web analytics

Newcastle And Charlton ‘Sources’ Provide Updates On Striker Link

Yesterday, there was a report that Newcastle were leading the race for Charlton Athletic striker Macauley Bonne.

The 24-year-old has been a big hit for Lee Bowyer since signing from newly-promoted League Two’s Leyton Orient for £200k. It was a strange link as the Ipswich born striker had spent most of his career in England’s lower leagues. While Leicester City’s Jamie Vardy followed a similar path, Bonne is likely no Jamie Vardy.

Amidst reports that Newcastle and Leicester City were tracking their striker, Charlton have reportedly issued a hands-off warning to the two Premier League clubs.

Football League World are reporting that they have been told by Charlton sources that Bonne is not for sale in January.

Charlton, who are currently in 17th after a bright start to life in the Championship, will want to hold on the player they just signed this past summer.

However, Charlton’s stance may come to nothing as far as Newcastle fans are concerned. The Chronicle are reporting that sources with Newcastle are dispelling the link to Bonne as a January transfer target.

We think Newcastle may have Bonne on the radar but will want to see how he will fare for an entire season. While he could turn out to become a Premier League player in the future, he’s not likely to be of any benefit to Newcastle this winter.

• G

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Big risk anyway. More often than not strikers like that turn out to be duds. They cant all be Vardy.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:20 PM

The risk with playing Joelinton as a wide forward in Bruce’s system is that more often than not he will be playing as a secondary full back for most of the game!

This isn’t what he was used to at Hoffenheim where they pressed and had runners all over the pitch we are still far too defensive to get the best out of him

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:20 PM

Don’t see it myself, just cos he’s having a good season, as what G say’s above.

I’d rather we signed Toney.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:22 PM

I’ll repost my Monologue once the bus has finally stopped. 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:23 PM

Or even give Charman a chance probably just as good if not better.

• Bobbybee

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:33 PM

The free ticket issue completely backs up my assertion that you can’t hold a multi billionaire to ransom. He’s so devastated by the loss, of ticket revenue… he’s giving them away.
    It’s water off a ducks back to Ashley.
    At least we’re now getting to the nitty gritty of it with people saying they don’t want to watch that brand of football. The footballs shit, I’m not going.
    Why not just say that at the beginning, instead of attacking fans who’ll support the team through thick and thin? Nothing wrong with not wanting to go because you think the football is dire. I don’t, I think defence is a crucial part of any team and enjoy watching teams struggle to break us, down and then get whacked on the counter. But then, I’ve seen worse than this many a time and this is no worse than watching Rafa’s team – and I loved Rafa.
    As for fans with STs getting a Freeby – why not? If the seats are empty, wtf? I won’t apply because I get a free one anyway and I’ll leave them for those who pay full whack. Nice to see loyalty being rewarded. And why are people who’ve stated plainly they don’t want to go complaining? Not really your business is it?
    Good for you Martoon for taking advantage.

• martoon