web analytics

Midfielder Gives Honest Assessment Of Bruce’s Team Selection

Matty Longstaff saw his dream come alive against Manchester United on October 6th. He scored a game-winning goal in his Premier League debut. The 19-year-old went on to start the next two games and looked the part in the heart of the Newcastle team alongside his big brother Sean.

However, in the disappointing draw against Wolves, Sean received a straight red for his tackle on Reuben Neves. Due to the sending off, Sean was set for a spell on the sidelines.

As it turned out, Matty has also seen himself out of the team as well. Steve Bruce has instead opted for a midfield pairing of Jonjo Shelvey and Isaac Hayden, which has worked out well for Newcastle with two straight wins.

Sean has spoken about the situation that both he and his brother are facing. Sean is disappointed to be suspended, but he also feels for his brother Matty. This is what Sean had to say as published in the Chronicle:

“That’s football, isn’t it? Things aren’t going to go your way all the time. From my point of view, I knew I wasn’t going to play (against West Ham), but I thought Matty would.

“When he got left out, I was obviously really disappointed for him, but the manager made a decision and Jonjo came in and scored and Isaac came in and did really well. It’s a squad game at the end of the day and we’re going to need everyone.

“We’ll look to push up the table, which everyone in the dressing room thinks we can. It’s disappointing not to be playing, but you are a team, and the only way you’re going to be successful is with everyone doing their bit.

“Hopefully, for me, this is my little break from the team, and when I come back, I can get back in as soon as possible and get back to where I was.”

As quite a few players have seen this season, a stint on the sideline or a run in the team is only a game away. While Matty Longstaff was the toast of the town for a few weeks, he has seen two of his teammates put in top performances and are likely to keep their place at Aston Villa on Monday.

However, there are nine games over the next five weeks, so both Matty and Sean need to be ready to stake a claim when their names are called. It’s unlikely they won’t feature during the busy winter schedule. When they get their chance again, they need to be prepared to make it count.

• NY Mag

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:16 AM

toon22,

I already said….I didn’t think Bruce ‘deserved’ the job based on his history and track record.
    However, I think he is doing OK so far…..but there is a long way to go to the end of the season

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:17 AM

Pick the bits you like
    Ignore reality

Ask a Villa fan what they though of him

Sadly its not within your agenda

😉

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:18 AM

NY

He is a Jabba yes man and represents us doing another 13 years
    Another 13 years of existing to make Jabba money
    Without a care to compete in the league

I dont want another 13 glorious years of nowt

• NY Mag

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:20 AM

toon22,

If you’re talking to me about an agenda, then you’re way off the mark.
    If you’re talking to LG then you’re way,way off the mark 🙂

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:20 AM

Im not alone in my opinion

Look at the crowd

He can give away tickets as much as he likes
    In the end we will end up like the mackems

Lets hope he makes enough money from us by then so he wont care ?

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:21 AM

Nope

Dont think so

I disagree with you on every level
    Your playing devils advocate ?

I would say you can see what side your arguing

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:23 AM

Until he is gone Jabba will suck the like out of our club
    Its what he does to everything he touches

We are a tat shop advert thats making him money from football

• NY Mag

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:26 AM

I was simply trying to discuss with you (in a sensible manner) your opinions on Bruce,.
    You’ve since changed the conversation around to Ashley…I never mentioned him.

And now you’re back to your usual fluff….why can’t you just talk to other posters about other topics in a civil manner?

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:26 AM

Have you noticed how this years fakeover has been met with derision ?
    Its insulting now

We are sick of it

Even the PR and his mates in the media havent bothered with it

Its embarrassing

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:28 AM

OK

What makes the traitor good at anything ?

He is a relegation specialist
    Hasnt won a thing as a manager in his life
    Might as well be a mackem

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:28 AM

22,
    No SBR lie, Robson wasn’t overly popular at Barca for most of his time there.

Yes, Bruce was managing Wednesday when we got/approached him. Not sure what difference it all makes is the real point? Whether he said no previously, or took a new job while in a job, it doesn’t really make much difference. Managers move clubs, players move clubs. Seems a daft reason to dislike him, tis all.

Is he a more successful, tactically astute, knowledgable manager than Rafa? No, and I would imagine that he would admit that if you asked him off record.

His celebration for Sunderland is pretty tough to stomach, and I’m sure he probably regrets it, but traitor is OTT I think. I do get the dislike on this point.

