web analytics

Bruce Insists Striker Is Still Part Of His Plans

There was an interesting passage as part of Newcastle’s released images from Thursday’s training session. It mentioned that Dwight Gayle was pushing for a start against Crystal Palace, the club from which he joined Newcastle in 2016.

Dwight Gayle is pushing for a start against his former club, but Jamaal Lascelles, Matt Ritchie, and Allan Saint-Maximin will definitely miss out due to injury.

Dwight has not started for Newcastle since the final match of the 2018 season, which we defeated Chelsea 3-0 at St James Park. That match was also the last game for Dwight to score in while donning a Newcastle shirt.

He was our number 9 then but a year and a half on, he’s a peripheral figure at this club. He’s played just 62 minutes in a handful of substitute appearances this term.

He had a golden chance to get back on track last week against Burnley but pushed a Joelinton cross wide. That chance could have made all the difference for the 29-year-old.

Steve Bruce was asked during his press conference if he still thinks Gayle is an important player for this team. This was Bruce’s response:

“I’ve had many conversations about Dwight. I’m sure the one thing he’ll want is a chance. So far, he’s only come on as a sub a couple of times. Of course, a lot of that was due to injury.

“I’ve said many times he’s an important part. If we’re gonna go forward, we’re gonna need three or four strikers.

“I don’t know how many times I’ve said it about Dwight Gayle, but I’ve always, always thought highly of him. I think I’ve tried to buy him three times. I could never quite afford him.

“I hope he stays. I honestly hope that he will get his chance sooner rather than later. When he gets it, I hope he takes it.”

Maybe Bruce will shock us and give Gayle a start tomorrow but we just don’t see it happening. Even though Bruce insists that he hopes Gayle will stay. His stance seems to have softened a bit.

It’s likely to be Andy Carroll up front tomorrow with Miguel Almiron on the right and either Christian Atsu or Joelinton on the left. Gayle is still waiting to get more opportunities. If he gets one tomorrow, he needs to take it.

What Will Be The Result In Saturday's Match Against Crystal Palace?

• Win (55%, 655 )
  • Draw (24%, 284 )
  • Loss (22%, 262 )

Total Voters: 1,201

Loading ... Loading ...

• Jib

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:38 PM

From previous
    I like the sound of Jarrod Bowen he seems a strong-willed
    thoughtful young man
    Cardiff City (where he had been as an apprentice) tried to
    get him when the Emiliano Sala tragedy occurred but he
    refused the transfer as he felt it wasn’t right.
    Bruce gave him his first chance of top class footy and if they
    had a good relationship I can see it happening in June

• Jib

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:42 PM

Three or four strikers ?
    Defo thinking of 4 – 4 – 2

• Assassins Inc

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:53 PM

Give him a start, give him 90, let’s see if he can produce, it’s simple really, go get that goal Gayle and don’t Fail.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:56 PM

Need 3pts against Palace. 25 at the halfway stage and likely at least 9pts above the drop zone.

We then need to use this opportunity 2nd half of the season to work on a system with 4 at the back.

A front 4 of –

_Bowen________ASM_______Almiron
    ______________Morelos

Play the high press and they would cause havoc.

• toon22

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:57 PM

Until Jabba is gone we won’t ever compete or build a team
    He’s just not interested in what the fans want

• Hail Wor Ashley

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:58 PM

Oh and this weekend might be the tie to start with 4 at the back – our last performance indicated we may need a change in formation without the two flyers on the pitch.

• geordietom

Dec 20, 2019 at 2:12 PM

Mikel Arteta appointed new Arsenal head coach

• Ketsbaia9

Dec 20, 2019 at 2:16 PM

Bowen, Morelos and Ibrahima Sissoko in January would give us a chance of getting into Europe.

Bowen – £17m
    Morelos – £24m
    Ibrahima Sissoko – £10.5m

Total = £51.5m

Got to get these signed up. Sell the waste (i.e. Hayden, Dummett, Elliot, Krafth etc)

• Ketsbaia9

Dec 20, 2019 at 2:22 PM

I think Arsenal could get relegated this season. Bad appointment. No experience. Shouldn’t have sacked Wenger

• Ketsbaia9

Dec 20, 2019 at 2:24 PM

Dubravka

Yedlin Fernandez/Schar Lejuene Willems

Sissoko

Bowen Shelvey Almiron Saint-Maximin

Morelos

• Scythe For Bruce

Dec 20, 2019 at 2:47 PM

Bowen may very well be friendly with Bruce, but the Hull owner most certainly isn’t. And considering he’s the one who ultimately decides who he does business with then I think that puts us at a major disadvantage compared to rival teams competing for Bowen’s signature.

I’d absolutely love to see the lad playing for us though. I think he’s got what it takes to step up to the next level.

• Jib

Dec 20, 2019 at 2:53 PM

Scythe For Bruce
    Slowly helps comprehension
    B o w e n is o u t of c o n t r a c t (f r e e a g e n t) in J u n e

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 20, 2019 at 3:12 PM

hail,
    i think we will see plan B, only when plan A completely unravels. at the moment we are scraping points and bruce wont want to change it.

if Bowen is smart then as a goalscorer you choose a team that will create chances for you. otherwise you risk ruining your reputation and confidence and possibly career as joelinton may have done.

• Ketsbaia9

Dec 20, 2019 at 3:38 PM

I honestly think Bowen is the next Gareth Bale. He’d be worth £200m in a years time. Very direct and can score goals. Can play as a striker too. No brainer to sign him. Just pay the £20m straight up. Probs the most exciting player in english football. Fast and direct. That’s what we need.

• Munster Mag

Dec 20, 2019 at 3:46 PM

Kets I have only seen a little of him. Is he really that good?