web analytics

Bruce – ‘Two Or Three Things In Place’ For The Summer

With the winter window fast approaching, it’s up in the air as to whether or not Newcastle will be doing any business in January.

Whenever he is pressed on the issue, Bruce always gives a cursory response about how he hasn’t seen everyone in his squad yet, but if the right player is available, then the club will look into adding someone.

While we suspect he is just dampening expectations, it would not come as a total surprise if Newcastle keep with the current squad for the remainder of this season. Though a lot will depend on where we are after the six December fixtures are played.

However, while Steve Bruce has kept his cards close to his vest about next month, he has revealed some plans for next summer.

The Chronicle have published comments from Bruce about the off season. It appears as though Newcastle will take a long look at bringing in some free agents next summer.

This is what the head coach has said:

“Yeah, there’s plans of course. There’s a lot of water under the bridge until then but we have two or three things in place.

“I’m sure all of us are not naive enough to not address the Bosman situation. It’s always a good one for any club. We are in the process of that like everybody else does, I suppose.

“That’s no secret. We’re working away to see who is out of contract and who might be available.”

That is some positive news that Newcastle may have some irons in the fire already for the summer transfer window. Getting in free agents could prove to be great business.

There are some quality players whose contracts run out in 2020. First of which is Hull City’s Jarrod Bowen, though with his club having an option to extend him to 2021, he is unlikely to be gotten on a Bosman in the summer.

However, there are other intriguing players that we hope Newcastle are looking at. Here are a few of those players.

Malang Sarr

• Sarr is a top center-back prospect who has had a bit of a rough time of it under Patrick Vieira at Nice. At just 20 years of age, Sarr is one of France’s top young talents. It would be quite a coup if Newcastle could get the youngster as a free agent. Here are some recent tweets about Sarr from Get French Football News about his situation at his hometown club of Nice.

Gaston Pereiro

• We did a report on Gaston Pereiro last month. The 24-year-old attacking midfielder is an Uruguayan international who will leave PSV this summer on a free.

Jordon Ibe

• Newcastle were linked with a move for the former Liverpool winger in the summer. His time at Bournemouth looks to be coming to an end. Ibe has only played 4 times for Bournemouth this season with just 47 minutes in the Premier League. The 23-year-old could be a decent acquisition on a free in the summer.

Boubakary Soumare

• Soumare is a 20-year-old midfielder who plays for Lille. Like Malang Sarr, getting Soumare to Tyneside would be quite a feat. He is likely to sign with one of Europe’s elite clubs however if the youngster is thirsty for first-team football, Newcastle could be a good option for him.

Marcos Paulo

• Paulo is an 18-year-old striker playing in Brazil for Fluminense. He’s made 28 appearances in their first-team with 6 goals and 4 assists. The youngster has been capped for Portugal’s under-19s four times.

If Newcastle could bring in one of these players on a free that would be tremendous. They are all young and could certainly help the squad for next season.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:41 AM

I believe Irishrobs comments related to having his cat neutered initially, hardly football related but then again not that offensive.

I think his offensive comment was a response to a minor ganging up on him, a bit childish perhaps but more yellow card possibly?

Not taking sides here but compared to some of the comments not the worst by any means.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:44 AM

Results last night were pretty good position wise, we just need a good result today to put a wee bit of distance between us and the bottom spots.

Don’t see why we can’t get one either.

• NY Mag

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:46 AM

Bill,

I might be being pessimistic, but I’d take a draw now.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:47 AM

How many hours to KO Jib?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:48 AM

NY Mag

Naaah, I think the SU train is going to to hit the buffers in the shape of us!

• NY Mag

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:49 AM

Hope so mate 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:59 AM

Just been looking at the training pics for the lads and I know we haven’t got the best state of the art facilities but they really don’t look that bad. Probably not the wisest thing to say on the blog under the present regime.

