web analytics

Rafa Benitez Trio Wins Poll As Best Of The Bunch

Our poll for the best three center-backs at Newcastle has yielded some interesting results. The winners of the poll are three players all brought to the club by Rafa Benitez. All the players cost a combined £17m.

Topping the list is the Swiss superstar Fabian Schar which is no surprise. Fabian won our first two Player of the Month polls for August and September. Since he came into the team in November of last season, he has been a revelation for Newcastle.

The 27-year-old is also one of the biggest bargains in Premier League history. Schar joined Newcastle for just £3m from Deportivo La Coruna in 2018.

Second on the list is a man we’ve seen far too little of over the past year and a half. Frenchman Florian Lejeune has been out all season with his second knee injury. He also only played 12 matches last season as he worked his way back from his first knee injury.

However, when Florian’s played, he’s shown his class and that is why he’s rated so highly by the Newcastle faithful. We hope to see the 28-year-old back on the pitch very soon. He could even make his return this month with Steve Bruce looking to rotate his squad with the heavy holiday fixture schedule.

Third on the list is the biggest surprise. Federico Fernandez has beaten out captain Jamaal Lascelles to round out our top three center-backs. The 30-year-old Argentine has never let Newcastle down.

He’s shown his value over the past month since he came into the team for the injured Fabian Schar. It speaks volumes for Fernandez that he’s kept Schar on the bench over the past two matches.

It’s interesting that this trio was all signed by Rafa Benitez. They’ve also never been together as a Newcastle back three in any match. Maybe Steve Bruce can correct that and get these three together on the pitch.

Who Are Newcastle's Best Three Center-Backs

• Schar (32%, 927 )
  • Lejeune (28%, 800 )
  • Fernandez (21%, 611 )
  • Lascelles (14%, 391 )
  • Clark (4%, 117 )
  • Dummett (2%, 48 )

Total Voters: 984

Loading ... Loading ...

What Will Be The Result Of The Match At Sheffield United?

• Draw (37%, 459 )
  • Win (36%, 443 )
  • Loss (27%, 336 )

Total Voters: 1,238

Loading ... Loading ...

• Bills Son Is Back

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:33 AM

OP,

On facilities…

If you were wanting to sell your house and it didn’t need a new kitchen or bathroom would you spend money putting them in? No, because you wouldn’t add that in value.

My opinion is that MA won’t spend money on facilities because, contrary to widespread opinion on here, he does want to sell.

Yes players want the best facilities, but we pay decent wages and they play in front of 45,000+ crowds and as most of the younger ones are on long contracts the club is in control of their future.

From a business point of view it isn’t a bad strategy.

• RobLeenio

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:34 AM

I like that Amazon have made the matches from last night available to stream on demand (if you have a Prime subscription). I’ll be watching the Citeh match later. Anyone know how long they’ll be available for?

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:35 AM

Bills

Wages could also put other clubs off, most of the teams our players are linked with are championship clubs.

Not many are linked with Prem teams and when they are its usually lazy journalists.

I’d say we were lucky to get 30m for Perez but if you hold that against the Joelinton fee, we was robbed both ways.

• Mindshaft

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:37 AM

IrishRob – he was valued at 20 million pre transfer to us then suddenly we pay ’40’ million , I know transfermarkt website isn’t great but it’s a lot closer to his worth which playing as an out and out striker is probably closer 10 million.

We sold Carroll for pure profit , everyone else wanted to go although we made a tidy profit on them.

• Bills Son Is Back

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:38 AM

IrishRob,

If Bruce has had nothing to do with improving our atrocious record of conceding the most goals from corners and set pieces last season, and it’s all down to Jo helping out the defence….

How come Rafa never got Rondon one of the best headers in the Prem to do the same thing??

This is just another example of giving Bruce credit for nowt that goes right but blaming him for everything that goes wrong.

Pathetic really.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:38 AM

Bill’s

If you’re selling your house and it needs modernising you shouldn’t expect to get the same price you would if it didnt need work.

That’s how the housing market works, take a look, you can pick up a bargain and if you’ve got the skills make a killing.

