web analytics

‘There’s A Good Player In There’ – Bruce Stresses Patience When ‘Buying From Abroad’

After talking about the boost Miguel Almiron’s goal had on everyone during his press conference, Steve Bruce was asked about Joelinton and if it could inspire him to push on.

This is what Bruce said about his Brazilian striker:

“I hope so. He’s come in as the big signing and the number 9 shirt of Newcastle. At the minute, he’s just a little bit short of confidence.

“He just has to stay with it. We know there’s a good player in there. It’s just taking him a little bit of time. But I’m convinced he’ll be ok.”

While Joelinton got his goal early in the third match at Tottenham, he’s struggled to get many chances since. That’s in part due to Newcastle not creating much for the 23-year-old. However, he’s also not doing enough to get into positions to get shots on goal.

It’s something that has to be a worry for the club. The striker is by far our record signing but thus far not looked the part in a Newcastle shirt.

But Bruce is right that there is a player in there. You can see that he has quality but is suffering from a lack of confidence. He’s also learning to be a number 9 in a new league. So it’s going to take time.

Having Andy Carroll back starting games can help take some of the pressure off Big Joe. It could also give him some more time to adjust to the Premier League.

This is what Bruce said about the trio of Miguel Almiron, Allan Saint-Maximin, and Joelinton:

“I’ve always said when you’re buying from abroad, then they always need time. There’s very, very few that come straight into the Premier League and hit the ground running.

“You have to give them that little time and patience, which we all don’t get anymore, but it’ll pay off eventually.”

While we are almost through half the Premier League season already, there’s still time for Joelinton. Hopefully, Bruce can eventually bring the best out of the young striker.

What Will Be The Result At Manchester United On Thursday?

• Win (34%, 729 )
  • Loss (34%, 720 )
  • Draw (32%, 667 )

Total Voters: 2,116

Loading ... Loading ...

• toon22

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:16 PM

Sadly Joe just inst a striker

repost

Jane

In the last 13 years we have fallen so far as a club we are now being asked to believe survival is an achievement
    Its unreal how far we have fallen

Theres ya downward slope if you didnt already know

• jane

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:21 PM

whatever 🙂

• catchy in norway

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:24 PM

Maybe your right, big Joe isn’t a striker, but neither was JD thomasson, excellent before he came to us, crap whilst he was with us, excellent when he moved on. And why was this? Someone decided that he should be a CF and not an attacking MF player.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:29 PM

83,
    What you are calling luck, and then also the Bale money, are down to very good recruitment practices and getting people who excel at their jobs into key positions.

Yeah, a lot of clubs would like to be Spurs. But Spurs is a great comparison for us, as they were only slightly ahead of us on the pitch when Ashley took over, but had lower commercial revenue (and I think revenue generally).

We have grown so far apart because one was well run, the other wasn’t. Not because of any huge injections of cash by owners.

• catchy in norway

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:30 PM

Scott

Catchy
    Possession (as you banged on & on about as a measuring stick) is down on last year

Completed Passes that you also banged on about also down on this time last year

Shots on target also down

Yet you claim football is better under Bruce???

ALL your own yardsticks for good football are worse than last season yet our football is better???

Go figure!

You bring up an excellent point, not only is Bruce getting more of Rafas team, but also the last 2 seasons the new teams played us off the park.

And like i keep saying, Bruce is not a good manager, people on here know he is not a good manager, yet people still think Rafa did better than Bruce is doing now.

Season for season,, Pardew got more points per game than RAFa. People are in love with the name, and Rafas history.

• toon22

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:32 PM

Just like his tat shops

Things wont improve till Jabba is gone

• martoon

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:32 PM

In the game on Saturday there were a couple of times when Carroll and Joelinton were flicking the ball on for each other but they were too far apart. On other occasions when running in the box they were both going to the same post instead of one to the far post and one to the near but hopefully if they continue to play together these things and their partnership will improve!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:35 PM

83,
    Also, who has given up? If there are some on here, you can probably count them on one hand.

People are doing what they think is best for the future of the club – be it going to matches, or staying away from the ground. There isn’t a right or wrong, it is what people believe is best.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:36 PM

Martoon,
    There was also the time where they ran into each other when going to control the ball. As a partnership, it needs a lot of work!

