web analytics

Former Magpie Describes ‘Best Season I’ve Ever Had’

Salomon Rondon had quite an impact in his lone season at Newcastle. He quickly became a fan darling through his hard work and engaging nature.

The 30-year-old made 33 appearances last season, scoring 12 goals while adding 7 assists. It was enough to earn him the player of the season.

George Caulkin interviewed our former number nine for the Athletic. During the extensive interview, Rondon expressed several times how much he enjoyed his time on Tyneside.

This is what he said about playing in front of the Newcastle fans:

“Sometimes it’s like they celebrate tackles more than goals. The fans push you.

“If the ball is flying towards the line, you have to run, try to take it and play. That’s my nature.

“Everything for me there was really fantastic. I just felt, ‘this is my place’.”

Rondon certainly gave his all when on the pitch for Newcastle. He recounted what he was told by another former striker when first joining Newcastle:

“When I first arrived, I received a message from Tino Asprilla.

“He said, ‘Maybe you’ll score or maybe you won’t. If you score, that’s good, because a striker lives for goals, but if not, my friend … run, tackle, fight.’ That’s what I did. That’s the reason I loved it so much.”

Rondon played his target man role to perfection last season. Unfortunately, things didn’t work out for him to come back.

Rondon has fond memories of his time with Newcastle and even calls it the best year of his career:

“To be honest, last season was the best I’ve ever had.

“Not just because I scored goals, but because everything around me was so right, from the school of my children, to the city, the people, my family being happy.

“I was working really hard in every training session to be in the team and I did everything properly for that. I was playing. Everything was perfect.”

Last season, it all came together for Salomon, who had struggled to score goals in the Premier League for West Brom. Many fans have great memories of the Venezuelan in the black and white stripes.

After this article was published, Salomon sent out the following tweet to George Caulkin expressing the same sentiment.

What Will Be The Result At Crystal Palace On Saturday?

• Loss (39%, 634 )
  • Win (34%, 547 )
  • Draw (27%, 434 )

Total Voters: 1,615

Loading ... Loading ...

• lesh

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:36 AM

If Ashley had listened to Raffa…….

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:37 AM

So from Rondon’s interview its looking like Newcastle never bothered to get him back….

Pretty sure Bruce would have loved to have him and if the guy had any backbone would have made it one of the conditions to sign up to the job but was happy to be a patsy for Ashley

• Rotonda heights

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:49 AM

Gimps

Spot on. That’s the most frustrating thing with an intransigent dinosaur like bruce, moyes, etc. For example whu with the players they have could play an exciting 433 and we could too, but these old time managers are just so lacking in adventure and fear ridden.

• Assassins Inc

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:50 AM

Did I miss something, does Alex ( I think I’m important ) Bruce work for Newcastle United now?

Maybe I missed a huge bus, but honestly did we give us a job?

Seeing some of the talking after the bus moved extra quick , Alex Bruce does not work for the club, it’s bad enough having one cabbage head, we don’t need two like.

• Assassins Inc

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:51 AM

Sorry did we give him a job.

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:54 AM

It seems Keith Bishop basically runs the club and hes not employed by the club either
    Maybe anyone can stick their oar in

• Rotonda heights

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:02 PM

Its quite sickening that even if there was a sale, ash would get 340m (say that slowly) for years of abject failure and neglect.

• Our Toon

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:05 PM

Nice of Rondon to come out now when Coronavirus has stopped chinese league its track. Sounds to me like someone who regrets his move and wants a way back into PL

• Rotonda heights

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:06 PM

Assassins

Its really embarrassing having bruce junior spout his totally biased non objective nonsense.

Bottom of all the sky stats, stupid injury list and the worst football i’ve ever seen but we should all be happy clappers according to the unvetted weirdo + misfit.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:09 PM

Our toon

You mean the move he made when despite being player of the season he wasn’t offered a new contract.

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:09 PM

Let’s all stay positive guys
    Jabbas got his eye on next seasons transfer budget

😉

• lochinvar

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:10 PM

Rondon could be angling for a part in the new TV series

“I’m a striker – get me in there”

• Our Toon

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:11 PM

Rotonda

Yeah I mean the move he made for alot more money than he’d ever get here or anywhere else in europe.

He went for a final big pay day and good on him, shame it’s not worked out due to this outbreak.

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:11 PM

Can’t blame Rondon moving on , we didn’t want him
    Didn’t make an offer to him

Maybe he should have just hung around to see if we change our minds for a few years

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:13 PM

Jabba said he wanted to sell
    A buyer came forward and has offered the asking price

Total nightmare

That’s not what he meant when he said he wanted to sell ?

#theturdthatwontflush

• Our Toon

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:15 PM

What happened to Nicolai Jørgensen? Our no1 target for striking role before we had to go for muto then rondon

• #BoycottAshley ( OP)

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:22 PM

Whens Alex Ferguson going to defend Bruce?

Roy Keane maybe.

Giggs even.

