web analytics

Bruce May Look To Transfer Market To Replace Injured Magpie

It was a somber sight to see Jetro Willems go down with what looks to be another severe knee injury.

Willems immediately called for the medical team after landing awkwardly while vying for the ball with Chelsea’s Callum Hudson-Odoi.

Steve Bruce’s comments after the game reveal that it looks like Jetro will be sidelined for the foreseeable future. With Paul Dummett also out with his hamstring injury for what could be months, Newcastle will have only Matt Ritchie to play at left wing-back.

Bruce has also indicated that Newcastle are very close on a couple of incomings for this month. One of those could be Inter Milan’s Valentino Lazaro, who Newcastle have reportedly reached a loan agreement over.

However, Bruce may now have to look for cover at the left wing-back after Jetro’s injury today.

Lee Ryder has tweeted the following comments from Bruce on the transfer window.

Newcastle were linked to Standard Liege left-back Nicolas Gavory this morning. So maybe the 24-year-old Frenchman is someone they will consider.

We are also concerned about Jetro’s longterm future at Newcastle. We hope this injury does not jeopardize a permanent deal this summer.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match In Win Against Chelsea?

• Ciaran Clark (36%, 1,158 )
  • Miguel Almiron (12%, 383 )
  • Martin Dubravka (11%, 360 )
  • Joelinton (10%, 310 )
  • Jamaal Lascelles (9%, 303 )
  • Federico Fernandez (8%, 270 )
  • Isaac Hayden (7%, 219 )
  • A. Saint-Maximin (4%, 123 )
  • Matt Ritchie (2%, 60 )
  • Emil Krafth (1%, 22 )
  • Jonjo Shelvey (0%, 16 )
  • Matty Longstaff (0%, 9 )
  • Jetro Willems (0%, 5 )
  • Sean Longstaff (0%, 2 )

Total Voters: 3,240

Loading ... Loading ...

• catchy in norway

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:24 PM

Clark, was a hero today.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:27 PM

Catchy,
    My point is, that it wasn’t Chelsea being poor and passing sideways. It was our performance that stopped them. On Sky, Redknapp said similar to you in Chelsea playing poorly, Shola jumped in to say that we made them look poor.

2 sides of the same coin, just for me, I’d rather look at how well we did to dstop them, not them just passing sideways and not performing.

Not really disagreeing with you as such, just wording it more positively for our lads! I probably didn’t quite explain it right before.

Agree on Clarke, not so sure on Ritchie. He had a good solid game, and great to have him back. Definitely up there, but I think Clarke and Lascelles pip him overall.

• Mindshaft

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:27 PM

Predicted a win … Was never in doubt

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:28 PM

@toonbrother- so we should just give MotM to whoever scores or seems to have been good by the brief synopsis of the game?

I’m trying to be objective- for 93 minutes I thought Hayden was he worst player on the pitch. Sorry, but his touch and passing was awful.

• Ron Knee

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:30 PM

Is that the last we’ll see of Jetro?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:31 PM

Sky Sports have a bit on the white bar saying that Hull have offered Bowen an improved contract. Is this a new offer, or old news from a couple of months ago?

If it is new, then it looks like a last attempt to keep him, and if he says no, I reckon he will almost certainly move on this month.

• Shoulders knees

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:31 PM

Nevertheless thought I would say this this season but Joelinton was my man of the match

• welshgeordie9

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:32 PM

In Bruce we trust, fantastic result today.

• Shoulders knees

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:33 PM

Never thought I would

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:34 PM

If Willems knee injury is serious, and he will miss the rest of the season, do people think he has done enough to keep him here for the season and make it permanent still? Or should we send him back to Frankfurt now and look to someone else?

• c-dog

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:37 PM

Plenty of the anti Bruce brigade still trying to justify their unwarranted hatred of a local lad. Sickening abuse.

• Shoulders knees

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:38 PM

LG
    For me yes.

• catchy in norway

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:40 PM

Lil

I see where your coming from, but I did say I thought we were outstanding.

We did exactly what we do, and did it the best iv seen us do it, with only 1 weak spot.

Not going to argue with your assessment on Mom, like I said, I only watched 45,so it not a fair and balanced view, it should be over 90 mins.
    Shhhh. That’s only time I’m ever admiting to not having a fair and balanced view, wink wink.

Pleased ASM got 90 mins in, great ball in the 94th min, really pleased that at 94 mins when the first corner was headed out, our team didn’t just settle for a point and pass back wards, we put the ball back in the box with many of our players going for it.

Well done to Bruce boy, got it all right today

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:42 PM

@Lilongwe – I like Willems and think he’s got genuine talent but if he’s seriously injured I would pull out of any deal for him. If not I’d sign him if cheap but it will always be cheap with Ashley here so that’s irrelevant.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:42 PM

I like all our CB’s, certainly Dummett, Lascelles and Clark are very good defensively. Lascelles organizes us well. He and Dummett are fast. Clark very solid and will also get goals for us. Fede decent all round. Scharr and Lejeune play it out well from the back.

However, we simply can’t continue dropping right off and trying to nick games, that’s bottom third stuff, and it’ll end in relegation eventually. At some point, maybe after this window, if we can get a couple more assertive attacking players in, we need to play a bit higher up the pitch and hold onto the ball, and create more chances.

We need that more combative go forward centre mid and at least one more attacking player to both create and finish, and when we do, then Scharr and Lejeune will become more integral.

