web analytics

How Will Newcastle Do At Everton On Tuesday?

Newcastle have a chance to enact some revenge on Everton on Tuesday at Goodison Park. The Toffees defeated Newcastle 2-1 at St James Park to close out 2019 in a bit of a somber way.

However, the squad was struggling with injuries and fatigue at the time, having just been well beaten at Old Trafford two days before.

While the injury situation is still critical with basically only Emil Krafth and Matt Ritchie available at wing-backs, some vital players are back in Jamaal Lascelles, Allan Saint-Maximin, and Ciaran Clark.

After two wins on the bounce, including the FA Cup, the lads will be confident they can get something out of this away trip.

Newcastle are now level on points with Everton after the unexpected Chelsea result from Saturday. However, Everton sit one place above in eleventh with their superior goal difference.

Bruce will likely rotate the squad slightly though he doesn’t have too many options in some areas. In addition to wing-back, there’s only one striker fit in Joelinton at the moment.

Though Bruce is back to having plenty of fit center-halves with Fabian Schar and Florian Lejeune available for rotation.

Hopefully, the head coach will provide some positive updates on a few of our injured players at his press conference on Monday. We hope to hear that at least Andy Carroll and DeAndre Yedlin will be ready to play.

How Will Newcastle Do At Everton On Tuesday?

• Draw (35%, 944 )
  • Win (35%, 936 )
  • Lose (30%, 790 )

Total Voters: 2,670

Loading ... Loading ...
PosTeamGamesGDPoints
12Southampton27-1434
13Crystal Palace27-833
14Newcastle27-1731
15Brighton27-728
16Bournemouth27-1726
17Aston Villa27-1825

• TomaKaThor

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:13 PM

Well safe to say anyone who read the whole conversation from earlier will know his reasoning for being a keyboard warrior are null and void lol…ooops i added a lol it might set the delicate narcissist off again.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:23 PM

Rafa commented a few times himself in the past with us saying how he’d like to play differently with us but has to play the way that suits the players. It is what it is. You could see slow improvements being made. Whether Bruce can do this or if it can happen under Ashley is a different thing altogether.

I personally don’t mind defensive football. As a former defender I appreciate it. Think it’s why I enjoy watching teams like Atletico Madrid. And loved seeing France winning the World Cup with a defensive and pragmatic style which annoyed all the pundits! I never cared for possession, absolute meaningless statistic in my eyes. I do feel we were a better defensive unit last year but this season we have added pace from the start in Almiron and ASM which we never had. We saw what that was like second half of last season when almiron joined.

Just adding a couple players won’t change our style btw. As a group most players can find other players. Some long range others not. But when the slightest of presses we receive players are not comfortable on the ball. As a generalisation our first touches throughout the team is poor. We take a touch and a press can be on us so we become under pressure, leading to giving the ball away.

It’s funny though seeing a lot of posters complaining about it last year now defending it and posters defending it last year to knocking it this year.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:30 PM

That Daily Mail article I think accurately sums up the situation at the club at the present time.

Might drop a couple of places in the coming weeks but no real fear of relegation.

Interesting whether Tubbs gets the cheque book out for Brucie to rebuild.

• JDdubai

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:30 PM

Prediction for everton is 31% possession.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:30 PM

Here is a little scout report I found last week on Ollie Watkins https://footballbh.net/2019/07/12/ollie-watkins-2018-19-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics/

It was before the start of this season when he never played as a striker. This season is his first up front and has been banging them in.

I’ve not seen much of him but he looks to be good so will be keeping an eye out for him and how he gets on.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:31 PM

Prediction for Everton.
    Injury in 17th minute! 😀

• JDdubai

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:33 PM

Is that the first or second injury of the match tho?

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:35 PM

JD
    That’s a tough one. I’m going to go 1st. Although I shouldn’t really joke about it lol. Nothing else we can do I guess.

• Munster Mag

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:39 PM

Ronaldo I admire athletico too, and loved the great Italian clubs and national teams and the baresi’s and Maldini’s and costacurta’s etc. And the present day Godin etc. But I agree that Bruce has to work harder on their touch and passing. I think Bruce is a clever boy who knows how to get a result off fat Mike, but even with three new players, he needs to work on our retention

• lesh

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:43 PM

Jane

Thanks for copying that Mail article – reading it from yours and not having to open the Mail’s site, meant that I didn’t have to clean my phone!

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:44 PM

Munster
    Pardew tried the nice guy approach with Ashley too. You can argue he got some good players to work with but when we had the opportunity to kick on as a club he just got Anita. No disrespect meant for Big Vurn.

• lesh

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:46 PM

Munster

Bruce has to work harder on their touch and passing?

Maybe he should invite Keegan to join his coaching staff. Kev was renowned for his seven-a-side, keepy-uppy and triangles based training. Keep it simple and enjoyable.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:49 PM

Pardew quotes that stick with me and never fail to make me laugh, if even to just myself.
    “He’s a great guy is mike”
    “The win was for Mike”
    I think he specifically thanked him for a signing too but I may be mistaken because I remember him patting him self on the back for one himself.

• lesh

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:50 PM

Ashley’s had no choice but to back Brucie. He’s trying to show he really is a good guy who and because there was no money, couldn’t back Rafa as much as he’d have liked to following promotion.

Ashley’s not changed and never will. See what happens this winter and next summer.