I was also impressed to see Joelinton following the example of some of the other players and improving his levitation techniques, a goal or two later today perhaps?

• NY Mag

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:11 AM

Bill,

I know that’s a pretty raw topic on the blog, I’ve never been to the training ground so I can’t really comment on the how good / bad the facilities are.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:44 AM

NY Mag

If you are able to have a look at the training pics links that Jib often puts up. I know that other clubs do have far superior training facilities but what the club does have looks to be reasonable.

I believe it was me that first highlighted the wheelie bin ice baths from some of those training pics, which is quite shocking for one of the richest clubs in the world, never mind the country.

But all of the main basics seem to be in place although a massive updating is necessary, the supposedly lesser clubs can do it so we should be able too.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:48 AM

Anyway a sleep and some daytime to KO, so I’ll say G’dNight to you NY Mag and the other night owls.

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:12 AM

I hate it when you miss the offending comment as I did with Jib last month. Really want to know what both said. Personally I’d give short 1 day bans for repetitively calling people shills without even attempting to show any evidence. While taken individually it’s not that offensive, the sheer volume of this insane type of post stinks and bores the blog out and newcomers will think it’s a lunatics asylum – and clearly some of the people labelled shills have took offense as they don’t post here anymore.

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:14 AM

Just missed the night shift again.

🙁

• NY Mag

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:16 AM

Tnmw,

Not sure you missed anything mate….there’s a lot of faux outrage on this blog 🙂

• NY Mag

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:31 AM

Bill,

I have followed a lot of jibs training pic links (not all) – most of what I’ve seen is players out on a footy pitch (unless the criticism is the grass is too long, I’ve not seen anything untoward – OK, that’s pretty lame)

I’ve not seen any extensive pictures from inside the training complex……I know what the common blog perception is,I cannot agree nor disagree with it.

You mentioned the wheelie bins and I know that gets brought up quite often, for me that is nothing more than ‘boys will be boys’ messing around (I know these guys are millionaires, but sometimes we forget that they are nothing more than kids)

Anyway, goodnight – nice chatting to you as always…..

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:33 AM

Dubai,
    It was very interesting what you said yesterday about Ashley demanding a non refundable 10-15m or so upfront to go through the books. I’m sure you know a lot more than most about what went on, so if this is true (and it does sound like Ashley’s style) it would appear to be what Ashley was referring to when he said what’s an extra ten million to a Shiek. Most people assumed he moved the price up at the last minute, but this seems a more logical explanation. My guess is Ashley had heard whispers the Shiek didn’t have any ready cash same as Kenyon & Stavely. Although why he’s made it non refundable and without signatures etc is a bit weird although fitting with Ashley’s professional style of bar room deals over ten pints of Stella, a Kebab, and a spit handshake.

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:41 AM

But even if the Shiek didn’t actually look at the books as far as I’m aware Stavely, Kenyon & the Inland Revenue have all looked so my point remains the same. Basically my point is WHY? Why would he do these things? Why would he get relegated just so he can lumber us with debt so he can keep us forever? Is he too stupid for a normal person to understand? I doubt that. He must have realised by now that each relegation is going to cost us approx. £50m and that there will be more to come, and that it’s very unlikely he will be to repay those loans using the profits, and that one more relegation will mean he’ll have to raise the selling price again, and mean it will be impossible to sell what he must see as an albatross around his neck. His only way to get that money back would be to transform the club into one worth £350m and he can only do that by being succesful. And that will never happen with Charnley & Bruce at the helm. We either need good scouting (Leicester model) or good academy (Spurs Chelsea Everton model), and a good up-to-date attacking manager with a clear style moving towards clear goals.

• NY Mag

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:50 AM

TNMW,

I’m not questioning Mickeys crendetials, and I have no doubt he has some insight on what goes on out in the gulf.
    But, why, if what was said is true did BZG not give out this information to the media? I mean, Midhat was pretty good at giving snippets out to the press, so if they were so upset at Ashley’s behavior, why didn’t they mention it?

