web analytics

Who Did Our Readers Select As The Man Of The Match Against Chelsea?

After the Chelsea win, Steve Bruce spoke about the smash and grab manner in which Newcastle claimed the three points. He added that while the team is not always the best to watch, they are tough to beat.

It looked almost certain to be either a draw or a defeat until Newcastle won the late corner on Saturday. Allan Saint-Maximin and Isaac Hayden were able to create another memorable moment in a season that has had a few.

We didn’t create much going forward and were very sloppy in possession – the little we saw of the ball. However, the defensive performances were outstanding, and Chelsea just couldn’t break Newcastle down.

Our forwards too put in a shift defensively with Joelinton pressing Chelsea and Miguel Almiron tracking back to help Emil Krafth.

Of all the defensive performances, there was one Magpie who got much of the accolades after the game. It was very well deserved. That is Ciaran Clark, who we sorely missed when he injured his calf against Southampton and had to be removed at half time.

Clark returned last weekend in our draw at Wolves. Against Chelsea on Saturday, the 30-year-old was just brilliant. His performance is reflected in our poll result.

Ciaran Clark has won his first Man of the Match poll collecting 36% of the 3240 total votes. Miguel Almiron came in a distant second with 12% while Martin Dubravka was close behind him in third place.

It’s great to see Joelinton get a decent number of votes for the second match running.

Now, let’s see if Alan Shearer puts Clark in his Team of the Week. We’d be absolutely shocked if he doesn’t.

Who Was Newcastle's Man Of The Match In Win Against Chelsea?

• Ciaran Clark (36%, 1,158 )
  • Miguel Almiron (12%, 383 )
  • Martin Dubravka (11%, 360 )
  • Joelinton (10%, 310 )
  • Jamaal Lascelles (9%, 303 )
  • Federico Fernandez (8%, 270 )
  • Isaac Hayden (7%, 219 )
  • A. Saint-Maximin (4%, 123 )
  • Matt Ritchie (2%, 60 )
  • Emil Krafth (1%, 22 )
  • Jonjo Shelvey (0%, 16 )
  • Matty Longstaff (0%, 9 )
  • Jetro Willems (0%, 5 )
  • Sean Longstaff (0%, 2 )

Total Voters: 3,240

Loading ... Loading ...

• G

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:04 PM

Most of the team were good yesterday. Voted Clark, but was torn on Lascelles and Joelinton too. Miggy deserves a mention. Only Kratht, Fede and Shelvey not in the vote for me.

• carltoon

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:09 PM

Krafth who scouted him. Will he get any better? I hope so because he’s very young, surely we must have a better player in our under 23 squad.

• JDdubai

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:09 PM

Really think we need to bring Schar back in as Right CB. fede is a much better defender but just not good enough with the ball. with 3 at the back, the left and right CBs have to be comfortable bringing it out and picking a pass, otherwise all they end up doing is launching it long to an isolated CF and we lose possession again.

Also with Krafth as RWB, we are already limited attacking-wise down the right, if we had Schar then he could give us something more down that side to balance our attacks. Krafth and fede together is too limited.

Fede and Lascelles should be competing for the middle CB role – kick it / head it organiser types. Or both together if we go to a back 4.

• JDdubai

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:12 PM

carltoon

Krafth looks a bit like a right footed dummett to me. Should be a RB not a wingback as offers nothing going forwards generally, looked ok in the back 3 on the right but probably RB in a back 4 is where he is best when not needed to offer so much in attack.

If we knew pre-season that we would play with wingbacks, I dont see why he was bought at all as clearly not a wingback.Maybe the plan was to move to a back 4 so thats why he was bought?

• Munster Mag

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:12 PM

G, I thought Fede was good. Better second half. I think shearer praised him. We have a dilemma if all fit. Defenders who defend v defenders who can pass.

• carltoon

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:13 PM

What a difference in Joelinton, how many times did he get fouled and got nothing off the Ref. He really put himself about. Hope this is just a start

• G

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:15 PM

I think Fede defended ok yesterday, but kept giving away the ball. Shelvey, I think was just having a bad day. At the match yesterday, I thought he looked lazy, but watching the highlights on TV he looked like a bloke beating himself up over it, so maybe I was a little hasty. Kratht was just not good enough. Not his fault, maybe he will come good, but so far I’m not convinced.

