web analytics

Michael Owen Cites Redemption In Boxing Day Prediction

Talking to BetVictor, Michael Owen has made his weekly predictions for the Premier League.

The former Magpie and Red Devil has selected Manchester United for a 2-1 win on Boxing day over Newcastle. This was his prediction in full.

United need to bounce back after a horror show at Vicarage Road although the game did signal the return of Paul Pogba who came off the bench and looked fit and sharp on his return from injury.

I expect the French international to start against a Newcastle side who are unbeaten in eight at home but who continue to struggle to create opportunities on the road. Steve Bruce has done an excellent job in getting his side into the top half of the table at Christmas and they will leapfrog Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side with a win at Old Trafford.

We didn’t expect that Michael Owen would pick Newcastle to win at Old Trafford. Last weekend, he had us down for a 1-1 draw against Crystal Palace. He was incorrect in the result, but was accurate that both sides would struggle for goals.

This time he has Man U eeking out a close victory after their poor display at Watford last weekend. We also expect that Paul Pogba will get his first start since September.

While our home form is excellent, our recent away form has been a bit inconsistent. Though it’s been far from dire. We have won two and lost two in our last four while we’ve scored five and conceded five.

Our struggle to create opportunities, as Michael puts it, is not limited to just away matches. It’s something that we are likely to have to contend for the rest of the season.

Most pundits seem to think we’ll lose at Old Trafford. That seems to be the safe pick to make.

However, we’ve not been very impressed with Manchester United this season. While they have the quality to take all three points, we think Newcastle will have the determination to do the same.

• IrishRob

Dec 26, 2019 at 1:53 AM

As Elton John once said: The bisch is back!

• IrishRob

Dec 26, 2019 at 1:55 AM

Happy Christmas Ed, hope, happy Christmas everyone even BallSac.

• Munster Mag

Dec 26, 2019 at 2:22 AM

But Michael Owen is a cun*. Does this not count for anything? 🙂

• lesh

Dec 26, 2019 at 2:51 AM

Two points

Neil’s suggesting that as we’re sitting mid-table at the minute, incoming transfers are unlikely – does that thought of thinking make him a monster…… or a realist?

• lesh

Dec 26, 2019 at 3:00 AM

Martoon

It’s likely that it’s you’ that’s barking up the wrong tree because Jib freely admits his job is online so he obviously knows all the tricks.

Yer man’s claimed to have worked in var nigh every job under the sun …..!

• lesh

Dec 26, 2019 at 3:02 AM

@2

Correction

…… does that thought of thinking make him [Neil] doomster … or a realist?

Doomsters aren’t monsters.

• c-dog

Dec 26, 2019 at 7:37 AM

I honestly think we’ll win today. Bruce has really elevated this bunch to a higher level and when Man U have to control a game against supposed “lesser” opposition they struggle most.

1-2
    Shelvey to score

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 26, 2019 at 7:52 AM

i liked the look of that team neil posted yesterday. if we play that team we have a chance. the two longstaff, gayle and almiron could provide support for joelinton. i hope he scores. although i think man utd getting beat by watford will work against us. id be happy with a draw and a point closer to safety.

• The next Mike Williamson

Dec 26, 2019 at 7:55 AM

being away from man utd i even wont mind if we park the bus. a points a point at old trafford.

• Tyran21

Dec 26, 2019 at 8:05 AM

Sadly, I think this game’s result is based on how many mistakes Man utd defense makes. Newcastle can only hit them on counter attacks and set pieces. I wish Newcastle can press their defense a bit for errors, disrupt their plays though. Might get some result that way, if not I doubt newcastle defense can hold for the full 90mins

• lochinvar

Dec 26, 2019 at 8:08 AM

Munster#11 (earlier)

Ffs my wife is watching the queen’s speech

Ffs my wife is giving the queen’s speech

Can anyone give me a lift to the match ?
    I’m not driving these days

• Mad Frog Boom 22

Dec 26, 2019 at 8:41 AM

Manu 0 – 22 Toon

• Mindshaft

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:17 AM

Morning all , hope everyone had a good Xmas ..

