web analytics

Steve Bruce Wants This Player To Be More Selfish

During Steve Bruce’s press conference on Friday, he spoke about how he felt Joelinton was improving all the time. Bruce mentioned that he saw more and more each day that the 23-year-old was adapting to the English game.

Joelinton made his 26th Premier League appearance, 25 of which are starts, at the Emirates yesterday. He’s still only managed the one goal he scored at Spurs in August.

After the Arsenal game, Steve Bruce seemed a little frustrated with his striker. This is what he had to say about the Brazilian’s performance.

“Joelinton has got to learn and improve. He has to be in the box more often.

“We have to keep reminding him to get in the box and be more selfish. Strikers are judged on goals.

“He played well, led the line well, but he’s’s got one goal all season in Premier League.”

We thought Joelinton was excellent in the first half. However, like many Magpies, he did not do nearly enough in the second half.

Alan Shearer had mentioned after the Norwich match that Joelinton needs to show more desire to get into the box. He showed a bit of that inclination at Oxford in the FA Cup, but maybe not enough at Arsenal.

One issue is that Newcastle are set up so deep, and Joelinton is often defending in the box. There was one instance to close the first half when Allan Saint-Maximin was on a break but had no runners with him, and the ball ended up going out for a goal kick.

Joelinton had been defending deep and couldn’t get up the pitch in time to provide an option for the Frenchman. The television commentators had blamed the Brazilian for not doing enough to get up the pitch, but he hardly could get up to Allan from so deep.

However, that stigma has stuck to Joelinton for good reason as he just doesn’t show the instincts of a number nine. He works hard for the team but is being asked to do play in a role that he just isn’t suited for at the moment.

A natural goalscorer is never reminded to get into the box and be more selfish. They just instinctually play that way.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In Defeat At Arsenal?

• A. Saint-Maximin (66%, 893 )
  • Valentino Lazaro (8%, 110 )
  • Sean Longstaff (5%, 68 )
  • Martin Dubravka (4%, 55 )
  • Joelinton (3%, 47 )
  • Federico Fernandez (3%, 35 )
  • Miguel Almiron (3%, 35 )
  • Danny Rose (2%, 27 )
  • Nabil Bentaleb (2%, 23 )
  • Ciaran Clark (2%, 21 )
  • Matt Ritchie (1%, 12 )
  • Jamaal Lascelles (1%, 9 )
  • Isaac Hayden (1%, 9 )
  • Fabian Schar (1%, 8 )

Total Voters: 1,352

Loading ... Loading ...

• Bants

Feb 17, 2020 at 10:57 AM

Good to see a challenger arise from yesterday’s blog.

A blogger threatening to knock another blogger’s teeth out!

Eagerly awaiting the result of the heavyweight bout between Geordietom and Jail,

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you, in the red & white corner, the challenger:

TTSSUUNNKKII !!!

• hibbit

Feb 17, 2020 at 10:59 AM

happy day’s

***** divide and conquer disrupt and destroy *****

• RUNAWAY777

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:13 AM

Only supprise there is its taken this long .

• Anglo Saxon

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:16 AM

Although tom I see you coming out of the water climbing the ladders screwdriver in the mouth hunting the rig looking for the evil Jail very Sean Connery.

• ShirebrookToon

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:17 AM

The scoreline flattered arsenal yesterday. They weren’t exactly great and we’re there for the taking. We just came out in the 2nd half and we’re a completely different team to the first half.

Takeover rumours have gone off boil lately. Can’t be another rinse and repeat surely….. 🙄

• Jiayou! (The next MW)

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:19 AM

Well Steve Bruces son thinks his dads a good manager so we all must be wrong.

• Jiayou! (The next MW)

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:20 AM

He’s just a fat Neil Warnock.

• G

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:21 AM

@ShirebrookToon. According to a good mate of mine, it was deffo happening yesterday. It didn’t. I did mention the other day, that the mate in question is not usually one to get involved in rumours, so it surprised me when he sent me the text. I think pretty much everybody is clinging on to hope these days, however, I think I have given up, and the only way I think we are getting rid of Ashley is when he is being prepared for his funeral!

• Jiayou! (The next MW)

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:23 AM

As the blogs been a bit of a battleground these last two days, has anybody seen the Queen spoof about internet bloggers/ social media called Opinion Rhapsody. it sums up this blog sometimes

• Jiayou! (The next MW)

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:26 AM

ill share the lyrics. very funny and accurate.

Opinion Rhapsody (to the tune of Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen) Lyrics

We think it’s real nice
    To have freedom of speech
    Grateful for that right
    No complaints about liberty
    It’s just sometimes
    Exchanges online get mean
    I’m at my keyboard
    With anonymity

So then I get fired up
    And I post
    Get some likes
    Gain some foes
    I love my opinions
    Others are inferior to me
    To me

Drama
    On Instagram
    Someone posted a new meme
    That’s politically extreme
    Comments, fights have just begun
    As these quote unquote adults
    Start to engage

Drama (I love my opinions) Ooooooo
    Maybe one will change their mind
    From this Facebook debate
    Said no one ever
    Can’t be wrong, can’t be wrong
    Gotta help inform the others

Oh great, there’s always one
    Who with privilege knows what’s best
    For a culture that’s oppressed
    Busy memorizing talk radio
    And an oxymoron called Unbiased news

Drama Ooooooo (I love my opinions)
    It’s a bloody cyber fight
    I think we might need prayer or alcohol

