Here is the lineup Steve Bruce selected for our historic last-minute comeback at Goodison Park, including the three second-half substitutions.
Here are our individual player ratings for the match.
Martin Dubravka – 8
- Martin had another strong game for Newcastle. He should have done better on Everton’s opening goal as he let the ball get under him. However, he could do nothing on Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s second. Made some crucial saves in the second half when Everton were pushing to put the game out of reach.
Isaac Hayden – 5
- Hayden struggled last night at right wing-back but was a bit better when he moved to the midfield at the 60-minute mark. He floated in an excellent cross late in the first half that Joelinton headed over the bar. He failed to do enough at right-back to solidify the right flank.
Fede Fernandez – 5
- Fernandez had a tough time on Tuesday. He didn’t track Moise Kean on Everton’s opener. However, Fede continued to battle and made some crucial clearances.
Jamaal Lascelles – 6
- Jamaal looked a bit off the pace at times. He was slow to react on the Moise Kean goal and made a rash attempt at the ball on Everton’s second goal giving Calvert-Lewin space and time to turn and put the ball past Dubravka. He did make a number of interceptions and clearances.
Ciaran Clark – 6
- The defense was out of sorts all game. However, Ciaran Clark was again our best defender. His yellow card in the second half turned out to be a key moment in the game. He was subbed off for Florian Lejeune in the 70th minute.
Matt Ritchie – 7
- Matt Ritchie put in another intense performance and never gave up even when it looked bleakest. He got no help from Christian Atsu on the left flank. Ritchie tried to get things going when on the ball but couldn’t quite get anything to work. Had a very good corner on Lejeune’s goal. His grit and determination kept the struggling side in this game.
Sean Longstaff – 4
- Both Sean and Matty had very shaky nights. They did not do enough to shield the backline. Sean lost possession far too often and just didn’t create anything going forward.
Matty Longstaff – 4
- Matty struggled all night but kept at it. He was not well-positioned at times, and his inexperience showed against Everton’s savvy midfield. Matty also was indecisive on the ball deep in our end. However, he battled hard and put in some crunching tackles.
Miguel Almiron – 7
- Almiron was similar to Ritchie in that he battled all night long and was a spark of energy in a very lethargic team. He was our main attacking threat throughout the game and made some bursting runs at the Everton defense. However, nothing really came off for him but wasn’t from a lack of effort.
Christian Atsu – 3
- Another woeful effort from Christian Atsu. He’s just contributed nothing in his last few Premier League outings. We don’t think he put in a cross all game long and didn’t do enough to help Matt Ritchie on the left.
Joelinton – 5
- Joelinton started brightly in the frenetic first 15 minutes of the game where both teams just continually lost possession. He couldn’t get this header on target in Newcastle’s only real chance to close the first half. However, the 23-year-old is still suffering from a groin injury and had to be pulled for Fabian Schar late in the game.
Emil Krafth – 6
- Emil came in at right wing-back on the hour mark and did a decent enough job. However, he didn’t offer anything going forward but did well to contain Everton’s attacks late in the game.
Florian Lejeune – 9
- Lejeune came on for Ciaran Clark with 20 minutes to go. He added a pair of fresh legs to the backline. However, it’s his two goals that get him the 9 mark. Lejeune’s first goal could be a Newcastle goal of the season contender. His second goal was just a scramble, but he got the ball past the line as Jordan Pickford had been forced into the goal. The Frenchman’s final couple of minutes at Goodison will be etched into Newcastle lore.
Fabian Schar – n/a
- Not on the pitch long enough for a rating. Fabian played in a deep-lying midfield role and held his own. It’s good to know he can come in and do a job there as we all suspected he could.
Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 2-2 Draw At Everton?
- Florian Lejeune (64%, 1,662 )
- Martin Dubravka (17%, 433 )
- Miguel Almiron (11%, 296 )
- Matt Ritchie (3%, 67 )
- Federico Fernandez (1%, 24 )
- Fabian Schar (1%, 18 )
- Isaac Hayden (1%, 18 )
- Ciaran Clark (1%, 17 )
- Jamaal Lascelles (1%, 16 )
- Joelinton (1%, 16 )
- Matty Longstaff (1%, 16 )
- Sean Longstaff (0%, 11 )
- Emil Krafth (0%, 11 )
- Christian Atsu (0%, 8 )
Total Voters: 2,613