This was the team for the 2-0 bubble bursting defeat at Villa Park, including the three second-half substitutions.
Here are our individual player ratings for the match.
Martin Dubravka – 7
- Dubravka made the saves to keep us in the match again. Not too much to do until the first goal where he could have set the wall up better. Could do nothing on the second one as he was completely let down by his defense. Made two outstanding saves on Ezri Konsa and Wesley in the second half. Looked a little shaky in commanding his area at times. Though, he was probably our best player last night.
Deandre Yedlin – 3
- Yedlin was exposed in the first half and had trouble with Jack Grealish. His foul on the Villa captain was a silly one in a dangerous area, and Newcastle were punished for it. He was a decent outlet up the pitch but didn’t provide too much service. Did well to pick out Andy Carroll with a second-half cross. His place could be under threat after this poor display. Emil Krafth could provide more defensive solidity against Manchester City this weekend whereas Yedlin is just going to get picked apart.
Paul Dummett – 3
- Paul was dreadful on set pieces last night. He fell asleep on the second goal as Anwar El Ghazi blew by him. He was also beaten in the second half on a corner that fell to Konsa, but Dubravka saved his blushes. He did make a few crucial clearances before being replaced by Andy Carroll. Paul will not keep his place after this display. It will likely be Clark back to the left side or Florian Lejeune to make his season debut this weekend.
Fede Fernandez – 5
- Fernandez was our best defender but was not as good as he had been over the past few matches. He seemed to have missed the presence of Lascelles in the middle and probably would have been a better choice to play in the middle of the back three rather than Ciaran Clark. His poor challenge on Grealish gave away a free-kick in a dangerous area which led to the second goal. He did have an excellent header late in the first-half that was saved by Heaton. It will be interesting to see where he plays next week. He should keep his place but Schar will likely be back on the right this weekend.
Ciaran Clark – 5
- Clark struggled in the center of the back three in place of Lascelles. He’s just not as commanding a presence as our injured captain. He did an ok job but struggled a bit with Aston Villa’s attackers. He’s going to be pushed by Florian Lejeune this week in training for sure.
Jetro Willems – 6
- Jetro was one of our better players on the night. He tried to create something down the left, but the team just couldn’t get anything fruitful going. He did a solid job defensively to minimize Aston Villa’s threats down his side of the pitch. Struggled to link up with Saint-Maximin as Newcastle just couldn’t get it going in the final third.
Jonjo Shelvey – 5
- It was a disappointing performance from Jonjo, but he may have been a victim of Newcastle’s conservative approach. He was set too far deep, especially in the first half. However, he played some threatening long-balls to Miguel Almiron and DeAndre Yedlin that they both squandered. He was not inspired by the captaincy, and his place will be under threat with Sean Longstaff back from suspension this weekend.
Isaac Hayden – 5
- Hayden was also a victim of the first half approach where Newcastle were far too passive in letting Aston Villa dictate play. Issac still put in some strong challenges, but nothing really stuck out for the 24-year-old. He had a decent shot on goal midway through the second half as he drifted in from the right but it was right to Heaton. He should keep his place for next week but could be under threat from either of the Longstaff brothers.
Miguel Almiron – 2
- Just a poor performance all around for Almiron. He squandered every opportunity he got and also was not as active as he usually is. His wayward shooting and heavy touches in good areas killed Newcastle last night. Defensively he was not as committed as we have seen in recent matches. He was far too easily beaten on an El Ghazi cross that found Wesley in the box. Luckily the Brazilian couldn’t get his shot past Dubravka. His place should be under threat for next week. Christian Atsu was an instant improvement as soon as he replaced the Paraguayan.
Allan Saint-Maximin – 6
- Allan again was our best threat going forward though he too was quite average in his attempts on goal. He had a great shot just before the break that forced Heaton into a fine save. He did his job on the defensive end but couldn’t form a link with Willems down the left like in the past few weeks.
Joelinton – 3
- It was another day of frustration for the Brazilian. While the effort was there, the quality was not. He didn’t hold the ball up very well and offered no threat in the final third. If we thought Andy Carroll could last longer than 45 minutes, we would be calling for Joelinton to be pulled from the team. However, Andy does not look fit enough to start just yet. The problem is that Newcastle have nothing behind Big Joe to allow him to find his feet. He is also screaming for some service. We need a player like Jack Grealish at Newcastle who can create in the final third. Our three forwards are not creators nor finishers and that is a big issue.
Andy Carroll – 5
- Andy did a decent job when he came on but like Joelinton didn’t get too many opportunities. He showed his technique when he won a Yedlin cross and superbly chested it down for a right-footed shot. Unfortunately, it was right at the Villa keeper. He’s still likely to remain a part-time player going forward.
Dwight Gayle – 5
- Poor Dwight Gayle got on the pitch for his longest outing of the season and got just 2 touches. He was reportedly agitated after the game with the lack of service his way. It’s not working out for Dwight who needs more time on the pitch. However, the only way to get him in is to change the system. After the debacle at Leicester City, we have grave concerns about Bruce trying that.
Christian Atsu – n/a
- Not enough time on the pitch to give a rating though Newcastle seemed to improve as soon as he replaced Almiron. It may be time to bring the Ghanaian back into the team.
Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 2-0 Defeat At Aston Villa?
- Martin Dubravka (44%, 322 )
- A. Saint-Maximin (28%, 203 )
- Jetro Willems (8%, 55 )
- Federico Fernandez (4%, 27 )
- Andy Carroll (3%, 20 )
- Isaac Hayden (2%, 17 )
- Jonjo Shelvey (2%, 17 )
- DeAndre Yedlin (2%, 15 )
- Miguel Almiron (2%, 11 )
- Joelinton (1%, 10 )
- Dwight Gayle (1%, 9 )
- Christian Atsu (1%, 9 )
- Paul Dummett (1%, 8 )
- Ciaran Clark (1%, 5 )
Total Voters: 728