signed so recently, there is no rush on the club’s part to get an improved one done. We would expect there to be ongoing talks, but with so many other players in need of new contracts, it’s just not as pressing at the moment.

There are also developments on Manchester United’s interest in Longstaff that favor Newcastle’s approach.

The Daily Mail has published a list of eight Manchester United transfer targets, and Sean is not listed as one of them. So it could be that their interest has waned a bit over the past few months.

The report lists West Ham midfielder Declan Rice as being a potential midfield target. There are also other reports that Manchester United could nab Lille’s 20-year-old midfielder Boubakary Soumare whose contract is due to expire this summer. He has been compared to a young Paul Pogba.

We hope that both Longstaff brothers get the new contracts that they deserve. While it may take a little time to get them done, we have faith that they will both be at Newcastle for a long time.

• toon22

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:27 PM

The subsequent responses to my post proves my point

😉

• martoon

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:30 PM

No – your reply proves that you can’t substantiate or debate your accusations!

• Ron Knee

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:32 PM

Grauniad sketch writer and Spurs supporter John Crace not happy this morning:

John Crace@JohnJCrace

My life is f**ked. I’d rather be relegated. The year we spent in the second division in the 1970s was surprisingly enjoyable

Asterisks added.

• Jib

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:51 PM

• geordietom

Nov 20, 2019 at 1:27 PM

TOOL22…

the subsequent responses to your post prove nowt only in your mind …

• geordietom

Nov 20, 2019 at 1:33 PM

do you think there’s more than one person coming on here as TOON22 , different way of putting things , different way of saying things . could be that toon22 has a couple of alts …

• geordietom

Nov 20, 2019 at 1:35 PM

is toon22 PR to disrupt that blog ? …

• Mindshaft

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:00 PM

geordietom – pretty poor pr if thats the case – most people need a reasonable argument to be persuaded to change a view on something – something we rarely see on the comments on this blog – it’s mostly numsters rafa’s a traitor, toon22s bruce is a traitor and others saying Ashley is stealing all the money ( albeit the last one actually has some basis given that he sold the strawberry place land to his son in laws company etc etc)

• Munster Mag

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:01 PM

Rotunda, listen man, you are no genius so dont try to be clever. Sb is no great shakes but currently his football is more exciting than rafa’s. its nothing amazing but its more exciting. Its nothing to do with lack of possession. Come back to me when you have a valid argument ya?

• Mindshaft

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:01 PM

oh and jib mostly just telling everybody that they are dumb and he’s intellectually superior to everyone on this blog

• IrishRob

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:05 PM

Not that it matters but Sean is going to be as balled as an egg by 26. Very rare to see somone that young have thinning hair and a receding hairline, hes 21, I’m always shocked when I see a picture of him in the rain when it’s much more obvious.

• Munster Mag

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:06 PM

Mindshaft, where did I call rafa a traitor?? Its ashleys fault for letting him go. But dont tell me that a huge wedge didnt help. Im dont blame benutez for going . but dont try to make out, as some do, that he was shafted . There was a pull factor too. If money wasnt a huge factor he wud have waited for a lesser paid role in europe or uk.

• martoon

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:09 PM

geordietom @7 – OLG was the first (I think) to speculate on this and I tend to agree – there is definitely at least 2 different styles – one quite articulate and the other, lets say, not quite so bright!

• Munster Mag

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:14 PM

Mindshaft amongst the noise by the less intelligent members if this blog I have expressed the very simple and reasonable view that Rafa did well for us and should simply still be here. However, his errors, like any coach , should not be hidden because it suits some who obsessed about him. Its quite a reasonable point, and applied equally to brian clough and alex ferguson. The lesser lights dont like my obvious logic, and so make out that I despised him, to suit their own extremism. Despite the fact that I travelled miles to kildare to meet him in pre season. And yes, plenty of guys agree with me. And yes I enjoy slapping the silly billys on the head with reasoned arguments, as opposed to their hysteria. 🙂

• The next Mike Williamson

Nov 20, 2019 at 2:26 PM

what was your point toon22?
    jibba jabba traitor everyone who doesnt like your slogans is pr shill grant thornton lovers
    were not that stupid. whats with the slogans? your like a br**** party bus stuck on a roundabout.
    saying it once will do. were all mostly regular posters on here who mostly hate ashley and bruce so no need to tell us tens of thousands of times. the more you post the same comments the more sure i am youre the shill planted here to drive people away. ashley doesnt want us having a good communication place so he sent a plague of frogs.
    best craic youve had was the global warming stuff. much better than jibba jabba traitor every five seconds and showed you do have a degree of intelligence.
    if your lifes ambition is to thwart jib then there are about ten others who live for that reason and jib doesnt seem to give a damn. in fact he seems to enjoy it.