web analytics

Positive Update On Newcastle’s In Demand Striker

Dwight Gayle had his best spell on the pitch this season at Wolves playing up top with Almiron and Joelinton in support on either flank. His movement was outstanding, and he got a deft assist on Miguel Almiron’s goal.

However, Dwight suffered another injury less than 30 minutes in and had to be replaced by Christian Atsu, who had a very poor outing, to say the least.

The Daily Mail are reporting some good news on Gayle’s injury. It’s not as bad as was first feared.

According to the report, Dwight should be back training in a couple of weeks and make his return early next month. That is if he is still a Magpie.

Dwight has been linked most recently with Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, and now West Brom are said to be back in for the 29-year-old.

Reports last week stated that Leeds had been quoted a staggering fee of £20m to bring Gayle in. Newcastle also were driving a hard bargain on any loan deal for Gayle.

Clubs would have to pay a high percentage of his wages as well as a loan fee while agreeing to pay £20m this summer.

However, there is a report in the Telegraph that Newcastle’s demands are not quite so stringent.

The new details are that any club wishing to loan Gayle for the remainder of the season will have to pay all of his wages and then pay £20m only if they are promoted.

Steve Bruce, though, wants to keep Gayle at Newcastle regardless of reinforcements. Here is a quote from the head coach after the Wolves match.

A lot will depend on whether Newcastle can bring in any of their targets this winter. If they can, then there’s a good chance Gayle will want to leave for first-team football.

The good news is that is still an option with his most recent injury problem likely not to keep out for more than a few weeks.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match Against Rochdale?

• Miguel Almiron (40%, 653 )
  • Matt Ritchie (31%, 497 )
  • Matty Longstaff (15%, 246 )
  • Joelinton (5%, 78 )
  • Tom Allan (3%, 55 )
  • Sean Longstaff (1%, 16 )
  • Isaac Hayden (1%, 15 )
  • Christian Atsu (1%, 15 )
  • Jamaal Lascelles (1%, 12 )
  • Karl Darlow (1%, 11 )
  • Emil Krafth (1%, 9 )
  • Florian Lejeune (0%, 7 )
  • Andy Carroll (0%, 7 )
  • Jonjo Shelvey (0%, 4 )

Total Voters: 1,625

Loading ... Loading ...

• Jib

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:12 AM

Lee Ryder
    Date for next FA Cup game vs Oxford, Saturday, 25th January with a 3pm kick

• Mindshaft

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:25 AM

• lesh

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:40 AM

Ah well, nowt like an argument or two to kick off another day on the Blog.

• RobLeenio

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:44 AM

Just got an email from the club advertising exec boxes for the next round vs Oxford. Match kickoff listed at 3pm Saturday 25th.

I thought that the fixtures were subject to amendment still, based on TV scheduling etc?

• lesh

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:49 AM

Copied from The Mag and posted by The Sensible Monk.

‘Mike was in the Directors box which is invitation only. The Platinum club like the rest of the Milburn stand (bar family enclosure) was sold out days ago along with the east stand’

There’s something about the phrasing and tone of that post that reminds me of somebody who posts on here but I’m struggling to work out who it could be.

• Assassins Inc

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:54 AM

Martoon, come on, are you really going to say this. Lol
    Assassins Inc @12 – Only 11 Saint Maximin is one player and up front is Joelinton or New Striker.

Wow, look back if you need to, yes Saint Max is one player, I know this as I am a supporter of the club.

If you actually spent the time looking at what I said instead of trying to smarter than a Mackem you would see one glaring issue with the eleven named on the field, Where’s the goal keeper?

Wait for it, right now you’re saying oh shite, that’s right Marty, Goal Keeper makes 12.

Some one Would like to see:

Manquillo Schar Lejeune Willems =4

M. Longstaff S. Longstaff =2

Lookman Almiron Saint Maximin =3

Joelinton/New Striker =2

So let’s see, 4+2+3+2 = I’ll let you work it out again, hopefully. Now add the bloody goal keeper.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:55 AM

Mikey now knows he has the full support of about 30K fans no matter how much he pulls their pants down. I wonder how long it is before he does a deal with the council so that he can march them all up to a cosy purpose built 30K seater somewhere near the airport.

• RobLeenio

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:01 PM

Assasins Inc, Joelinton/New Striker is presumably an either or, so is only one player.

Martoon is generally pretty accurate with his blogging and admits when he’s made rare mistakes.

• martoon

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:03 PM

Assassins Inc – by there are some angry people this morning. Joelinton/New Striker means Joelinton OR New Striker so that is only 1 player not 2 – get it now?

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:05 PM

Shame you wouldn’t afford me the same RobLeenio when doubting my post earlier.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:07 PM

Assassins creed doesn’t like people disagreeing with him, he goes to the toilet and thinks about you if you do 😮

• Assassins Inc

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:07 PM

Joe/New Striker is not OR, come off it.
    That’s clutching at best.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:11 PM

The 29,000 in the ground weren’t scabs, they’re Ashley’s PR team.

• Assassins Inc

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:12 PM

Jail, I don’t mind debate, everyone else thought I made complete sense with my post, even you didn’t comment after Martoons pitch, so I’m playing the averages here that most feel Joe/Striker means two.
    And Jail, I never think of anyone except you when I take a shite.

