web analytics

Newcastle To Consider Loan Move For England International

The Telegraph is reporting that Newcastle are considering a loan move for Tottenham left-back Danny Rose.

The 29-year-old was considered an unlikely target in the summer when it seemed like he was destined for a move. However, the England international stayed with Spurs but has found little playing time since Jose Mourinho replaced Mauricio Pochettino in November.

Since Mourinho took over, Rose has just 1 Premier League start and not made the matchday squad on five occasions. There have also been recent reports of a brewing problem between Danny and the Spurs manager, though Mourinho has refuted reports of a bust-up with his left-back.

A player falling out of favor with his club could again work to Steve Bruce’s and Newcastle’s benefit. The club has just signed former Tottenham midfielder Nabil Bentaleb on loan with an option to buy.

Bentaleb had not featured for Schalke since last April and been banished to the reserves this season. Newcastle were able to use Schalke’s desperation to offload the 25-year-old to their advantage and get an excellent deal for Bentaleb.

Maybe, Newcastle can work that angle once again and bring in Danny Rose, who is a quality left-back. We doubt it would be anything more than a loan until the end of the season, with Rose being 29.

However, he would definitely provide Bruce an experienced option at a position we are now lacking in with Jetro Willems and Paul Dummett out for the season. Rose could also welcome the move to get increased game time with the European Championships looming this summer.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:26 PM

Ffs, a loan move, here’s what you could have won Jail!!! So if there is any truth in this it’s basically just a stop gap because there’s no way we’d be buying him at the end of the deal anyway. There goes my brief cause for optimism, back to normal 🙁

• RobLeenio

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:32 PM

Nobody thinking Liam Gibson deserves a chance?

Seems like a good option to me, given he’s just back after finishing his loan at Grimsby where he did very well.

We may never get a better chance to bring him through.

• JDdubai

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:33 PM

Wages too much surely and will turn 30 in July. would only ever be a loan move to see us through to the summer.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:34 PM

Munster

Signing a player who hasn’t been involved for two years due to attitude problems “is what a properly run club should be doing”

Hahahahaha, hahahahaha

Nothing to do with Ashley getting him half price is it hahaha.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:35 PM

Rose probably still has his flat on the quayside

• JohnReese

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:36 PM

Rob, I could only say I’ve seen him play maybe twice so couldn’t really give an opinion on whether I think he’d cope.

I could definitely see him being brought in to train with the first team squad and from there, who knows really. Not sure if he’s cup tied but potentially a game against Oxford if not?

• RobLeenio

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:40 PM

JohnReese, he’s definitely cup-tied, so that’s a drawback, for sure. Then again, Danny Rose probably is too.

I’m always in favour of promoting from within. We’ve already lost Lewis Gibson to Everton, I’d hate to wave ta-ta to his brother too, when we’ve got this golden opportunity to bring him through.

• JohnReese

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:45 PM

We don’t have many natural left footed players who can play there so it definitely wouldn’t hurt to have him training with the squad and I’m sure he’ll know himself it may well be the only chance he gets at the first team. He’s at the age of now or never in my opinion.

The loan with Grimsby will have done him the world of good. Shame we couldn’t have done the same for Sterry on the other side.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:45 PM

OP,
    Munster is firmly on board the Ashley Express now that meddling manager is out of the way, didn’t even have to move him upstairs in a box locked in the cupboard.

• mattyNUFC

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:47 PM

Rob

I’m certainly not thinking that re Gibson. Has struggled to hold down a place in league two

Rose, if true, I’d be extremely excited by

• geordie157

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:47 PM

Short term fix, would be a good signing.

Doubt this one will happen though.

Hard to tell how good he’ll be but Hickey from Hearts has great potential, I’d go for him either permanently with a loan back to hearts or permanently as cover for Ritchie.

Him and the Rochdale lad would give us a couple of exciting youngsters. Shame we didn’t sign Braithwaite from Carlisle, already looks a good player. Reminds me of Ben Tozer but that one never worked out for us.

• DeanToon88

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:55 PM

Will bentaleb get a start today lads?

• JohnReese

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:57 PM

Geordie157. Whilst Hickey is a good shout from Hearts, I think with the clubs after him it’ll be difficult to get him in.

I’m friends with a coach, John Crawford out at Ayr and he’s mentioned to me a couple of times about a young kid called Finn Ecrepont. Only 16 so we’d be looking long term but he reckons he’ll displace Robertson and Tierney in the Scotland side given a few years to develop. Ayr are only in the Scottish second division so should be available for a snip and I’ve yet to see him being linked with anyone.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:59 PM

I think most well run clubs identify their targets for a style of play and make their move when the time is right or they’re ready to be slowly introduced or in the case of exceptional players dropped straight in. I’m not really sure that scouring Europe for players will hidden release clauses or that haven’t played for months or even years.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:02 PM

Can be classed as a well run club.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:05 PM

I’m also pretty sure that when a club has a player like Fabian Schar who they’ve paid under 5M for and has proved his worth would have offered him a three year extension to his current deal last summer or paid 16.5M for a ten goal striker or even took 15M for a Championship striker on the advice of your UEFA elite manager. But hey ho we’re different now that Mikey likes Stevie.

• Big Bruce Stars.

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:20 PM

Get the “Magpie Danny Ro-o-ose…” Song ready.

• Munster Mag

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:21 PM

OP, you are pleased to get Bentaleb, yes or no?

