web analytics

Bruce Concerned Over Contract Stalemate With Young Magpie

Luke Edwards, with the Telegraph, has written a report about Steve Bruce’s growing concerns over the contract situation with Matty Longstaff, who has just five months remaining on his deal.

With Matty’s contract not being sorted before this year, Newcastle run the risk of the 19-year-old leaving the club in the summer for just £400,000 in compensation. Matty has been free to talk to clubs in Europe since the beginning of the year.

There have already been some rumblings that Inter Milan are interested in the young midfielder. The stalemate in talks with Newcastle have reached a point where now Steve Bruce has grown worried about it.

This is what Steve had to say about the lack of progress on a new contract for Matty Longstaff:

“It’s a concern for us all, of course it is. I hope we can get that tied up, I really do.

“But they’ve got the power these days, the players. We see it often now, with young players as well.

“I hope there’s a bit of common sense. There’s nobody, at 19, played more games than [Matty]. He’s got an opportunity. If he’s fit, he plays (against Oxford).

“Look, we always want to keep our best young players, especially if they’re Geordies, of course. Let’s hope they both get tied up. I leave all that up to Lee Charnley.

“In all of it, with Matty in particular, at 19, he has now played 11, 12 times. I’ve dipped him in and out. I can’t see another 19-year-old playing (so regularly at PL level).”

In the Telegraph report, Edwards cites Newcastle’s reluctance to offer Matty’s brother Sean better terms as a possible reason that Matty has yet to sign an extension.

We hope that is not the case, as both are in different situations. Sean signed a new deal towards the end of 2018. While he outplayed that contract in the first few months of last year, he’s been very inconsistent this season.

Despite Manchester United’s interest over the summer, Sean has not played his way into getting the terms he is likely seeking.

He may deserve improved terms over his current contract, but he has not performed to a level that would make him worthy of being one of the highest paid players at the club. Not yet in any case.

Hopefully, Matty will relent and agree on an extension with Newcastle. Sean will get his new deal, but he has to be patient as he’s already signed long-term, and there are higher priority players that need to be extended at the moment.

Not least of which is his younger brother, who has been one of the bright spots of this campaign. Young Matty has scored three excellent goals this season and hopefully, he will get more opportunities to add to his tally.

We should see both Matty and Sean tomorrow in the midfield together at Oxford.

What Will Be The Result Against Oxford In The FA Cup Replay?

• Win (57%, 1,620 )
  • Loss (43%, 1,202 )

Total Voters: 2,822

Loading ... Loading ...

• c-dog

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:36 PM

Should read…

Bruce concerned with Ashley not willing to pay young Matty what he deserves

• toon22

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:40 PM

Agreed

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:41 PM

Geordie Tom

Aye, Lewis is a mackem too

Long time mate

• toon22

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:41 PM

As all things with Jabba
    He’s not arsed about any long term benefit to the club
    He wants everything that’s not nailed down for himself

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:44 PM

Rob

I got all of those, no doubt we’ve been supping at the same time.

Big fan of Nord. Left luggage is great too.

C dog

No, I know the owners of all 3 very well. Lewis is a long time mate and a real good bloke, despite being a mackem. I get to buy his son Nufc kit though

🙂

• BlacknWhiteBarmy

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:45 PM

I thought lucky Brucie was in charge of players – that what he claimed when he got the gig

I would of thought FatAsh is bricking it – loosing his next sale pieces for free

would not blame either of them for going – especially with some of the stick the ‘fans’ have been dishing out

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:45 PM

Rob

Get in

• c-dog

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:50 PM

BlacknWhiteBarmy

Ashley is very much hands on with the club
    To the point where he personally mach 3’s shelveys head time save a tenner

• Bring back benitez

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:50 PM

#hatsoftocharnley

• DubaiMicky

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:51 PM

#Cans!

• Bambams

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:53 PM

JohnJ (from previous thread)

Can you remember the BH Mondays down whitley bay early 90’s !!!!!!

It was FANTASTIC…..

I doubt it would get back to those days, but it would be great for the younger ones to have both Whitley and Tynemouth.

I like the ‘Micro Bars’ now in Whitley, just a bit different to Idols and Rio’s back in the day

🙂

• Dondatta13

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:53 PM

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:55 PM

The Split chimp is canny, bit out the way from the others.

Is it the rabbit and hound, proper little boozer.