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:54 PM

In reply to asking about ‘big’ signing
    Mark Douglas
    @MsiDouglas
    Replying to
    @ToonFan14
    No: I say in the piece Bruce was quite happy it hasn’t leaked out yet!

• Nicky the ball tosser

Jan 20, 2020 at 12:37 AM

We’ll play the same way, and chances are we’ll get beat. Problems at right wing back and central midfield for sure.

Given a fully fit squad, this 11 has the best balance for a counterattacking side that we could field.

…………………..Dubravka.
    …….Scharr……Lascelles…..Lejeune.
    Manquillo…Hayden..S Longstaff…Willems.
    ……….St Max…….Joel…….Almiron.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 20, 2020 at 1:10 AM

The 19th Plate crashes to the ground!

• Mister Tuff

Jan 20, 2020 at 1:14 AM

Matron, matron – he’s still up at this hour. Can you not lock him in his room.

• NY Mag

Jan 20, 2020 at 1:23 AM

Bill,

I think there might be another week of plate crashing before anything happens 🙂

(I am the eternal optimist)

• Mister Tuff

Jan 20, 2020 at 1:29 AM

Matron – might be illegal locking him in his room. How about hiding his ear trumpet or gluing the lid on his commode – that’ll keep him fumbling around for hours and restrict his time on here.

• NY Mag

Jan 20, 2020 at 1:38 AM

Mr T,

Your subtleness is lost on me…..I have no idea who you are referring too….
    Unless it’s me of course, then I’m more stupid than I look (type) 🙂

• Mister Tuff

Jan 20, 2020 at 1:44 AM

NY – not you. I am just replying in kind with a non addressed post . (response to a non addressed post – clearly for me some time ago). The person in question will know who it is intended for. However, no nastiness – but a bit of humour. Well I thought it was funny.

• NY Mag

Jan 20, 2020 at 1:47 AM

Mr T,

It was funny….i laughed anyway.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 20, 2020 at 1:56 AM

NY – in the US is the word matron used. Here it would be, amongst other definitions, a female in charge of nursing or a person in charge of a nursing home (old folks home). Thus suggesting that one of matrons’ charges (person under her control) was an old codger/an old goat.

• Mister Tuff

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:20 AM

Anyway away to the pit.

• NY Mag

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:34 AM

I’m not sure I’ve heard the word ‘matron’ used, of course there is a hierarchy in the medical community…….I don’t know (or even want to) what the terms are.
    Anyway, the gag was good…let’s leave at that 🙂

• Unused Substitute

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:58 AM

The suggestion that Bruce’s game plan is comparable to Rafa’s defensive setup, simply doesn’t hold water. Stats have been emphatic that this season our’s is *not* defensive football. It’s one of not being able to string passes together and retracting as soon as we cede position in the hope that by filling our box with bodies the ball wouldn’t find its way into the net. The game plan is working so far because other teams haven’t been creative enough to penetrate our wall.

One more thing comes to my mind. Regardless of our general skepticism toward stats, all clubs are into it heavily. Bruce continues to work with the stats team hired by Rafa, of which Jamie Harley is the lead. Another statistician, John Fitzpatrick, is also working with NUFC injury stats. Question is why the stats tools Rafa used meaningfully to control injury is failing to deliver after he left? Could those have been thrown out of calibration by our current bosses?

• lesh

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:16 AM

NY Mag

Have you never seen or read One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest? The film’s pretty close to the book and Matron Ratchett (think about the pronunciation) is a real horror. Jack Nicholson, well, he’s Jack Nicholson. It’s worth a watch and confirms that, like Easy Rider, the system always wins.

• lesh

Jan 20, 2020 at 3:19 AM

NY Mag

There’re some real angry people posting of late.

• DubaiMicky

Jan 20, 2020 at 4:34 AM

Why can’t Luke Edwards do a similar piece on us?

Apols if it’s been posted already.

• giimps

Jan 20, 2020 at 6:20 AM

Probably cos hes a gonk

• DubaiMicky

Jan 20, 2020 at 6:27 AM

A gimp calling a gonk. The NUFC Blog, the blog that just keeps giving. 🙂

• Mindshaft

Jan 20, 2020 at 7:16 AM

Thought Joe Linton played pretty much like he did against Spurs ( where we also ‘stole’ the points ), is it good enough – probably not but it’s a lot better than most other games where he strolls around not looking arsed – hopefully he can start to at least out effort in consistently …I am well aware he’s not a striker and being asked to play a difficult role in a backs wall to the team but effort is a minimum even us lot can put that in if called up

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:19 AM

We’ve got ten days to go. Mikey needs to bring in a big money signing or two or Bruce’s claims that he’s been nothing but straight with him so far is going to make one or both of them look insincere if he doesn’t.

• Munster Mag

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:43 AM

Not really Jail. If he gets in two decent loanees with a view to purchase, most would be satisfied for now I think. You’re just upping the ante to stir crap on here.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:53 AM

No Munster,
    I’m telling it as I see it.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:02 AM

And that’s if we purchase them, if we’d taken Tielmans on loan would we have shelled out 40M to buy him or messed around all summer trying to re-loan him.

• welshgeordie9

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:06 AM

Jail for Ashley
    Jan 20, 2020 at 8:19 AM

You could say the same about Rafa.

• welshgeordie9

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:07 AM

But obviously you won’t.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 20, 2020 at 9:10 AM

welshie me auld lead weight. Where were you the other night, it was a bright full moon and you missed a glorious opportunity to help me with my long bow practice.