I see a little twit who’s ranting in all caps
    They’re a douche, They’re a douche
    I will shortly unfollow
    But at first I’ll smite him
    With my QWERTY typing keys

You’re a lamo-o
    You’re an a$$%^&*
    You big ego
    You stupid
    You’re a keyboard warrior
    Come at me bro (bro, bro)
    Now there’s a tool boy
    Posting his hate speech
    He’s just a tool boy with insecurities
    Can’t wait to block all his misogyny

Comment wars dying down
    Have we let it go?
    We will, no!
    Cause now here come the trolls
    eff$%^&* trolls
    We will not
    Cause now here come the trolls
    Thirsty trolls
    We will not
    Cause now here come the trolls (Thirsty trolls)
    Now here come the trolls (Thirsty trolls)
    Now here come the trolls (Thirsty trolls)
    Now here come the trolls
    TROLLS, TROLLS, TROLLS
    Oh, I’ll delete them, I’ll delete them
    I’ll delete them if they troll
    Mark Zuckerberg
    Make all of my friends
    Sound just like me
    Like me
    Like me

Maybe we could discuss
    This together online?
    You mean talk face to face?
    Are you out of your mind?
    That’s crazy
    You’re still suck in the 80s
    I’ve gotta log out
    Just gotta log right out of here

Ooooooo, Oooooh Yeah, Oooooh Yeah
    We should love each other
    Although we disagree
    Your opinion matters
    Especially when it sounds just
    Like me

I love my opinions

• toon22

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:30 AM

Mike Ashley and Steve Bruce finally send Newcastle United into Premier League goals negative

Its never Jabbas fault

• DubaiMicky

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:34 AM

So we were 8 games unbeaten before last night in all competitions. That’s probably the worst unbeaten run I’ve ever seen.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:46 AM

Jail

“geordietom,
    Do you honestly not realise how stupid you come across offering to fight someone on a blog.”

Do you realise how stupid you look by constantly goading him into making his (admittedly) stupid comments, why don’t you just back off, Ed and Neil don’t need that sort of rubbish on the blog.

• Asi Fish

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:47 AM

Missed all footie this weekend as too busy having leaving drinks………….turns out it was a good thing.

So no takeover and no points. Will it be the same at Palace?
    I’ll be flying back from Florida and getting the train up to Newcastle – I really hope something changes.

• Rob1971

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:47 AM

Dubai it shows how bad it was as it is now only one win in 8 premier league games now, 6 goals scored 16 conceded

• Moonraker15

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:49 AM

It’s bad enough losing 4-0 without a teenager still wet behind the ears taking the pi$$ in post match interview with PEA and Redknapp! The fact that we were seriously trying to sign PEA is even more annoying!
    This owner has destroyed the club in many ways!

• lochinvar

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:51 AM

Some scrutiny and analysis here on the striker conundrum….or is the manager’s tactics that needs to change…..of course only at Newcastle

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:52 AM

Jiayou!

Very good a lot of work and thought has gone into your masterpiece, not sure which keyboard warriors you mean cos there’s so many on the blog but I suspect you aimed at two in particular! 🙂

• pheasant plucker

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:57 AM

A full stadium every home game is the only reason Ashley is still here
    Time the fans told him to stick it

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:59 AM

I thought that J was reasonably good playing out wide on the left in the first half but I totally agree that he aint a striker and it’s pointless playing him as one. We might as well not play a striker as has been suggested on here by many or alternatively show a little faith in one of the youngsters who are real strikers can’t be any worse.

• ronaldo aarons

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:01 PM

Klopp on Joelinton earlier in the season after Liverpool game:
    “really good signing”
    “Joelinton did outstanding. He is 100% made for the Premier League.”
    “The way they do it is good, they get balls in behind. Joelinton is so demanding.”

Arteta yesterday:
    “We found the first 20 to 30 mins difficult. They are really compact & organised. They are so good on transition with Joelinton holding the ball & the wingers moving. I told my players we needed to control the game more”

Joelinton only goal in PL v Spurs. Possession based build up. Joelinton played a part in build up twice by dropping deep, made his way forward, found space, good ball came in, one touch then goal.

Is there any wonder he’s not doing well in a new position, in new league, in a very defensive team with little support? Maybe he is being misused and played incorrectly. He’s got talent in the right set up. Showed it in Germany under Nagelsmann who also spoke highly of him.

He’s definitely not going to come good in this 541 isolated front man role and will only affect his future with us and his already damaged confidence.

• ShirebrookToon

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:01 PM

One fit striker who isn’t really a striker. Says it all really

• lochinvar

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:04 PM

Jiayou! (The next MW)

Great post – that’s very clever stuff
    Didn’t you have a song named after you ?

Jiayou, crawfish pie and fillet gumbo
    For tonight, I’m-a gonna see my ma cher a mi-o

Keep smiling !

• Jiayou! (The next MW)

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:05 PM

i didnt write that Bill. its from a youtube video to the music from Bohemian Rhadsody. wish i wrote it though. it could be about most of us to be fair.

🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:05 PM

It was the result I was dreading and I said as much before the match, in context however it’s a normal result in the season we’ve been having (and previous seasons) so no real surprises there. I’ll still put us down for a win at Crystal Palace but more in hope than expectation. 🙂

• Jail for Ashley

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:06 PM

EGB,
    Your biased and unwanted input in my affairs became completely irrelevant to me the day you pulled me for my news stories posts on geordietom but failed to say anything to Jib after he said my wife was “getting her back door smashed in” then justified by saying that’s just Jib. So please kindly stfu you nosey old c…!