web analytics

Will Contract Discussion End Newcastle’s Interest In Midfielder?

Newcastle were linked with an interest in Strasbourg midfielder Ibrahima Sissoko in October. The Sun had an exclusive that a £13m deal was in the works and that the 22-year-old was keen to join Newcastle.

However, local journalists soon followed up to douse some cold water on those claims. They countered that Newcastle may have made initial contact with the player’s representatives, but no formal approach had been made.

There’s not been much more definitive information on Newcastle’s interest in the French under-21 international. Journalist Alan Nixon tweeted the following but that’s been about it.

However, it has been speculated that a box to box type of midfielder is high on Bruce’s wishlist. The most recent link was with Arsenal’s Granit Xhaka but that was always an improbable proposition.

If Newcastle have a genuine interest in Ibrahima Sissoko, there may be a problem brewing as he’s reportedly about to enter negotiations on an extension with Strasbourg.

France Football have a report that the French club have approached Sissoko’s representatives to start discussions on extending the midfielder’s contract. His current deal runs until 2022.

The article says that nothing formal has been arranged just yet. However, it also reports that Sissoko welcomes an extension with Strasbourg despite the interest from Premier League clubs like Newcastle.

With Sissoko’s current valuation being in the £10-15m range, any new deal is likely to increase his value. If the 22-year-old does end up extending his contract, it could hamper the chances of Newcastle bringing in the player next month.

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:25 PM

Repost:

cyprus – having lived in the States for so long now, I’ve seen they have a totally different mentality to sport than we do. It’s absolutely all about winning. In England we don’t mind losing as much as long as we played well and tried to win. Over here that’s not a thing. Second place is the equivalent of last place. Winning is all that matters. In some ways that explains why they win so much in their various sports, but being English I totally understand some of what’s being said on here.

Is it realistic to expect us to be challenging Liverpool, Man City or Leicester at the top of the table? Of course not. It’s just not going to happen with Ashley in charge and we’re not in the same position we were as a club when Keegan and Sir Bobby we’re here. We still want to win, to play beautiful flowing football, to have a striker who bags twenty or thirty goals a season, but we’re realistic. It’s not happening unless we get taken over by someone with money to chuck about for fun.

My point is, people over here don’t get our mentality when it comes to sport. My missus still thinks it’s weird when I’m pessimistic talking about The Toon and that maybe being a little more positive might help, but I’ve supported them for too long to do otherwise, especially these days. We’re two different nations with totally different outlooks when it comes to sport. That’s just how it is!

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:27 PM

Spurs looking dangerous here against Burnley. This could get very ugly if Tottenham keep this pressure on for ninety minutes.

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:32 PM

im rarely negative but under bruce im on the same side of the fence as tsunki and was saying more or less the same last night. but I have to.point out that if its about winning we did WIN. I think our complaint is the awful style.

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:33 PM

burnley will be in the mix at the end. palace too.

• The Wife

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:39 PM

oldgit1 – (from previous)

I never said BnB/Tsunki was right and all the rest of you were wrong. I’m just saying I understand his point of view.

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:40 PM

Mike – you could be right about Burnley, not sure I agree regarding Palace though. They have some canny players and if they keep hold of Zaha in the next transfer window then I think they’ll be fine. There’s easily three worse teams than them in this league.

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:41 PM

they win their various sports because nobody else plays those games or because their population quadruples their nearest competitors.

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:42 PM

im assuming zaha will leave. otherwise theyre ok. everton are ok now.

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:46 PM

it is realistic to play better football. there are 18 teams playing better football many with worse players than we have. there are better teams in championship too.

• Ron Knee

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:53 PM

Was that Son goal as good as commentators say it was?

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:59 PM

Ron – it was pretty good. He just ran straight through without anyone really challenging him. Lineker saying it’s goal of the season. Not sure about that. If he’d done it against Liverpool or Man City then fair enough, but Burnley have been really poor today. Still, it was great to watch seeing him run from so deep and keep going all the way through to the goal.

