web analytics

Are Newcastle Tracking Elias Sorensen’s 17-Year-Old Teammate?

A report in HITC has noted that Newcastle are tracking Carlisle center-back Jarrad Branthwaite. The link originated in Sunday’s print version of the Sun.

Branthwaite was born in Carlisle and has risen through the Academy, making his debut this year. The 17-year-old also entered the Carlisle record books this season by becoming their youngest goal scorer.

In their 3-1 loss at Morecambe in the Leasing.com Trophy, Branthwaite scored his debut goal for his local club. It was a game that Newcastle striker Elias Sorensen started and played the full ninety minutes in.

Elias Sorensen and Jarrad Branthwaite– celebrating Branthwaite’s debut goal

After that game, the 6’4″ defender was interviewed and spoke about the brewing interest in his services. This is what the youngster said as published in the News and Star.

“I don’t really take any notice of that sort of thing. I just concentrate on playing my own game and trying my best for the team to make sure we get the results.

“I do find it quite easy because I’m humble and I don’t get carried away.

“My family have all been great with me too, talking me through things and keeping my feet on the ground.”

Branthwaite has broken into Carlisle’s first-team this season despite just turning 17 this past June. He’s made a total of 10 appearances in all competitions and become one of their starting center-backs since mid-October.

The £1m rated youngster is also being watched by both Celtic and Rangers in Scotland as well as Southampton. His contract runs until 2021, but Carlisle have an option to extend it for another year.

He could be a decent youngster for Newcastle to add to their Academy ranks in January or even next summer. Though they’ll want to act fast, as we can see that £1m fee rising significantly the more Branthwaite plays.

What Will Be The Result Of The Match At Sheffield United?

• Draw (37%, 459 )

• Clark (4%, 117 )
  • Dummett (2%, 48 )

Total Voters: 984

Loading ... Loading ...

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:46 PM

So will Bruce have learned from his mistakes against Villa and put them into practice against Sheffield United? We should really be taking the game to them and not camping on our 18 yard box!

We seem to look better against the bigger teams because we get a little more time on the ball and space but when teams press us and hound the likes of Shelvey off the ball we don’t seem to have a plan B other than HOOF IT!

• martoon

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:53 PM

I always wonder what does the phrase “Newcastle are tracking ……….” exactly mean? It could range from we have sent scouts to watch him to just reading reports about him and keeping a few notes!

• RobLeenio

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:06 PM

Looks like England are coming to SJP for a Euro warm-up game vs Romania before Euro 2020. Could be a cracking atmosphere.

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:08 PM

looking at the league id expect everton to start moving up once they change bosses, brighton are unlucky not to be higher as are villa so id expect them to be alright. bournemouth will be ok as long as howes in charge. west ham will change manager and survive.

id say we are in a false position and will struggle to maintain it. id say the same of palace and burnley so those two will slide down to join us. its a miracle sheff u are that high with value of their players so ive no idea if theyll slide.just goes to show a good manager is far more important than the players he uses.

bottom three. id expect one of them to go on a run and climb out. norwich and soton have good managers but bad players. watford are gone.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:14 PM

Rob all that was rubbish. The most annoying bit is your dismissive tone and if anyone is pompous boy it sure is you.

“Surely if you’re not part of the solution then you’re part of the problem and I’m afraid that not buying merchandise or attending the matches does not cut it – we’re all doing that.”

Firstly, PROVE we are ALL doing that. Or should I say “and you know this HOW?” As you like to say.

I reckon not contributing anything AT ALL to ANY of Mike’s enterprises from being a shirt buying, match going season ticket holder is a big contribution (which you deliberately belittled btw) and if everyone did it Mike would jump ship pronto as there would be no money in it.

And again, you know nothing of me and my life and what my other commitments are so you know what? Just button it with your pious accusations sunshine.

You are a self righteous faff with a sneaky tone and rather than get into “debate” you slyly make up tosh to get people, who admittedly should know better, to bite.

• cyprus

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:20 PM

I think our best cb is Fernandez, though all the rest are good. Best CBs we’ve ever had.

The Sheffield game will be a challenge. We’ve learned to play deep and on the counter, it works fine with the big teams but it looks awful when we do the same AND lose to the minnows.

What to do then? Play the game, don’t overrespect.

• G

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:26 PM

I still think the best individual CB I have seen in a Toon shirt for us in my life was Woodgate, but 3 of the current crop are definitely in my personal top 10.

• G

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:27 PM

Come to think of it, it would be easier to list the worst 10 I have seen in my life.

• RobLeenio

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:37 PM

Think I must have touched a nerve.

Wow!

The majority of NUFC fans I know are not going to games and are not buying merchandise (including me). This is not to belittle anything, I admire anyone making sacrifices, but it’s hardly above and beyond in the mould of Genjikai.

It doesn’t give you the right to talk down to the “throng of cheap-sock buyers” as you called them.

And you still accuse me of being ‘dismissive’ and ‘pompous’?

I’d ask what you think these ‘pious accusations’ are, but I’m not sure you’d give me a straight answer anyway. As for being sneaky, I told you last night I was debating and apologised for coming over the wrong way, I told you today I was annoyed – how is that sneaky?

I’ve always been the same on here, treated everyone the same, told them when I agree and told them when I think they’re talking cr@p. I’m sorry your ego doesn’t cope well with being told you’re wrong, but the fault for that is not with me ‘sunshine’ (sic).

• Scythe For Bruce

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:39 PM

The Sheffield United game will be tough. They’re not in seventh place for no reason and I know it’s tight from seventeenth to seventh, but their goal difference shows that they’re tight at the back and hard to beat. Only the top four teams have a better goal difference. They’ve lost the same number of games as Man City, and they’ve had seven draws. I’m expecting a 0-0 on Thursday and I’ll be happy with that.

• Unused Substitute

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:44 PM

Seems to me that SU are nothing but AVFC on steroid. They both come down the middle and rely on long balls. For SU even gets their central defenders push forward. It is therefore not rocket science to see if our middle falls apart, we’re undone. That’s what happened against AVFC with our midfield doing defence. The MFs should have been asked instead to disrupt AVFC’s movement every step of the way.

If we went wide (deploying Almiron and Saint Maximin at their natural positions) and direct (Shelvey, Lejeune and Schär all could do that), we should be in business against SU. It may in fact work better against SU since with the speed we have on the tap their backline could be found out of position. But things tend not to happen the way they should at NUFC and it will be excellent if we came back with anything.

• Munster Mag

Dec 3, 2019 at 8:13 PM

Rob, touched a nerve? I think u jumped on it. Tsunki is clearly an arrogant hectoring sod who is irked because the attendances are not down in the 30s and we are not tailed off yet, managed by a man he visibly mocks every day with his stupid Sunderland avatar. What a pious preening lecturing buffoon.