web analytics

Expect This Youngster To Be Reinvigorated When He Returns

Sean Longstaff’s three-match ban for his red card against Wolves has finally ended, and he comes into the reckoning for Saturday’s match against Manchester City. When Isaac Hayden was available after his suspension, he went straight back into the team.

The situations are a little different as Isacc had made 27 straight Premier League starts before his three-match ban. Sean has been in and out of the team due to various reasons.

He was rested at Norwich City since he was still coming back from his knee injury from last season. He also spent a few games on the sidelines with an ankle injury in September.

However, for the most part, when Sean’s been available to play, he’s been in the starting eleven. So there is a good chance he will make his return this Saturday.

Though, this is not an iron-clad certainty by any means. Sean has yet to reach the heights of last season apart from the Manchester United win when he paired with his younger brother Matty in possibly the high point of this campaign.

Speaking to the Chronicle, Sean vows that he is ready to fight for his place. However, he has also used his time away to recharge his batteries, and that could pay big dividends when Sean gets back in the team.

This is what the 22-year-old had to say as he prepares for Saturday’s big game:

“I have been working extra hard to keep up with the lads. Hopefully, now I am available I can hit the ground running and give the manager a headache and get back in the team.

“The positive way of looking at it is I am fresh now. Obviously, I want to play as many games as I can but the red card happened.

“I was disappointed with that. But it allowed me to take a step back and look at other things.

“I’ve seen things from another perspective, get into the gym and get stronger. I will hopefully come back firing on all cylinders.

“There are a lot of games around Christmas and it will be a chance for me to impress.”

This is a good attitude for Sean to have as he could do nothing about the suspension so the best course of action was to try and use it to his advantage.

Longstaff has looked sluggish at times this season, and the hope is this past month has helped him get refreshed. If you think about it, he came straight back from a terrible knee injury and has started almost every game except for the two where he was out with his ankle injury.

Sean’s been able to focus just on training over the past month without any other worries. He’s concentrated on getting his body right while taking a mental break of sorts.

However, he’ll be itching to get back into the team and try to get Newcastle back on track. We think he will get straight back into the team on Saturday and hope to see an inspired performance from the Geordie midfielder.

What Will Be The Result Of Saturday's Match Against Manchester City?

• Loss (76%, 878 )
  • Win (13%, 150 )
  • Draw (11%, 131 )

Total Voters: 1,159

Loading ... Loading ...

• Nicky the ball tosser

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:12 PM

They usually play 4123, similar to us up top, but with an extra man in central midfield attack and one pivot or holding mid.

You’d think we’d play Longstaff and Hayden in front of the back 3 and try to get the fullbacks forward if we can.

The most obvious big problem for us will be Sterling and De Bruyne playing between the lines, essentially getting in behind the wingbacks, particularly on the counter. But if we play a flat back 5, then the same thing that happened at Villa will more than likely happen again.

We’ll simply have little attacking threat and lose. So expect the fullbacks to push on. Lot of work in store for them then, because they must of course do the job both ways.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:14 PM

geordietom

Wasn’t it £6m a year to be paid back for Sissoko, we sold him August 2016 so that is three years paid off by my reckoning therefore £12m still owed.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:17 PM

Don’t see him starting but should be on the bench, not sure who he’ll replace though, could be his brother!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:35 PM

If we set up the same way as City then Shelvey would be in the side, or if it were against less senior opposition, but I don’t know if he’ll play on Saturday, because our midfield two will be charged with essentially breaking up play and protecting the back 3. It’ll be all about shape, winning the ball and keeping it simple in there. Not really Jonjo’s game. If he does play we will be that bit more vulnerable.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:41 PM

This side
    ……………Dubravka.
    ……..Schar..Fedi..Lejeune.
    Yedlin..Hayden..Lobby..Willems.
    ……..Almiron…………St Max.
    …………………Joel.

Fullbacks push on, Schar and Lejeune to hit them with those splendid pinged long cross field balls of theirs.

No need to thank me Steve.

• Mindshaft

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:44 PM

Hibbit – from previous , yup that was the guy – sure the blog was funnier during bzg takeover , seems to be full of bitterness and agendas now .. ho hum , a lot of posters left post fake takeover as the bitter died constantly slagged them off for being itk even if they were just posting rumours… Ah well, roll on the next fatty /bishop made up story

• Mindshaft

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:45 PM

Funnily enough the bitter old gets are still here

• RobLeenio

Nov 28, 2019 at 10:07 PM

EGB “Bloody ell, that guy looks like he’s straight out of a Mega City Block”

P!ssed myself. I was always more of a Rogue Trooper fan, myself, but Dredd is obviously awesome – particularly the Dark Judges / Judge Death story arcs.

You and me are definitely brothers from another mother, confirmed!

When I feel down about NUFC, I often imagine Ashley with a little wheel under that belly of his and it always makes me feel better.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Nov 28, 2019 at 10:08 PM

This is the 11 I’d personally play, although I doubt it’s really on the cards.
    …………Dubravka.
    ……..Schar..Fedi..Lejeune.
    Manq..Hayden..Lobby..Willems.
    …….Joel…………St Max.
    ……………Carrol.

• RobLeenio

Nov 28, 2019 at 10:10 PM

Mindshaft, agree one hundred percent on the atmosphere on the blog around the early Summer. Also agree a good number of posters were chased off by negativity afterwards. Not just new posters, either.

• Just a fan

Nov 28, 2019 at 10:33 PM

Jail walks into a bar.
    Everybody walks out.

• toon22

Nov 28, 2019 at 11:07 PM

Just a fan

Hiya JIB

Essex Geordie Bill

That 6 million has funded the expenditure on players for a while now, hasnt it ( 6 million net)
    Wonder where the tv money went ?

• toon22

Nov 28, 2019 at 11:08 PM

Rob

Lets stay positive ?
    While Jabba asset strips the club ?

• Just a fan

Nov 28, 2019 at 11:18 PM

Toon 22 walks into a shop.
    Excuse me have you any algorithms mine are getting a bit repetitive.
    Well sir its best you go and see jail he has the same problem.

• jane

Nov 28, 2019 at 11:23 PM

“When I feel down about NUFC….”

i read SMB

• captainmarvel

Nov 28, 2019 at 11:26 PM

There is nothing positive about NUFC absolute zilch. Ashley holds all the cards, just sitting there waiting until someone comes along who might take the bait. Even then I would like to bet he will still want some of the cake, that is why I believe potential bidders back off its a pointless exercise…

• lesh

Nov 28, 2019 at 11:29 PM

Essex

Careful when you refer to reading the DT. Jib probably suffers it.

But on a positive note, reading it where you do, you’ll always wash your hands after doing so. 🙂

• toon22

Nov 28, 2019 at 11:43 PM

Just a Fan

Just another boring alt of JIB

Who do you think he will pretend to sell us to next time JIB, and his many alts ?