web analytics

Who Did Our Readers Select As The Best Player At Everton?

We’re still coming down from the elation of Newcastle’s miraculous comeback against Everton on Tuesday. If Saturday’s win against Chelsea was a smash and grab, then the draw at Goodison Park was highway robbery.

However, we’ll take points any way we can get them. Even if it’s 93 minutes of pure frustration followed by 2 minutes of joy.

There weren’t many great or even good performances in the game. Though many players seemed to be suffering from fatigue which is where Steve Bruce laid most of the blame for the disappointing display.

Well, that and the fact that the team was still missing some critical players. It was evident in the players that were on the bench, which had four defenders as well as two youngsters.

But this is what this team is at the moment, and you can’t help but pull for them. It’s not great to watch, but they have something about them that they are rarely out of games.

The poll for this match reflects the way the game unfolded. It was all about the final couple of minutes. In that time, Florian Lejeune scored his first two goals for Newcastle to claim the unlikeliest of points.

Of the 2613 votes, Lejeune collected 1662 for 64% to easily win his first best player poll this season. Martin Dubravka came in a distant second with 17% of the vote.

However, without Martin’s contribution in the first 90 minutes, Newcastle would have had no chance of getting this glorious point. But this game was all about what Florian did in the Everton box in the final minutes.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In 2-2 Draw At Everton?

• Florian Lejeune (64%, 1,662 )
  • Martin Dubravka (17%, 433 )
  • Miguel Almiron (11%, 296 )
  • Matt Ritchie (3%, 67 )
  • Federico Fernandez (1%, 24 )
  • Fabian Schar (1%, 18 )
  • Isaac Hayden (1%, 18 )
  • Ciaran Clark (1%, 17 )
  • Jamaal Lascelles (1%, 16 )
  • Joelinton (1%, 16 )
  • Matty Longstaff (1%, 16 )
  • Sean Longstaff (0%, 11 )
  • Emil Krafth (0%, 11 )
  • Christian Atsu (0%, 8 )

Total Voters: 2,613

Loading ... Loading ...

• droppy in Wallsend

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:05 PM

Still buzzing over that ridiculous 100 seconds and the ensuing T-Rex tantrum.

Looking at Wolves, Chelsea and Everton I expected maybe 2-3 points so to take 5 is fantastic.

We’re an ugly side to watch but if it gets points on the board especially with the horrendous injuries then so be it. Bruce was never my first choice but he’s getting more fight out of the squad than the comments section on here. And that’s saying something.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:10 PM

droppy in Wallsend,
    How is he getting more fight out of the squad, we’ve had about six implosion already and a seriously bad -GD?

• RobLeenio

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:11 PM

Not sure it’s been mentioned, but Danny Rose wasn’t even in the Spurs squad tonight, let alone in the starting 11.

Interesting?

• carltoon

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:13 PM

Wouldn’t mind Danny Rose.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:15 PM

That Farley impressionist on You Tube does a better impression of Daniel Farke than Daniel Farke does.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:16 PM

Jail

I think fight and spirit are there for anyone to see, three injury time goals in past two games.

Just an opinion, it’s allowed.

Would I rather see free flowing football? Obviously.

Would I rather we had kept Rafa, Ayoze, Rondon? Absolutely.

This is what we have and even though I don’t have a season ticket anymore I will always want my team to win. And I enjoy it when they do.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:18 PM

carltoon,
    I’d like us to buy him rather than loan him till the end of the season then take a chance on a Mbwia, Mbemba or Santon type, footballers these days are playing much later in life and we need to ditch this under 25 malarkey.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:23 PM

droppy,
    I never asked you that, it’s obvious there’s a fighting spirit in the team but how is Bruce getting more, based on what?

• RobLeenio

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:24 PM

Droppy, for what it’s worth, I think this team is full of fight too, it’s not only its defining characteristic but also its redeeming feature.

The reason we’ve conceded more goals than last season is that we’ve had injuries to Lascelles, Dummett, Lejeune, Willems, Manquillo, Ritchie, Yedlin and Krafth. Maybe Schaer and Clark, too – I’ve lost track by this point.

