web analytics

Bruce Names Two Players Knocking At His Door

Both Fabian Schar and Sean Longstaff came on as substitutes after not featuring since October.

Fabian Schar suffered a knee injury that kept him out of the Wolves draw along with the West Ham and Bournemouth wins. Federico Fernandez came into the team and has kept his place despite Schar being available since Aston Villa.

Sean Longstaff received a straight red against Wolves opening the door for both Jonjo Shelvey and Isaac Hayden. Both have thrived as Newcastle’s midfield pairing since the West Ham win.

After yesterday’s win, Steve Bruce spoke about both Fabian and Sean and how they’re continuing to push for their places back in the team.

The Chronicle have published some of the head coach’s comment on the duo:

“I’m delighted to see Longy again. Look, the way to create the spirit when somebody comes into the team and does well is to reward them, and that’s the way I’ve always tried to manage.

“I’ve had Fab Schar knocking on the door for weeks now he’s back fit, but Dummett and Clark and Fede have been excellent.

“We’ve got Florian Lejeune as well, so we’ll need them now.

“All of a sudden, we’ve got six or seven [injuries], so we need that big squad and that’s when I’ll use them all.”

While it is a good problem to have considering the alternative, it’s got to be hard to keep players like Schar and Longstaff on the bench. However, Bruce has been justified with his team selections though it may have caught up with him a bit yesterday.

We now have two players that could be added to the injury list in Allan Saint-Maximin and Ciaran Clark. Both players were suffering from recent knocks. Ciaran Clark returned from the Republic of Ireland squad with a hamstring problem while Allan Saint-Maximin has been nursing a sore ankle.

Both Clark and Saint-Maximin have featured heavily since the Manchester United win and may have been due for a rest. However, hindsight is always 20/20 and both players have been instrumental in our form since early October.

If Clark is a no go for Saturday’s trip to Burnley, then Fabian Schar is an easy selection to come back into the team. We’d also expect Christian Atsu to come in for Saint-Maximin if the Frenchman’s hamstring keeps him out of action.

The Ghanaian has been a tremendous asset this season. He was excellent when he came on early for Allan at Tottenham and also over then next four matches, all of which he started. Despite playing just a total of 60 minutes since then in 8 substitute appearances, he leads Newcastle with 3 assists.

As for Sean Longstaff, his path back into the squad is a little bit more muddled with the performances of Jonjo Shelvey and Isaac Hayden. However, if either of them slip up or get a knock, Sean will be chomping at the bit to get back into this team.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match Against Southampton?

• Martin Dubravka (37%, 1,091 )
  • Andy Carroll (25%, 731 )
  • Jonjo Shelvey (16%, 470 )
  • Fede Fernandez (8%, 228 )
  • A. Saint-Maximin (6%, 173 )
  • Miguel Almiron (3%, 86 )
  • Javier Manquillo (2%, 60 )
  • Isaac Hayden (1%, 36 )
  • Sean Longstaff (1%, 22 )
  • Joelinton (1%, 20 )
  • Jetro Willems (0%, 11 )
  • Paul Dummett (0%, 8 )
  • Ciaran Clark (0%, 7 )
  • Fabian Schar (0%, 4 )

Total Voters: 2,947

Loading ... Loading ...

• Belfast

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:38 PM

Put a big sweaty thick winter sock in it Tsunki.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:38 PM

Welsh

I see your club lost 5-1.

• RobLeenio

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:40 PM

Alan Pardew on taking the Newcastle job:

“The first day I was there, the door goes and Joey Barton’s at the door, he comes in and typical Joey, no formalities, goes, ‘just to let you know that me and the players don’t want you here, we don’t think that you should be here and you need to know it.”

I always knew I liked Joey Barton

😉

• Moonraker15

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:40 PM

I still find it hard to believe Ashley let Rafa go!
    That set us back years; I know we’ve had a few canny results this season but god SJP is like a freakin morgue!

• Moonraker15

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:42 PM

RobLeenio
    And JB was right; unfortunately it’s got worse not better!

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:45 PM

“…and some of you may even care…”

Well you hammered me in that debate.

Well done.

• Munster Mag

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:46 PM

Looking for opinions on indoor football footwear lads. I play on a basketball surface and am thinking of changing from normal trainers to some of those specific indoor soccer trainers ( not astro turf) . Any users?

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:48 PM

Geordietom just can it with the geriatric hooligan posturing and grow up – if there’s still time. I’ve never really been much interested in your whining claptrap and your desperate grip on current affairs so yeah no problemo I’ll give you a swerve if you can resist slapping your gums together and spitting out chunky soup bits in my direction. 🙂

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:49 PM

Still chewing that last sock belfast. Why did they let you out? Is it bedlinen change day again so soon? 🙂

• welshgeordie9

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:50 PM

I see that you are a bell end.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:51 PM

Bruce to be named manager of the year.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:53 PM

I’m not at all eager to see any existing season ticket holders take the empty seat of a protesting one simply because it’s offered for free. That’s surely not the right thing to do.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:55 PM

You been cleaning that mirror again welshie? Big loss the other day I see.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 9, 2019 at 7:56 PM

Welshie if things go up the wall for Stevie B how would you like him at your place? 🙂

• welshgeordie9

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:00 PM

That makes two bell ends.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:01 PM

Lovely stuff from the owner you love. Get that wedge in and divide the fans more by giving season ticket holders the “scab” card ha ha. He knows what he’s doing all right. We are United? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:04 PM

BnB

Blimey you’re having a right go tonight at people, I think you need a good.
    Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmh

• ronaldo aarons

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:06 PM

Interesting seeing Haller at West Ham recently being dropped for a few games. For Antonio as well. Just a thought but maybe adjusting to the league is difficult enough and price tag is irrelevant.

