web analytics

What Plans Could Be In Place For Summer Window?

Last week Steve Bruce spoke about the plans for this summer’s transfer window. He hinted that there was possibly a couple of ‘things’ in place.

This is what the head coach said at the time:

“Yeah, there’s plans of course. There’s a lot of water under the bridge until then but we have two or three things in place.

“I’m sure all of us are not naive enough to not address the Bosman situation. It’s always a good one for any club. We are in the process of that like everybody else does, I suppose.

“That’s no secret. We’re working away to see who is out of contract and who might be available.”

This opens the door to speculation that Newcastle have started the planning for some free agents moves.

While there are some excellent players whose contracts run out in 2020 like PSV’s Gaston Pereiro or Nice’s Malang Sarr, there should be plenty of money available, especially if there are no additions this winter.

There is likely some preliminary work underway on some of our top transfer targets. The Chronicle’s Ciaran Kelly seems to think that’s the case.

During the Chronicle’s Q&A on Wednesday, Kelly was asked about Newcastle’s transfer plans in both January and the summer. This is some of what he had to say:

“Plans for the summer have already started, though, and there are things in place.

“It is worth remembering Joelinton, Allan Saint-Maximin and Jetro Willems were aware of Newcastle’s interest several months before their summer moves and the Magpies look to do the vast majority of their business in the summer.”

Kelly makes an apt point that all three of these summer transfers were in play well before they actually happened. The Joelinton and Saint-Maximin transfers were being worked on last winter.

So hopefully, we’ll have a smoother window without the drama of a coaching search. It’s a big offseason for Newcastle with so many players who will either be out of contract or have just one year remaining. We could see a lot of activity both in and out of the club.

What Will Be The Result In Saturday's Match At Burnley?

• Win (43%, 716 )
  • Draw (34%, 563 )
  • Loss (23%, 391 )

Total Voters: 1,670

Loading ... Loading ...

• Assassins Inc

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:38 AM

This not securing at least one striker in Jan could backfire on Newcastle in a hurry, unless they are being coy and not letting the cat out of the bag finally.

• hibbit

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:45 AM

posada

my hart says win but head says draw ………… I’ve gone for the win 😉

• lesh

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:59 AM

Jib

I’ve been meaning to ask you for a few days where you got the words to the railroad song you’ve posted a few times?

• lesh

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:03 PM

@3….

They certainly ain’t from Take This Hammer

• jimiley

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:03 PM

The plan is to keep the gate above 30k.
    42k at the last game and we are mid table!!!!!!.
    10K free season tickets. Whats that all about??? Its getting embarrassing for the big man. Desperate measures required by a desperate man.
    Even the best supporters in the land have had enough.
    Fat man is keen on big Joe at 40 million. Sums it all up.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:12 PM

Bobby

”If I stopped going, I’d stop”

Wow, profound.

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:13 PM

Funny thing this. I come on and read about how I’m a so called fan – lmao – and Posada under attack, but when I say anything, the bleeding hearts question why I’M being horrible. GTF.
    Reality check. NUFC is a football club. It’s not a political issue. YOU turned it into one.
    Back in the 80s we had the same thing. Because fans couldn’t handle how bad we were, they started to ‘boycott’. Stop going in other words. Loyal to the bone – until they weren’t.
    Then KK came. All came flooding back declaring their love for NUFC. At the top end, we had a waiting list of thousands. Where did they go when we were shit? Oh yeah, boycotting.
    The outlook in July was grim. What a time to boycott. Boycott is a euphemism for ‘I’m not watching that. Not good enough for me’.
    Seems a lot of people climed aboard the bandwagon and are now cursing the fact.
    We’ve never been a winning team. Not for most of my lifetime anyway. If winning is that important, you backed the wrong horse.
    I’m not looking to fight with anybody, but I will defend my corner. I’m not the one saying ‘I’ll only support NUFC when things are how I want them’. I’m saying, ‘I’ll support NUFC REGARDLESS, because all that matters are the players representing my club.
    Souness once said ‘ NUFC have 20k true fans and 30k customers’. I disagreed at the time and still do, but only customers complain about the product if they’re not happy. Fans turn up to watch their team. That’s why Blyth have about 500 loyal fans. Sunlun fans, for all the grief we give em, are turning up in Division One. Don’t say you would too, because we’re a mid table PL team and it’s still not good enough for some of you.
    You get mad at me because I tell cold hard truths. If Ashley sells up you might come back – if you can get a seat – but sooner or later, unless we’re top of the table area, it won’t be long until the bleating starts again. It’s far more boring than the football, believe me.
    I have no problem you staying away. My problem is you attack people who don’t agree with you. I’ve said all along, if I thought for one second it might work, I’d join in. It’s NEVER worked. You can’t hold a billionaire to ransom.
    He doesn’t care about the gate money when he’s getting 160-170 million from other places.
    I love NUFC and football. I’m not giving it up on a pipedream, to justify your decision. I have a completely different opinion. I’m a realist.
    Ashley has just shown he doesn’t care about us, I won’t waste my time on him. I’ve never gone and cheered for any owner, nor will I. They’ve all got ulterior motives, unless they’re so rich it’s become a hobby.
    A bad owner is part and parcel of supporting a club, no different from a bad manager or bad players. You either go, or you don’t and nobody cares either way. Some have never gone to games and are now ‘boycotting’. Hilarious.
    If you don’t want home truths, stop telling lies about us. We want a new owner. It would be nice. We want to win cups, that would be great. City style football would be amazing. We’d still go under those circumstances, so would you. See the difference?
    If I stopped going, I’d stop. I wouldn’t attack those who do just because I’d had enough. You need to grow up.

