web analytics

Carroll, Clark, And Manquillo All Start At Sheffield United

This is the team that Steve Bruce has selected for tonight’s match at Sheffield United. It’s just one shocking change this evening with Andy Carroll making his first start of the season for Joelinton. Wow!

This is the team that Chris Wilder has picked for our opponents.

We are a little taken aback by the lone change since Andy Carroll was not even available this past weekend. However, Steve did hint at rotating his squad with the heavy schedule over the next two months.

Everyone else is the same from the draw against Manchester City. It’s a pretty strong bench with Sean Longstaff, Joelinton, Fabian Schar, and Christian Atsu. No room for Matty Longstaff this evening, however.

Let’s hope the lads show vast improvement from the last away match at Villa Park.

Howay The Lads!

• simon376

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:38 PM

Might work for him to come on when they are a bit worn out, just love to see him and Carol score tonight

• Ron Knee

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:38 PM

Chris Waugh@ChrisDHWaugh

The only change for #nufc vs Sheffield United is a surprising one – as Andy Carroll makes his first start since returning to the club. Joelinton drops to the bench. Changes the dynamic of the side, but seems Steve Bruce wants to combat physicality with physicality.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:42 PM

WOOHOO!

Somebody other than Joelinton. Howay big man, smash some defenders and get a goal.

• Nufc-83

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:47 PM

A change with Joelinton is needed but let’s see if Carroll is the answer. I would have put Schar in for Dummett as well. Very excited for this game now!

• Pottsclock

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:48 PM

Repost from earlier:
    If you’re in the UK and have Amazon Prime you can watch the match tonight live for free as they are streaming it. If you have Amazon movies on your telly or similar device (e.g. Now TV), you can watch it from there. Some sort of collaboration with BT Sport that I only discovered last night when I was looking for a good movie and ended up watching the Merseyside derby for free. You’ll also be able to watch a replay of the full match for 30 days or so.

They’re also planning to show our Boxing Day match at ManUre. I have Amazon Prime anyway – very useful at Christmas time – but you can also sign up to the 30day trial for free, as long as you remember to cancel. Thus you’d get tonight’s match and the ManUre match for free.
    I’m not trying to advertise Amazon. Just highlighting where you can watch our matches easily.

• AncientC

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:49 PM

The Geordie/Norse battering ram hath arriveth to wrack and ruin the enemy defences. This should be a lot of fun.

• RobLeenio

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:50 PM

AC will definitely give a more direct goal threat. The big question is whether he can last a full game. I guess we’re about to find out.

Gayle won’t get a game at all tonight, he’ll be thinking he has to move in January

• Jammydodger

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:53 PM

My number one team versus my number two team, happy days. Loving what Sheffield United are doing in the league, no big name players from spain no tikki takka messing around, just proper football with strong tackles and strong players mentally. Having said that, obviously I want a 10 – 0 win to the toon.
    Delighted to see Carroll start see what he can do for 60 mins and then give Joelinton 30 to give his all in and try to get him off the starting line.

Interesting to see Billy Sharpe start aswell however i think definitely dummett and clark will prefer a player of his style int he opposition attack

• Ron Knee

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:53 PM

You don’t think he’ll bring on Gayle, Rob?

• geordietom

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:54 PM

hesgoals is putting wor match on …

• lukes26

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:54 PM

Can’t see newcastle winning the midfield battle. Hope I’m wrong

• Jammydodger

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:54 PM

Asm, goal almiron assist
    Carroll goal, shelvey assist
    2-0 the toon

• JP...from The Rock

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:55 PM

No Gayle on the bench? I will be surprised if Carroll doesn’t break down before half time. Would be great if he scored and caused their defence problems though.

• AncientC

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:56 PM

Joelinton will be relying on Carroll having a good game to get any minutes. If playing the ball to Carroll doesn’t work—it will almost certainly be Gayle that gets game time.

• JP...from The Rock

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:56 PM

Clark goal, Carroll assist from a corner. Asm goal, Willems assist from open play. 2-2

• Scythe For Bruce

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:56 PM

Missing the game because I’m stuck in a US Immigration office. I should have been out of here an hour ago but their computers are down. Still, I passed my immigration test so I’ll have my dual citizenship before the end of December. I’ll have to make do with BBC text updates 🙂

• Jammydodger

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:01 PM

Also anyone not following Nigel Bond in the snooker is missing out

• RobLeenio

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:01 PM

Ron, I think he’ll bring on joelinton, to do otherwise would mess with the kid’s head too badly.