Is £350m with the work the club needs a fair market price?

• Bills Son Is Back

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:40 AM

OP,

I think we both make decent points.

Makes a change to have a proper debate 🙂

• Mindshaft

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:40 AM

Bills, I have a few properties and done a bit of renovating to sell, I would most certainly put a new bathroom / kitchen in – it’s how I and other property developers make money ..if I buy a dump and sell a dump I’ll make no profit at all …jeez , surely you already know that

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:42 AM

Bills

Ashley doesn’t look a very willing seller to many.

If I was buying a house off Ashley i wouldn’t be happy if he wanted to use the garden in the summer or my shed to store his lawn mower. I doubt I’d be happy about him leaving his car in the garage or letting his dog shit on the front lawn.

Yet it seems that’s the way Ashley would like it and feels his right.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:43 AM

Bills

Yes it is.

• Mindshaft

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:43 AM

Whole idea is to modernise and being the property up to date … Same with infrastructure at the club – if you’re looking around at our current infrastructure you can see it needs a lot of work so would expect that cost off the asking price

• Bills Son Is Back

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:43 AM

OP,

My point on the facilities is they do the job, they could be better of course.

I doubt spending a few million on the facilities would add that to the asking price although it may possibly be a negotiating tactic to lower it.

The big thing a buyer gets with NUFC is Prem status, 50,000 crowds and a one team city.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:48 AM

I agree, we only sell our better players for silly money or if a player really wants the move or if we we’ve gone down and so need to cut our cloth.

Obviously though, if we were better run fewer players would want to move on, or need to be moved on.

Milner is going back a bit and so is something of an aberration, and let’s be honest, a remarkable error of judgement. We sold him to Villa ffs.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:50 AM

Bills

If you invested a million in the facilities and academy in a sensible strategic way, who could really say what value that would add?

Sure as shit is brown, no investigation adds no value.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:51 AM

Investment

Although a investigation would be nice, whetes the money gone?

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:58 AM

Rob

Sorry just saw your response.

I think Lascelles only plays because of his organisation skills, I’d play clark before him.

The work rate and how the players play for each other clouds peoples judgement of our players.

If our defense is so good, why does the midfield sit so deep?

Why does every other player have to defend and help out the defence for 90mins to get a result if our CBs are so good?

• RobLeenio

Dec 4, 2019 at 11:06 AM

OP, it’s not all about the facilities, though granted they are a nice to have.

JonJo has said he doesn’t want to move. Why? Because his family like it up here, they’ve settled into the area and feel they have good support.

The club (alright, Rafa) have helped JonJo get through some anger issues, shown patience where others may not have done and his teammates have probably helped with that too.

Satisfaction at work isn’t just about having all the mod cons, if your colleagues are ar$eholes then you’ll still want to leave even if your work at the best location in town, whereas if you like your colleagues and enjoy your work you might put up with a crappy view, an occasional eggy smell from the drains and faded carpets.

Not sure what you’re saying re the physios and doctors – as far as I was aware our medical staff were top banana.

• cyprus

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:17 PM

Has anyone been inside these facilities? Is the manager lying?

“Rutherford believes that the last five years have seen a ‘phenomenal’ improvement in facilities at the training ground and expects to be able to say the same in five years time.”

Not sure this is the problem. Really, I think it’s about higher salaries and, equally, shrewd scouting.

Irish, no probs to disagree mate. Still, I can’t honestly think of any cb set I’d switch with other teams. Hope that’s not delusional 🙂

I’d easily switch our MF with many and our CF too. Keeper too. I’d keep Almiron and ASM, but I’d exchange a host of others. Hope that balances the delusion 😉

• IrishRob

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:39 PM

Bill’s I just gave Bruce credit for improving that, so what are u on about. I said it might be more down to Joelinton bring good at anticipating crosses than Bruce implementing tactics. But I’m more than happy to give Bruce all the credit for that improvement if it bothers you that much.

• IrishRob

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:48 PM

Cyprus the delusion is we massively over rate most of our players, I’m guilty of it myself sometimes, but to say our defence could only use VVD is just wrong. They are all average at very best.