web analytics

Willems Reveals Why Playing For Steve Bruce ‘Suits’ Him

Jetro came back to Newcastle last Friday to visit his teammates and coaching staff after undergoing surgery for his ruptured ACL.

He spoke to NUFC TV and made it clear that he would be back on occasion to cheer on the lads at St James Park.

Willems was interviewed by the Chronicle today and had some very nice things to say about Steve Bruce.

It seems that the head coach has maintained regular contact with the 25-year-old since his injury, and the two speak multiple times a week.

Jetro also spoke about how much he enjoyed playing under Bruce as his coaching style offered the Dutchman a certain amount of freedom on the pitch that he relished.

This is some of what Jetro had to say about Bruce:

“I liked playing for Steve. I like him. He’s more of a coach who speaks a lot with the players. He gives them a role in a team. Everyone has a role, and everyone knows what they need to be doing.

“His style is not to give players a lot of rules. He knows the players, mentally and everything. I think that’s his big strength as well.

“I’m not a player who needs to have a lot of rules, and you get a lot of trainers who want to give rules and rules. ‘You need to do this and that and that and that’ – I’m not that kind of player.

“Just tell me: ‘Just kill it! Keep the ball, make us some opportunities’. I will do that. He gave me a lot of freedom. It suits me how Steve manages. He was great for me.”

There’s a lot of decisions to be made this summer with Jetro’s future being just one of them. A lot will depend on how the club progress over the next twelve games.

There can’t be many more outings like yesterday at Arsenal. Hopefully, we can get some wins over the next few weeks and also advance in the FA Cup.

If Steve Bruce can get the lads to finish on a high, there’ll be some optimism this summer that we can bring in some quality players to enhance the squad and move forward next year.

With Steve Bruce keeping in regular contact with Jetro, we have to believe that if everything works out with his rehabilitation, he’ll be under consideration for next season.

The club could possibly work out another deal with Frankfurt that will work out for all parties. Willems showed enough in his 20 appearances that he is worth acquiring next year if he can fully recover.

Now Jetro must work to ensure he can return to the level he was before his injury.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player In Defeat At Arsenal?

• A. Saint-Maximin (66%, 893 )
  • Valentino Lazaro (8%, 110 )
  • Sean Longstaff (5%, 68 )
  • Martin Dubravka (4%, 55 )
  • Joelinton (3%, 47 )
  • Federico Fernandez (3%, 35 )
  • Miguel Almiron (3%, 35 )
  • Danny Rose (2%, 27 )
  • Nabil Bentaleb (2%, 23 )
  • Ciaran Clark (2%, 21 )
  • Matt Ritchie (1%, 12 )
  • Jamaal Lascelles (1%, 9 )
  • Isaac Hayden (1%, 9 )
  • Fabian Schar (1%, 8 )

Total Voters: 1,352

Loading ... Loading ...

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:09 PM

Toon22

Careful.

Saying he can’t treat the fans worse he may accept that challenge

• DubaiMicky

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:11 PM

So basically Bruce isn’t a manager or a leader, more of your new best mate and a couch.

Well at least we know that then.

(That wasn’t a spelling mistake btw)…

• DubaiMicky

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:13 PM

Thing is, if the season ticket sales are way down (like 15,000 or so), then what’s he going to do next year? It can’t go on – shirley????

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:14 PM

droppy, you were a pensioner in the 40’s bloody ell how old are you? 🙂

• JDdubai

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:17 PM

Sounds like begging Jetro, don’t sell your soul just to get a contract.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:17 PM

RIP Harry Gregg.

There are moments in life that you can remember with great clarity and I was in the middle of my paper round when I read the headlines that I realised about the Munich air crash.

It really shook me that so many young top class footballers had lost their lives. Nowadays the news would be around the world in minutes, not then though.

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:17 PM

EGB

Was going from the delightfully angry young man who’s obviously suspended from school for biting the teachers.

Apparently the blog is filled with pensioners from the 40s and 50s.

Coincidentally I happen to be eleventy six

• MagpieRanger

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:30 PM

I hate what’s happening to our club, please make it stop…

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:31 PM

Just watched the edited highlights of the U23s v Sunderland and there seemed to be more noise and atmosphere in the ground than on full match days!

The foul on Sorensen looked a bad one and if the ref had given a foul as he should have done then he might not have retaliated the way he did.