Will he be ‘successful’ here (as far as success under Ashley gets us)? Who knows. He is doing okay under the constraints – which he agreed to – so fingers crossed. Ashley is the issue, not Bruce. But I would expect that if we got eid of Ashley, Bruce would follow quite swiftly afterwards.

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:31 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

Ahh lets ignore the point
    He was the manager at Barca
    He was under contract
    They wouldnt release him, and as a man of honour he stayed
    I can see how you confused that wit ha guy who dumped his current club, not for the first time, under shamefull circumstances

Ive no idea how you could even bring yourself to even mention his name here as a supporter

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:32 AM

The traitor is the symptom
    Jabba the disease

What the point ?

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:34 AM

How long do you think it will take for us to erect a statue of the traitor outside of SJP ?

Or care less about Jabba ?

You actually support our club ??

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:35 AM

22,
    A (singular) Villa fan threw a cabbage, and was pretty roundly condemed by the majority of their fans. One of our fans punched a horse, every club has the odd idiot element within their fanbase.

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:38 AM

He was a total nightmare at Villa
    I wont bother linking what the media said in the end
    To be fair it also wasnt he only club he left in utter disarray

Hes good at that

Thats not yer point though

Your defending what the PR needs to defend
    You even brought up SBR and shed him in the same light

What club do you support?

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:40 AM

Its tough defending the indefensible
    I can understand that

But honestly bringing up SBR is scrapping the barrel in a way youll never understand

This is a good place to look for something your good at

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:44 AM

22,
    Shameful circumstances? It was hardly graceful, but neither club came out smelling of roses either over the whole debacle, and managers and players move clubs all the time in similar circumstances.

Sir Bobby was at Barca and not popular with players or the board. They forced him to stay before forcing him upstairs a few months later? I’m pretty certain Bobby has even said he stayed to honour his contract – as Bruce stated he did when we tried to take him from Birmingham (something you condem him for).

Did I want Bruce? No, I was annoyed/angry/upset/dejected/stunned in disbelief when it was all going on. But then you look at it for face value and how he performs in the role. Currently, under the constraints and with the players available, he is doing okay.

Other managers would be doing better, others would be doing worse. 5th in the form table over the last 10 games is alright. Will he maintain it? Time will tell, and when I don’t like what I see, I will say that. Like I did after West Ham, despite that being against the grain with most.

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:46 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

The fans have had enough
    The PR wants to gloss over it

Your post pritty much sums up what toon fans have stopped believing

Good luck with the career at KBA

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:47 AM

22,
    Haha, I thought I was now PR, why would I need to find a job?

I do agree with you on one point though, defending the indefensible is very difficult. This definitely isn’t that though.

• The next Mike Williamson

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:48 AM

lilongwe
    bruce was at villa quite a while and was rubbish throughout. hed been failing long before his parents took ill. and his parents werent dying through his whole career.

hes out of his depth in 2019 as are all his peers and its just a matter of how long he can survive by saying just do what rafa did or letting his players manage. i cant see evidence of one succesful change bruce has made. bruce has never had a defence like this in his career. hes never played this way. so you have to give rafa credit or blame. can bruce tske credit for our attack? would he want to? or does that dubious honour go to nickson. yes he played matty but for now im going to assume hes still a bad manager and the longer he stays the worse we will get.

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:48 AM

Or maybe youve got 10/20 k freinds who want to buy tickets to the match

Remember the atmosphere inside the ground ?

Its a distant memory

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:49 AM

\LMFAO

TNMW to the rescue

We ara all that stupid

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:50 AM

22,
    Which post sums up? The one thqt states Ashley is the problem, and focussing on Bruce deflects attention, or that while Ashley is here success will just be staying in the league no matter who the manager?

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:50 AM

You have tried to compare the traitor to SBR

And at the same time claim you support the toon

The two things cant exist in the same place

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:55 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

Our clubs stated goal is simply staying in the league with the minimum outlay
    While Jabba gambles on players
    Without caring about competing

You think SBR would have played along with it ?

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:56 AM

You think SBR would have put up with Jabba ?
    Or maybe would have seen out his contract as an honorable man ?

I can see how you might get confused

• NY Mag

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:02 AM

Actually toon22, you stated that one of the reasons you disliked Bruce was that he didn’t join us previously when he was asked.
    LG, simply pointed out that this was also the case with SBR, he didn’t compare anything other than that point.