No coincidence that our defensive resilience has increased particularly with the return of Lascelles, the guy is our rock.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:25 PM

More points obviously but how is there more fighting spirit, how many times have we thrown the towel in already this season. Norwich, Leicester twice, Brighton at home, Everton at home?

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:27 PM

I think the injury to Krafth has helped our GD immeasurably!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:28 PM

The U23s beat Newcastle Benfield in the Northumberland Senior Cup tonight on penalties.

Tom Allan played as Did Victor Fernandes, he came on as a sub and then went off after 9 minutes with a hamstring injury, not having much luck!

Team

Newcastle United Under-23s: Jake Turner, Ryan Barrett, Lewis Cass, Jude Swailes, Ludwig Francillette, Oliver Walters, Jack Young, Elliot Anderson (Victor Fernández 57 (Joe White 64)), Adam Wilson (Rosaire Longelo 57), Tom Allan, Yannick Touré.

Subs not used: George Rounsfell, Oliver Marshall.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:28 PM

Jail

Read the full comment

More than the comments on here, which quite frankly are getting embarrassing.

For the record I was a huge fan of Rafa, but I also accept he wasn’t perfect.

I still have my doubts over Bruce but you can’t argue with the points on the board, it’s a well known fact that he’s not the real issue.

As I said I’m not thrilled with the football but it is what it is, and that mad 100 seconds is one of many reasons I love the game.

• RobLeenio

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:28 PM

Phil Neville on MoTD “Chelsea should have had Newcastle dead and buried”

Obviously hasn’t watched the match – they barely had a clear chance all game. The issue for them then wasn’t converting chances, it was creating them.

Tool!

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:30 PM

Man U away.
    I’m not having it that Bruce is responsible for this “newfound” togetherness. He most definitely deserves credit for keeping it going but it’s not a newly implemented trait thisvsquad has.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:32 PM

Robleenio

Yeah heard Phil say that and wondered why I never noticed the 50 chances they created.

The man is a wet duvet.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:32 PM

Droppy,
    I read the full comment and that’s why I left my comment. Why do you think Bruce is getting more fighting spirit.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:35 PM

Jail

Are you deliberately missing the point?

I said more fight than you see on here.

Not everyone on here wants the whole keyboard warrior battle, I find it laughable, chill out man.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:36 PM

Did the 3-2 against Everton not happen last season or equalizing twice against Lpool or beating Man City after going behind. We had a team full of compete w@nkers three years ago, was this fighting spirit borne over night or in context in Brucie’s short pre season??

• droppy in Wallsend

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:43 PM

Jail

What part don’t you get?

I was praising the battling qualities and jokingly comparing them to the incessant petty squabbles on here.

Not at any point have I said Bruce has created more fighting spirit than Rafa or anyone else.

I posted a comment, an opinion that’s all. I don’t have to justify myself to you or anyone else. I’m certainly not about to get dragged into the nonsense that occurs on here far too regularly.

• RobLeenio

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:55 PM

I’ve watched highlights from Sky, nufc.co.uk, on YouTube and now on the BBC and not one single set of highlights has shown the clear chance that Joelinton had in the first half.

I guess it doesn’t fit the narrative.

Also and similarly, how many times have I seen the stat that we only had two shots on target? We scored two goals and Schaer had a shot on target in the build up to the first and Hayden had a shot on target in the build up to the second.

It’s misrepresentation, at the end of the day. Our lads deserve full credit, not some smarmy ar$ehole paying lip service to them and implying that we’re awful.

• Munster Mag

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:57 PM

Jail, this is ridiculous. You hide behind the fact (?) that you don’t slag off Bruce, yet disagree with any and every positive point made by Droppy and others. Nobody is over praising Bruce but he has accumulated more points thus far than Rafa at this point, and the spirit is huge. But you only credit Rafa. Sorry, but that’s hugely unfair.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:59 PM

Robleenio

It was 2-2, that’s the stat they can’t take away and the one that matters.

I get your point though it’s funny how lopsided these things are.

