This was the lineup from the Boxing Day loss to Manchester United, including the three substitutions
Here are our individual player ratings for the match.
Martin Dubravka – 4
- Martin made a few decent saves but it was an off day for the 30-year-old. We always praise him for making the saves to keep us in the game. Today his failure to keep out Anthony Martial’s shot on the first goal really hurt the team. He also could have done better on the fourth goal where he seemed to just drop in front of Martial who easily chipped it over him.
Javier Manquillo – 5
- Javier Manquillo was decent at Old Trafford. He got forward a couple of times but nothing came of it. While he didn’t make any mistakes, he struggled to contain Manchester United’s attackers. Javier was again one of our better players, but well below the standard he set over the previous five games.
Fabian Schar – 3
- The 28-year-old hasn’t been himself since returning from his knee injury. He had his worst half in a Newcastle shirt in the first half today. He played a lackadaisical pass straight to Mason Greenwood, who scored a thunderblast. Schar was then too easily beaten by Marcus Rashford from an Aaron Wan-Bissaka cross for their third. He improved a bit in the second half but was pulled late for Emil Krafth. We have to ask the question, is he on his way out? There’s been no talk of a new contract for him even though he’s got just 18-months left on his current deal.
Fede Fernandez – 5
- Fede was the captain with both Jonjo Shelvey and Andy Carroll on the bench. He failed to provide the leadership necessary once the cracks started to show. It was not his best performance as he struggled with the Man United attack. Though the whole backline was left exposed by the midfield.
Florian Lejeune – 6
- Lejeune was by far our best defender but that’s not saying much. His distribution was mixed though we often lacked outlets. Florian did well to help Jetro Willems, who struggled with Wan-Bissaka today. We’re not sure he can go against Everton as that would be three starts in a week after not featuring for over 8 months.
Jetro Willems – 5
- Willems just didn’t have it. He was probably rushed back as Bruce had no other options. Left for dead a couple of times by Wan-Bissaka, including on the third goal. Didn’t provide much going forward after the opening 20 minutes.
Sean Longstaff – 3
- Not sure what to say about Sean. We don’t want to be too harsh on the local lad, but this performance was just poor. Sean didn’t do enough in the midfield, where we were overrun. He also gifted Martial his second goal, and their fourth, with a weak back pass just five minutes into the second half. That killed any chance of a comeback. Sean’s just not the same player as last year.
Matty Longstaff – 6
- Matty took his goal so well, and for a couple of minutes, we thought he could be the hero once again. However, he was part of a midfield that was overrun by Manchester United. Matty made some good tackles but was often caught out of position. However, he’s young and has a knack for the dramatic. This will be an invaluable learning experience for the youngster.
Miguel Almiron – 5
- Miguel ran around but produced absolutely nothing. He was pulled with about thirty minutes left, but that was likely to save him for Saturday. Had one shot that sailed well into the stands. He came down a bit from last week’s dramatics but should be ready to go on Saturday.
Joelinton – 6
- Joelinton did a decent job today, especially early on. He seemed to like having a quick runner alongside him. While he and Gayle got in each other’s way a couple of times, Joelinton worked a great one-two with Dwight, who couldn’t get his shot on target. The Brazilian did brilliantly to hold the ball and find Matty Longstaff on the goal. However, Joelinton still got no service and did very little in the second half but the game was gone by then.
Dwight Gayle – 3
- Dwight Gayle is on the pitch to score goals. He offers little else. For the second time in two weeks, Joelinton’s created a clear chance for Gayle, who has failed to even force the keeper into a save. It’s time for Muto to get in the squad for Gayle who should be cashed in on next month.
Christian Atsu – 5
- Atsu came on for Gayle in the 59th minute but the game was well and truly done. He did his best in a situation where he could do little else.
DeAndre Yedlin – 5
- Yedlin came on in the 63rd minute to give Almiron a rest. Similarly to Atsu, he did his best but the game was gone.
Emil Krafth – n/a
- Krath came on for Schar late. Not enough time on the pitch to get a rating.
Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 4-1 Defeat At Old Trafford?
- Matty Longstaff (33%, 274 )
- Joelinton (31%, 257 )
- Miguel Almiron (11%, 90 )
- Florian Lejeune (9%, 73 )
- Javier Manquillo (5%, 41 )
- Martin Dubravka (3%, 27 )
- Federico Fernandez (2%, 17 )
- DeAndre Yedlin (2%, 13 )
- Jetro Willems (1%, 12 )
- Sean Longstaff (1%, 12 )
- Dwight Gayle (1%, 10 )
- Fabian Schar (1%, 8 )
- Christian Atsu (0%, 4 )
Total Voters: 838