As usual,you are taking things out of context….as you always do

You make a connection that doesn’t exist, extrapolate it to the nth degree and then end up questioning people’s credentials as a supporter. You really need to question your own motives in this case

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:02 AM

TNMW,
    Di Matteo won once against Rotherham in their first 11 league games. Bruce won 7 of the next 12. They were 19th when he joined, and finished 13th, before coming 4th under Bruce the next season. He was fairly popular at that point with Villa fans.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:10 AM

TNMW,
    None of that makes him a great Premier League manager,or someone who should have got the job here, but he wasn’t always terrible and hated at Villa.

In terms of how he is doing here, he definitely is benefitting from the organisation of the back line, but I do think he also has us being more adventurous and freeing up our attacking players a bit more to give us more threat. That none of them can finish is a different matter all together.

I think the pace on the break is absolutely crucial to how we are setting up. How he would adjust if we were to lose just one of them to injury for any length of time is definitely a major cause for concern.

I do think there have been signs of small changes to the set up and style, but we are aleays going to be riding our luck if our forwards can’t start scoring. If they were to start taking chances, we could give someone a hammering.

He wouldn’t have been anywhere near a long kist, let alone short list for the job, but he is here. I’d prefer Rafa, I’d prefer probably close to 90% of the other Prem club managers, but until Ashley goes, here we are.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:13 AM

22,
    At 65, firstly I have compared one action.

Secondly, please explain how that does the below;

“Your post pritty much sums up what toon fans have stopped believing”

• NY Mag

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:16 AM

LG @ 70,

That pretty much sums up my current thoughts.
    There was many people who had us relegated or out of reach by Christmas.

• Unused Substitute

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:32 AM

My problem with Bruce is not the baggage that he carries but the confusion that surrounds him. He doesn’t seem to be an effective communicator. He doesn’t instill confidence among those around him; fans as well as players. This is not to say he is unprofessional or he is not trying to do much as his limited capability permits.

Initially he was all ga-ga about the expensive squad he was given to deal with. Then players started running around during a match telling him things he was trying not working. Couldn’t believe that possible in pro football. Subsequently, when results weren’t coming, he blamed the system put in place by Rafa. He never made any noise about how the ownership can try to make things better. For probably the last opportunity of managing an EPL team he is totally beholden to Ashley.

I think we will survive this season without a problem because of the system put in place by Rafa. Question is what after that wears off.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:36 AM

NY,
    There is a lot of hyperbole on here, and online generally. So far, we have probably picked up more points than I anticipated. There have been awful performances okay performances and good performances. I do think there is slight improvement over the course of the season, but time will tell.

• Unused Substitute

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:40 AM

Back to Monday’s game. AV are under pressure with a string of poor (albeit close) results. That could affect a home team quite a bit. That’ll work for us, I presume. Logically, though, I’d be happy with a point.

• NY Mag

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:45 AM

LG,

Again, can’t argue with any of that….I’ve really enjoyed watching the last couple of games, long may it continue 🙂

• NY Mag

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:47 AM

Unused substitute,

Yes, I agree – I would be happy with a point, although based on current form I would like a win 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:08 AM

NY,
    January will be interesting. Bruce has never exactly been compliant with owners when he doesn’t get his way. This summer, he will have had zero choice on who came. All the leg work had been done long before him.

January, I’m sure he would like to have input, and be seen to have input. Will he? Will he say anything if he doesn’t get what he wants?

He is playing the window and discussions on transfers down at the moment, but I think that will be very much just for the public. He will have made suggestions and put forward names by now.

Whether he gets them, and how he reacts if he doesn’t and has players he doesn’t want forced on him will be a major factor in winning the crowd round. It is never easy to tell who wanted the players, there was a spell when people I spoke to thought Schaar was not a Rafa signing, Ki was another Charnley signing – that was until they started to play and perform well.

He would want Bowen, but I doubt he would have much interest in, or knowledge of half the player rumours so far.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:10 AM

After my comment at 71, Toon22 seemed to make himself scarce…. Was that a case of finding it very difficult to defend the indefensible, as he said earlier.

• NY Mag

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:34 AM

LG,

I agree, the winter window will be telling (although it won’t be the ‘be all’)
    The winter window is notoriously difficult to get ‘value’ because clubs reallly don’t want to sell unless it’s a good deal for them.

I do think we’ll get a couple of players in, but that also depends on who we can move on – we have a full squad and I doubt that we’ll accept paying additional players who are not named in the first team squad.

Domestic loans are probably the most realistic – since we haven’t used that so far this year.

But if we do move any players on, then yes, I can see some replacements coming in.