• G

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:17 PM

Munster, by Fede’s own standards I thought the defensive side of his game was fine. It was his passing that was way below his best yesterday mate.

• carltoon

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:20 PM

JD Dummett wasn’t great, but I think he became a very good defence fullback. Not very good going forward, and also never let us down when asked to play centre half. Hope Krafth improves.

• carltoon

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:27 PM

G, agree about Fede, and Shelvey definitely not match fit. Like Schar going forward and passing, oh but his defending is sometimes reckless.

• G

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:30 PM

Schar takes the odd risk Carl, but his all round game makes him worth it.

• carltoon

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:31 PM

JD, that bit about Schar was about your post. I do think he should be in the team with Lascelles, I’m sure when he first came he was great next to him. I might be wrong though.

• carltoon

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:34 PM

G, yes I love him in the team. Plus I wish I was 50 years younger, I’ve seen him close up, ha ha is that sexist. He’s got a lovely girlfriend.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:35 PM

Munster,
    Get this in to your thick head. Everton brought in Carlo Ancellotti, we brought in Steve Bruce. That’s what I can’t get over.

• carltoon

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:38 PM

Yes but he got Bruce for next to nowt. And that’s all we’ll get until someone buys the club.

• onmeedsun

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:43 PM

The Latin motto of the city of Newcastle upon Tyne translates as ‘triumph through strong defence’. There’s me thinking the Toon have always excelled when on the front foot attacking, whilst all along we should have just been defending for 90 mins ala Rafa and Bruce. One nil to the Geordie boys!

• ronaldo aarons

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:44 PM

Looking at that picture… why is Declan Rice wearing a toon top? Have we bought him? 😀

• G

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:44 PM

Haha carltoon, you’re amongst friends (mostly), so if it is sexist I’m sure we can forgive you.

• Pain in the Blog

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:44 PM

Hail For Ashley,

Dear, oh dear, oh dear. I’ve just finished reading this evening’s posts and yours have been astonishing. Here’s just a sample…

“Not being passive-aggressive, I’m being aggressive you thick c***.
    …No, because I don’t like thickos in any walk of life.
    …He can only play at the level he’s at you dog shagging deviant.”

Wow. That’s a bit OTT isn’t it? Where did all that irrational aggression come from? The unnecessary hostility? You have severe anger management issues, Mate, not to mention your rampant narcissism. You are in need of some therapy. For God’s sake, calm down man. Get a grip.

• welshgeordie9

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:45 PM

In Bruce we trust.

• carltoon

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:46 PM

It served Arsenal alright for years, one nil to the Arsenal, was their chant for years.

• c-dog

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:47 PM

Evening Jail

Bruce has us challenging for the top half
    Best let us fans enjoy it while we can
    Who knows when we might be in such a position again

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:50 PM

I was wondering if he had a bug of some sort, the way he was struggling in the 2nd half.

It’d be a cruel blow if the squad come down with some kind of virus on top of all of the injuries.

• carltoon

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:50 PM

G, I’m just a silly old woman, but I know there’s a few men out there swoon when they see him.

• Munster Mag

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:53 PM

Jail you stupid dick, stop pretending you don’t have an agenda. You tried to shut up anyone who dared criticise your previously world class manager. And you failed. So stfu you thick muppet.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:55 PM

Pain

Your armchair psychology I’ll pass on thanks. Don’t take it so hard, it’s not a cock. Bloody fairy.

• G

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:00 PM

HWA, I dont wish to get involved in this bit, but almost every post you have made this evening has me thinking of a phrase which rythmes with ‘hell bend’. Give it a rest man.

• catchy in norway

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:00 PM

Jail, your a funny guy, you just accused Munster of not liking any other opinion that’s not in line with his, but please correct me if Im wrong, your whole shtick is if you didn’t like Pardew you supported Ashley, if you don’t support Rafa your a stooge for Ashley, it’s like you cannot separate Ashley from anything, no matter how many times people said they do not like Ashley, it didn’t matter because you cannot dislike 2 people at the same time, if the football is crap like Pardew and Rafa, it was Ashleys fault for not supporting them, yet now your tune changes slightly, because now you say Pardew had a great team, who paid for it?

I don’t like Ashley, but he bought good cheap players under Carr, Steve spent over 80 million, Rafa 145 million, Bruce has spent over 60 million, but some how it doesn’t matter because he didn’t spend all the money he made from selling players..

