web analytics

Steve Bruce Happy To Hand Armband To Popular Pro

When Jamaal Lascelles left the pitch against Bournemouth with his leg injury, Jonjo Shelvey was given the captain’s armband. Jonjo, who had just come into the team the week before at West Ham, handled the added responsibility well and continued to build on his excellent performance from the week before.

With Lascelles sidelined until at least Christmas with a fractured tibia, Newcastle will need someone to deputize for the 26-year-old over what could amount to around 9 fixtures.

While the club have some excellent candidates to fill the role in Fede Fernandez, Fabian Schar, or Isaac Hayden, it looks like Steve Bruce will soldier forward with Jonjo as the skipper.

Steve Bruce made the following comments about Shelvey as published in the Daily Mail:

“Jonjo seems to be the normal one, to put (the armband) on him, and I’ve got no problem with that.

“If it seems to be that way then I won’t upset that, we’ll give it to him.

“He’s got this perception about him that he doesn’t care – that’s wrong. He’s a good pro, he’s a good lad, and he’s popular. He trains well and I’ve got no problem with him.”

Steve Bruce is top-notch with his handling of this squad of players. Shelvey is a bit of a wildcard player. He runs hot and cold, but when dialed in, he provides qualities that no one else in the group can.

Bruce giving Jonjo this extra responsibility can hopefully keep the enigmatic playmaker focused and firing away. We’ll see if Shelvey can continue with his good run of form on Monday at Aston Villa.

With Jonjo, we always hesitate and wait for what seems to be an inevitable drop in form. Maybe Steve Bruce can get this unique talent to find the consistency he has lacked in his career.

What Will Be The Result In Monday's Match At Aston Villa?

• Win (55%, 609 )
  • Draw (28%, 309 )
  • Loss (16%, 181 )

Total Voters: 1,099

Loading ... Loading ...

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:54 AM

NY Mag

If it’s 8pm Monday evening KO and you are five hours behind us then surely that has to be early Tuesday morning?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:58 AM

Personally I don’t think Shelvey is inconsistent i reckon that’s a misconception of how he plays and he’s well worth the captains armband imo.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 23, 2019 at 2:01 AM

This time thing is getting me confused thinking further about it, it’s around 9pm where you are now so yes it’ll be 3pm Monday for the game.

Think i’d better got to bed!

G’d Night all.

• NY Mag

Nov 23, 2019 at 2:01 AM

Bill,

I am 5 hours behind the UK…..8 minus 5 is 3 😀

I guess you’re thinking 5 hours ahead, which would probably put me somewhere in India

• NY Mag

Nov 23, 2019 at 2:03 AM

Time zones are confusing for everyone……especially when you cross many of them.
    There been many times I have literally not known what day it is 🙂

• NY Mag

Nov 23, 2019 at 2:05 AM

Anyway, goodnight Bill

Let’s hope we get some results that are favorable for us tomorrow!!

• NY Mag

Nov 23, 2019 at 2:06 AM

Rob,

From previous….I agree – 5 points from the next four games is very achievable.

• Scythe For Bruce

Nov 23, 2019 at 3:01 AM

Time zones are even worse when the clocks change in one country but not the other, which is ridiculous. Sometimes it’s six hours apart, other times it’s only four. Usually only happens for a week or two before the other country changes their clocks and we’re back to five hours again 🙂

• Ginger

Nov 23, 2019 at 4:39 AM

Hey Ed/Family,

I’m not sure if this has been commented upon yet in regards to your health update as I tend to not read the comments much anymore, but I read your blog literally every day whilst I’m working and have done for the past 6/7 year. I just want you to speak for everyone that doesn’t comment much or at all yet reads every day, that we’re routing for you and we love the community you’ve created.

• sing in the corner

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:41 AM

“If it seems to be that way then I won’t upset that, we’ll give it to him.

Bruce still in his defensive bunker.
    I wish he would get some balls and stop dodging responsibility. When he says stuff like that it just seems to me he is setting up excuses before he does anything.
    Bruce has been here long enough to assess the players himself, make a decision,own it and stand by it.
    There are limited choices of captain in the current circumstances,for sure,but it’s the inference that his predecessor did it first..

• sing in the corner

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:53 AM

Neil mentions Fabian and Fede as possibilities.
    Schar is in good form,could be a good choice but there’s a question mark over his temperament for me,he can lack concentration on what he’s doing defensively,never mind organising everybody else. Hot headed at times. Fernandez would be canny but are we saying he would start most of the 9 games across the busy schedule over the next month and s bit?
    And Hayden.. not really. He’s got that reckless trait that has a habit of dropping us in the shoyte at just the wrong time.
    Dummett? Fitness permitting.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:34 AM

sitc,
    Welcome back, where have you been.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:39 AM

RobLeenio,
    Please don’t try and play the injured party, I left my reason of what I thought a team in transition implied, despite it’s definition in whatever dictionary you copied it from. You then went on to say I didn’t do English very well, considering it’s my first language you’re basically calling me stupid by saying that, how do you expect me to react to that.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:43 AM

On the captaincy, I think Bruce should give it to who ever can relay Rafa’s tactics the best, because so far when things have gone wrong, Lascelles has ran to the touchline and said this is how Rafa would have done it while Bruce is stood with his arms folded thinking what would Rafa have done here.

