What a month November was for Steve Bruce and the players. The team were stellar in three out of our four matches this month and, in true Newcastle fashion, also had a stinker against a team we should have done much better against in Aston Villa.
However, we managed two wins and an unexpected draw against the reigning champions. It was by far our best month points-wise with 7 as Newcastle doubled the number of wins on the season to 4.
The lads also more than doubled their goal totals with 7 in the month, bringing the season tally to 13. If Bruce can keep the team moving in this direction, it could actually turn out to be a decent season.
We have put out our poll for the best player of this past month. The poll is limited to only those players who did well in the individual polls for each of the four matches. From those polls, the following six players are up for our player of the month for November:
- While Martin was not able to keep a clean sheet this month, he was again outstanding as our shot-stopper. Martin won the polls as Newcastle’s top performer for the final two matches this month. He was one of our only players to show up for the lone loss this month at Aston Villa. Of course, the game he had this past Saturday against Manchester City was just outstanding.
- Ciaran Clark had another excellent month as he continued to rightfully keep his place in the team. Clark put in some top performances defensively and also has taken over the middle center-back position since Jamaal Lascelles went down against Bournemouth. One aspect that the 30-year-old has always brought to this team is his ability to get goals, especially on set-pieces. This month Clark was able to score against West Ham and Bournemouth.
- Federico Fernandez has been a monster at the back since coming into the team against Wolves to end last month. This month he’s played every game and put in some warrior-like performances. Two that stick out are the one against Bournemouth and this past Saturday against Manchester City. He also was able to score the second goal at West Ham in our 2-3 win to open the month.
- Allan has proven to be our most lethal threat since coming back from his hamstring injury that curtailed the start of his Newcastle career. While he’s yet to get his first goal or assist, the Frenchman’s runs have continued to cause the opposition problems. Our reigning player of the month for October also won the player of the match polls for our two wins against West Ham and Bournemouth.
- Jonjo Shelvey has been immense this month. He came in from the cold against West Ham for the suspended Sean Longstaff and has played his part in Newcastle’s recent resurgence. Shelvey scored two wonder goals at West Ham and against Man City to bookend the month. The 27-year-old has also been our stand-in captain since Bournemouth.
- The flying Dutchman has been some player for Newcastle this season. He’s gotten even better over the past month. Jetro put in a masterclass performance against Bournemouth, where he showed how complete a player he is. Jetro also got an assist on Fernandez’s goal at West Ham and a goal of his own this past weekend. The 25-year-old already looks to us like one of the best left-backs in the Premier League.
Who Was The Player Of The Month For November?
- A. Saint-Maximin (33%, 328 )
- Fede Fernandez (20%, 195 )
- Jetro Willems (16%, 163 )
- Martin Dubravka (12%, 117 )
- Ciaran Clark (10%, 103 )
- Jonjo Shelvey (9%, 85 )
Total Voters: 991