web analytics

Newcastle Now Lack Depth In Crucial Area

Newcastle started this campaign short on players who could play on either wing. While they added Allan Saint-Maximin, they only had Matt Ritchie, Christian Atsu, and Miguel Almiron in the ranks.

It was not a big issue to start the season as Steve Bruce played without wingers in a 3-5-2 formation using his wing-backs for width. However, that formation was tossed after a poor showing at Norwich City.

In its place, Bruce went with a 5-4-1 that saw some improvements and has gradually gotten better. However, with Allan Saint-Maximin out until mid-January and Matt Ritchie also sidelined until next year, what would Bruce do if either Christian Atsu or Miguel Almiron get injured.

If that were to happen, we would be in a bit of a jam on the left. Bruce could move Jetro Willems forward and then use Paul Dummett as a wing-back.

However, that would not play to Dummett’s strength and would hurt our attacking threat.

On the right, we would be slightly better off as DeAndre Yedlin could push forward with Javier Manquillo as the wing-back.

There’s also the option of using Joelinton or Yoshinori Muto out wide as they have played in the past. Though both are definitely not wingers.

Tom Allan– scored two penalties last night

A final option, though one born of desperation, would be to draft in a youngster from the reserves. We have quite a few wingers that Bruce could pick from.

Twenty-year-old Tom Allan has been in top form for the U-23s this season. The right-winger was named by Lee Ryder last month as one of two young Magpies who could step into the first team in a pinch. The other was defender Lewis Cass who made the bench in the Tottenham win to close last season.

Another youngster who is a possibility if Newcastle are out of other options is 21-year-old Victor Fernandez who has been great in spurts this season. Fernandez could play on either wing but is still working his way back to full fitness after missing almost all of last season through various injuries.

A final option from the U-23s is twenty-year-old Rosaire Longelo who can play on the left-wing. Longelo has scored twice this season and could also be an emergency option at left wing-back.

We are certainly not in an ideal position at the moment and are very vulnerable if either Almiron or Atsu are forced to miss any games.

What Will Be The Result In Saturday's Match At Burnley?

• Win (43%, 716 )
  • Draw (34%, 563 )
  • Loss (23%, 391 )

Total Voters: 1,670

Loading ... Loading ...

• Ron Knee

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:40 PM

“Silence implies consent.”

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:42 PM

Go Ron, like I care what you think? 😀 You’re not really part of this discussion are you?

• Ron Knee

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:46 PM

Why’s that, Bobby?

• Mindshaft

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:48 PM

BobbyBee – Not sure I recall anyone ever telling you to stop going but I don’t really go back and look at past posts much so I may have missed it…. although you seem to attack a lot of fans who say they don’t go to games because of Ashley slowly draining hope from people… The reality is that it’s the internet which has become most influential factor of football. Long gone are the days of waiting for the first edition of the Pink to get a match report and the only people you discussed the game with were people who were actually at the game.

The internet influences football a lot more than television did in the past due to the fact every fan can have a viewpoint and the ability to debate via sites like this one both during and after the game and beyond. The main reason being you can post whatever and whenever you want and the only time you cannot post your opinion is when the site owner eventually bans you. This also means that a clubs dealings and inner workings such as the training ground, owner deals, managers along with everything else is out in the open and up for debate.
    Ideally this is a positive thing for football because it is getting fans actively involved and created healthy arguments/discussions ( although as we can see from this site, it seems more arguments).
    Pretty much all games are now streamed either legally or illegally and more and more fans will take the opportunity to watch via the internet – does that make them a lesser fan than someone who still goes to SJP on matchday or follows the team to away games – it’s definitely a different experience but I wouldn’t call Jib a lesser fan because he watches most games on the internet – times have changed and for football it’s a good thing as more and more people become involved and have access to the internet / Sky than can go to games – it obviously follows that more and more people will join the debate. It also means that toon fans can watch other teams such as Liverpool / Leicester / /Wolves playing better football than us and the board stating ‘ambition’ – it’s natural that all fans expect hope as a minimum whether you attend or watch on Sky or the internet via legal streams or even illegal – they are equal as fans in my book and I travel the country following toon whenever possible but clearly don’t expect others too

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:49 PM

Your argument goes like this. Do what I say or you’re not a proper fan. Agree with me, even though the evidence destroys any weak argument you put forward. Even though you don’t agree with me, you must do as I say.
    Again you can’t hold a rich man to ransom. He’s proven that by giving tickets away. Whatever his motives, he’s given them away.
    How’s this ‘social conscience’ doing when you lace up your Addidas or Nike’s? Give any thought to the child labour making them?
    This is all about YOU and nothing to do with NUFC. You’re customers complaining about the product. That’s what other fans are laughing at. Mid table and still bleating.

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:54 PM

Mindshaft, this very idea that all fans are equal is BS mate. It’s a symptom of the world today. Everyone has be viewed as the same. All winners, no losers.
    If you think somebody who bothers his arse to go to games in the wet and cold, is equal to those who admit to not even watching games on TV and switching off halfway through, with all the effort it takes to use a remote control, you’re delusional. We’re not the same, we never have been. Whether that suits the modern agenda or not – which in every circumstance drags people down to their level – is neither here nor there.

• Assassins Inc

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:56 PM

Newcastle history in the making, another key player gets injured, nothing in Jan, kid comes in like he should of beginning of season, plays a blinder and saves our season.

Anna Friel does the medical. 🙂

If we are not going to use Gayle or Muto as BB said, yes sell them or use them as a part exchange for a player we could use.

• G

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:59 PM

AI, if Anna Friel does the medical, sign me up mate! As long as she skips the attempted Geordie accent.

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2019 at 1:00 PM

Mindshaft, whilst I’m at it, show me in my posts where I demand anybody goes to games. Never have, never will. Know why? I don’t care what other people do. I’m defending myself, not attacking others. I DON’T CARE WHAT THEY DO. And what I do is my business. That’s it. End of. But I’m not the one begging for praise for being a martyr ffs. I don’t buy it, is that so hard to comprehend? And if they didn’t attack me, I wouldn’t respond. Is THAT hard to comprehend? It’s all simple enough, I fail to see the problem.

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2019 at 1:05 PM

Assassin, nobody needs to persuade me the club isn’t being run properly mate! 😀 But of a shambles without question. But until he gets a £300 million + offer, he’s not selling.
    We need to shift the players not getting a look in and replace them with players good enough to start. Neither of those two have ever cut it as strikers in the PL.
    Now, whether Ashley will is anybody’s guess. I stopped trying to second guess him a long time ago.

• nufc 11

Dec 12, 2019 at 2:07 PM

The nufc accountant’s will do a great job hiding the loses Mike Ashley is surely suffering in this whole charade of a season that is one thing for sure.

• JP...from The Rock

Dec 12, 2019 at 5:00 PM

Jarrod Bowen is a must this January and he can cover these positions.