web analytics

Defensive Duo Still Have Uncertain Futures On Tyneside

Two players who are quickly running down the time on their current deals are Federico Fernandez and Javier Manquillo. Both players have come in from the cold to provide Newcastle with a spark when called upon.

Fernandez filled in for the injured Fabian Schar and has since kept his place in the squad despite Schar’s availability.

Similarly, Javier Manquillo came in for DeAndre Yedlin in the draw against Manchester City and has been outstanding in his three starts over the past few weeks.

The club have decisions to make on both players next month as their contracts expire in the summer. With just 6 months left on their deals, they will be free to speak to clubs on the continent in January for a free agent move this summer.

The Northern Echo are reporting that Fernandez is keen to extend his stay on Tyneside.

This is what the Argentine has said about his preference to remain a Magpie:

“Would I like to stay longer? Yes, it’s a great club. But, of course, we need to talk in January. We will see what the club thinks about it.

“We will sit at the table and see what the options are. I haven’t spoken yet. I focus on playing on the team. It’s December so we have time.

“I am focused, and when you play and play well, and the team plays well, everything is easier. We will see what is going on in the next two months.”

The issue with Fernandez is that he will turn 31 in February. He faces a very similar situation to the one Mohammed Diame faced last season. The club would only offer Mo a one-year extension, and that was just not something he would consider.

It would likely take at the very least a two-year deal to keep Fernandez at Newcastle. Though, he could probably find a longer deal by moving on a free this summer. It will be fascinating to what transpires with Fede over the next few months.

Javier Manquillo is in a slightly different boat as he’s just 25. However, he’s only recently come back into the team after not even making the bench for the six matches before his return against Manchester City.

Like Fernandez, Manquillo is yet to enter into any negotiations with Newcastle for an extension. We expect Manquillo to keep his place in the team over the next few weeks. So a lot could depend on if he can find the consistency that has alluded him in his Newcastle career thus far.

He seems better suited as a wing-back than a full-back in a back four. So maybe, Javier can continue to excel over the next few months and win himself a new deal.

• Bills Son Is Back

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:24 PM

Rotunda’s reply to my supporting the team but not the regime…

Bills, Yes it is a cliche and one is still totally unachievable without doing the other.

I say that’s bollix.

And Rotunda replies that I’m an ‘opinionated little chap;’.

Oh the irony.

You couldn’t make it up…

He’s not opinionated when he gives his opinion…

But I am when I give mine.

Ha, ha, ha, haaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Work that one out.

• lesh

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:29 PM

Jib’s off again…. on his high horse

‘…… the title ” U16 ” can confuse folk who don’t
    know much about footy’…… or have got better things to do with their time than to spend all day interrogating Google to try to pass on supposed knowledge about everything let alone ‘footy’.

• toon22

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:32 PM

JIB and his many alts post here due to him being PR

Hiya JIB

Nobody cares anymore

• Jib

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:33 PM

confused folk who don’t know much about footy

That certainly describes you lesh

• Bills Son Is Back

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:33 PM

Jib’s on his high horse…

More irony from one of the blog les miserables.

Says Lesh who rides a Shetland…

Aye right he doesn’t.

More like a dray horse.

• Bills Son Is Back

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:34 PM

toon22

Nobody cares about your PR nonsense anymore.

• DaveD1000

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:35 PM

I would argue against Manquillo being unable to find consistency Neil. The last run of games he had he improved game on game.His recent runouts have been half decent. I hold my hands up to not rating him at first but now i’m leaning towards a preference for him over Yedders.

• hibbit

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:41 PM

Jib

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:00 PM

hibbit
    yes I do from the way you have posted before

the cut off date is 31st August

The title ” U16 ” can confuse folk who don’t
    know much about footy
    There will be quite a few kids playing who will be
    16 come December

There will also be quite a few kids playing who wont be
    16 come December playing in a under 16 team

what a sad little person you are trying to score brownie point at the expense of a group of underprivileged kids

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:43 PM

Mindshaft
    As one of the older people on the blog, would you like to point out where in My MA/iiiis monologues you find content that is supportive of the current regime.

• G

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:43 PM

DaveD1000 @ 7. I would go along with that. Didn’t rate him from either his Liverpool or Mackems stint, so was suitably unimpressed with his signing. Seems to be thriving of late, and if he is consistent then he could make himself undroppable.

