web analytics

Two Newcastle Wingers In Action On Loan Tonight

Jacob Murphy came on for a late cameo in Sheffield Wednesday’s 1-0 defeat at Luton Town. Jacob had enjoyed a string of 5 league starts in his 6 games. However, he’s come on around the 70th-minute mark for the last two appearances. The Owls remain in the 12th spot in the Championship and are now winless in their last five. Murphy has made a total of 29 appearances with 4 goals and an assist during his loan spell.

Rolando Aarons made his third start for Motherwell in their 2-1 defeat at St Johnstone. It looked like it was headed for a draw but Christopher Kane grabbed a stoppage-time winner for St Johnstone. Rolando was substituted in the 84th minute for Liam Polworth after Christy Manzinga was sent off with a second yellow. Motherwell now drop behind Aberdeen for that coveted third position which qualifies for a Europa League place.

• WLtoon

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:04 PM

We should cut our losses on Murphy, maybe sell him for 5M
    Disappointed how its turned out for Aarons, he showed so much promise a few years back, injuries have hampered his progress, and maybe a bit of a dodgy attitude.
    Takeover still on ?

• Captain AmeriMag

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:20 PM

Murphy and Aarons out, Bale and Sterling in.

Simple Saudinomics

• lochinvar

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:26 PM

Looks like Rangers have pissed away any chance of winning the Scottish Premiership loosing two late goals to go down 2-1 away to Kilmarnock. Celtic now 10 points clear.

Expect Gerrard to be thinking about managing in England before too long.

• WLtoon

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:32 PM

Captain AmeriMag

still pretty bullish i see lol,
    got to find out sooner rather than later re takeover, this waiting game is no good for anxiety sufferers 🙂

• WLtoon

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:34 PM

At one point i thought Rangers might of pipped the Hoops for the title but same old story in the end.

• Munster Mag

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:46 PM

Shame 🙂

• RobLeenio

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:47 PM

Time for some daft speculation.

Massimilliano Allegri has a ‘deal in place with a great English club’ and is unlikely to go back to either Juve or AC Milan.

Now, everyone is speculating that he’s likely to replace OGS at Man U, but the description is odd. You’d normally call them ‘one of the World’s biggest clubs’ or ‘one of the top clubs in England’. These latter couldn’t be used for NUFC, but a ‘great English club’, given our history and a potentially radiant future under new owners, well that might just fit.

Given he’s known for a pragmatic style of football, would he be anyone’s first choice to replace Bruce? He’s won five Serie A Championships on the bounce and 4 Copa Italias in 4 seasons with Juve, to add to a Serie A Championship with AC Milan, so his CV is undoubtedly amazing. Also, a pragmatic style would no doubt suit our current squad also.

What do people think? Hypothetically, of course.

• FloridaToon(SDFC)

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:54 PM

Rob

I see you aren’t buying its a fakeover. lol

• FloridaToon(SDFC)

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:56 PM

Playing for Steve Bruce at Aston Villa:

“It is a massive club but I never got going at Villa.
    “The injury was a terrible time, then I couldn’t get into the side.
    “Steve Bruce wasn’t my cup of tea.
    “The football was similar to Tony Pulis but at least Tony had a plan.
    “I remember Steve would throw the ball into the middle in training and say, ‘Let’s play’, like we were under-nines.
    “It was crazy.”

• RobLeenio

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:01 PM

FloridaToon, I think the attempt to buy is real, the unknown is Ashley, I’ve been consistent about that since the leak broke.

I don’t think it will definitely happen, but I think there is a chance that it might. I don’t go for conspiracies that involve complicity from Pulitzer Prize winning journalists and one of the richest families in the World in the games of a petty little barrow boy like Ashley.

So, that said, what would you think of Allegri? To be able to attract a manager of his calibre would be a massive coup, but I do think there would be some regret over more pragmatic football.

• NY Mag

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:02 PM

RobL,

Interesting quote re:allegri
    Context / description sounds a little strange, however, what if it was translated from Italian? Does that change anything?

• FloridaToon(SDFC)

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:07 PM

Rob

No harm intended just having some fun. I’m trying to stay optimistic myself. For Allegri, I must admit I don’t know much about him or his style, but his CV seems outstanding (though many on here don’t care ala Rafa). If anyone was available I would prefer Poch. but I would have zero issues with someone with his caliber. You say his style is a bit pragmatic but personally I wouldn’t be bothered by that.