• Jib

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:58 PM

Ashley moving away from tat with this Fraser acquisition
    Perhaps the pursuit of Boubakary Soumaré is evidence he’s moving NUFC away from tat

• DubaiMicky

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:10 PM

Jib, ashLIE fills the Fraser Group stores full of his SD stuff, gets rid of the concessions etc.

He’s pulling them down to sd level, not raising to Fraser Group level.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:16 PM

JohnJ
    Rangers game was at the back of the Leazes End that game and when they charged across the field quite scary.
    Thing that I remembered most was how high they climbed the lighting pylons
    Scarfs
    I had a black n white college style black scarf with thinwhite stripes lengthways with the crest on the front
    Loved it pity they don’t make them or bring out retro version

• Tramp

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:17 PM

Ed/Neil/Wife

As I understand the problem with viewing the blog on mobile device has already been brought up RE the comments sitting over to the left of the screen chopping off some of the words.

I’m also experiencing a missing/invisible LOG IN link and when I finally fid manage to log in it would not let me type anything, I couldn’t click in the the comments box, it just wouldn’t register.

Have had to resort to viewing as a desktop site which resolves the problems but is horrible to use.

Apologies if already brought up and you’re aware.

For reference, I am using android.

As with young Matty, if he was my family/friend/associate/bumped in to him I would tell him to do what is sensible, leave and find a club with some ambition with the hope that one day your club will be ambitious again by which time we will all welcome you back in a heartbeat, in the meantime, get gone lad.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:19 PM

The pursuit of Boubakary Soumaré ha ha ha,
    Here Allan, show this kid the wheelie bins. Don’t make me footin laugh. Let’s stick a bid in so Brucie can tell them some good news in February to soften the blow of not getting a much needed striker. FFS.

• Bambams

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:21 PM

Tramp…

I was experiencing exactly the same with my mobile, thought my phone was on the blink

• Jib

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:23 PM

Bonehead
    It was all over French ports media we’d agreed a price with Lille OSC

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:23 PM

And my, it really was good news wasn’t it, a player we never got being the highlight of the window for one particular poster. The same poster that compares our dislike of Mikey to the genocide of six million jews!!!

• Jib

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:23 PM

sports media

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:23 PM

Was he not meant to be MBS first signing?

😉

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:25 PM

Jiblets,
    But had anyone actually asked the player if he wanted to come here and play for 40K a week or whatever their cap is these days.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:25 PM

Not a camel or flying carpet in sight.

• simon376

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:25 PM

Micky
    Your Cans, comment, does that mean anything?

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:26 PM

Did Brucie fly over to meet him, explain the role he’d play in the team, highlight our plans and ambitions and the exciting future that lay ahead of him. How seriously did they try and sign the lad.

• Anglo Saxon

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:27 PM

does MBS stand for More Bull Shite?

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:27 PM

Has the lad even heard of Steve Bruce, I doubt it very much.

• Jib

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:28 PM

Not the point
    Bonehead

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:38 PM

Munster will be along soon so Crabbe and Goyle can both call me bonehead, that’ll show me, how footin old are you now Jiblets, nearly eighty and going on like that ffs, give it a rest will you.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:39 PM

I know I’m doing a jib but it’s LOSE not LOOSE !!!

• Jib

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:39 PM

My name isn’t jiblets – bonehead

• Jib

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:40 PM

I thought I was doing a Ron when correcting spelling

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:40 PM

Oh but it is very much the point Jibbers, bidding and agreeing a price is one thing, then trying to get the player to sign on low wages is another thing all together.

• Jib

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:42 PM

bonehead – it is not jibbers either
    OK bonehead

• RobLeenio

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:42 PM

I’m finding the same with the site both on Android and on Windows desktop. When you can’t log in, you can go back to a previous post and generally log in there. Similarly, the problem with the text box tends to be less bad on the first page of comments on a post, so you can go back to that to post your comment. Not ideal, but it’s a workaround.

Finally, copying and pasting is really difficult – you can’t swipe across a bunch of text on desktop at the moment, if it’s your own comment you’re editing – again, issues with the text box.

I wonder if the text box issues are actually resizing the mobile page so that the left side of the text is cut off?

Just trying to bring it to the venerable Harrison clan’s attention – not a big issue, just an ease of use thing.

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:42 PM

Jibbers,
    Jiblets suits you, it sounds a bit like Giblets don’t you think.

• Jib

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:43 PM

It didn’t even get to the stage of talking wages
    boneheaded ignoramus

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 3, 2020 at 6:44 PM

I guess being the jelly brained fool that you are Jibbers, you’ve had all the bones removed from your neanderthal like skull.