• JohnReese

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:44 PM

I think part of the problem for Manquillo was playing at LB as often as he did. He admittedly struggled and I think it soured a lot of people’s view of him, my own included. However when he’s played at RB sporadically it would be harsh to say he’s let us down at all. If he had the managers confidence and got a consistent run of game time I think we could see the player that a number of top clubs thought was in there.

On Fede Fernandez I really wouldn’t mind seeing something a long the lines of a new 2 year deal or a year with the club having an option on the second year. At worst he is a very able deputy who can come in and do a good job for the team as he’s shown throughout this past run of fixtures.

• G

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:46 PM

I just think about the cost involved replacing somebody of Fede’s quality, and think that this one is really a no-brainer for the club. Give him 2 years, with an option. Not everybody is burned out at 33 these days.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:46 PM

Hi toon22

Just to let you know that whenever come out with your usual rubbish I will post my previous comment, just for balance though!

toon22

Can I ask you a serious question, just what have you done to oust Ashlie?

You have admitted that this is the only blog that you inhabit. So you are repeating the same message over and over to the same people ad nauseum.

These incidentally are people who desire as much as you do to see a change of owner, so why keep telling us what we already know.

I believe that you are an out and out wum who’s sole purpose in life is to wind up honest and committed genuine Toon supporters for your own vanity and gratification because it serves no other purpose on this blog.

To be perfectly honest the only real value to the blog for your comments is that it raises the hits for Ed and Neil, so from that aspect please do continue.

But nothing you have done has had any affect on getting rid of Ashlie, all you have really done is driven off some very good posters, I hope you get some satisfaction from that.

Oh and by the way there is no PR presence on this blog, that is only in your mind.

If you were to post sensible comments as you have in the past then I will happily chat with you, if you wanted to!

• geordietom

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:46 PM

Rontonda …

i’m not flying from Newcastle flying from EMA .as i live in derby direct flight to Faro cheers for the info …

• geordietom

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:47 PM

OP …

when i speak to you i’ll rattle your cage …

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:57 PM

In The Works this morning I spotted what may well be a certain socialists method for paying for all of the promised reforms, it was a money gun and no doubt every home with get one along with the free broadband.

Gets my vote!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:59 PM

Well the world whole monetary system is an illusion anyway so a toy money gun is as good an answer to the financial ailments of the world as any other!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:00 PM

Cue Lesh! 🙂

• geordie157

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:22 PM

I would like to see both offered new deals.

Both players are good pro’s, never moan, Fernandez has been good nearly every time he’s been called upon and was only dropped from the side last season when he got injured, he was in great form before then. He tends to be the no nonsense type and is proving to be useful in the oppositions box.

Manquillo, I thought he was poor until the second half of last season, he definitely shouldn’t be playing on the left. He’s pretty solid at rb but seems to be impressing most at rwb. He’s putting some decent crosses in the box, tracking back well and rarely lets the attacking player get past him. He’s overtaken Yedlin for me who regularly gets caught out of position with a centre back having to bail him out if we don’t concede.

I think the players to offload are Elliott, Darlow, Ki, Murphy and Gayle

Still hoping Woodman signs another deal.

• RobLeenio

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:32 PM

I’ve been pointing out that manquillo is much better than he’s given credit for for at least a couple of years. Good to see him finally getting some recognition.

I saw him on the left of defence in the flesh against forest in the cup and he looked out of position, but he has the skill and the pace to be decent.

I like the guy and hope he is given a new deal.

• Pain in the Blog

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:46 PM

I have always liked Javier Manquillo as a RWB. He is far better defensively than Yedlin and almost as good going forwards. I think he lost his credibility briefly when we played Cardiff last year and Jacob Murphy’s brother tore him a new one. But that has really been his only bad performance in that position.

• DaveD1000

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:48 PM

G 157 yup that’s about where I am in my thinking.

all this talk about footy will probably get us banned….

• Mister Tuff

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:48 PM

Tomorrow we could all relax if JC gets the job.

Tubbs will be arrested and his property seized. Ticket prices will be reduced – easy to pay out of the promised £6,700 notes we’ve all been promised.

Getting there? No problems – free car – or free bus and rail travel.

• Jib

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:04 PM

Thursday reminds me of Benny Hill’s Chinese character
    (very non pc these days)
    Henry McGee is interviewing Benny playing the Chinese Premier
    Henry
    “So premier when did you last have an election”
    Benny