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:35 AM

NY,
    Maybe because maybe he’s called their bluff, and he’ll say they had no available cash or he knows something about them which will damage their reputation. I think the Liverpool chairmen said they weren’t serious bidders or something along those lines. I don’t know what their game is. But I think this sounds reasonable. More likely than just suddenly raising the price. If you do that, you damage your own reputation as the seriously rich will all know what goes on.

My personal guess, was that they thought if they put it in the open, fan rebellion would cause Ashley to drop his asking price massively and they could get a bargain – and at that stage they may have had some people ready to step in. It’s just a wild guess. I think Stavely & Kenyon were thinking the same. But Ashley’s obstinate. If anything he’d raise the price if you pull something like that.

• lesh

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:50 AM

TNMW

We’ll never know what’s gone on behind the scenes when selling selling the club but one thing is for sure, Ashley’s good a presenting an image of him being the innocent abroad, the honest but maligned victim of smear campaigns.

It’s easy to draw a parallel between Ashley and another person who’d recently been in the UK, another purveyor of lies who rejects negative comments as conspiratorial or news as fake.

As the frog often says, it’s never Ashley’s fault.

• lesh

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:53 AM

NYMag

If you’re suggesting that the photos of the wheelie bins and kids paddling pool are pranks, then one’s expect the club to have denied the use of such facilities.

As far as the training facilities are concerned, have we seen very much more than the outside of the buildings which may look ok but…..

• lesh

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:56 AM

And as far as the club looking at a couple of freebies in the summer, can we infer that Ashley’s prepared to gamble on avoiding relegation to justify not strengthening the squad this winter?

• lesh

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:56 AM

And on that note, have a good day or night whatever timeout is where you are.

• NY Mag

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:04 AM

TNMW / Lesh,

Obviously, I have no idea of the inner workings of any deals (or even if there were any deals)
    But what I don’t understand is…..the press (in general) are against Ashley, the government (in general) are against Ashley, his business rivals are obviously against him. So, why on earth would anyone who in good concious was trying to buy the club (and was being screwed as we are led to believe) would say absolutely nothing?

• NY Mag

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:12 AM

Lesh,

I’ve already said that I’ve absolutely no idea on the state of the facilities, my suggestion on the wheelie bins is just that (a suggestion)
    If you have first hand knowledge….then I will bow to that.

As I’m sure you know, there’s a lot of ‘faux outrage’ on this blog, and a lot it has no resemblance to reality.

• NY Mag

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:32 AM

Lesh,

Also, why would the club deny any ‘prank’ by the players….I mean surely it’s in the clubs best interest that the players are happy, if that means some ‘unorthodox’ training methods then so be it. 🙂

• cyprus

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:33 AM

Which NUFC will show up tonight?

On the lineup, start Andy, give him 75 minutes. Start Yedlin too. When we attack, do not stay pegged in our defensive positions, leaving all sorts of gaps. Push up as a unit.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:39 AM

We do need to try to play further up the pitch, and try to play the ball forward more often though Munster. That surely has to be the aim, obviously though you can’t leave yourself too open at the back, the right balance needs to struck.

And also you are unlikely to get away with playing the same 11 every match during a hectic December and New Year, so rotating in the likes of Muto, Atsu and Gayle for St Max and Almiron, and Carroll for Joelinton on occasion surely makes sense. Obviously they’d be required to play to instruction and the tactics would also need to be tweaked to a degree.

We’d miss the extra pace that Joel, St Max and Almiron give us certainly, but they really can’t be expected play every match and maintain the necessary intensity and stay injury free.

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:14 AM

if we are rotating, best split our speedsters so that ASM rests while Almiron plays. one speedsters probably enough to open spaces for others and to carry the ball forward. if they could get assists and goals id have no concerns. also if we rest both at once I couldnt even begin to imagine how boring wed be to watch. we are already on par with burnley who are the worst footballing team I can remember in terms of entertainment.