One constant though is how utterly hilarious it was seeing Pickford flailing about at the death and then having a tantrum. That will never stop being funny.

• giimps

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:01 AM

Rob, we were awful for the most part, Everton played through us due to only having 2 midfielders (i dont think it would have mattered who they were, we couldnt get close to Bernard until we put Hayden in there to block the holes, Atsu and Joe were too isolated and did nothing to make themselves available for the ball, Miggy was ….his usual self, playing between our 6 yard box and theirs, but theres only so much he can do without help……..

• giimps

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:05 AM

I do agree though, the media seem to have an agenda , but let them , between them and the Refs, we dont have many friends in football…….siege mentality it is then

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:09 AM

Munster,
    Did I not just say that Bruce deserves credit for keeping the fighting spirit going, did you not see that?

• Munster Mag

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:12 AM

Giimps, the philosophy of the manager is important, and neither Steve nor rafa would be known for progressive stylish football with high energy and high press. That said. Everton played much better football, but their players are generally better than ours. Out of 11, 7 0f theirs might be considered better than our guys. Feel free to disagree etc

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:14 AM

I think I remember Oldham beating Man U or nearly beating them at Old Trafford, it was massive news. Now it just seems the norm that teams can go there and get a result. Fergie has a lot to answer for by insisting a dour Scot had to replace him, an even worse signing than Djemba Djemba.

• Munster Mag

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:17 AM

Bruce you have said before that the previous manager is responsible for the spirit. Others have said the same. Rafa may have started it, but you can’t attribute the drive in the players last night, to rafa. That’s just erroneous. ( look it up OP)

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:17 AM

Munster Mag,
    Again, why did you not factor in the three 40M+ players and five 20M+ players being better than ours when slating our performance two seasons ago?

• Munster Mag

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:18 AM

Who was Co-commenting on sky last night?

• NY Mag

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:18 AM

RobL,

If you’ve watched the highlights multiple times maybe you can help me with something that I was puzzled about (I saw the game live and watched the link that you provided last night for the last 2 mins)

From my recollection, when lejeune scored the first goal neither he nor the rest of the lads particularly celebrated (it was if they thought, ok consolation goal only – can’t blame them for that)
    But by the time Everton kicked-off I distinctly remember three players absolutely racing to close down the ball (I think it was miggy, Matty and Shaun).

So, something appears to have changed in the ‘belief’ of the players between scoring the first goal and when Everton kicked-off. Did something happen that I missed?

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:23 AM

I didn’t Munster that would be demagogic of me, you’re factually accurate.

• droppy in Wallsend

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:23 AM

Munster

Sounded very much like Andy Hinchcliffe to me. Ex Everton so totally impartial as always

• RobLeenio

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:25 AM

NY Mag, evening matey. I can’t think of anything specific, but you’re right, the tails were up, morale was boosted.

Maybe just put it down to adrenaline? I felt bad for Lejeune not feeling like he could celebrate his first goal for the club. Think he kinda made up for it with his celebration for the second.

😉

• giimps

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:25 AM

Personally, i think its a combination of things, who we are up against , the players available, the immediate future games and most of all, the state of the players we put out (mentally and Physically)
    We have just had 4 games in 9 days, have loads of injuries to all areas of the squad (other than keeper) ,we have another game in 4 days (albeit vs lower league opposition)
    All these things must be taken in consideration by whoever is in charge, Ancelloti has 10 days off till their next game so could get his players to high press knowing they would have ample time to recover before their next game)
    We on the other hand were playing injured players due to squad depth, we had players who were not match fit coming back, all these things must be going through whoever is managing’s head , but there are only 2 games they should be worrying about….the one were playing and the next one, one game at a time ….whoever manages, whatever their philosophy , they can only p!ss with the c0ck theyv’e got,

• droppy in Wallsend

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:28 AM

Giimps

All good points.

And a fantastic turn of phrase.

• TomaKaThor

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:29 AM

I would love to sign Rose on loan for 6 months and sign Willems permanent.

• NY Mag

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:29 AM

RobL,

I hope whatever ‘clicked’ in the mentality carries over to the next game 🙂

• giimps