web analytics

Newcastle Target Talks Of Premier League Ambition

Newcastle were at Griffin Park on Saturday watching Brentford trio Said Benrahma, Bryan Mbeumo, and Ollie Watkins take on Middlesbrough. Both Mbeumo and Watkins scored in the game while another one of our reported targets Marcus Tavernier got an assist for the visitors.

After the 3-2 Brentford win, Said Benrahma spoke to BBC Sport about all the attention he is receiving from Premier League clubs.

This is what the 24-year-old had to say:

“For the moment I am focused on Brentford. This summer, I will see but for the moment I am so focused here.

“I am happy, I play, I score, I win, it’s a good position so I am happy. For the moment I am here.

“My ambition is to play in the premier league. That’s my first ambition. It’s the first step and then continue to progress.

“If I go into the Premier League God willing with Brentford or…. I don’t know but my ambition is premier league.”

Benrahma doesn’t reveal anything unexpected in these comments. Of course, he would harbor ambitions to play at the highest level.

However, right now he’s fighting to help Brentford achieve promotion this season. The Bees are in an excellent position with 15 games left to go.

They are fifth but only two points behind an automatic promotion spot with by far the best goal difference in the Championship.

Benrahma has a good chance of achieving his ambition with Brentford by season’s end. However, if that doesn’t happen, he’ll have plenty of Premier League teams looking to bring him in this summer.

Newcastle have recently been linked to the Algerian international though Aston Villa and Chelsea are also said to be very interested.

A lot will depend on how Brentford fare over the next three months. If they do get promoted, his loyalty could still be tested, but it’ll be that much harder to pry him away.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:48 PM

Dyer and Jenas were never out the clubs.

More likely drinking Goldfish bowls than living in one.

• Bring back benitez

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:49 PM

What’s so good about living in Liverpool? Or even Manchester? The crime Liverpool is horrible, shootings quite often.

Football players homes getting robbed, even Kenny dalglish had a hand grenade left outside his home.

Newcastle is way better than Liverpool

• investinyouthtoon

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:50 PM

Bills Son can I ask you a question?
    MA has not allowed access to the books by an independent group ie magpie group, this is despite MA saying he would and would even pay for them to do so. Why has he not allowed anybody access despite several requests which has been delivered to SJP? What is he hiding? Is he cooking the books? It sure seems that he is afraid somebody will find something dodgy either that or MA has renaged on his own words.

I ask you for your opinion, as that article last week where the term “squirming” was used to describe MA’s current tactics and you took it personally as if it was aimed at you. That word would only hit a nerve if you were either MA or someone close to him. Please explain why you took offence to the article by Ed

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 10, 2020 at 5:57 PM

I’d like to think if we had new ambitious owners they’d be looking at players who were established and were proper pros.

Players who wanted to come here to progress their careers and the fortunes of the club.

Not young mavericks looking to go on the piss with super models and the local girl band.

A proper run football club would look at the attitudes and behaviour of any potential player they were thinking of buying.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:00 PM

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:03 PM

Aston Villa could be screwed if they go down.

• DaveD1000

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:07 PM

Optimus Prime

There would be nothing sweeter

• DaveD1000

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:08 PM

brainfart was multi tasking

• Bills Son Is Back

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:20 PM

Invest,

I agree completely that having said he would allow fans to scrutinise the accounts Ashley should do so.

As for squirming, that was related to takeovers and suggesting Ashley will squirm his way out of any deal.

That is just another myth without any foundation in fact. Read the Chron article, why would Ashley spend nearly a million on legal fees for the Kenyon bid if he wanted to squirm out of a deal? It’s nonsense.
    peurile.
    I keep saying, I want Ashley out asap.

But making up nonsense and printing it as if it were fact is just puerile.

• investinyouthtoon

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:23 PM

Onto football, would be a cracking signing Benrahma as would ollie watkins. However both would probably stay there if they are promoted this season and would go to a premier league club with ambition if Brentford aren’t promoted. Sadly under MA and his lackeys this club don’t strive for improvement and ambition.

• geordietom

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:24 PM

BILLS # 54 previous thread …

i read it mate but we had this when it first broke some professor who studles/ lectures about the middle east came out with something similar mate they are just picking at straws IMO …

i still believe that the takeover is on going .

• investinyouthtoon

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:29 PM

Ok Bills Son I see where you were coming from. Do you agree or disagree that with PIF and reuben brothers involved if a takeover fails to materialise that the blame should lie solely with MA due to either unwillingness to sell, spite towards the fans or his greed? Basically if he can’t sell to these guys who in this world has the pockets deep enough to pay him an exorbitant amount and take the club forward, answer sadly is nobody.

• Jimmy Mac74

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:32 PM

I think what Bills Son is implying is that only if we have concrete evidence that a super rich buyer came in and was turned down, could we then start calling MA obstructive to a sale. So far all the sale talk is nowt more than crap on twitter and journalists trying to sell papers with anything.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:33 PM

Bills

Again you’re picking cherries, rotten ones.

Where does it say Ashley spent a million on legal fees for the Kenyon
    bid?

IT DOESN’T

I’ve reread the article, I suggest you do too, you may understand it better second time.

You starting your OWN MYTHS now?

I’m happy for you to cut and paste the paragraph from the article.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:36 PM

They point to Ashley’s own expenditure on legal costs over the last 24 months as proof that he is serious about selling. When Kenyon first came to the table in December 2018, Ashley had spent – through lawyers – close to a seven figure sum on costs.

I’ll save you the trouble.

Doesn’t suggest Ashley spent a million on the Kenyon bid to me, does it to you?