• martoon

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:21 PM

Jail I was getting worried about you because I thought I detected a hint of optimism in one of your earlier posts BUT you seem to be back your normal doom & gloom so all is right with the world now 😀
    Seriously I don’t see the problem with Danny Rose as a stop gap for the rest of the season as obviously we had Willems, Richie and Dummett for left wing back and then suddenly 2 of them get injured so surely even you can see how they might have been caught out by this and need a ‘quick fix’ for this season?

• Munster Mag

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:22 PM

Same question to you Jail. Although maybe don’t answer. You won’t be happy until we are beating Real Madrid to the 100m signings.

• Munster Mag

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:23 PM

I love your constant misery and anger Jail. Hugely enjoyable laughing at you.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:24 PM

Munster

If its a simple as a yes no, no.

Can I ask you, how can you question why nobody else has gone for Bowen but you don’t do the same regarding Benteleb?

Not very fair and balanced is it?

• RobLeenio

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:26 PM

Ah, now I see why you were snappish re Gayle earlier – was it Rafa wanted to move him on?

I wasn’t questioning Rafa’s judgement (didn’t know that was what it was about), just saying how I felt he deserved a crack at the Premier League.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:31 PM

The strikers we have won’t get 10 goals between them this season.

Our options at LB are even more limited than usual.

If Dubs gets injured I’d put Joelinton in there over the keepers we have.

Looks to me like we’re signing what we can get bot what we need, doubt Bruce asked for a winger and CM, probably asked for custard creams.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:32 PM

Not what we

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:35 PM

martoon,
    I probably would be happy with it as a stop gap if the rest of the signings weren’t like a jumble sale.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:38 PM

RobLeenio,
    Not at all, he was a player earmarked for upgrading eventually anyway and at more than our money opportunity it should have been snapped up and 10M added to a replacement.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:38 PM

I’m not disappointed in the Bentalib signing.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:40 PM

Will I get pelters if I ask…..

Why aren’t we spending money buying players?

We should have money left from the summer

If these players have been scouted and watched by professionals properly why not just cough up?

The try before you buy doesn’t hold water.

If we buy them in the summer is it off that budget?

Will the money not spent go into that budget or to pay Ashley his blood money back?

Thoughts on a postcard

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:46 PM

I’m on the fence over Bentilib.

Remember him at Spurs and liked his style, rumours of attitude problems everywhere he goes.

Hardly played competitive football for a long long period.

Could take him half a season just to get back to anywhere near his previous performances, fitness timing pace of the prem etc, won’t be easy for any player.

He’s young but I doubt the time we will have him on loan will be enough time to judge how good a player or what type of bloke he is.

Just for the length of time he’s been out of competitive action I’d have said no, full season yes, now no.

• hibbit

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:49 PM

just a bit of a reality check for some on here, so far we have only signed one player in a position that not many were saying was a priority,
    but overall its far to soon to be crowing weather its a good /bad window surely that can only be decided when the window closes and we know who we’ve got and who we didn’t till then its rumor or fake news take your pick.

• Munster Mag

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:49 PM

OP, I don’t know what you’re on about. Not having a go. I think bentaleb looks a good signing. I am not comparing to the Hull guy etc

• Munster Mag

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:53 PM

OP I don’t care if nobody went for bentaleb. How do u know anyway?? I’m judging it as an astute move. Hopefully I’m right but who knows. What I won’t put up with is constant misery from Les Miserables. It’s funny but realism is needed too. Maybe we were quicker off the blocks than other clubs? Does this mean I am on the “Ashley express”. Jail you need to see your GP man

• hibbit

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:53 PM

is he not a loan with an option to buy ???????

• RobLeenio

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:55 PM

OP, all fair questions, honestly. Sadly, I doubt we’ll ever get the proper answers to them, other than via scrutinising the accounts.

As I’ve said before, one of the worst aspects of this regime is its failure to communicate effectively with the clubs’ fans, ie its paying customers.

• JDdubai

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:55 PM

No harm in Bentaleb, work a punt.

Priorities are CF and LWB, if we get fruity then another winger as well.

If we dont get the CF and LWB then it will have been a poor window, if we get them then its been good.

Over to Penfold.

• JohnJ

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:59 PM

Just wondering? Does anybody else think that the penny has at long last dropped – Regarding Mr Ashley? Or is it a co-incidence that there seems to be a softening of attitudes from our owner? Perhaps the fact that knocking on 10,000 empty seats has got through to him that he needs to speculate to accumulate!

I can’t recall the last time NUFC signed a player with ten days still too run of a January transfer window and there may be more!? Isn’t this strange after he failed to sanction the purchase of a striker who could indeed score goals on a regular basis last season! Perhaps the fact that our shop keeping owner had to authorise “the gift” of so many of the “Empty Seats” at St James Park at such a cost has made him think again?

At a very rough estimate say a £30 a seat per game I reckon that comes in at somewhere in the vicinity of £5.5m (Probably underestimated)

Is this a ruse to try and get all the seats sold for next season? How would you/do you feel having paid full price for you ticket to discover in effect you could have paid approx 50% less eh?

Sadly due to health issues, in the main, I don’t have a ticket any more but I’m there in spirit every game our lads play home & away.

HWTL’s

• Munster Mag

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:59 PM

Agree Hibbitt but it’s a decent step I think. If some club like Southampton did it, all Les Mis would be moaning like Billyo. Nonsensical stuff, let’s hope for more. I’m confident. But possibly mad.

• Munster Mag

Jan 21, 2020 at 5:01 PM

OP I am perfectly fair and balanced in approach. The dyed in the wool Miseries here have zero balance so are in no position to judge.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 21, 2020 at 5:03 PM

Mikel Merino was a super signing from Germany, hopefully this guy will be too.