web analytics

Alan Shearer Praises Defender After Newcastle’s Win

Alan Shearer has tweeted the following response after Newcastle nicked all three points against Chelsea this evening.

The lads were knackered as this game was winding to a close but had enough to grab a late winner on an Isaac Hayden header in stoppage time.

This team is full of resiliency, and they just never give up. We were thankful when Newcastle won the late corner as it looked like we had come away with a good point.

However, Allan Saint-Maximin gathered the ball and launched an excellent cross that Isaac Hayden was able to latch onto for the winner.

Alan Shearer has singled out Ciaran Clark for his performance today, but the whole defense put in a performance to keep Chelsea from scoring.

Clark was probably the pick of the bunch as he made some crucial blocks and clearances. Jamaal Lascelles also made a big difference in the middle of the back three.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match In Win Against Chelsea?

• Ciaran Clark (36%, 1,158 )
  • Miguel Almiron (12%, 383 )
  • Martin Dubravka (11%, 360 )
  • Joelinton (10%, 310 )
  • Jamaal Lascelles (9%, 303 )
  • Federico Fernandez (8%, 270 )
  • Isaac Hayden (7%, 219 )
  • A. Saint-Maximin (4%, 123 )
  • Matt Ritchie (2%, 60 )
  • Emil Krafth (1%, 22 )
  • Jonjo Shelvey (0%, 16 )
  • Matty Longstaff (0%, 9 )
  • Jetro Willems (0%, 5 )
  • Sean Longstaff (0%, 2 )

Total Voters: 3,240

Loading ... Loading ...

• Big Bruce Stars.

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:05 PM

Jib – “Where’s all the twisty faces ?
    Yoo hoo
    Tsunki Jail OP lesh MrTuff

where are yoooouuuuu ?”

Jib you’re such a snidey prat – go back and check and as usual I wasn’t predicting a loss, because I usually don’t. (0-0 actually) so i wasnt in the majority loss vote you useless plank. You and your Irish numbnut pal crack on with the lying agenda why don’t you. Boring chuff.

How many times is this rope a dope going to work ha ha all these top teams don’t seem to be learning that we have an uncrackable nut defence they just wear themselves to sleep and get sucker punched every time! Awful stuff to watch of course but valuable points and looking safer by the week. Mind I might step back on predictions because i hoped Hayden wouldn’t play today ha ha oops.

Next match – i hope miggy isn’t playing and he doesn’t score a hat trick see if that works

• Ron Knee

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:08 PM

With James having limped off injured, Chelsea appeared all out of ideas when it came to breaking Newcastle down and they paid for such lack of imagination when Joelinton won that decisive stoppage-time corner, Hayden eluded Kepa Arrizabalaga and Steve Bruce defied a suspect knee and hip to make a celebratory leap almost as high as the scorer’s. Who needs possession? (Louise Taylor)

• droppy in Wallsend

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:09 PM

Lads and Lasses we bloody won!

Can we knock the silly playground squabbles off for an hour or so and just enjoy the result?

Christ on a bike, it’s like there’s a load of spoilt children posting. Give it a rest man!

• toonbrother

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:10 PM

Some people are destined to not get the credit they deserve
    Take Hayden for example
    Imagine running yourself ragged carrying shelvey in central midfield
    Then being asked to play right wing back doing another excellent job
    Then scoring the winning goal
    Only for NUFC fans to turn around and claim Clark deserves Man of the match??? loool
    unreal

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:11 PM

All the defence did well, but I think if we are going to attack more against other teams, now ASM is back, we would benefit from Schaar or the Lejeune of old in for Fernandez to give us that greater ability to counter fast. Their passing ability on the break would be of benefit.

• AncientC

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:12 PM

Apparently Bruce blocked the sale of Clark in the summer. How true that is I don’t know, but I am glad Clark was kept on.

• Reilly

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:14 PM

InjuryMechanisms
    @IMechanisms
    Steve Bruce on Jetro Willems knee injury: “it looks serious”.
    * Clinical tests in dressing room for [suspected] ACL tear typically very accurate

• toon kk

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:16 PM

Great 3 points, I was hoping we’d hold out goalless draw, so a win was a unexpected brilliant victory.
    Bruce picked up on where our problems lie. The players have been Rafa’d and haven’t the quality to dominate games. Just hope Bruce gets the correct backing to slowly transform our quality and style of play.

• c-dog

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:16 PM

Tsunki brush your teeth

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:18 PM

Ancient,
    If that is correct then a very shrewd move by him! I think every fan is pleased he didn’t go right now!

£5million is seeming a bargain for him in todays market. Doesn’t quite make up for Villa robbing us when they bought Hughes for a million, but I am sure there fans would love to have him right now.

• catchy in norway

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:19 PM

catchy in norway

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:18 PM

Lil, I’m not sure if that should be adressed to me, as I never said that, and I’m not sure how you get confused by it,.

I never mentioned us being good defensively, I said I thought we outstanding, and that Chelsea were not good because they just passed it sideways.

I agree that we stifled them though.

I cannot comment on the first half, I didn’t see it, but for me, while 10 of our players rate 8 or above, Krafth is a 3 at very best, and just because he had our shirt on, but its between Clarke and Ritchie for Mom, based on the 45 I watched,.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:20 PM

Ritchie
    Be up for assault booted the corner flag into the crowd hitting this guy in the nuts
    See twitter

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:25 PM

Catchy,
    My point is, that it wasn’t Chelsea being poor and passing sideways. It was our performance that stopped them. On Sky, Redknapp said similar to you in Chelsea playing poorly, Shola jumped in to say that we made them look poor.

2 sides of the same coin, just for me, I’d rather look at how well we did to dstop them, not them just passing sideways and not performing.

Not really disagreeing with you as such, just wording it more positively for our lads! I probably didn’t quite explain it right before.

Agree on Clarke, not so sure on Ritchie. He had a good solid game, and great to have him back. Definitely up there, but I think Clarke and Lascelles pip him overall.

• Sav

Jan 19, 2020 at 1:26 AM

Steve Bruce, after a couple of unsuccessful variations has learned to continue the Newcastle Rope-a-Dope tactic developed and drilled by Rafa. Not exciting to watch but playing the percentages to be successful and the most reliable tactic with a squad of Ashley’s journeymen footballers. Credit to Bruce that he has maintained and even improved the team spirit, trust and strong work ethic begun by Rafa. You could see that in their faces at the end. Good lads and no superstars.The football is really not something to be proud of but the performance is. Rafa was ultimately embarrassed to be sending out his team always playing such pragmatic football and wanted to develop and improve. It is already taking a toll with a lengthening injury list.Time will tell how long Bruce will persevere with the Rope-a-Dope.