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:40 PM

To me, prior to Kenyon sitting down Ashley had already spent a million trying to sell the club.

Which in turn points to why theres now a £250,000 fee now.

As it suggests in the article.

• investinyouthtoon

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:41 PM

Jimmy Mac74 it would be nice to separate fact from fiction, however we never hear anything from MA. So when wall Street journal etc report the saudi’s being in talks we have to believe it due to being a reputable source so imo I believe they are interested especially given the silence from both sides. It’s not like MBS would let his name be slung about by MA if there was nothing going on.

• Bills Son Is Back

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:44 PM

OP,

Stop splitting hairs.

The point is…

Why would Ashley spend close to 7 figures on legal fees in ANY takeover if he wasn’t a serious seller.

Simples innit.

• Jimmy Mac74

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:47 PM

investinyouthtoon – that’s the problem though isn’t it. If all parties say nothing then they could be in talks and have an NDA in place. Or it could be complete rubbish and all parties don’t even consider it worth their time denying it. Or there may have been talks that broke down and part of the initial agreement is that no party can disclose information in the event of such thing. To preserve my sanity I work by the rule that everything is just another rumour not worth consideration until that wonderful official statement is releasing saying that we’ve been sold to some super, turbo rich bloke who want’s to spend bzillions on us.

• Bills Son Is Back

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:48 PM

Invest,

If Ashley is proven to have led/or leads any buyer up the garden path who has paid the £250K due diligence fee then I’ll gladly join in the condemnation.

• Anglo Saxon

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:57 PM

OK got through the pandemonium of the day some sh*te from bsib as per usual, see you been in advertisement,
    was that with EBAY or GUMTREE.
    Also, you asked me a question that I put to your boyfriend Lee/Jib.
    You still haven’t answered so just got back give me a little while before I set about you OK.

• investinyouthtoon

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:57 PM

Jimmy Mac74 and Bills son, that’s the thing with Nda’s that nobody can say anything probably the reason Staveley couldn’t comment in prev takeover. So in essence we only have MA version of events in terms of staged interviews and they cannot be trusted as he portrays the victim in all of this. A proven liar cannot be trusted.

• Anglo Saxon

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:59 PM

answered My question

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:04 PM

Bill’s

If I was a potential buyer and read that article I’d think it would be a difficult to impossible task to buy the club.

If Ashley’s claims are true about the fees he’s spent I’d be thinking of the other potential buyers.

They must have spent atleast double or treble in fees to what Ashley has, possibly even more.

All their solicitors fees, accountants, buisness experts, football experts builders etc etc, they’d want to know everything and their expenditure would far exceed the sellers.

So I’d ask myself why have all these buyers walked?

Why does he want £250,000

Why doest it appear he changes the goal posts?

My conclusion would be he doesn’t really want or need to sell the club and would be unwilling to let the club go without retaining some hold in/on it via advertising or merchandising.

So I’d probably turn my attention elsewhere.

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:06 PM

Can completely believe that Bsib is in advertising, he’s constantly trying to tell us he wants MA gone but won’t have a single bad word said about him and loves to paint him out as some kind of hero.

The same old arguments go on and on.

Planewatch is still a bit desperate.

Nobody actually seems to have any facts regarding takeover/fakeover.

The Harrisons continue to work hard bringing us anything and everything toon whilst we await some actual football.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:17 PM

And divnae forget the charter fees for all the planes Rob keeps spotting.

• Jamaal Dubravka

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:30 PM

Well from all the planewatch news that’s come out today I’m even more convinced this is happening. 😉

• DubaiMicky

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:47 PM

G’night all – I lurk a lot…

• jane

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:50 PM

Amanda and Mike to the Saudis: if you could fly a plane to Newcastle that would be great.

• beermonkey

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:32 PM

come on bill how long till the next match

• RobLeenio

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:34 PM

OP “And divnae forget the charter fees for all the planes Rob keeps spotting”

Christ yeah, that’s a fortune right away….

Actually can’t claim credit for the plane today, was totally ripped off’ve tw@tter. I just brought it to the attention of the blog.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:35 PM

Rob

It’s my plane, keep it quiet though

• RobLeenio

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:38 PM

Droppy surely we’re all desperate when it comes to Ashley selling?

One day our (absurdly rich oil magnate bored looking for a project to pass some time and doesn’t care how much it costs) Prince will come.

And he won’t be arriving by flying carpet or even booking it up the A1 in a limo.

I always say might be nothing, might be something, it’s up to you lot to make of it what you want.

• RobLeenio

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:40 PM

I knew it, ever since you told us about them parrots in Heaton park, you’re obsessed with flying things.

You’re a dark (flying) horse…

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:45 PM

Rob

Hahahahaha, I enjoy the plane banter.

As likely a place for a break in the story as anywhere.

I’m still more than sceptical.

The blog night shift should re do the Green day track “when September ends” but with the lyrics “when the takeover ends”

Give all the dollar to the food bank.

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:47 PM

Robleenio

It wasnt a criticism more an observation.

You know how desperate we all are for info when planes become interesting

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 10, 2020 at 8:52 PM

Also I don’t care if a new owner arrives by plane, limousine, flying carpet or being sneezed into existence during my wife’s latest cold, the bugger just needs to hurry the fluff up!

• MagpieRanger

Feb 10, 2020 at 9:00 PM

If only Ashley didn’t move the goalposts we might have gotten taken over

• RobLeenio

Feb 10, 2020 at 9:07 PM

Micky “Who was it who said ‘Build it and they will come’?”

Jim Morrison, Wayne’s World 2, 1993