• Jib

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:13 PM

Assassins Inc
    Folk often post
    player1/player2
    when they haven’t quite decided who to select

• RobLeenio

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:19 PM

Jail, howay pet, put that lip away and stop being precious.

I’m allowed to question things that are presented as fact and ask for evidence. It’s called not taking things at face value, or making your own mind up, or not being gullible.

As it happens, you did provide evidence after you threw your toys out of the pram, for which I’m grateful.

• Big Bruce Stars.

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:27 PM

Whilst I think that strike options should be better than Gayle (ok stats yes I know) it must be said that if you were only to watch his input in our goal against wolves you’d shell out good cash for a player as quick and intelligent as that 🙂 quick to turn an awkward chest high ball into a push on for Willems, quick to turm and get into the box for the possible return. Quick to refashion another awkwardly passed ball into a perfect layoff for almiron. If it wasn’t for Gayle nobody would have remembered that bit of the game, it would never have happened. Hats off.

• martoon

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:29 PM

Assassins Inc – Of course / means OR otherwise why isn’t there one between every player? Look you tried to be a smart *rse by pointing out a mistake but ended up making a fool of yourself – let’s just move on.

• martoon

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:33 PM

RobLeenio – I forgot to say (with all the arguing) that was crackin’ review you gave of the game last night – really gave Charlie a run for his money 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:33 PM

Assassins,
    I hearted that.

• Big Bruce Stars.

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:34 PM

To be fair a return tie against Rochdale isn’t going to attract either a huge crowd or a regular fan based one.

It’s singular entertainment at best and not the nitty gritty of the league.

• DaveD1000

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:35 PM

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:38 PM

I got the crowd very wrong last night, I was at the Plymouth game ten years ago.

• martoon

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:39 PM

hibbit @21 – Some of the comparisons are slightly unfair – comparing a replay on a wet Tuesday night to weekend ties and some with all Premiership teams but it makes a good tale!

• Assassins Inc

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:40 PM

Martoon / can mean And.
    So it can mean both, so I took it as and, and you took it as or. End of.
    Happy that this was a different debate other than Rafa V Bruce or Mike Ashley or / and supporters being supporters.
    Thanks Jail, alway love hearts from you.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:40 PM

Don’t know how much the tickets actually were but working on an average price of around £20 then Rochdale’s share of the gate money should be about £260,000 which they are probably more than happy with.

• Big Bruce Stars.

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:40 PM

Assassin’s – joelinton / new striker looks pretty much like either / or. I took that as meaning one of the two.

• Big Bruce Stars.

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:41 PM

On / off switch. Can’t be on and off at the same time.

• Big Bruce Stars.

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:42 PM

Do the away cup club still get the old fashioned third of the gate?

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:43 PM

And for the record without taking sides I’ve always taken the forward slash to be an or not an and.

• Munster Mag

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:43 PM

From RobLeenio….Tsunki, you’re a big boy and can look after yourself. Would you like me to wade in on your side? Do you need my protection against the big bad Munsterman?

I had a specific issue with OFD, a poster I usually respect, and told him so.

I’m still not sure why you’re getting involved – this is me asking OFD to not call me and my kids a scab, what has it to do with you?

Rob, you will have noticed that moaners like Tsunki and Jail werent around much last night when the rest of us were trying to keep up with events via the blog, and you were there at the ground.

Now they just want detract from the performance, knock the manager and continue to moan about the club.

Obviously its a free world and its their right to do same, but its painful and a bit laughable for many of us who just want NUFC to win games, would prefer a better owner, but are hugely happy when we just win a game of football, as we have been since we were kids supporting the black and white.

If we had drawn last night and then limped through and two blokes got injured they wud be out moaning about Bruce and preparing his hangmans noose.

Moan moan moan.

What a pair of tools.

Re Rafa, the whole tone of non stop praise of Rafa stopped some time ago , and that was a major swing from the type of shutdown there was on here before, when questions about Benitez’ approach to some games, subs, and purchases just werent entertained, and were shouted down.

Thankfully people like Tsunki and Jail learned to accept a more rational analysis of the previous incumbent, which was still very positive and rightly so, but it took a lot of education for them to see this. Sadly, because SB doesnt have RB’s history, they’ll continue to moan. But they just cant get over his leaving and the circumstances of why he went.

Remember, Tsunki the Sunderland Avatar man wont accept SB until he wins us a trophy!

Charming!

Ignore him Rob, although believe me, an obnoxious noisy self important fool is always hard to ignore.

• Munster Mag

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:44 PM

Essex, afternoon Sir!

• geordie157

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:45 PM

I like Gayle but i would still sell him for 10-15mill and offload Muto as well, use the money to get Bowen.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:45 PM

BBS it’s 45% after 10% is taken from the total as I’ve read it.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:46 PM

Munster

Good day to you, did the gales affect you?

• RobLeenio

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:48 PM

Cheers, martoon, it’s my first game of the season so I just wanted to give my thoughts on the new guys and the young uns. It kinda turned into a match review without me meaning it to.

You know what it’s like when you get carried away.

I’m certainly no replacement for Charlie, whose dedication and knowledge are way in excess of mine. I always appreciate his posts and look forward to reading them after every match.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:51 PM

By the way that was a very rough calculation by me, I’m sure there must be someone who could give us the exact figures and I’m not sure if season ticket holders payments come into the total.