web analytics

Newcastle Confirm Nabil Bentaleb As First January Signing

Newcastle United have confirmed the loan signing of midfielder Nabil Bentaleb for the rest of the season with an option to make the deal permanent this summer.

This is what the 25-year-old had to say about signing for the Magpies.

“I’m very happy to come back to the Premier League, especially with a club such as Newcastle.

“The project really interested me. I wanted absolutely to come back to the Premier League.

“The coach had some trust in me and the club also – I saw that straight away – and I think it’s the perfect move for me.”

Bentaleb came through the Tottenham Academy where he made 66 appearances until he left for Schalke in 2017.

His experience in England played a big role in Bruce’s decision to bring the Algerian to Newcastle this month.

This is what the head coach had to say about his new signing.

“He’s somebody who I paid particular attention to when he was at Spurs, when he broke through and got a big money move to Germany.

“He’s played at the highest level now for the last four or five years but he will come in hungry and feeling he has something to prove and will give us the competition we obviously need.

“With the numbers that we’ve got at the minute, he’s got a bit of experience and I think people will enjoy watching him play. He’ll come into the squad and I’m sure he’ll be a good acquisition for us.

“The fact that he’s played in the Premier League before helps, because we know that he can play and knows what the demands of the Premier League are.

“He’s gone from the Premier League to Schalke and played in the Champions League as well, so we’re delighted to get him. It’s a great signing.”

This is an excellent first signing for this window. We hope to hear some positive news on Valentino Lazaro in the next few days as well.

• Mindshaft

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:48 PM

Welcome aboard – wasn’t aware we had a project though??

• Big Bruce Stars.

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:48 PM

Alright everyone – Bentaleb!

It Samatta for Villa now, Betty. I said before I hope he doesn’t bang a hat trick in against us. 🙁

• martoon

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:49 PM

Obviously we can free up 2 squad places by removing Dummy and Willems but if by some miracle we bring in 3 players it will be interesting to see who will be removed – I’m thinking maybe Mutu or Ki but as we’re not blessed with strikers more likely Ki?

• JDdubai

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:50 PM

We didnt even have a forward on the bench at the weekend, very few links with CFs around too. Odd.

Good luck to this lad, big wages(for us) so will be hoping it all works out well.

• Ron Knee

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:52 PM

Was Bentaleb the “mystery signing”?

• cyprus

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:53 PM

We need just three four wins to be safe, ASM is back and now this signing. Good stuff.

Let’s see how we do against Everton tonight, of course no one knows. We’re driving pundits and ourselves nuts 🙂

Think a hard earned draw is most likely.

Though won’t be betting. Newcastle beat Chelsea like I predicted but Man U couldn’t get a draw, a bet I’d combined. Last time I’m cheering for them.

• Munster Mag

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:54 PM

Great stuff, well done. Seems like a great bit of business. Hopefully one or two more to follow. I’m not sure if Bowen is suited to us, I’m with nufc 83 on this, but hope I’m wrong. In reality I haven’t seen loads of Bowen but am just a little concerned that he may not be as class as we are hoping.

• RobLeenio

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:54 PM

mindshaft, it’s the new 5 year (or at least six transfer window) plan, did you not get the memo?

😉

• Big Bruce Stars.

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:56 PM

We don’t use strikers anyway, don’t need them. 😐

• RobLeenio

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:57 PM

Welcome Nabil, I think this lad could be a superb signing for us.His interview on nufc.co.uk is actually very good – he comes across as modest, unassuming, regretful of past mistakes and with a desire to prove himself.

If he shows the same on the field, we could have a star on our hands.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:58 PM

The club have obviously decided that because of the fee paid for Joelinton making him a double purple in old money , then he is expected to take care of the goal scoring.

• Big Bruce Stars.

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:58 PM

Maybe he didn’t like his manager. Have to say he wasn’t my idea of entertainment on BGT. Ha ha yeah I know sorry.

• Big Bruce Stars.

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:59 PM

Would he be a double purple? Maybe they have an Ultraviolet class we didn’t know about.

• RobLeenio

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:01 PM

It’s always Reilly with the breaking news, isn’t it?

Quick off the mark, that one – no flies on him!

• Big Bruce Stars.

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:01 PM

We would have to hope that he had an unfortunate and immature fallout with his manager, which he regrets, and his knee injury scuppering their plans put the final nail in his staying there.

And not that he turns out to be a perennial grade “A” git.

• bettyswallocks

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:03 PM

I also hope this Bentleg will improve our midfield but the way our players keep dropping like flies we really need two squads.

• Ron Knee

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:07 PM

Ademola Lookman? Any recent rumours?

• bettyswallocks

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:08 PM

Aye he would have been graded above purple due to his record fee so when all the data is fed into the system it will be saying that the stats guarantee goals by the bucketload.
    I think there’ll be plenty of head scratching and checking of computers come the end of the season.

• JDdubai

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Lookman or Lazaro would be a decent bet, depending on where Lazaro ends up.

Still think Bowen will come at the death, we are just doing our usual stingy game but if Hull think he will walk away for nowt in the summer then think he will come for around 15m with add ons – maybe we pay them 2 million extra if he goes a full season uninjured?

then again, if hull think he could help them get promoted then losing him for nowt is peanuts for the tv money if they go up.

so to summarize, iv no idea.

• RobLeenio

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:11 PM

If we do pick up Lookman (with Lazarro going to Leipzig), that’ll be three big signings from Germany in recent windows (Joelinton from Hoffenheim, Bentaleb from Schalke and Lookman from Leipzig)

Someone’s doing the work over there for us!

• RobLeenio

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:16 PM

Bentaleb debut vs Oxford seems nailed on. I wonder if he’ll get a start?

• TomaKaThor

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:20 PM

Got to say I am pleased with this addition and he could be a real coup in the summer for only 10 million, I am pretty confident Lazaro is going to RB Leipzig, whether that means Lookman is then coming to us…. Time will tell.. Not to happy with the lack of movement on the striker front.. We really need a proper goal scorer

• RobLeenio

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:38 PM

That Spurs match at home 2nd May looks like a game that Bentaleb will look forward to.

• cyprus

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:57 PM

“Don’t know what he’s like now, but when he was at Spurs, he was one if the bright shining lights for the future.”

A Spurs friend just sent me this. The future is now 🙂

Now, for another ASM on the right and we’ll be ok for the rest of the season.

We’ll eventually need to do something about that 20-30s possession… Unless we already have.