This is the team that fell to Arsenal 4-0 at the Emirates, including the three second-half substitutes.
Here are our individual player ratings for the match.
Martin Dubravka – 6
- Dubravka was at fault for the Ozil goal. However, it was the third of the match and in the 90th minute. He wasn’t really forced into any noteworthy saves and could do little on the other three goals.
Valentino Lazaro – 6
- Lazaro was outstanding in the first half. He was a force down the right and made some marauding runs. Valentino was also defensively sound in the early stages. He whipped in some decent corners though Arsenal were able to handle them. The Austrian let Aubamayang get in front of him on the opening goal but was not helped by Fernandez, who was caught ball watching. Was too easily beaten by Saka on the second goal.
Federico Fernandez – 5
- Should have assisted Lazaro on opening goal. Some great tackles and worked very hard. Was substituted for Ritchie in the 73rd minute as Newcastle transitioned to a back four.
Jamaal Lascelles – 5
- Domineering performance in the first half but was not switched on for the two late goals. However, the back four were all out of sorts late in the game.
Ciaran Clark – 6
- Ciaran was forced off with what looks to be a bad ankle injury in the 83rd minute. He and the back three were outstanding in the first half, but all were under immense pressure in the second. Clark wasn’t at fault for either of the first two goals and was off the pitch for the second two. He missed what looked like a sitter after Arsenal’s second that could have changed the game.
Danny Rose – 6
- Danny linked very well with Allan Saint-Maximin, especially in the first half. However, he is short of match fitness and faded badly in the second half.
Nabil Bentaleb – 4
- We didn’t see enough from Bentaleb on Sunday. He played the deep-lying playmaker role but had very few impactful moments. Played some decent passes but lacked that killer ball quality that Shelvey possesses. He’s also still short of match fitness.
Sean Longstaff – 5
- Sean looked very good in the first forty-five minutes when he was able to push forward more. Longstaff almost scored on a deflected shot when Lazaro found him outside the box on a corner. However, he was forced to sit back in the second half and didn’t do enough to help shield the backline.
Miguel Almiron – 5
- Almiron had an off day as he failed to have a shot or cross all evening. The Paraguayan was full of effort as usual but provided little quality in the final third.
Allan Saint-Maximin – 7
- Allan was again our only real threat going forward. He was direct and tried to make things happen. His shot in the second half almost halved Arsenal’s lead, but it hit the post. However, sometimes he does the unnecessary rather than make the simple pass. Allan also fails to release the ball early enough though he also isn’t given many options by his teammates. We have to wonder when the frustration is going to set in for the 22-year-old. He works so hard for minimal reward in this system.
Joelinton – 5
- Joelinton played well in the first half as he led the line and kept possession. His touch was good, and he made some tidy passes. He did well to find Lazaro in the box early when the Austrian had his shot blocked for a corner. However, he again was nowhere near scoring but for an effort in the first-half that he put wide from an Allan Saint-Maximin pass. It was a little bit behind him though to be fair.
Isaac Hayden – 6
- Hayden came on for Valentino Lazaro at right-back in the 73rd minute as Newcastle switched to a back four. He again did not look out of place on the right.
Matt Ritchie – 6
- Ritchie came on for Fede Fernandez in the 73rd minute. He played in the midfield but didn’t have much of an impact.
Fabian Schar – n/a
- Came of for Ciaran Clark in the 83rd minute. Like Lascelles, he didn’t maintain his concentration until the final whistle and we gave up too sloppy goals as a result. Not on the pitch long enough for a rating.
Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In Defeat At Arsenal?
- A. Saint-Maximin (66%, 893 )
- Valentino Lazaro (8%, 110 )
- Sean Longstaff (5%, 68 )
- Martin Dubravka (4%, 55 )
- Joelinton (3%, 47 )
- Federico Fernandez (3%, 35 )
- Miguel Almiron (3%, 35 )
- Danny Rose (2%, 27 )
- Nabil Bentaleb (2%, 23 )
- Ciaran Clark (2%, 21 )
- Matt Ritchie (1%, 12 )
- Jamaal Lascelles (1%, 9 )
- Isaac Hayden (1%, 9 )
- Fabian Schar (1%, 8 )
Total Voters: 1,352