• Ozzy

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:01 PM

>> It has been speculated that a box to box type of midfielder is high on Bruce’s wishlist.
    We already have one, his name is Sean Longstaff.

• Ron Knee

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:01 PM

I’ll watch out for it, Scythe!

• Jib

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:05 PM

I t was I ripper Ron

pure Almiron plus great finishing

• Jib

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:06 PM

It was a ripper even

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:06 PM

Ron – I only saw it live and haven’t seen the replay but it didn’t seem like anyone bust a gut to stop Son dancing through. It was probably two thirds skill from him and one third apathy from the Burnley team as a whole. I wonder if Dyche has taken them as far as he can now?

• Jib

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:08 PM

Keita’s for Lpool vs Bmouth from a Salah backheel was canny too

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:08 PM

Jib – I’ll catch the replay on NBC after the Liverpool game and possibly reassess. I’ve got Liverpool on the big telly and the Spurs game streaming on my laptop here, so I wasn’t fully focused on it.

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:10 PM

Yes, lovely from Salah. Keita scooping it in was what Liverpool needed to settle a bit I think. They’d have been wobbly without that second goal going into the break.

• Jib

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:11 PM

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:12 PM

And there’s Keita returning the favour for Salah…

• Jib

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:13 PM

Keita returns the favour

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:13 PM

I have NBC Sports on the telly. I get it free with my cable package, but I’m streaming Spurs because I won’t shell out extra for NBC Sports Gold.

• Jib

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:14 PM

ha ha ha snap!!!!!!

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:14 PM

And Kane with Spurs’ fourth…

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:15 PM

Dear God, now I’m going to be accused of being a Jib-alt. I knew this day would come sooner or later…

• Ron Knee

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:16 PM

Son goal. Poor quality video.

• Jib

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:19 PM

Scythe For Bruce

Wear it as a badge of honour

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:21 PM

I could provide proof from a previous clash we’ve had that’ll prove we’re definitely not one and the same! So I think I’m safe 😀

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:23 PM

Bournemouth picking up a couple of injuries today already. This is the time of year that managers dread. Just trying to make it through using the entire squad available and still keeping your head above water to January.

• Nufc-83

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:25 PM

Shame it true this guy looks like an unbelievable talent.

Bowen has another 2 goals so far today also!

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:31 PM

Both Liverpool and Bournemouth will be looking at our squad with envious eyes after Lovren and Ake’s injuries today. Both teams are looking threadbare at CB and we have a relative abundance in that position. At least we can be positive about that!

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:33 PM

Nufc-83 – I’d flog Gayle to a Championship club and wouldn’t think twice about replacing him with Bowen. He’s a real talent. Don’t think we’ll get him though. He may have too much ambition and I don’t think the Hull owner has nice things to say about Bruce after their history, so it’s unlikely.

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:34 PM

You know you’re having a bad day when Sissoko scores against you…

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:35 PM

Looks like I’m not missing much in the Watford/Palace game 🙂

• Jib

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:41 PM

Has a Dyche team ever conceded 5 goals in the PL ?

• Nufc-83

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:42 PM

Scythe if Bowen doesn’t sign a new contract Hull won’t have a choice unless there is multiple clubs in for him. I am sure that will be the case though I guess 🙁

On Gayle yes he’s worth 12-15m to a championship club every day of the week it should almost pay for Bowen. If you were Hull you would be asking for a swap deal.

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:48 PM

I think a few clubs will be in for Bowen and Bruce’s history with their owner will go against us I think. It’s not like Ashley is going to outbid rival clubs for his signature either. I think the lad is similar to Vardy with his eye for goal. I’d convert him to a striker and see how he does.

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:51 PM

Good save from Ramsdale from Henderson’s free kick there. Could have been four with the last kick of the game.

• Sports Direct FC

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:15 PM

The Wife

Most of know you didn’t say that but then again we can actually read and comprehend things. Unfortunately to some on here the truth isn’t important. If you are go against/disagree with that particular group you are a bottom dweller, Taliban and now les miserables.