web analytics

How Will Newcastle Fare At Wolves On Saturday?

Both Newcastle and Wolves will be trying to stop losing runs in the league on Saturday at Molineux. Wolves have lost their last two Premier League matches, away to both Liverpool and Watford. They also only managed a draw in the FA Cup this past weekend, but that was against Manchester United.

Newcastle are winless in the last three in the league and failed to get the job done at Rochdale in a 1-1 draw. We now sit just five points above 18th place Bournemouth in the table but are only five points from Wolves, who are in seventh.

We’ve received a massive fitness boost this week with six injured players involved in full training in Miguel Almiron, Ciaran Clark, Andy Carroll, Paul Dummett, Dwight Gayle, and Jetro Willems.

While it looks like this match may be too soon for Jamaal Lascelles and Allan Saint-Maximin, they are making progress. Saint-Maximin has been running while Lascelles is in Dubai as he gets closer to making his return.

Steve Bruce should be able to select a strong team with the six players returning as well as having Matt Ritchie back. However, the next week is going to another tough one with three matches, including the FA Cup replay on Tuesday and at home against Chelsea on Tuesday.

Hopefully, we’ll see a reaction from the lads on Saturday at Wolves, and they can pick up a result. Wolves are an excellent side who picked up a point at St James Park earlier this season. Maybe we can do at least the same at Molineux.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Wolves On Saturday?

• Loss (66%, 1,530 )
  • Win (17%, 405 )
  • Draw (17%, 385 )

Total Voters: 2,320

Loading ... Loading ...

• c-dog

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:06 PM

Surprise win

How at!

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:09 PM

Jeezus, Mary and Joseph, WW… how the devil are you, welcome back, please stay, there are some right to$$ers on here these days!!!

• lesh

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:11 PM

Essex

Let’s not get bogged down into how words are pronounced. In language, other than in what used to be the Beeb’s standards of received pronunciation , there’s no right or wrong way. Accents and dialects vary even in parts of a city or area.

You say potarto and I say potayto……

• TomaKaThor

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:13 PM

Confidence is low, we ain’t getting anything

• Bladey

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:16 PM

JAIL
    only 90% of the blog thinks your a tosser the other 10% think your a right tosser
    ASH IN CARVER AND WISE IN BRUCE OUT

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:17 PM

Jib,
    You can’t be genuinely saying that Rafa was wrong for not giving Toney a shot. How did he get on during his loan spells? 16 in 44 in League 1 is not a patch on Arma in League 1.

Toney may well eventually cut it as average at Prem level, but in a similar vein to Tavernier, it wouldn’t have even beem close if he had stayed here. He wasn’t good enough to play at that stage.

We got a reasonable deal with a hefty sell on if someone takes a gamble. Rafa did the right thing by the club and by the kid, no matter what Toney is saying now.

• Bladey

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:18 PM

A wolves win is my answer unless the Longstaffs play then it will be a big win for wolves
    ASH IN CARVER AND WISE IN BRUCE OUT

• RobLeenio

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:19 PM

SiOliver, you’re missing the point. People say that Bruce is a terrible manager and use the fact he has a poor points per game ratio in the Premier League as evidence. I’m saying that his being in charge of often poor, newly promoted, Championship quality teams in the Premiership is at least a contributory factor in his poor points ratio and that for a balanced view, we should look at how he performed with those teams in their proper context.

As it turns out, he’s 4th top for points per game of all Championship managers who have taken charge of 100+ matches. That’s pretty decent.

I’m also saying we shouldn’t judge him until he’s had the chance to build his own team (if he’ll ever be allowed), maybe in a year from now.

It’s just an opinion and you are, of course, welcome to hold your own. Feel free to tell me why I’m wrong, I recognise I’m swimming against the tide in many respects.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:20 PM

Toney could potentially have been a desperation back up if he had stayed. I imagine Rafa knew this, but also realised that the kid could forge a good career at a lower level. Rather tham Toney complaining he didn’t get a chance, he should be thanking Rafa for allowing him to move and develop his career. Plenty of youths have seen prospects nosedive by clubs just holding on, and iggnoring the players best interests.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:22 PM

Rob,
    I’d say you shouldn’t judge a manager by their history alone. Yeah, it can be an indicator, and is obviously a point of reference when looking to employ a manager, but just like buying players, there is far more to it.