Seems that the give nowt to Toon players is also in force in U23 matches as well.

I choose to pass on the Toon/Arsenal highlights.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:33 PM

droppy

Just a kid to me then! 🙂

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:38 PM

I’ve noticed that it seems to be possible to heart some comments that you’ve already hearted, which might explain why some people get so many hearts.

I would like to add I don’t make a habit of this, was just curious to see if it was possible and I never heart my own comments, i’m not that sad!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:40 PM

droppy
    And you were born in Royston Vasey, I would guess! 🙂

• beddersmag

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:40 PM

Player ratings on Lazaro :  “The Austrian let Aubamayang get in front of him on the opening goal but was not helped by Fernandez, who was caught ball watching”. Actually he was helped. Fernandez clearly tells him to get goal side a few moments before the goal. He doesnt react and so doesnt get back into position. Clearly his fault. Looked canny and has ability but we have built our ‘success’ on keeping it tight. Cant have folk being beaten that easily at the back or not worth what they might provide going forward. Our new look midfield looked promising but tired badly. Understandable really

• Assassins Inc

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:45 PM

Roll up Roll up, to the greatest circus show on earth, Mike Ashley will out run Billy Smarts if this carries on.

Not sure how to read into the non takeover chatter, only means one of two things.

First: Of course it was all bullshit and he got us all again praying and hoping and is laughing at us, well not all for being so easy to persuade.

Two: The fact there is no takeover chatter could mean there is a takeover and parties are waiting to see we are safe in the Prem, which if I was a buyer, would want.
    Here’s hoping for number two, let me say that again, here’s hoping for the second option.

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:49 PM

EGB

How on earth did you know that?

Royston born and bred

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:02 PM

On topic I would happily have Jetro back as he is a decent player and seems to love the club.

His comments on Bruce are a worry though, sounds like it’s a case of go out and play, surely there’s got to be a plan A as yesterday showed there is certainly no plan B.

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:04 PM

Oh and I still believe the takeover is ongoing.

• DaveD1000

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:11 PM

I reckon Brusey thinks a high press is a tall cupboard

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:11 PM

droppy

Aye from his comments above you do wonder what does happen on the training ground, do any locals get to go and watch the training, I believe it used to be possible but don’t know if it is now.

• Munster Mag

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:11 PM

Droppy, can see what you mean and I doubt Bruce is one for the finer details of tactics. That said, the player said they know their roles and he seems happy etc. Obviously wants a contract but no harm in that

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:13 PM

droppy

There’s a lot of us eleventy somethings around mate! 🙂

• Jiayou! (The next MW)

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:21 PM

EGB,
    i managed to heart the same post twice once(not my own). not sure how i did it though. but i did once see a post that had a minus one rating so i guess you can recall your heart twice occasionally too.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:21 PM

DaveD

J did look a bit like a tall cupboard at one stage of the match when he failed to try and get up for the superb cross by ASM. It was just begging for someone to poke it into the net and put us one up.

• Jib

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:53 PM

24C and cloudless here ,Suckers

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:53 PM

EGB

Indeed I used to go up and watch training if I got the chance and it was fascinating to see.

And the players loved it and it felt like everyone was pulling for the better of the club.

Now you don’t get to see it, I have asked the question that I wonder what they train on as forward passing certainly isn’t on the agenda, the videos often show shooting practice but it’s always without any defenders so it’s hardly going to help on a match day.

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:56 PM

Munster

I’m sure the lad is saying the right things to try to keep on the good side of the manager and that’s to be expected.

But from what he says and the second half yesterday I don’t think Mr Bruce is aware of tactics. Arsenal made one little tweak and it totally undid us.

Our response was to keep doing the same thing even though it was never going to work.

• Jib

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:56 PM

I managed to minus jiayou

• pheasant plucker

Feb 17, 2020 at 3:05 PM

Ashley has been laughing at us for thirteen years
    We have been mugs for to Long it’s time it stopped

• geordietom

Feb 17, 2020 at 3:12 PM

i’m gonna ask one last time ( for the good of the blog ) …

JAIL will you kindly refrain with your snipes and put downs directed at me if you don’t mind …

• geordietom

Feb 17, 2020 at 3:13 PM

and i’m still confident the takeover is on going …