web analytics

Local Journalists Give Bad News On Injury To Star Man

Local journalists Chris Waugh with the Athletic and Lee Ryder of the Chronicle, have given the following update from Allan Saint-Maximin on his injured hamstring.

This could be devastating news to lose Allan for any extended amount of time. He’s transformed this team since making his full return against Manchester United.

The 22-year-old tweaked his hamstring in August that forced him to miss the Norwich City match. He returned for Tottenham a week later but only managed 15 minutes before his hamstring went.

He wasn’t able to start a match again until almost 6 weeks later. We really hope that he is not out for too long with his latest injury. We’ll likely see Christian Atsu back in the team over the next few weeks. Let’s hope it’s no longer than that.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match Against Southampton?

• Martin Dubravka (37%, 1,091 )
  • Andy Carroll (25%, 731 )
  • Jonjo Shelvey (16%, 470 )
  • Fede Fernandez (8%, 228 )
  • A. Saint-Maximin (6%, 173 )
  • Miguel Almiron (3%, 86 )
  • Javier Manquillo (2%, 60 )
  • Isaac Hayden (1%, 36 )
  • Sean Longstaff (1%, 22 )
  • Joelinton (1%, 20 )
  • Jetro Willems (0%, 11 )
  • Paul Dummett (0%, 8 )
  • Ciaran Clark (0%, 7 )
  • Fabian Schar (0%, 4 )

Total Voters: 2,947

Loading ... Loading ...

• toonbrother

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:18 PM

Atsu is the natural replacement
    But the drop off in quality is steep

• TomaKaThor

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:22 PM

Our only player who can make things happen, oh dear

• catchy in norway

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:23 PM

Sad but injuries happen, let’s hope Atsu steps up

• JP...from The Rock

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:29 PM

This is why we need to get tid of the deadwook we have in Aarons, Colback, Saivet and Gayle and replace them with proper players that fill the squad in times like this.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:29 PM

Moonraker15
    Dec 8, 2019 at 3:14 PM
    Bruce doesn’t know wtf he’s doing!

Ha ha ha

• JP...from The Rock

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:29 PM

*rid of the deadwood

• welshgeordie9

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:30 PM

In Bruce we trust.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:31 PM

His own daft fault I’m afraid and one that could be costly for us. There was no need in the 94th minute to sprint at such intensity. He maxed out probably for the first time since he’s been here at the end of about 170 minutes worth of action he’s had over the last 70 hours.

He got carried away by the crowd.

Said before the match there has been an uptick in hamstring injuries throughout the league this weekend and hoped we could avoid any, given our hard running style.

• geordie157

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:33 PM

If he’s out for a while, I’d bring in either Sean Longstaff to make it 3 in the middle with Almiron given license to roam.

Or

Shift Almiron more central and put Carroll up top alongside Joelinton.

We certainly need another attacking player in Jan. Bowen will cost a lot but seems to be the type of player we are missing other than a natural striker.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:33 PM

I;d try for Burnley

__Joelinton__________________Almiron
    ______________Carroll

Where Joe played for Hoffenheim, where Almiron plays best. On their natural sides, playing off Carroll and supplying him and Shelvey now channeling Nolan with crosses.

• 9

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:40 PM

Is Joelinton any use?

• Hail Wor Ashley

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:41 PM

A few weeks ago when Carroll came on had a cross come into him, held off the defender, controlled it on his chest and volleyed it powerfully with his weak foot, albeit straight at the GK, showed more ST ability than Joelinton has in his 15 starts.

Never seen an attacking player dither so much, wants so many touches that he never looks like getting a shot away. try him at RWF. Familiarity and the pressure of not being the ‘main man’ may help him.

• hibbit

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:42 PM

3 great points but not a great display,overall the win disguises a truly poor performance in the first half,

it really is good to see that andy still wears his hart on his sleeve but he’ll never see out a season playing like that with his injury record, he has to be used sparingly

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:54 PM

Looks like another blood pressure testing day with a nervy 2-1 won but they all count so three more safety points in the bag! Can’t comment on performances as I haven’t seen the “highlights” yet but I gather there aren’t too many of those?

A concern as I said a while back is the threat of mounting injuries. ASM looked like he was hobbling on Thursday and apparently he’s been carrying an ankle problem for a while. Looks like it and the weather (heavy pitches and hard running don’t work together well) have done for him. Hopefully not for long. If we lose a defender we aren’t too desperate but if we lose Carroll it’ll start to look lean again. Hopefully the worst we can do is just make sure we don’t lose.

• 9

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:57 PM

We know Joelinton was flagged up to MA, who was told by the then manager that he wasn’t worth the money. The manager having gone, MA went ahead and spent the big money. My question is very simple: who was advising the owner to buy Joelinton?

• Bambams

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:57 PM

I saw Joelinton for the first time live today and I just do not see anything in him that suggests he can score any goals in this league.

He has neither pace, a trick or anything in the air.

He rarely jumps when the ball is played up to him.

I hoped the lad would make it, a few weeks ago I suggested he needed support – today he just looked lost, offered nothing and just loses the ball when he rarely does move forward with it.