Look at how Eddie Howe did in his brief sojourn away from Bournemouth.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:24 PM

Lilongwe,
    I’m not sure where you have got the idea from that I said Bruce stated that he was here to fight relegation battles but I’ll ask you this as well. If Bruce finishes in the bottom six three seasons in a row and doesn’t get further than the QF of a cup, do you think he’s more likely to get sacked/contract expire or be given another three years extension.

• Jib

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:27 PM

Lilongwe Geordie

“Jib,
    You can’t be genuinely saying that Rafa was wrong for not giving Toney a shot.”

Lilo you are doing a “Jail”

I didn’t genuinely say anything frcrissakes – I posted a link to discuss

• RobLeenio

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:29 PM

Lilo, agreed. It’ll be interesting to see how Moyes gets on back at Everton, in that context.

• lochinvar

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:30 PM

Now that’s what I call a protest
    Everton director of football Marcel Brands addressed a group of angry supporters after the humiliating FA Cup third-round 1-0 loss against an under-strength Liverpool on Saturday

The group of seven fans arrived at the Finch Farm complex, in the Merseyside town of Halewood, on Tuesday.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:34 PM

Jib,
    I know you didn’t, do you agree then with Toney?

Jail,
    You have said that is what Bruce is tasked to do. If we stay up, no, he won’t get sacked, regardless. That doesn’t mean anything about what Bruce wants or aims for.

Of Rafa hadn’t asked for (rumoured) £9million a year to keep us floating above relegation under the same structure, he would have not gone either, be it sacked or on his terms anyway.

• toon kk

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:35 PM

Of course Bruce will fight relegation this season and next and as long as he’s here, same as any manager would the players aren’t good enough, our scouting is poor and MA doesn’t want success.
    Same old!

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:38 PM

Lilo,
    I said we all know that secretly that is what he has been tasked to do and the proof will be in the pudding if he finishes in the bottom six for the next three years and is given another deal.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:40 PM

Jail,
    Both managers are working under the same poor infrastructure. Both are having to work with squads that aren’t balanced. Both are forced to plau a similar defensive (pragmatic based on available players?) setups.

Rafa was sold a line on infrastructure development. Bruce could well have been told we were going to break our previous transfer record once, and given the reluctance to spend, that was a huge change of tack and ambition.

He may well have said but I have never seen them, and then been told they have been thoroughly scouted by Rafa’s choice (? Another potential mistruth that could be told) of head scout.

Both sold lones, both want better, both know the likely reality of what is required.

• Jib

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:44 PM

I think a journo knowing our problems is trying to stir the shit
    and silly Toney has played along

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:48 PM

Jail,
    Rafa would be for doing the same…. Bruce isn’t doing anything Rafa hasn’t. It isn’t the manager at fault. Which is what confuses me. Both managers will want to do the best possible, but they will both realistically know the constraints and limits…

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:48 PM

Lilo,
    I don’t even know what we’re debating anymore.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:51 PM

Lilongwe,
    That was my point, he stated that he didn’t come to fight relegation battles and explained that things had to be done right. If he’d took his pay rise for more of the same then he’d be no different to the other patsies, but we’ll never know that.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:54 PM

Jib……… Toney should be relieved that he’s out of this quagmire. You can’t tell me that he wasn’t aware of Ashley’s lack of ambition when he was here.

• Mindshaft

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:55 PM

Ahh the classic Jib – I only posted a link , his usual standpoint when someone comes back with a reasoned argument

• Mindshaft

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:57 PM

Think everyone is aware that whichever manager we have and whatever their limitations , Ashley and his cronies are the problem… until we get a forward looking owner then nothing will change

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:58 PM

It was a link, it maybe that Jib is getting the sh!te for my comment! 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:59 PM

Jail,
    I never really knew why you were disagreeing. Every manager in the world wants to do their best. I just don’t think it is fair on Bruce to say he is accepting of it. Ashley wants the same he has always done. Every manager will know the reality of working for Ashley, but all will want more. Bruce isn’t different in that from Rafa.

