web analytics

Newcastle Announce New U23 Manager

Newcastle United have announced the appointment of Chris Hogg as the manager of Newcastle’s U23s. His title is Lead Player Development Coach.

Hogg, 34, joins from Ipswich Town were he served as a co-manager for their U23 side. He replaces Neil Redfearn, who resigned in November.

Ben Dawson, who had managed the U23s in the interim, returns to his role as head of coaching.

This is what the Middlesbrough-born Hogg had to say about joining Newcastle:

“I’m delighted to be here, for several reasons really. First of all, to challenge myself in a new environment and to kick on as a coach, but also to join a club like Newcastle feels like a really good opportunity to influence and impact the program to develop the young players here, push them into the first team, aid them in their football careers and develop them as people as well, which is really important to me.

“With the young players here – like the Longstaffs and Tom Allan, who has made his debut this year – I think the pathway is opening. It’s about aiding the development of players and adding the quality to help them force that pathway open by being the best they can be.

“The staff here have been doing a good job, so it’s up to me to come and enhance the program, try and add to it wherever I can, and continue the good work that is evidently already being done.”

We wish Chris the best of luck and hope he can guide our youngsters to reach their full potential at Newcastle.

Should Newcastle Sign Jetro Willems In The Summer?

• Yes (87%, 1,438 )
  • No (13%, 222 )

Total Voters: 1,660

Loading ... Loading ...

• toon22

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:55 AM

Essex

The mackems dont have Jabba and is taty adverts to think about , he obviously loves the ground being empty

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:02 PM

Jail

He’s mired in mediocrity as a manager, and whilst I never would’ve had him on my list, I was prepared to give him a chance.

Sadly he’s just not good enough. His accent is annoying but at least he doesn’t say “Ye know” at the end of every sentence like he used to.

I feel a bit sorry for him, as he was always on a hiding to nothing with many, and even with the points we’ve got, there are signs it’s about to go tits up.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:18 PM

I’ve got no sympathy for Bruce.

He made a rod for his own back.

Heralded the signing of Joelinton and the rest of the summers signings, stating he signed off on the deals.

He contradicts himself in every interview, he’s way out of his depth and took the job because it was his last shot at the big time.

I can’t see any reason to feel sorry for him, he’s a shit coach, feeling sorry for him won’t make him better.

• toon22

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:22 PM

The only plus side to it is Jabba has real problems shifting those ST
    The footballs horrible, and I doubt he will get anyone in that’s much better
    It’s an utterly poisonous situation anyone but the desperate will touch
    Mix in the fact Jabba wants to gamble with buying and selling players without regard to the team and it’s obvious where this will end up

Let’s see what his adverts look like after a few years in the fizzy pop league, I really wish otherwise but it seems if not this year it will be next

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:27 PM

OP

20 years of experience haven’t made him better, but I do still feel that whoever came in after Rafa would’ve been disliked by many regardless.

He’s certainly not helped himself with some of the cack he spouts.

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:30 PM

It all deflects from the real root cause of the problems of course.

Everyone with even half a clue knows that if we had people in charge who cared about the club and had the first clue about football we’d be a much better club.

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:37 PM

Toon22

That’s the one bright spot about ST giveaway, it’s not sustainable, where do you stop 15,000, 20,000?

He’s backed himself into a corner as another short sighted gamble backfires.

If he has to keep giving tickets away, the media and FA will not be able to keep ignoring it.

• Tramp

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:39 PM

Confession time, before Mike Ashley bought the club I had just got a tattoo of a magpie on the top of my left arm. Just the one to sit on top of the crest already sat there. My girlfriend of the time drew it. It’s pretty bad.

It has cursed this club ever since.

1 for sorrow. I’m sorry.

The rumour amongst my friends is that when a second magpie is tattooed on my arm, the curse will be lifted and joy will return.

April 18th.

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:39 PM

Droppy

You maybe right that whoever took over from Rafa was in a no win situation, that’s not a excuse to give the biggest loser you can find the job.

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:41 PM

toon22

He obviously doesn’t like the ground being empty as he is giving away free tickets, the big question is can he afford to do that and i’m sorry to say that apparently he can.

Especially with the Sky money and as you and most of us keep saying he’ll only sell when he wants to.

And despite the best efforts of people like Genjikai I can’t see him shifting until he wants to.

I don’t see your favoured light at the end of the tunnel showing any signs of success in the near future. ie HMRC

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:44 PM

I will add ‘unfortunately’ to the end of my comment before i start getting Ashlie lover comments hurled at me!

• pheasant plucker

Feb 19, 2020 at 4:14 PM

Thousands of empty seats at home games is not very good publicity
    For SD the fans know this they love their club but the club doesn’t love them back