Think we can win today, manure looked terrible at Watford and need lots of open space for rashford / James / martial to run into , obviously with our packed defence we should be able to deny them space – going for a 0-2 win

• Jib

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:24 AM

The big worry for me is Pogba’s return from injury
    He seems to play better for OGS than previous
    Man U managers

• c-dog

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:24 AM

Tyran21

With the great Harry Manure and Aaron Wan Pissaka how could they possibly be prone to error. 130 million pounds worth of Great British talent.

• martoon

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:32 AM

Ah football talk – thank goodness! I’m normally quite optimistic but it’s difficult to see us getting anything from this especially now Pogba is back. I’d definitely take a draw now.

• c-dog

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:35 AM

Pogba can be pure poison in that dressing room
    His toxicity levels match those found at Chernobyl in the latter half of 86

• JohnJ

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:46 AM

Cannot say I admire Pogba as a person but would have preferred his re-appearance for Man U after the new year.

A point would be excellent but I’d be over the moon with three!

• kennyg33

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:48 AM

Just a thought reflecting on Ed’s last post; the last time, many years ago now under Parsnip, we were having a good..ish season Ashley surprised us all and brought in Cisse in January and we pushed on and finished 5th.
    There’s always the chance someone has a brain in the boardroom and makes the same move this January.
    Our lass gets mad at me for being the forever optimist but without a glimmer of optimism how can any of us ever turn up every week to watch in hope – just a thought. It would make a great Christmas pressie off the fat man.

• Munster Mag

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:49 AM

Pogba’s running power should only be an issue if we don’t sit deep, which I’m sure we will. Longstaff could do with a big game. St max is a disaster for us but at least it stops him touting his skills in front of them and making them bid for him in the summer. I like Bruce but until we get more attacking players I never feel confident that we can win. 2-1 to the prawn brigade 🙁

• kennyg33

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:50 AM

Ps – I fancy us for a 2:1 win today – go 2 up in first hour then sit back and cling on conceding in the last 5 mins

• Jib

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:56 AM

kenny33 an optimist like me

I like the cut of your jib
    (see what I did there ?)

• Jib

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:58 AM

Don’t forget all of today’s matches are on Amazon prime

• Jib

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:15 AM

Apparently Lilo ended up booking a flight London to Mancunia – paying top dollar
    Greater love for his footy team hath no man
    I hope the lads do it for Lilongwe Geordie.

• Jib

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:23 AM

The last time NUFC did the double over Man U was 1931 !!!!!!

• Jib

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:28 AM

For all the hype about tea-time’s game , Bruce will see
    Everton at SJP on Saturday afternoon as more winnable
    so folk shouldn’t be surprised if there are a few selection
    surprises today.

• Moonraker15

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:30 AM

Glad I enrolled with Amazon prime, whilst negotiating a 30% reduction in my Sky monthly subs. Anyone thinking their Sky sports Bill is too high, now is the time to ask them for a reduction, as matches being shown elsewhere nowadays!
    Prime have loads of games including ours today!
    My forecast 2-2

• Moonraker15

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:33 AM

Jib
    Everton will be buoyed by the new manager plus big Duncan!
    I think that’s a very difficult fixture for us now!

• Munster Mag

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:38 AM

Go Lilongwe!

• fairscup

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:43 AM

I will second that (Jib @ 22) and for everyone who makes the trip today.

• Just a fan

Dec 26, 2019 at 11:09 AM

Someone gave me Shay giivens book.Any given saturday.
    I thought he was overated.no better than Harper.
    Plus when he got dropped he cried.well I’m off to Celtic if you don’t pick me.
    So I wonder if I will change my opinion after reading it.

• count

Dec 26, 2019 at 11:21 AM

If you pay for sky sports, you are endorsing Ashley as much as people who attend games.

• Lindisfarne

Dec 26, 2019 at 12:03 PM

Got to play Almiron in behind the striker again.
    Not sure away from home Bruce will play two in front of him and could play three central midfielders.
    Shelvey or Hayden in the holding role, whoever he picks he will have half an eye on Saturdays game.