• jane

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:07 PM

re-posting this now the clever people are here:

“The Saudi’s would provide 80% of the funds while Staveley’s PCP Capital and the Reuben Brothers would provide 10% each. The group would also pump £200m into the club to push us forward.”

just a thought if the Saudi’s are prepared to plough loads of money in and make a loss would PCP Capital and the Reuben Brothers make a loss too?

• RobLeenio

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:11 PM

NY Mag, fair point, I think the original story is from Corrierre dello Sport, so defo a translation. Maybe something was missed there, some subtlety of language.

The other thing to consider is that Pochettino was seen with a Man U official at the Brentford Leeds match last night, suggesting that he might be the guy to replace OGS.

• FloridaToon(SDFC)

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:12 PM

Rob

If a deal was in place, I would assume its for the summer. If we speculate that its OGS what happens if ManU go on a tear this second half and finish 3rd or 4th? Would they still show him the door??

• RobLeenio

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:14 PM

FloridaToon, no need to explain yourself, I didn’t take any offence – have a thick skin over here. Hope my response didn’t come across as defensive, it wasn’t meant to be.

Everyone’s on edge about the Sheikhover, people have strong opinions but it’s not worth falling out over. I just like to speculate on the ‘what if’ aspect of things – so much more interesting than just saying ‘it’s never going to happen’.

• RobLeenio

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:18 PM

jane, yes they would also make a loss. If the Saudis are putting their money in to back the purchase, they would expect the Reubens and Staveley to have skin in the game too, so that they know their investment is going to be looked after.

My question is would the 10% Staveley and the Reubens would put forward ‘just’ £35M (10% of the purchase price) or would it also be 10% of any war chest that the Saudis made available? If that’s say £200M, then the 10% stake would be over £50M. That’s a hell of a chunk for someone like Staveley to risk, so she’ll be super motivated to make this work.

• RobLeenio

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:20 PM

FloridaToon, that would seem harsh, for sure. Similarly, if Bruce got NUFC to 8th (definitely possible, only 4 points off), would it be harsh to ditch him?

I would say yes, but I’ve always valued loyalty which is a bit old fashioned in football.

• FloridaToon(SDFC)

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:24 PM

Rob

That makes me wonder about what you posted, given the translation could be off, who could already have a deal in place with?? As for Bruce, 8th or not he needs to go.

• RobLeenio

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:29 PM

I dunno, I think 8th with a brand new and arguably ineffective front line (in terms of goals) in his first season is enough to warrant another season. I’ve said all along that the time to judge Bruce is next January when he’s had two transfer windows and a full season and a half to make the team his own, assuming no disasters.

I still think results so far have been decent and the team should develop through the second half of the season now they know each other better and have strengthened in key areas.

Granted, the footy has been pap and that needs to improve too.

• Munster Mag

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:31 PM

None of the key players have thrown cold water on this. That’s still important. I’m gonna keep beleevin

• FloridaToon(SDFC)

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:33 PM

Rob

You are a kind soul for sure. Even as we sit in 12th, its in spite of Bruce not because of him we are there. Not trying to have a Bruce bash but my opinion of him hasn’t changed since day 1 and I doubt it ever will.

• NY Mag

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:38 PM

Jane

Re your question

I don’t think anyone would be planning on making a loss, it would be an investment that would be expected to return more than was ‘put in’ at some point in the future 🙂

• NY Mag

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:42 PM

RobL,

I kinda agree with you about Bruce, he’s doing far better (points wise at least) than most people predicted. However, if there is a takeover with significant investment, then he’s pretty much history.

• RobLeenio

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:53 PM

Yep, that’s the reality of the matter – and modern football in general.

The new guys will want a prestige manager if they take over. Bruce doesn’t fit that mould.

• WLtoon

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:55 PM

The fact that none of the main players in the alleged takeover have distanced themselves from the deal is the only reason i am trying to believe there is a chance of it happening.
    I think though, if nothing has been announced by the end of this month then maybe we should all forget it .

• NY Mag

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:57 PM

RobL,

I’m sure Bruce would expect it, after all he has himself left many clubs in order to further his career.
    It would actually be quite ironic, the one thing Ashley is not – is being trigger happy with managers.