• Assassins Inc

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:38 PM

Deli Ali one of the things spurs did and we didn’t, Salah one of the things Liverpool did and we didn’t, yes he went to Chelsea first, Modric another Spurs what they did and we didn’t, Sammy Hyypia, what Liverpool did and we didn’t.

We had these players bang to rights, they were looked at by people that understood football but sadly we have an owner who didn’t agree as he knows best, it’s a shame I only named four players but until this Moran has gone we are stuck with 40 Million gambles that he is praying will come good at some point.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:41 PM

I have a bit of faith in Joelinton. He’s young, learning, has ability and the size and athleticism to succeed, and the club will stick with him, so he has time. I’d love it if we had still had Rondon and Perez on the books too. But I’m not disappointed we signed Joelinton, and I agree, he can work well alongside Andy Carroll once they develop a better understanding.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:43 PM

Assassins,
    We were also recommended and had the opportunity to sign Aaron Ramsey for £700,000 a year before he went to Arsenal…..

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:49 PM

At the same time, Dele Alli had no interest in moving North, and wanted to stay near the people he classes as parents/family. He was never an option for us.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:50 PM

And on that note, I will bid you all goodnight.

• catchy in norway

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:52 PM

The only problem with big Joe is, he doesn’t have enough support, so everything is rushed. He needs help, and big Andy could be a great help to him and the other players around him.

Shearer had no legs, SBR seen that and put young fast legs around him, AC needs to be in the team with ASM, big Joe, Miggy, when ever possible then I believe we will see the best of all 3 next to big Andy

• NY Mag

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:59 PM

Martoon,

That’s an interesting observation re: Carroll and Joelinton……I’m assuming that once st max is fit, they won’t be playing together anymore.

• TomaKaThor

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:00 AM

Dw Joe when you eventually get a few goals watch all the clueless sheep fans saying you should be playing for Brazil….

The same ones who where all calling Shelvey a waste of space not long ago and now are saying we need him… Yeah them same fans who where saying Longstaff for England and we can’t sell him to now calling him crap and we should sell him

Thickle Thickle Newcastle fans

• Nicky the ball tosser

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:03 AM

I put forward this 11, but it’s a worry defensively, so maybe Hayden for Shelvey, which would be hard on him, but perhaps necessary.

…………..Dubravka.
    …..Scharr..Fede..Lejeune.
    Manq……..Shelvey……..Willems.
    ……..St Max…………Almiron..
    ……………….Joel..
    …………………..Carroll.

• Assassins Inc

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:04 AM

Lilo, he actually went to Spurs due to and of course once again, due to dip shits running the club, he actually went to Spurs because they offered him more wages.
    Here’s two more players we let slip away due to the fee, Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who we know eventually signed for Arsenal and is now speculated at 125 Million to China, yes sadly dip shits that run our club.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:13 AM

toon22

Sorry I had to return to real life for a while, now I’m back I had merely intended to follow your example and mindlessly repeat the same comments over and over.

But then it struck me what you are actually up and I must admit it is very cunning.

As someone who understands real magic and how the forces in the universal energy fields work I can see how your constant repetition reinforces the negative aspects of the (lets call it the force, something we all understand from the SW films) The Force.

To constantly say ‘He’s not going to sell’ or ‘He has no intention of selling’ or many of your other mantra’s you are fulfilling a task I assume has been giving to you by your master (lets for arguments sake call him this) the Dark Lord.

This foul pool of dark energy is amassing in the very sensitive Universal energy and creating a situation where it becomes a fixed logjam. Even if there was a genuine buyout attempt made this dark energy would intervene to spoil the sale.

People who in the past were mockingly called ITKs almost certainly had real inside information but your spell casting also turned that sour causing it not to happen!

We will probably find that eventually find that your PR accusations will also come to fruition although the bloggers on the light side of The Force are managing to hold back this evil plan created by the Dark Lord (your master)

There is hope for you however if you were to renounce the Dark Lord and his minions plan and creating new Mantra’s such as ‘He has every intention of selling’ or ‘He only has the good of the club and it’s supporters in his heart’. Then we may yet see the golden dawn we all want to see at St James Park.

I suspect that you will continue on the dark path and come out with yet another of your trite, meaningless comments and ignore my good advice proving to all you do not really love or support the club you claim to.