I might be wrong, of course, it wouldn’t be the first time

😉

• NY Mag

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:01 PM

Scythe,

I can’t think of a worse place to be stuck 🙁

• Ron Knee

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:02 PM

I can’t imagine what a T****p immigration test would be like!

• Paully

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:04 PM

About time Joelinton was dropped, he’s the worst Brazilian since Stevie Wonder shaved their lasses fanny that time.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:05 PM

Was very tempted by the amazon free trial but my good lady says it is a lot of hassle trying to extricate yourself at the end of it and that you will be forever bombarded with pop ups. Maybe she just doesn’t want me hogging the TV for a month!

Jib had a good link last match but is Irish Rob one of his alts and they’ve both been banned? Mind you no sign of jail for a while either and he most definitely isn’t a Jib alt.

• Ron Knee

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:06 PM

The combination Gayle-Atsu might work, Rob. Or not.

• Bigjim67

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:08 PM

I’ve signed up to the free trial so am looking forward to watching this!
    Hope big Andy can rough they’re back line up and cause them some problems, pleased to see him in anyway.
    Miggy had his assist so tonight he’s due a goal lol. Hwtl

• Ron Knee

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:08 PM

hesgoal.com should have the match.

• Scythe For Bruce

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:10 PM

NY Mag – it’s only slightly less irritating than being stuck at an airport gate. At least I have the text updates though. I’ve been over here for years and I only bothered to do this so I can vote next year. Should have done it more than a decade ago.

Ron Knee – the test was a breeze. One hundred possible questions, I can be asked ten and get six right. I got the first six correct easily so we stopped there. Then speaking, reading and writing English (which I passed obviously). Nowt to it!

• Rotonda heights

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:11 PM

jammy dodger

i think you do sheffield a disservice. they play great passing football that we could only dream about. Nowt wong with tiki taca, it works for barca and city pretty well.

• RobLeenio

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:12 PM

Sir Les and Jermaine Jenas providing the analysis at at James park for Amazon. Decent panel honestly.

• NY Mag

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:12 PM

Scythe,

Funny you should say that…..,guess where I am 😀

• Scythe For Bruce

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:12 PM

Very pleased to see Big Andy starting. Their defence is pretty solid, but so is Carroll, and he’s got a sweet shot on him. I’d be over the moon to see him score today. Nice stat from the BBC…

Andy Carroll is starting his first Premier League game for Newcastle in eight years and 342 days – the second longest run between starts for the club in the competition after the late, great Pavel Srnicek (nine years, 62 days).

• geordietom

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:12 PM

and for those in the states its on NBC Sports gold …

• Moonraker15

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:12 PM

Watching Sir Les pitch side on Amazon Prime, I’d forgotten that he’s not all that tall; same as Jermaine Jenas actually. That’s incredible when we remember how good he was in the air!

• Ron Knee

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:12 PM

Didn’t they carry out extensive background checks too, Scythe?

• Scythe For Bruce

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:13 PM

NY Mag – I’ll consider myself lucky then!

• Scythe For Bruce

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:15 PM

Ron – there was a bunch of paperwork before I came here today (as usual) and I’ve been here long enough with no issues on a permanent visa so it’s been a pretty much straightforward process getting my citizenship.

• Moonraker15

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:17 PM

Joelinton dropped at last. He needed the pressure taken off him anyway.

• Ron Knee

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:17 PM

Good for you, mate!

• ilovetoon8788

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:22 PM

They will school us today on what football is.

Sheffield United 2 Newcastle 0

• Jammydodger

Dec 5, 2019 at 7:24 PM

Rotunda I agree sheffield play great passing football and by no means was i meaning to do them a disservice I just wouldn’t call their game tikki takka as i feel its a lot more progressive than purely possession based.

Nothing wrong with lots of possession and slick passing but if its not progressive ending with an attempt on goal its pointless. Sheffield now have the ability to produce tiki takka but dont, they also have players which are both physically and mentally strong coinciding with technical ability hence they are doing so well