web analytics

Great Expectations From Former England International For Struggling Trio

Steve Bruce said after the Aston Villa defeat that he would persevere with his front three of Allan Saint-Maximin, Joelinton, and Miguel Almiron.

True to his word, he stuck with the three in yesterday’s draw against Manchester City. While there were again no goals from the trio, Miguel Almiron was able to get his first Newcastle assist on the excellent goal from Jetro Willems.

Bruce was again asked if he was going to continue with the three after the game yesterday. Sounding a little perturbed by the question, this was the head coach’s response:

“Look, I have to answer the question with you all the time. Allan and Almiron today were excellent in their work.

“I’m delighted for Miggy. He’s got an assist – great goal from Jetro.

“We’ve seen three quality goals and we’ve got two of them, so it was lovely to watch.”

Bruce still needs to get more out of his forwards if Newcastle are going to progress this season.

Joelinton– Newcastle need more from record signing

Former England international and BT Sport pundit Joe Cole seems to think that there is definite potential for Newcastle’s attackers. The Chronicle have published some of Cole’s comments from last night:

“With that run of fixtures there. I am looking at Saint-Maximin and Joelinton today.

“If you can get a hold of those strikers and say ‘listen, in these situations when we get the ball, just go and put the brakes on, and find a pass.’

“I think there is a lot of growth in this team. The defense is settled, so you have that base. The front three, I think with a little bit of work on the training pitch, I think there is improvements to be made in this team.

“I wouldn’t be surprised to see this team finish comfortably in mid-table and then next season the excitement can grow for it again.

“I really like Newcastle.”

There is work to do for sure but Newcastle’s attackers do have quality. They just aren’t getting it done in terms of goals. Joelinton stills seems to be too isolated and is not getting into the box near enough as our lone striker.

We like the work-rate of Saint-Maximin and Almiron. Both are dangerous with the ball at their feet; however, it gets complicated for them when a final ball is needed.

Bruce, it appears, will stick with the front three for the time being. He made some tweaks earlier this season to get the wing-backs to carry more of a threat going forward.

He’s also gotten Newcastle to get some goals from set-pieces that were lacking early in the campaign. If he can get this front three to start scoring, then we could see Newcastle really on the incline.

• Munster Mag

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:44 PM

22 you are one weird chicken.

• Jib

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:44 PM

Some won’t like this paragraph

It is still only one goal and two assists between the front trio, but worth remembering that Ayoze Perez and Salomon Rondon only scored three between them by this stage last year before vastly improving those statistics in the second half of the season.

• 9

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:45 PM

Rob@37 No,pal. Toon22 keeps repeating a statement. I’m repeating a very simple question, hoping for some answers. I have every confidence you can appreciate the difference.

• carltoon

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:46 PM

Why not all the other teams are playing mid week as well. So yes they have to share them out. Jibs right. There would be a fixture back log.

• Jib

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:49 PM

‘Superb footballer’ – Alex McLeish lavishes praise on Newcastle United goalscorer Jonjo Shelvey

Let me think for a second
    who is likely to know more about footy ?

the above
    or
    some blogger called Paully

• NY Mag

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:54 PM

Carltoon,

I guess it’s about media exposure (as always) – spread the games over as many days as possible…maximize the TV coverage.
    We can’t really complain, when 60%+ of our revenue come from that 🙂

• carltoon

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:57 PM

Of course it is. But we still be playing 2 games in a week to fit them in before the end of the season. NYmag I hope your not arguing with me!!!!.I did say I might be wrong. Ha ha but I’m not.

• Jib

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:59 PM

NY Mag

But they haven’t

Amazon’s 20 games are crammed into 3 consecutive evenings in the same week
    in early December

I’m sure they would have preferred a better spread

• carltoon

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:02 PM

Jib they came late to the party.

• NY Mag

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:04 PM

Carltoon and Jib,

Not arguing or disagreeing with anyone – just giving a point of view 🙂

I wasn’t really talking about this specific set of games…just in general, how the media controls the EPL.

I’m not really bothered about the fixture list, the more games televised the better (for me at least)

• Jib

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:06 PM

the games were allotted in June

• NY Mag

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:10 PM

BTW, I would never argue with you, Carltoon……. 😀

• carltoon

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:12 PM

It’s so true. The fans don’t have any say in the matter. Really it’s great for people who love watching all football. It doesn’t bother me as I haven’t got any Sky BT or prime. I’m only interested in NUFC. I will watch England when they’re on.

• carltoon

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:14 PM

Ha ha of course you wouldn’t. Did you watch the match. I couldn’t go I was helping out at a Charity. I committed before I realized it as an early kick off.