I hope I am proved wrong, I do not like to be critical of the lad, he did not set the transfer fee – which is a completely different conversation.

Just dont see what he has in his locker to be a centre forward.

In my opinion

• Our Toon

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:58 PM

Disaster, he’ll miss a big chunk of games and a player we really need.

Agreed Hail, get joelinton in his natural position and carroll upfront. Best options and hopefully Ritchie is back soon aswell as he’ll be needed with crosses

• Our Toon

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:00 PM

Apparently that very same manager wasnt happy about ASM as an option to be signed either, bad temperament was highlighted as an issue

• hibbit

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:00 PM

clarks having a scan tomorrow on a possible muscle tear

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:07 PM

Have to say, contrary to some opinions, that Shelvey suits captaincy at the moment doesn’t he?

• JohnReese

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:07 PM

I could see us reverting to a 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 whatever you want to call it. I think we went that way after Almiron came off so possibly we might see Almiron as a second striker floating off of Joelinton or Carroll.

In January I think we should go and grab Komano from Bordeaux, contract’s up at the end of the season I believe and he’s another winger who’s got great pace and loves to run at people. Would give us a good option to replace either ASM or Almiron in the team as needed and shouldn’t break the bank.

• carltoon

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:07 PM

First half I could have punched very hard every player bar Dubs and Almiron, it was absolutely shocking. Second half Schar ! what was he thinking. Andy Carroll, the difference he made was unbelievable. I’m sure I got pelters on here being one of a few posters to believe in Shelvey. After a shaky first half, he played great. What a header can’t remember him ever scoring with his head. Well done my favourite player Captain and TOP scorer. I’m really sure whoever called me nieve is reflecting on them words now.

• Moonraker15

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:07 PM

Welsh
    So you think the team Bruce started with had any chance of getting a result?
    Why start with 5 at the back, at home v relegation candidates? We we’re giving up possession cos we were outnumbered in midfield; a child could see we needed Longstaff to back up Jonjo!
    Joelinton should not be anywhere near the team and, actually nor should Miggy!
    The one thing I would say is that these players are playing for him but they are all good characters so they would do!

• 9

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:08 PM

Our Toon, That’s interesting; I wasn’t aware of ASM being mentioned before he was actually signed – obviously I wasn’t keeping close enough tabs on what was going on at the time. ASM is a completely different kettle of fish, in terms of performance since we got him, to Joelinton.

• toonbrother

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:08 PM

when carroll manages to score a actual goal, i’ll accept the problem is Joelington and not the subpar service he receives at the moment
    Until then, i say either stick with joelington or try gayle
    they have the mobility needed to defend from the front
    imho Carroll is suited for the last 10 minutes of games we are chasing

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:09 PM

Atsu will keep up the pace but his decision making is absolutely missing. He’s an impact sub late in a game, always has been sadly probably always will.

• carltoon

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:10 PM

Almiron my man of the match by the way. Wish he could score though.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:11 PM

I doubt any striker will be on the top scorer list anytime soon because of the way we play. But I’d bet AC would bag a lot more given service than Joelinton, he does have a track record that suggests he would after all.

• carltoon

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:13 PM

I thought Hayden was very slow today.

• toonbrother

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:13 PM

If atsu’s decision making is missing, Almiron;s is non existent
    Atsu delivered multiple motm performance earlier this season
    And – in the few games he has played thus far- has provided more assists than almiron has in his entire NUFC career

Lets keep things in perspective

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:13 PM

Almiron is the new Jonas. Wore himself ragweed but got 50/50 from the fans, the 50 % who didn’t like him were clueless oafs.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:14 PM

Atsu has been a sub choice for years because of it that’s perspective right there.

• Moonraker15

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:15 PM

Our toon
    I can understand Rafa not wanting ASM even though he had tremendous skill. Like HBA he’s a great entertainer but he’ll probably only be effective in about 5% of games. I love to watch him but he rarely has an end product. What did he produce today! Most good managers wouldn’t have him I’m afraid. Having said that he’s a great entertainer!

• Munster Mag

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:17 PM

Tsunki I thought it was clever of Bruce to make him captain. I’m not sure about his legs and pace etc, but smart psychology. More credit in the bank for the soft spoken manager.

• Munster Mag

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:18 PM

Moonraker that’s rubbish. He works hard and has been our main threat. If Raga didn’t want him it says plenty about his approach to the game.

• toonbrother

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:19 PM

lol what an inane argument
    I guess Shelvey being a sub choice pretty much all of last season proves his decision making is also “absolutely missing”

Atsu is presently the best Attacking midfielder in the squad
    He Has speed, trickery and a good eye for defense splitting passes
    Only thing missing from his game is goals

• Moonraker15

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:24 PM

Munster
    None of the top managers would have him! That’s why we’ve got him, same as Almiron and Joey! Nobody wanted them and it’s not surprising when you look at their stats and Fedo has scored more than all of them!

• Charlietoon

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:26 PM

Gutted to lose saint but I wouldn’t go for Atsu. Start Andy up front and put Joel or Almiron on the left.

• Moonraker15

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:28 PM

I stand by what I said months ago. If we don’t sign someone to score goals we’ll get relegated. Our goal difference is -8