Who cares about how much a player costs, it should only matter if your playing top Trumps not real life,

NUFC is not about finances, if you like that stuff, join an accounting blog.

And to ever posted football is subjective, what a load of pap, defensive football is defensive football and attacking football is attacking football, Jose is defensive Rafa is defensive, keegan was attacking and so was SBR And SAF ant man u.

• JDdubai

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:01 PM

SERIOUSLY

Can all of you arguing with each other just cut it out. Its so boring and annoying and ruins the blog.

Id love to post more and talk footy but every time i log on i read the abuse you send each other and think sod it and close the blog.

Its football, we arent meant to all agree but just accept it if people dont agree with you. If you want to continue the arguments then exchange emails/phone numbers through Neil / Ed and abuse each other privately to your hearts content. Maybe create a whatsapp group and really go at each other away from everyone else.

Too many keyboard warriors ruining it for others with the same arguments day after day after day……

• G

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:03 PM

Well said JD

• catchy in norway

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:07 PM

Jail

At the end of the day, nufc sit on 29 points, in Steve Bruce’s first season with 95% against him but seems to have the squad right behind him.
    Rafa had 95% of the crowd with him, but not the full squad, only a few loyal players like Lascelles.

• c-dog

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:07 PM

Munster

Don’t give that troll the satisfaction
    Enjoy our winning weekend lad

• catchy in norway

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:11 PM

Jd

Hmmm, is that until you want to abuse someone? I remember getting crap off you, but that right, your special, and the likes of you can claim the high moral ground. But you cannot.

• G

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:11 PM

Catchy, Bruce was nowhere near my list of managers I wanted to suceed Rafa, and I still worry that are results are down to luck rather than ability, however, Bruce is doing just fine from what I have seen, so happy to eat my words with a bit of humble pie on the side.

• onmeedsun

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:12 PM

Dubai, as in the words of the song, ‘we are mental, we are mad, we are the…….’ And then when you throw drink into the mix, you get what you get with some of the posts. I’ve seen a Toon fans fighting each other at away matches, beggars belief at times. I love north east people but there are still plenty of nutters out there!

• giimps

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:14 PM

Plenty in ere too

• investinyouthtoon

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:15 PM

Jail for Ashley on prev post. I was not having a go at anybody for their choice, personally I rated rafa and held him in high esteem for my already stated reasons. All managers have their critics even fergie clough and Shanklin had theirs, Bruce is not then enemy he’s just a symptom of Ashleys awful running of the club.

The comparison with rubbish teams like burnley and Bournemouth in terms of the fans expectations being lowered to accept 17th as success is sadly true.

• Munster Mag

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:18 PM

Catchy and C Dog it’s just as well Bruce is doing well or all we’d be hearing is “Ashley forced out Rafa” with multiple hearts for the same statement from the same guys. All day long.

• catchy in norway

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:19 PM

G

Thats just how blinded you are, you say it’s down to luck under one, but under the other you had full confidence.

But in reality they are both exactly the same but you have one on a pedestal.

You claim because Rafa won a few things it makes him world class, but in reality if you check his starting position and finish position in Madrid, world class squad, they went backeards. Milan, outstanding squad, they went backwards. Napoli, yep you guessed it, backwards. And now look in China, world class coach and they have stood still.

Yet listening to the Rafa god crowd, it was all Ashley, and no one will explain how now at his 5 last clubs in my eyes he has been a huge fail, but some how he did a great job at NUFC, and now Brucy boy is proving that Rafa wasn’t great because poor old Brucy is doing better that Rafa did with a worse squad and fans against him.

• Hail Wor Ashley

Jan 19, 2020 at 9:19 PM

I only get hostile when others are being indirectly hostile towards a genuinely expressed opinion and mocking instead of engaging with the content of a post, offering no coherent explanation for their disagreement. Just “hahaha”, a load of strawmen and twisting words.

If we’re going to have tone police start with those types.

Lack of respect will get lack of respect back two-fold. Simple really.

There’s always been friction on here, it’s part and parcel of it. It will never end, not even when Bruce becomes a club legend in 5 months time after winning us an FA cup 🙂 In fact that will probably add fuel to the fire save for Jail and the like finally disappearing once and for all, because we know certain posters can never say “I was wrong”.

I do it all the time, wrong about Willems casual style meaning he would fail here, wrong about all sorts, but some cannot ever be seen to be wrong, sooner die a blog death I should think.