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:15 PM

I need to make it simple Rotunda. It means I wouldn’t cry about it, and demand others do the same. Attack the messenger, not the message – par for the course.

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:16 PM

Who told you that plan Jim? Nobody, you made it up. And you’re wrong. The most loyal fans are still going.

• DaveD1000

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:16 PM

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:18 PM

Assassin, we need to sell Gayle and Muto. They’re contributing nothing anyway and just earning crazy wages. Use the money to buy a proven striker and take the heat off Joelinton until he develops more.

• jimiley

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:24 PM

That 42k will only get lower over time. Tell me why it will go up?
    It may go up with free tickets in the short term remedy and will backfire

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:27 PM

Jim, I don’t care who doesn’t go mate. What they do with their time and money is none of my business. Just like what I do is mine. It can go down to 10-15k again for all I care. How many are there doesn’t bother me as long as I’m there. Why are people so bothered about what others, do?

• Rotonda heights

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:31 PM

Bobbybee

I wonder if you could just take time out from slinging arrows and realise people who have the best interests of NUFC at heart have made a conscious decision to go against Ashley in the only way accessible to them. In a similar situation other clubs fans may have acted far more swiftly, but your decision to belittle our stayaway (on principle) fans at every turn and say boycotts never work has clearly been shown to not be the case.

Jib

Can you please list your pros and cons for Ashley, including for example the sale and development of the Strawberry lane site in the best interests of the club.

• Lindisfarne

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:35 PM

Whilst i like the idea of free half season tickets going to those not intending on utilising them, i don’t see how the protest groups can organise to pull it off. As they are generally populated by those who have deliberately given up their own season tickets and will no longer be eligible.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:38 PM

Bobbybee

I think the short term answer is that people are bothered because they see the people still going as only in it for themselves and thereby condoning, facilitating and sanctioning every dispicable thing ashley does to something very close to their hearts.

• Bobbybee

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:39 PM

Rotunda, are you mad? Did I start this? No. Will I defend myself? Damn right I will. Who’s flinging arrows anyway? Oh yeah, you 😀
    Typical, you don’t want to even hear the other side of the argument because it destroys yours. Nobody is doing this because they love the club ffs. They’re doing it because they can’t handle supporting a crap team. This is because Rafa left and Bruce took over. Ironically, he’s doing better than Rafa at this stage. If he’d had Rafa’s run he’d have been crucified. Never heard such utter nonsense in my life – except the last time boycotters stopped going. We were crap then as well.
    Difference now is were doing OK.
    Nobody is boycotting for ME. OK? I haven’t asked them to, nor would I. Do wtf you want.
    You don’t get ‘Newcastle till I die’. You never have and you never will. Get over yourself

• Jib

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:43 PM

Rotonda heights

Could you kiss my ass ?

• Mindshaft

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:44 PM

BobbyBee – Not sure I recall anyone ever telling you to stop going but I don’t really go back and look at past posts much so I may have missed it…. although you seem to attack a lot of fans who say they don’t go to games because of Ashley slowly draining hope from people… The reality is that it’s the internet which has become most influential factor of football. Long gone are the days of waiting for the first edition of the Pink to get a match report and the only people you discussed the game with were people who were actually at the game.

The internet influences football a lot more than television did in the past due to the fact every fan can have a viewpoint and the ability to debate via sites like this one both during and after the game and beyond. The main reason being you can post whatever and whenever you want and the only time you cannot post your opinion is when the site owner eventually bans you. This also means that a clubs dealings and inner workings such as the training ground, owner deals, managers along with everything else is out in the open and up for debate.
    Ideally this is a positive thing for football because it is getting fans actively involved and created healthy arguments/discussions ( although as we can see from this site, it seems more arguments).
    Pretty much all games are now streamed either legally or illegally and more and more fans will take the opportunity to watch via the internet – does that make them a lesser fan than someone who still goes to SJP on matchday or follows the team to away games – it’s definitely a different experience but I wouldn’t call Jib a lesser fan because he watches most games on the internet – times have changed and for football it’s a good thing as more and more people become involved and have access to the internet / Sky than can go to games – it obviously follows that more and more people will join the debate. It also means that toon fans can watch other teams such as Liverpool / Leicester / /Wolves playing better football than us and the board stating ‘ambition’ – it’s natural that all fans expect hope as a minimum whether you attend or watch on Sky or the internet via legal streams or even illegal – they are equal as fans in my book and I travel the country following toon whenever possible but clearly don’t expect others too

• Bills Son Is Back

Dec 12, 2019 at 4:01 PM

Rotunda.

Load of bollix you post.

And you question my intelligence??

A right unfunny comedian you are.