• Bleatin' n Bruced

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:10 PM

You’re right Essex. You can sense the tension. I’ve been threatened with a thrashing by an octogenarian hard man with a walking cane and a good Zimmer framing by his pals. I’m nervously looking over my shoulder in case someone gradually shuffles up to me from the darkness and tries to smother me with a tartan leg blanket.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:12 PM

As someone who has worked on people using physiological correctional and manipulative techniques I agree that historical injuries can have a long term knock on affect to a persons body.

I have had people come to me with back problems and during the preliminary diagnosis have mentioned something like damaging an ankle or knee many years before and this has ended up causing the the problem years later.

Just thought I’d chuck my two pennorth in.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:16 PM

Jib

The totals mentioned have been only those mentioned on the blog by Ed and Neil but as NY Mag is now bored with the game, I’ll leave it to you to continue. 🙂

• Ron Knee

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:17 PM

Insomniacs – tune into the WHam-Arsenal match.

• Jib

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:22 PM

EGB
    NUFC.com haven’t updated their rumours page since 20th November
    They’ve clearly given it up as a bad job – I think we should too

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:24 PM

Robleenio

Interesting that you should mention the up and coming youngsters we do have.

I did postulate yesterday.the possibility of two of them perhaps coming into the match day squad yesterday, wingers to cover for StMaxi

• NY Mag

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:25 PM

Bill,

I’m not bored of it…..just very bad at it 🙂

• Jib

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:26 PM

Mike Dean is a dreadfully inconsistent referee

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:27 PM

Jib

I think you’ll find that the IT team at NUFC.Com are too busy running the PR teams on the blog. 😉

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:28 PM

NY Mag

Better than me, I said 27! 🙂

• Online Guy

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:30 PM

Let’s not dress it up Mr Ashley, Mr Bruce, Mr Charnley, 12 thousand missing fans now have to be replaced with free season ticket people .

Ask yourself how has that happened at a club who once had a 17 thousand strong waiting list for season tickets .

Your doing a grand job Mike Ashley ..grand .

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:31 PM

I managed a plethora of yesterdays in my last comment.

So! Just swap love for football punditry

• Online Guy

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:33 PM

I don’t give a damn what Steve Bruce does for Newcastle on the pitch ..he is still Ashleys yes man .

Bruce is playing players that he is told to play, Joelinton .

A £40 million pound embarrassment to Mike Ashley ..Rafa was right .

• Jib

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:37 PM

OLG
    The 17K waiting list was when the capacity was 37K
    That’s why SJH extended SJP
    Your point is taken though

• Jib

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:39 PM

Gerrin Hammers !!!!!!

• Online Guy

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:40 PM

I hear the atmosphere is dire at StJames Park nowadays

Compare that to when Sir John Hall and Special K were running the show.

Ashleys dictatorship is now starting to show through..12 thousand empty seats ..free tickets !

Why ?

• Moonraker15

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:40 PM

You’d think Ashley would be worried or even ashamed but buying HoF is pretty embarrassing and being responsible for the strategy which has dropped SD shares fro £9 to £3 is pathetic, so the plight of Nufc is small beer!

• Online Guy

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:44 PM

Rob

I share your optimism in that I hope a lot of the young players you mention come through and do well..of course there are no guarantees . Always good when they shine though and he’s home grown .

Saying all that Rob I’m afraid my enthusiasm is countered and dulled by one Mike Ashley in all things Newcastle.

• Moonraker15

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:45 PM

OLG
    The gate receipts aren’t as critical as they were years ago before tv money was as big.
    Ashley would rather have a full stadium for appearance so he’s gonna give the seats away.
    As he’s put the prices up he’s not losing much.
    But what can you expect from an owner that paid £40 million for Joelinton?

• Moonraker15

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:47 PM

Meaning he has no interest or knowledge of football matters!

• Online Guy

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:49 PM

Jib

Fair point .

Mind the ground didn’t look lopsided back then …less people 37 thou , more atmosphere ..partly due to the acoustics at that time .

Liverpool are extending again …Local council right behind it all. Going up to 61 thou.

• investinyouthtoon

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:53 PM

On these free half season tickets, fans being identified and others who have paid will they be saying “how come they get free tickets when I’ve had to pay 500 or 600 quid”. Surely there’s bound to be fans upset by this news and emotions can boil over.

Surely this must be a desperate ploy by Ashley as why give them away for free rather than reduced price for rest of season, unless he is really rattled by the lower attendances