web analytics

Pundit Heaps Praise On Magpie Who Defenders ‘Hate To Play Against’

We don’t think Andy Carroll will get his second straight start tomorrow afternoon but we were pleased with the shift the big man put in.

While Carroll didn’t threaten Sheffield United, his overall performance was commendable and his commitment to Newcastle is unquestioned.

Carroll showed his dominance in the air as he consistently won the ball up the pitch. He even tried to get the ball to his teammates with some flick-ons. That worked wonders on the second goal when Jonjo Shelvey anticipated what Andy was going to try to do on the long ball from Paul Dummett.

It was a wonderful play, despite the ensuing controversy, and is an apt example of what Andy can bring to this team.

However, that’s just one aspect of the Geordie’s game that Newcastle can benefit from. He was outstanding defensively and was like an extra defender when Newcastle were under pressure.

At some point this season, we’re hopefully going to witness Andy’s aerial prowess in the box. There are not many strikers in this league that can head a ball like big Andy.

While he didn’t get that opportunity at Sheffield, the more time he gets on the pitch, the better the chance of a bullet header into the back of the net.

Former Leeds striker and current BBC commenter Noel Whelan has also heaped praise on the thirty-year-old after his performance on Thursday.

Speaking exclusively to Football Insider, this is what Whelan had to say about Andy:

“He’s a great weapon for the football club to have.”

“There are not many players like him these days in the Premier League, he is going to cause a completely different kind of problem for defenders and teams when it comes to set-pieces and balls from wide areas.

“If you can keep him fit, you’ve got a strong all-round center-forward on your hands which I’m pretty sure most center-halves these days would hate to play against.”

Whelan brings up a significant point about Carroll being a rare commodity in modern football. He’s an old-fashioned center-forward that there just aren’t too many of these days.

He’s a player who can wreak havoc in the box, and many defenders these days just aren’t used to battling someone like Andy Carroll.

What Will Be The Result Against Southampton On Sunday?

• Win (71%, 1,015 )
  • Draw (19%, 277 )
  • Loss (10%, 141 )

Total Voters: 1,433

Loading ... Loading ...

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Thanks The Wife, I appreciate that. I have tended to plough a lone furrow and some of my reality posts seem to be greeted with the same gratitude as a soap to get you out of sedation 🙂

Assassin’s, there you go, not a supporter etc. Quality retort.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:13 PM

Aww man! A SLAP to get you out of sedation! I swear autocorrect does this when you hit submit 🙂

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:18 PM

So where are the FACTS! I wouldn’t support us if we dropped a few leagues? If we were in L1 with the mackems it would almost certainly see Mike Ashley gone. And I would enjoy a win against Gillingham. And certainly s*nderland. At least the mackems have this – they’ve got ambition to get back up to the Premiership. They want to win things. Spennymoor want to win things, Gateshead want to win things. Ashley doesn’t. He wants us to be content we are in the top tier. That’s us winning that is. That’s it.

Munster how long do you think we’ve been a middle-for-diddle club? Are you aware of the 1990’s?

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:21 PM

Shame about two things with AC. His frame did not suit his athleticism hence the injuries. And the best years are behind him. Looking past the loan as being a token Geordie placatory move, he is still useful as the battering ram that takes a lot of pressure off defence and makes life a misery for midfielders. He’s worth the loan wages I think.

• The Wife

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:24 PM

Munster (from previous), college is EXACTLY why I “get” Tsunki. The college teams around where I live have the following mentality: WIN. Win every game. Win every tournament. And win them every single year. Anything less than WIN is unacceptable – to the coaches, the players and their fans. It creates the most amazing atmosphere at games and the rivalries are unparalleled.

I haven’t been supporting Newcastle as long as most of the rest of you, but I feel like the rabid, unadulterated WIN mentality is what Tsunki misses, and wants back for his club.

• Unused Substitute

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:26 PM

Bleatin’ @everywhere: you are performing like Dubravka. Only that Dubravka was at it for only 96 minutes.

• Ron Knee

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:42 PM

It’s hard to tell how much Ashley is motivated by spite and envy as opposed to calculation.

• cyprus

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:45 PM

The Wife,
    It’s been a while since NUFC have had a rabid win mentality 🙂 In fact, I barely remember those days.

Supporting NUFC is bigger than that, I think. It’s not like a franchise team, which could even move to another city. You take the ups with the downs, you live and breathe this club, win or lose. You support NUFC through thick and thin. That’s why wins feel so good 😉

• jane

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:45 PM

The Wife you’ve made Bleatin’ n Bruced / Tsunki’s day! you say it so much better!

• Scythe For Bruce

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:46 PM

Big result for The Toffees there. Makes you wonder, does the blame for their previous bad form lie with Silva for not being able to motivate his team the way Big Dunc has today, or the players for not performing for Marco Silva like they did today?

I’ve always liked Dunc. Carroll is very much in his mold. Big unit who’s able to bounce off defenders and make their lives a misery. Not sure how he’d do in the modern game with it being a reduced contact sport now, but his passion is still there.

I see Nico Kovac was at the game today. I wonder if Ferguson has maybe persuaded the Everton owner that he’s the man for the job with that result today? Or was it just a short term new manager ‘bounce’ effect and Everton will still want a more accomplished manager at the helm?

• Scythe For Bruce

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:58 PM

cyprus – having lived in the States for so long now, I’ve seen they have a totally different mentality to sport than we do. It’s absolutely all about winning. In England we don’t mind losing as much as long as we played well and tried to win. Over here that’s not a thing. Second place is the equivalent of last place. Winning is all that matters. In some ways that explains why they win so much in their various sports, but being English I totally understand some of what’s being said on here.

Is it realistic to expect us to be challenging Liverpool, Man City or Leicester at the top of the table? Of course not. It’s just not going to happen with Ashley in charge and we’re not in the same position we were as a club when Keegan and Sir Bobby we’re here. We still want to win, to play beautiful flowing football, to have a striker who bags twenty or thirty goals a season, but we’re realistic. It’s not happening unless we get taken over by someone with money to chuck about for fun.

My point is, people over here don’t get our mentality when it comes to sport. My missus still thinks it’s weird when I’m pessimistic talking about The Toon and that maybe being a little more positive might help, but I’ve supported them for too long to do otherwise, especially these days. We’re two different nations with totally different outlooks when it comes to sport. That’s just how it is!

• Oldgit1

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:09 PM

The Wife endorsing B &B, give over, this guy is only happy when we are losing so he can continue his rants. Did you read his postings after our win on Thursday. Me thinks you have nailed your flag to the wrong mast.

So by all accounts all the posters that disagree with him are wrong uns. Impartial, this site is not.

• cyprus

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:12 PM

Scythe,
    Totally agree, that’s why I get The Wife’s point too, totally. I studied and lived in the States for many years myself. My son is a US citizen so I go there often.