• NY Mag

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:59 PM

WLtoon,

I think it was Hibbet who said it (and I completely agree)
    It would make no sense for anyone to purchase us until we are mathematically safe.

• Nicky the ball tosser

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:02 AM

You’d surely judge Bruce over a career’s work in management, with greatest weight given to his last say 5 years. I think he’s a decent manager, but if it were possible to upgrade to an Allegri calibre manager to protect and develop a 550 million quid investment, with more needed to follow, if you wanted CL football, then you’d think new owners would certainly do it.

Hypothetically speaking that is, given I’m glass half full on the prospects of a takeover, at least to mega rich owners, with cash to “throw” around, despite being ever hopeful, and a PIF doesn’t really fit the profile of a realistic buyer does it, as they are quite conservative by nature.

There’ll be a clear reason why Ashley won’t speculate more than the club earns to grow the club. Most likely he simply doesn’t view it as likely enough to give a decent return on his money. New owners would of course inherit the same problem. 550 million on a football club that hasn’t won a trophy for 50 years really is a giant investment. A vanity project.

Ashley had his chance to grow us steadily, and he messed it up, and to be frank, as a result I think we are probably stuck with him, and him with us, given he wants a quite prohibitive 350 million quid to buy us, and you’d need the extra 200 million just to put you into the conversation for a CL place.

• WLtoon

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:07 AM

NY Mag

I also agree with that, we have a few winnable games from now til beginning of March, see where we stand then.

• NY Mag

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:11 AM

WLtoon,

We live in hope, as always 🙂

• toon22

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:19 AM

So last month
    While we were knee deep in intensive negotiations with a super wealthy buyer
    Jabbas goons instructed Charnley and Congo contact Gen and the old lady he mentioned

They then decided to get the police involved instead of talking to them as they mentioned.

Who decided to take that action?
    You think a seller would bother with the obvious hassle ?

I’m busy right now but you can be very sure I’m going to be contacting Chi and the FA about the incident
    We don’t just not bother with the fans forum
    We use the police and attempt to intimidate fans who have any kind of grievances

• FloridaToon(SDFC)

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:19 AM

Lets hope a deal is in place and they are just waiting for us to be safe from relegation. Might explain why everything is quiet at the moment.

• toon22

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:19 AM

Congo

LoL

Meant to just be co

• toon22

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:21 AM

It’s not just going to blow over

• lesh

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:21 AM

Well, having scanned recent posts, it looks as though Ashley’s cheerleaders’ve clocked off. The current chat’s more than sensible.

• WLtoon

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:23 AM

NY Mag

Its hope that,s keeping our peckers up atm.
    I wonder though, how ramped up the protests will be if this falls flat on its face, i hope we don,t get the chance to find out.

• toon22

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:28 AM

The owner of any football club has a minimum requirement for communicating with fans
    In this case they have acted just short of hired goons going around this guys house and doing him over

I’m angrier now than at any point in the last 13 years

• lesh

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:34 AM

Genjikai

On a serious note, might I suggest that from now on in, you keep your powder dry.

Believe me, and I’m speaking from experience when back in the sixties, when I was young and putting the world to rights, my old man, an ex copper, asked one of his ex colleagues to drop round and have a word in my shell like. Jeez, what they didn’t know about me and my anti-war activities could’ve been put on the back of a stamp. And that was in the pre-computer days when files were held in the west end station on Westgate Road.

A few years later, the head of security (an ex copper) at the place I worked, told me he knew all about me and that he hoped ‘the daftness’ was behind me.

Genjikai, take my advice or not, but life’s taught me that martyrs tend to be alone but with many behind them, miles behind! There’ll be plenty egging you in to make a stand, but make sure your supporters are really by your side before you do.

You’re a brave lad as are those who’ve stood beside you so far. But, take care – the establishment never loses.

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 13, 2020 at 12:37 AM

Robleenio

Interesting snippet about Allegri, as you say may be lost in translation but it’s a weird turn of phrase.

I’m still hopeful and think surely this time.

Toon22

It’s disgraceful even by their low standards to try to intimidate but nothing shocks me about any of it. However impending sale or not it fits the tanks in the lawn style of our malevolent owner.

I think Bruce has surprised a few with results even though it’s a painful watch this season.

Should new people owners come in I’d imagine he will be out the door. I’d take Pochettino personally but it’s all just hypothetical of course.

1 2 3 5