On 29 points after 23 games, I’d play them both now, either side of Lascelles, and good player though he is, I wouldn’t start Shelvey. I’d play 2 out of Hayden and the Longstaffs in there, or more ideally, Hayden or S Longstaff alongside a new signing that will add a bit more pace, vigor and forward passing to the engine room.

• catchy in norway

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:43 PM

Haha no 13

Yes to which question. Hmmm

• welshgeordie9

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:44 PM

We need to sign him permanent, he’s been a real asset.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:47 PM

Catchy,
    Yeah, didn’t explain it well first time!

Good that ASM got the 90 in. He didn’t have a great time, but them we were so deep he rarely got a chance to really rub, and several occasions saw him frustrated when the ball to him was misplaced. It is that moment of quality we often lack, and when we get so few opportunities, it is moments like ASM’s cross that makes or breaks our season.

Hopefully Almiron will be okay for the next game, although I would imagine Bruce would have probably preferred to bring him off if we could have afforded to.

Krafth was really poor on the ball, but solid defensively. A decent full back if we transitioned to 4 at the back, but not good enough if we are sticking to wing backs.

• catchy in norway

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:48 PM

if it is a bad injury, don’t think we should sign him, .

I’m sorry, but some players are never the same.

But i wish him a speedy recovery though, and hope and prey its not a bad one, as I would love to have him, he is has been pretty good for us

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:49 PM

Shoulders,
    I’m assuming that is a yes to keep him?

• Shoulders knees

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:49 PM

Catchy
    Would I sign Jetro
    Also think Matty is the best longstaff at the moment

• Shoulders knees

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:51 PM

Lil
    A big yes, don’t think injury will be a game changer.

• lochinvar

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:51 PM

Clark is like a Land Rover, solid, reliable and a great Defender
    Good to see him back

• Mirandinha

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:51 PM

That Matt Ritchie video on twitter has got me creased. Jeez the speed that flag was going. Poor bloke :p

• G

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:52 PM

Tough one for MOM today. Deffo not Shelvey who looked like he couldnt be arsed for a lot of the game, and not Fernandez, who did ok defending, but gave away posetion way too much.

• lochinvar

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:53 PM

Good day as other results have been ok for us as well.
    Leaving the ground was amazing, all with smiling faces.

• kc2012

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:55 PM

Great result against a very good team Today.

Chelsea played very well but the bottom line is, Steve Bruce masterminded a great snatch and grab win.

Defensively we were excellent and Ciaran Clark has become a huge player for us.

Man of the match for me was Joelinton but very difficult to separate him and Clark. I thought Joelinton put himself about and didn’t stop. He might not be a brilliant player (as a striker) but today he really gave everything and was very unlucky not to score with that header.

Massive 3 points. Get in lads!

• Australian Pie

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:55 PM

Hiya Toon22 where are ya?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:55 PM

Shoulders,
    It will depend on the injury I guess. I’m not sure what his past injuries were, but I know he has had a couple of serious ones. If they have been serious knee issues, and this is another one, then he may well lose a bit of pace, which will have a big impact in his game.

I’d like to think we had already spoken with him about a permanent move, will be cold of the club to send him packing.

Club have form for signing a crock who is on loan, and also mistreating a player who should have been supported through medical issues.

• Uncertain Toon

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:55 PM

Shame about Willems, send him to Lejeune’s Doc to get fixed if it’s bad

• Australian Pie

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:55 PM

Well done lads that was a great ending. Very good defensive display. Clark man of match for me

• catchy in norway

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:57 PM

Lil, first game back, and poped up with one moment, il take it.

And I’m sorry, but Krafth is not good enough in any formation, I have not seen him have 1 half decent game, as a modern Fullback or wing back you have to be better than what he shows, he is poor at positioning, I don’t think he is fast enough, his passing is really a joke.

Both manquilio and yedlin are both miles better, and they both are just OK, not great.

• Our Toon

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:59 PM

LG

I’d sign him permanently without doubt

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 18, 2020 at 9:00 PM

It was a good job I didn’t have a cup of coffee in my hand when that goal went in! 🙂

My missus reckons the whole of the street heard my ‘YES’ she’d gone upstairs to get away from my cursing prior to that. 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 18, 2020 at 9:02 PM

You could here the fans clearly ‘who’s that team we call united….’ when Ritchie went to take that corner.

It just felt like one of those special moments – the fans chanting, the effort and work rate we had put in, the pressure we had been under, getting away with our one major defensive lapse in concentration, everything was there- and then Ritchie hits the first/second man….

Thankfully ASM played the cross of the match.

• Shoulders knees

Jan 18, 2020 at 9:02 PM

Lil
    Yes agree if it’s bad rethink, but am hoping he is not too bad and protecting himself after previous injuries. Fingers crossed, Acl looks favourite from looking at incident but like I said fingers crossed

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 18, 2020 at 9:03 PM

Dubkravka was a fantastic point saver once again and deserves equal MOM with Clarke.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 18, 2020 at 9:06 PM

Have to agree on the reffing, I was hoping he wouldn’t stick to the special Toon rule but he did, we still won though, so yaboo to that rule!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 18, 2020 at 9:06 PM

Catchy,
    Certainly on the ball, he just doesn’t look up to it at this level, and realistically, you have to be to push on at this level.

I guess that is why we are looking at this Austrian (I think) from Inter. I’d quite like to see Tavernier back from Rangers, but not sure how likely that is.

I think this as a focus in this month is a bit silly, but I guess if he is someone we have been tracking, if he is available you go for it.