Allan Saint-Maximin hurt his hamstring in the closing minutes of the 2-1 win over Southampton on December 8th. The prognosis was that Allan would be out 4-6 weeks with the injury.
He’s so far missed five Premier League games, four of which Newcastle have lost. So getting the 22-year-old back as soon as possible will be a massive boost to Newcastle United.
It seems like he is progressing as expected with his rehabilitation. Allan will take part in training this week and is now in contention to make the Wolves game next weekend if all goes well.
This is what Steve Bruce told the Chronicle about the injury situation leading to the trip to Molineux:
“Saint-Maximin, Clark, Dummett, Ritchie and Lascelles all could be in contention at Wolves.
“What a good five that would be to welcome back!”
This is excellent news. Bruce said in the press conference before the Rochdale match that Clark, Dummett, Ritchie, and Lascelles could be back for Wolves. However, having Allan back in contention as well is a welcomed surprise.
We have just not been the same without the Frenchman in the team, so his return could be vital to resurrecting our season. However, Bruce must still proceed cautiously with Saint-Maxmin.
This is the second time he’s missed over a month with a hamstring injury this season. We would expect Allan to be slowly worked back into the team with some subsitute appearances once he’s declared fit. With a little luck that will be on Saturday at Wolves.