The ball as they say is in your court.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:13 AM

Assasins,
    Spurs paid the 5 MK wanted, but he was never moving North. The club would have matched what Spurs MK Dons, and could have comfortably offered him the same in wages. We didn’t becaise he and his agent had already made it fairly clear he wouldn’t move North. He had a pretty rough childhood, and when he joined MK he lived with a fellow youth players family. He didn’t want to move far from that safety net. We probably could have offered more in wages and he still would have stayed down there.

Lacazette and PEA, yeah, the club didn’t want to pay the cash, and their profit calculator didn’t think the gamble on returns was obvious enough to justify the cost.

We have let plenty slip through the net. Dele Alli isn’t one. I used to complain about us not putting the cash forward and getting it done. But I have since learned otherwise, from his end I’ll add, rather than rumours or info from NUFC.

• toon22

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:17 AM

Essex

Nobody cares

• NY Mag

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:17 AM

Nicky,

That’s one way to fit all them all in……I suppose we would never know if it’ll work unless it’s tried. Maybe once (if) we’re safe then different formations can be experimented with.

• NY Mag

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:21 AM

Bill,

Truly wise, you are 😀

• carltoon

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:21 AM

NYmag is it safe to post ? I would like to wish you and your family a fantastic Christmas, and a prosperous New Year. That goes to Ed and his lovely family. Also to all who post on the blog. Here’s hoping for a new owner and a better future for our great club.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:23 AM

On a Question of Sport tonight they showed a selection of AC goals, all of them fantastic and the funny thing was that most of them were shots rather than headers. He really does pack a shot or two in his boots and is far from being one dimensional an accusation sometimes made on the blog, I reckon we are still to see the best of him as the season progresses.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:25 AM

toon2

Aah as predicted I did. 🙂

• carltoon

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:27 AM

Bill you missed all the fun last night. Although running around naked might have been a better option. It was hell on here. Ha ha .

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:27 AM

NY Mag

Indeed, but the term stony ground comes to mind! 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:28 AM

Carltoon

Yule blessing to you and I hope you sniff out a nice pressy from your hubby! 🙂

• NY Mag

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:28 AM

Carltoon,

It’s after midnight, so I think it’s safe 🙂

Thank you very,very much – and the same to you and your family.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:28 AM

For Ramsey, I wrote several reports on him and I know my boss was pushing Newcastle to get him. Allardyce had regularly worked with him, and good reccomendatioms mean more business for an independent scouting company.

He was playing as a right winger then, and the club felt he wasn’t worth the £700,000 (plus a few add ons).

• The Wife

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:28 AM

Munster Mag

This is a seriously late reply, I know, and I apologize for that. “Trump” is the word that held up your comment earlier today. The political filters are still in effect and if certain words are used, no matter the context, the post gets flagged. I have moved your comment through and it now shows up on the blog.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:29 AM

Now I am off….. Night all.

• NY Mag

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:30 AM

Bill,

Aye….you may have to suffer the repercussions for a long while 🙂

• NY Mag

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:31 AM

LG,

Goodnight, I had a few questions for you (I always appreciate your insight)….but they’ll keep for another day.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:35 AM

Carltoon

I did spend (or waste) considerable time catching up (unfortunately) and suspect with the advent of the school holidays that more on line time and resources have been given to the toon22 bot experiment, hence the massive increase in irrelevant trite comments by the collective.

I thinks it’s probably wise to just let the children have their fun and who knows one day they might even contribute something sensible to the world or even the blog!

• carltoon

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:38 AM

Thanks Bill. Re Andy Carroll, was always a good footballer, and scored some spectacular goals. I’m sure I’ll get perfume for Xmas. I’ve got him a Mike to practice his singing and guitar playing. Unfortunately he took the parcel in when it arrived..

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:40 AM

NY,
    I am still up and about, so happy to answer. Saying I am off is more like I will read posts, but probably should do something more productive while I am still up. I rarely do the more productive thing though….

In this instance, I had planned on watching JJ Macias, as a couple of people have said he is very good, and then someone else said he was a wonderkid on football manager. My football academy is on Football manager as well, if anyone is interested….

• carltoon

Dec 24, 2019 at 12:40 AM

He said he didn’t look at the parcel.!!! Anyway if I hear him sing You Look Wonderful Tonight. I’ll hit him over the head with it.