Newcastle have confirmed that Matt Ritchie has had another operation on his ankle.
Newcastle United can confirm that Matt Ritchie has undergone a second operation on the ankle injury he sustained during the Carabao Cup clash with Leicester City in August. #NUFC https://t.co/lkER0ifC7a
— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) November 28, 2019
This is the statement from the club’s website.
Newcastle United can confirm that Matt Ritchie has undergone a second operation on the ankle injury he sustained during the Carabao Cup clash with Leicester City in August.
Ritchie sustained the injury following a challenge by Foxes midfielder Hamza Choudhury and was forced to have an initial surgical procedure in October.
The 30-year-old will continue his rehabilitation on Tyneside and is expected to return to action in January 2020.
This is very disappointing news, but Steve Bruce stated after the Aston Villa match that Ritchie was not close to fitness. He, however, did not give any indication that the situation was this grim with Ritchie having to go under the knife for a second time.
This is what Bruce said a few days ago:
“Unfortunately he is not near fitness at the moment.
“He has seen a specialist last week and he said to give him another rest and see if that does it.
“We will see what happens in the next couple of weeks but at the moment he is still not ready to return.”
That tackle from Hamza Choudhury has devasted Matt Ritchie’s season. He’s already been out for three months, and now it could be another two months of recovery for the 30-year-old.