• geordietom

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:26 PM

has the Chinese League been suspended and if so for how long , Rondon is looking for a way out IMO bring him back till the end of the season at the very least …

• geordietom

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:26 PM

#thatfrogwontflush#

• Assassins Inc

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:41 PM

@ Rotonda heights.

Right, Alex I do hope you read this blog, I think the general consensus is STFU.

As Rotonda said, you spouting off talking bullshit about how bad we are only projects on the player ‘s confidence, thanks for letting the players know how bad they are, what a great help you are .

I’m mean you truly played to a high standard, we should maybe listen to you. Idiot!

• Jib

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:42 PM

Its really embarrassing having Rotonda heights spout his totally biased non objective nonsense.

• Our Toon

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:45 PM

We can get rondon now but he cant be registered to play so pointless in making a move for him

• Anglo Saxon

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:50 PM

And Jeff it’s really bad listening to your embarrassing response. Nuckle head.

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:52 PM

Yeh JIB total nightmare
    Lets stay positive while Jabba does his best to end us as a football club

Can you explain what Jabba meant when he said he wanted to sell ?
    Moneys on the table, what he asked for

#theturdthatwontflush

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:53 PM

JIB

You prefer your mate Munster ?

Stay positive guys, Jabba can smell next seasons transfer budget

• MagpieRanger

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:54 PM

Absolute buffoons run our football club, totally inept clueless idiots

• Anglo Saxon

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:54 PM

geordietom think you would have to resign him and that’s a no go mate, finished end of Jan.

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:55 PM

Everything’s fine.

Bottom of every stat bar one.

Coming off the back of another capitulation.

A new unpaid mouthpiece for the club, telling us it’s all the players fault but his Dad is enjoying himself.

A new bit of paint around the SBR.

Aye whatever.

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:56 PM

When he said he wanted to sell meant :

I want to pretend to sell as its what ive done for decades in me tat shops
    I want to sell but im after 10% of the total wealth of that Arab
    I want to sell but i want to keep everything but the players
    I want to pretend to sell as i love mugging off the fans
    I want to sell but i want to keep the entire club at the same time

Im guessing here JIB can you ask Keith whats the party line other than staying positive

• Anglo Saxon

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:00 PM

United fans doesn’t rain but it pours.

• MagpieRanger

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:01 PM

If Ashley has a shred of decency which we know he doesn’t, he should just release a statement saying he has no intention of selling. Any publicity is good publicity for the fat b*stard

• MagpieRanger

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:02 PM

Everyone, my house is for sale BUT I’d like to keep the garage. Also, I want to sleep there every weekend. I am trying to sell my house, just no one seems to want it…

• Jib

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:09 PM

MagpieRanger

Probably ‘cos it’s in Sunderland

• IrishRob

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:09 PM

You do get a horrible feeling that under a manager like Rafa we could very well be pushing for a European place.

I just think with guidance this team would be playing like a top 6 team this year.

• IrishRob

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:10 PM

I was willing to give Bruce a chance, but the more I see them play the more I’m starting to realise Bruce is probably the problem.

• lochinvar

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:12 PM

Maybe UEFA/FIFA/FA could get off their back sides and pass some Emergency policy that allows due to the unprecedented Cornavirus players to be loaned out to European clubs after a quarantine period for them and their families. Reality is that China and their football league will stay closed for a lot longer than the press will say at the moment and with Government restrictions probably until 2021 football over there is in limbo. Allowing players to play in Europe/UK and join Premier League Teams would at least allow Chinese fans of players to watch them on TV and for a while at least adopt that Premier League team thus building a future fan base for when matters return to normal. Loan fees albeit small fry might create some revenues for the Chinese teams. Watching Premier League matches and betting on line is culturally pat of the Chinese approach so the likes of Sky would see revenue upturns as well.

But then again…there are more important concerns over the virus while inert football authorities are unable to think beyond the box.

• lesh

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:14 PM

Jib

You continue to avoid answering questions. Shall we try again with this one:
    Jib

Your post (a couple of threads back at 29) did not answer my question. I gave WHY Everton are to commit to a £500m stadium and NUFC use wheelie bins for ice baths – not how.

Do you want to try again?

Oh, and like Jib, the Ashley Cheerleaders Team Leader, Bill’s son has avoided my question of four days ago.

Let’s have some reality from the pair of you – you know it makes sense

• Rotonda heights

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:16 PM

Jib

What made you think that ”unvetted weirdo and misfit applied to you”. You were right of course though. You are a bit too easy at times. You seem a bit off your game, you haven’t called anyone a p—k for a day or 2. Slowing up are you or just too booze addled to be bothered, you silly old boy. Guess your BS quota is getting more rationed as you get further and further outed as an irrelevant pedant, a minor irritant on the bottom of one’s shoe. By the law of averages you may eventually get something right but I wouldn’t count on it.

• lesh

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:19 PM

Whoops

@37

Should’ve read

i asked WHY Everton are to commit to a £500m stadium and NUFC use wheelie bins for ice baths – not how.

• Anglo Saxon

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:21 PM

Jeff you sitting in front of the fire 30 degrees, fantasist.
    Historic Temperatures for 20th February in Andalucia