They both know everyone before was hamstrumg, they both believe they can do more. They both, hand on heart, know their job is to stay up.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:01 PM

Lilongwe you didn’t like Rafa, I don’t like Bruce.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:04 PM

I really dislike our away kits. Terrible, and jinxed too, I’m sure of it. We should insist on always playing in the glorious black and white, and when there’s a clash of tops, and we have no choice, we should play in an either all white or all black kit, or better, play effen shirtless, in honor of our most esteemed away following. 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:08 PM

Jail,
    I am sticking up for Bruce, not becaise I believe in him, not because I believe he is or will be better than Rafa, not because I hate Rafa. Purely because they are both in the same place, and I don’t get why people give Bruce so much stick for being in the same position with the same info, as others.

The reason Bruce was employed was because Barnes and Bishop will have predicted the heat will move to Bruce, not Ashley…..

I wanted Nagelsmann when we came back up. Acheivable with ambition, and would give modern football. But factor in Ashley, and this is where we are. Ashley should be the focal point, Bruce is a shield. Rafa knew that and is more intelligent, and had the history to be able to get fans on side.

• Mindshaft

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:09 PM

Think it’s fair to say Bruce has limitations which is why he’s kicked around underwhelming clubs and never managed a top flight club – unfortunately to everyone but toon fans we fall under the Bruce category – he’ll do his best under the circumstances but until Ashley decides to sell he’ll be hampered by underinvestment in the club infrastructure and buying strategy.
    He’s no better or worse than Pards, McLaren and that ilk – he knew what he signed up to so just needs to do the best he can.
    Went for win against wolves …they couldn’t even beat manure for god’s sake 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:12 PM

Jail,
    I didn’t mind Rafa. I knew the constraints. I want better football. I still do. I have criticised Bruce and the play regularly, just as I would with Rafa or any other manager in the world. Rafa actually came out and echoed my comments despite them being rubbished on here.

No vendetta. I hate every footballer and manager ever in the world if honest analysis means I dislike them. Only Pele is that probably true for, and I haven’t even criticised him as a player….

• Mindshaft

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:12 PM

Nicky – that would be class with nufc playing skins with names and numbers painted on backs, shame the f.a wouldn’t allow it although I’m sure some of the players might object too 😉

• SPRINGY

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:21 PM

Right now we are struggling for a striker to score goals…toney was never really tried,and in a similar vein sorensen has never been given a chance,both had good records early on in there careers,sorensen seems to be stalling now so why not give him a 20 mins for a few games…we aren’t scoring so what have we got to lose…toney wasn’t given much time,ya never know,he myt just click and score.

• Assassins Inc

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:36 PM

Fcuk this shite, until Ashley has left the club and we have someone in place that will back the manager financially it doesn’t mater what manager comes to the club. Rafa wanted to make Newcastle great, I think every manager that comes to Newcastle thinks the same way.

Imagine being the manager that made Newcastle a top six side, he would become the legend of all time, Bruce I feel thinks the same way, they all come with this view and I’m sure they all feel they can be the person so convince the owner or at least stick around until he sells.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:37 PM

Yeah, it’s a definite starter. The numbers can be displayed on the shorts, the crest tattooed on their chests, and they can play under the name of their favorite Newcastle player inked on their backs. Players wouldn’t object to that, surely.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:47 PM

The problem with bringing through kids is that they have to be extraordinary to be good enough to break into the team before they are 23 24 or so and have a hundred games or more of lower league football under their belt. You really do have to be very good indeed to play in the EPL for Newcastle. Sorensen isn’t there, Toney wasn’t, I don’t think even Matty should be playing. Sean was good enough, Andy was, but these players are very rare.

• Big Bruce Stars.

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:03 PM

“I didn’t mind Rafa” equates to “I could put up with him” doesn’t it? Where does Bruce exist on that plane of tolerance? Must be a few levels lower than being able to just suffer him. I don’t get why Benitez and Bruce are equated with each other. Vastly different vastly different circumstances they were hired under.

• SPRINGY

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:19 PM

Yeah nicky i do understand its a leap but what have we got to lose at present time…and it may give the first team strikers a fright to up there game!…. joelinton,gayle,carroll would get a shock if sorensen was brought on for them…and tbh could say that about any player in any position,why not give youngins a chance…lets face it sat is percentage wise a loss so if we are getting beat stick them in have a look…u find a gem…. not likely but your trying something new you cant be blamed for not trying everything in your power to find a way to improve things….ano its a hail mary but sean and Matty have came thru and been decent,just need a forward to come thru… unlikely as it is

• SPRINGY