web analytics

Bruce Pleased To Be Wrong About FA Cup Draw

On Monday, Newcastle drew either Rochdale or Boston United for the FA Cup third round. The two clubs will meet next Tuesday at Boston for the right to host Newcastle in the first week of January.

It was a very good draw for Newcastle, who had a difficult draw in the Carabao Cup against Leicester City. Though no matter who we get, whether it’s League One’s Rochdale or the National League North’s Boston, the lads must make sure they avoid a massive upset.

We all remember the Stevenage debacle in 2011, where Newcastle lost 3-1 in the third round.

During his press conference, Steve Bruce was asked about his thoughts on the FA Cup draw. He, like us, expected the worst. This is what Steve had to say:

“Well, I was totally wrong. I said to Lee (Charnley). Mark my words we’ll get Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, or Arsenal away.

“That hasn’t happened. We’ve got the complete opposite.

“So we’ll respect whoever the opposition is when it comes around. Hopefully, we can progress into the next round.”

When Bruce was first appointed, he spoke about having a run at the cups this season. He has recent experience in taking Hull to the FA Cup final in 2014, where they ultimately lost 3-2 to Arsenal but put in a good showing.

Steve was also asked if the competition was still exciting for him. This was his response:

“It’s one of the great competitions. As I said when I walked through the door here, it would be great if we could have a little run in it.

“I remember in 2014 when Hull got into the Cup final. If you ask all of their supporters what is there best memory of the past few years.

“Is it Premier League survival or staying in the Premier League, I think 95% would say it was going to Wembley and playing in the FA Cup final.

“It would be great. That’s got to be the aim. You can win five games. We’re capable of winning five games or six games, whatever it is.

“So let’s hope it’s our year.”

We think it would be fantastic for Newcastle to have a run at the FA Cup this year. We haven’t progressed past the fourth round since Mike Ashley has been at the club.

It’s been over 20 years already since the 1999 FA Cup final against Manchester United.

Hopefully, we can get a bit of luck in the draws and Bruce is able to field strong sides. But first things first, the lads must take the third-round match-up seriously and get a win at either Rochdale or Boston.

What Will Be The Result Of The Match At Sheffield United?

• Draw (37%, 459 )
  • Win (36%, 443 )
  • Loss (27%, 336 )

Total Voters: 1,238

Loading ... Loading ...

• Scythe For Bruce

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:37 PM

I’ll ignore Rob’s blatant and immature homophobia and say I really do hope we respect the FA Cup this year and make a real go of it. If we get lucky draws we can get far this year I hope.

• IrishRob

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:53 PM

Guys Steve is home safe minus two testicles!!

• Ron Knee

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:55 PM

“That hasn’t happened. We’ve got the complete opposite.

“So we’ll respect whoever the opposition is when it comes around.”

Doesn’t quite sound like “respect” for this opposition.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:10 PM

Rob

Theres something wrong with you!

• Mister Tuff

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:14 PM

What a filthy disgusting swine.

Why folk would want to interact with such a foul lout is beyond me.

• IrishRob

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:35 PM

You’re such a dope Tuff. You comment on my wording for comedic effect. Which is neither filthy or disgusting you complete prude!

Next time focus on the thing that matters those two trying to deliberately misconstrue what I said to mislead others into thinking what I said was homophobic.

Ye are all the same, but too stupid to realise it. Dont talk to me again Tuff I’ve nothing to say to you.

Hint hint if you’re going to pick something to try make a mountain out of a molehill about make sure it has some veracity.

• toon22

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:03 PM

IrishRob

The blogs new found genius ?

Wish i could google things as well as you

😉

• toon22

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:05 PM

Hiya Rob

Its never Jabbas fault

• Mindshaft

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:09 PM

IrishRob – Commiserations to Steve , my dog still tried to get it on with the lady’s afterwards but looked sad even trying – quietened down a bit though which as an Irish red setter is a good thing ..

Sorry for non footy talk

• Pain in the Blog

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:11 PM

Irish setters are just mad. Irish posters too.

• Mindshaft

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:17 PM

Aye , it was a red setter or cockapoodle handbag dog and I ain’t walking one of those

• jane

Dec 4, 2019 at 8:02 PM

we could be much closer to the relegation zone at the end of the evening.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Dec 4, 2019 at 8:19 PM

Other teams are starting to gain a bit of momentum Brucey has to set us up properly tomorrow we need the points

• Moonraker15

Dec 4, 2019 at 8:26 PM

Jane
    Surely we can only drop one position and that’s if Villa get anything at Chelsea!

• jane

Dec 4, 2019 at 8:34 PM

i was thinking about the points gap.

• Ron Knee

Dec 4, 2019 at 8:36 PM

BBC:

21:29

Liverpool 1-0 Everton

The Merseyside Ameobi.

Richard Jolly@RichJolly
    Divock Origi has more Merseyside derby goals than Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino have between them (4-3).

• Mindshaft

Dec 4, 2019 at 9:05 PM

Currently 2 points from relegation spot – could really do with 3 points tomorrow

• RobLeenio

Dec 4, 2019 at 9:19 PM

Mindshaft if we did win tomorrow we’d be five points off relegation and also five points off fifth.

Mental League this season…

• Mindshaft

Dec 4, 2019 at 9:41 PM

Robleenio – you’re not wrong – not much between teams from 5th downwards – I’d imagine the next couple if weeks will.start creating gaps between top half and bottom half as squad use , Injuries and fatigue take their toll – hopefully we’ll be in top half rather tha struggling at the bottom

• jane

Dec 4, 2019 at 9:49 PM

even though the gap was cut to 2 points 4 of the 5 teams below us that played tonight lost (assuming Everton lose).

• RobLeenio

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:17 PM

Jane, while that sounds great, it means nowt unless we win I suppose.

I actually think it’ll be a bore draw tomorrow. Two teams that rely on space being created by the opposition pushing onto them, rather than crafting it for themselves. I think we’ll cancel each other out.

A draw would be a decent result, by the way, in my eyes.