• Nufc-83

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:53 AM

Clearly should be Clarke. When he came back in the side he was the one speaking in the pre match huddles even when lascelles was there.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:56 AM

Nufc-83,
    If he’s fit that might not be a bad shout, big occasion for him as well.

• hibbit

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:58 AM

Clarke would be my choice

• Jib

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:16 AM

I think it should be Dubravka
    Unless the midfielder/captain
    is clearly the best player in the
    side , the defenders can take
    the hump when they are bollocked
    for errors
    Whereas the goalie always has the
    big picture in front of him and defenders
    are used to beng shouted at by a goalie

• sing in the corner

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:37 AM

JfA
    Been dodging about,but fell a month behind and spent some time trying to catch up and getting neewhere haha

• sing in the corner

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:40 AM

Clarke’s not a bad shout actually

• cyprus

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:49 AM

I do think he’s inconsistent and that some things he can’t do anyway (eg. tackle, run fast etc.), but he does have that pass and SB’s comments about his professionalism are great.

On the game, as has been the case for many years, depends on which Newcastle will show up. If it’s anything like the last couple games, easy win.

I think it will be something in between. A score draw.

• sing in the corner

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:51 AM

Oops,echo in here 🙂

• cyprus

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:54 AM

Jib
    Hard to communicate with the CF. And, he’s error prone. Of course, captains are entitled to mistakes, I hear you say.

For me, it’s Ritchie, when fit. Motivated, a motivator. Even if you score you could get slapped badly. Yet, like Jonjo, his position isn’t secure.

• sing in the corner

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:54 AM

It’ll be interesting to see what effect Almiron’s sudden goal rush has on his confidence!

• IrishRob

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:12 AM

I just realised we never ever win monday night games, I’ll revise my statement made yesterday to, were not gonna score a single goal and we will loose 2 or 3 nil.

• Swlabr

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:26 AM

Irish Rob….now you’re just being mean.

• AncientC

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:40 AM

Don’t let Rotonda witness you confusing ‘loose’ and ‘lose’, that’s one of his triggers.

A truly difficult festive season awaits, what with no international fixtures. The struggle is real…

• IrishRob

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:51 AM

Swlabr, huh?? How? What’s mean about saying I think they will lose because it’s a Monday night? I think we have either one win in 13-14 matches on a Monday night or its 13-14 losses in a row on monday night. It’s hardly mean to state a fact.

• Lindisfarne

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:15 AM

GUARDIAN – Newcastle so far

Best performance? The win over Man United: organised, determined, gritty. Matty Longstaff’s fairytale winner reminded us how magical football can be.

And the worst? The 3-1 defeat to Norwich. It was shambolic and aimless, the antithesis of Benítez-style football.

Happy with the manager? It was hard to have confidence in Bruce after that Norwich defeat and truly awful showings against Brighton and Wolves, but there have been positives, too. And he’s not to blame for our chronic lack of investment in the final third.

Why I love … Allan Saint-Maximin The jury’s out on his end product but he definitely gets fans off their seats.

What is “the Newcastle way”? Fast-flowing, scintillating football with a talismanic striker banging in the goals. We’re a long way from that.

Which figure from the past would you most want to bring back now? Kevin Keegan: player/manager, ideally. A man who could galvanise an entire city, never mind just a football club.

How are you feeling about VAR? It’s been positive for us, so fine – but it’s hardly been a seamless introduction.

Funniest moment so far … Matt “Radgie” Ritchie congratulating Christian Atsu for a fine interception by booting him up the backside.

• Ron Knee

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:30 AM

Has the site been down for a while?

• Jib

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:33 AM

Nope

• TomaKaThor

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:39 AM

Dont mind Shelvey in the team but Captain? Not my choice he hardly inspires fighting spirit with his body language and tendancy to lash out like a sulking child at times, and i cant say i have noticed him being vocal on the pitch

• Ron Knee

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:42 AM

Odd, Jib. Other sites working well but I couldn’t access this one.

• Jib

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:08 AM

Ron I think it’s raining over the western Atlantic
    😛

• Ron Knee

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:09 AM

Jib, My nan used to blame the weather on “them bombs”.

• Jib

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:17 AM

Ron
    Your nan may not have been too wide of the mark

• RobLeenio

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:25 AM

Jail, fair enough, of course I don’t think you’re stupid, sorry if I caused offence.

There was still no call for your snarky response to a reasonable point.