• Mindshaft

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:22 AM

The training club does not have water facilities i.e no swimming pool.and no plunge pools – these weren’t so much in vogue when the ground was built but as medical science worked out these aided recovery most EPL clubs had them installed.
    We’re well behind the majority of EPL training facilities these days and Charnley / Ashley did get plans drawn up to update / rebuild ours …sadly they didn’t follow through on the plans

• Nicky the ball tosser

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:24 AM

Yeah, we likely wouldn’t be as interesting if we played a forward line of Gayle and Muto instead of Almiron and St Max, but we’d give the ball away less and we’d get more shots on target I’d wager, and neither is slow.

I do think starting Carroll would add interest though, if we can swing the crosses in for him to attack. For sure Carroll would get himself into better attacking positions than the still learning Joel manages.

As I said though, this only if you are looking at playing and maintaining fresh legs. I’d prefer we stuck with St Max and Almiron as much as possible, and not split them up, but they can’t play every game.

• Mindshaft

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:28 AM

And …
    Charnley acknowledged the need for change.

He said: ‘Does it mean at some point in time we would like to update the training ground? Absolutely, yes.

‘Our pitches are very good, our gym is perfectly adequate and functional. Do we have a swimming pool or water facilities? No. Would we like to have it at some stage? Absolutely.’

• Unused Substitute

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:10 AM

NY Mag @23: you may have reasons to buy into what appears to others as Ashley’s ploy of playing the victim card or that the training facility is in no particular need for improvement. Could you share your research to the extent possible so that the misguided elements like me can have a better picture?

On another count, I am a millionaire as well; but no better than in terms Zim$. Still, I like to visit a shop dealing in luxury items once in a blue moon. Hardly anyone turned me away from their shop despite my shabby appearance anywhere in the world. It turns out occasionally I have paid through my nose after getting tempted in a few of those shops that indulged with me. I wonder would anyone, even the moneyed type, would have dropped in paying a nonrefundable fee at the store front. If there is a bad experience with a business, I just stopped dealing with that business rather than complaining against the business in the social media or in the better business bureau. Because that would be a waste of time.

• Toon Tang

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:46 AM

We all know the drill people. We will go to sheff u, give them 90% possession making them look bayern barca, hope one of our defenders scores a goal and come away from the place still zero goals to the good for the forward line.

Have I missed anything off?

We should go and play like we did at west Ham first half and see how it goes. The sit in and counter only works against certain team’s as we’ve seen over the last couple of weeks.

• Mindshaft

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:13 AM

We”be kept one clean sheet away from home this season – I don’t fancy our chances of getting another tonight despite SU being low scorers they’ve scored 3 goals in both of their last two homes games

• Unused Substitute

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:31 AM

I actually fancy our chances tonight because of the speed we have on tap. Unfortunately, we have so far been unable to put that to proper use. There’s no harm hoping tonight we will do that. Realistically, though, I’ll happily take a draw because it could be worse. There, a perfect example of how indecisive I’m!

• DubaiMicky

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:35 AM

TnMW & NYMag, the words came direct from Midhat’s mouth. No reason to believe he was lying.

• hibbit

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:46 AM

DubaiMicky

whats Midhat’s been saying ?????????

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:52 AM

hard to predict tonights game. I think both teams are doing better than anyone expected and probably arent as good as their league positions suggest. the law of averages says our attacking players must score soon so we have some hope. the worry is out of 40 plus combined games we havent created many easy chances for them. youd expect even the worst player to have got a tap in or deflection by now. on paper our players should be far superior to sheff utd so im going to predict they will just beat us 2-1 maybe a draw.

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:55 AM

I assume it to be true Micky

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:12 AM

Faux outrage lol, theres more Faux posters on the blog.

Huge lack of Morality mind.