• dougie

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:21 PM

Jib@42.Thats an interesting stat that.If our front 3 as it stands at the minute can improve their shooting boots we might be able to avoid relegation, but I doubt it.The Premier League is the best League in the world and as you well know,if the attackers can’t find the net it’s curtains.The parasite continues to gamble with the clubs future in the hope of making a few quid by buying cheap and selling high and advertising his tat shops..Sports Direct FC is a disgusting parody of what sport is all about.Its a zombie club with no ambition and it stinks.

• NY Mag

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:23 PM

Yes, I watched it.
    Not sure how to sum it up.
    I was expecting a disaster……but it was really entertaining, I was despondent when De Bruyne scored (what a goal) because I thought that was game over….but, Shelvey – what a touch of class that was (I’ve heard many commentators / pundits call Gerard world class in the past for doing the same thing)

• NY Mag

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:26 PM

Dougie,

As you’ve just said, the premier league is the best league in the world.

We’ve just matched the reigning champions…..you can’t at least be a little bit happy?

• Moonraker15

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:27 PM

Assassins
    Apparently Pochettino can’t take another job in the EPL or else he loses his £12.5 million compo from Spurs. Therefore it’s unlikely that Man Utd will recruit him, but I can’t see them putting up with OGS for much longer!

• NY Mag

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:32 PM

Moonraker,

Or ManU could pay him a £12.5M ‘signing’ bonus?

• toon22

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:33 PM

Im weird ?

JIB posts to his alts ( Just a Fan / Posada ) and pretends to have a conversation

• Jib

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:35 PM

toon22
    You forgot jane

• Moonraker15

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:37 PM

Joelinton’s a knacker and won’t be around long in my opinion!

• toon22

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:42 PM

JIB

Oh im sure there are quite a few more
    Im just on about the blatant ones

Jabba thinks rebranding his tat shops will help him compete with JD
    Take a look at the two shops and the amount he will have to change
    He cant even afford adverts lol

Lets hope he loses his shirt

• toon22

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:43 PM

Joe simply isnt a striker
    He lacks the basic skill needed

Lets just pretend we did actually spend 40 million on him

• welshgeordie9

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:44 PM

In Bruce we trust, ain’t that right Toon22.

• JohnJ

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:51 PM

Bumped into Ciaran Clark as he was going in to Wetherby Services earlier this evening and got a smile when I said to him “Wotcheer Bonny Lad”

• toon22

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:51 PM

I wouldnt trust the traitor with a MacDonalds balloon

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:55 PM

OK I’ll post a comment in the full expectation that the bus will immediately move!

toon22
    In an earlier comment you said to Jib ‘the rest of us arnt paid to post’ does that mean that the likes of me NY Mag, Robleenio et all are off your list of paid MA PR? Don’t really care just curious.

Jib you compared toon22 to a mozzy in a hot country and should be ignored, I just wish to point out that many of these pests carry nasty diseases and they are very difficult to just ignore!

• IrishRob

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:00 PM

9 but without being a dik it’s the only thing you say on here for the last long while. It doesnt appear to me that you are looking for the answer to the question when others have given you their opinions numerous times now. Just saying!

• NY Mag

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:01 PM

Bill,

Don’t count me out…..I’m still looking for a pay day 🙂

• welshgeordie9

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:03 PM

Ha ha ha

Dopey

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:08 PM

Lesh
    Thanks for the clarification, it’s so easy to get paranoid on the blog you can’t always tell if someones having a dig or making a joke. 🙂

As I just did I usually do a smiley face if I’m cracking a joke cos people can and do take offence so easily at times.

Especially if it’s from people you don’t expect it from.

• toon22

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:10 PM

Ahh

Let’s pretend nobody posts any pro Jabba rubbish ?
    Let’s pretend PR simply isn’t used ?

Let’s pretend fans haven’t got two brain cells to rub together

• Just a fan

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:11 PM

Toon22
    Your weirdness is not a problem it’s your repetivenes that’s the problem.

• toon22

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:16 PM

Hiya JIB

You don’t repeatedly defend Jabba then ?
    With just another alt

• carltoon

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:16 PM

??

• toon22

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:17 PM

How about all of those fakeovers ?

Repetitive?

• carltoon

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:17 PM

How do you post emojis

• posada

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:20 PM

Hiya Tool22.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:23 PM

toon22

OK I honestly believe that no one does post ‘pro jabba rubbish’ or that PR is used on the blog.

But I’m prepared to humour you and play your let’s pretend game, sounds like it might be fun.

And two brain cells wow, I’ll take that as a compliment, cheers! 🙂