web analytics

Pundit Rejects Relegation Fears In Newcastle At Palace Prediction

BBC pundit Mark Lawrenson has given his prediction for this weekend’s Premier League matches. He is picking Newcastle to lose 2-0 at Crystal Palace.

Here is his prediction in full:

After drawing four league games in a row, Crystal Palace are now on a run of three straight defeats, but I always feel they are capable of a good result, no matter what kind of form they are in.

Newcastle have also slid back down towards the relegation zone recently but I don’t think they have to worry too much about being dragged into the dogfight at the bottom either.

There are definitely similarities between these two teams because, although neither scores many, both managers know how to defend so they will always pick up points.

Palace are actually the lowest scorers in the Premier League with 23 in 26 games, one less than Newcastle, but it is the Eagles who I think will come out on top here.

Lawro doesn’t entirely lay out a strong case for his prediction here. There’s no indication of why he thinks Crystal Palace with come through with what would be a terrific win for them.

We suppose that the advantage of playing at Selhurst Park should be taken into consideration. However, the Eagles’ recent run has been dreadful.

Newcastle haven’t exactly been on fire, but we’ve avoided losing consecutive games recently. That must be the aim against Crystal Palace. A loss will see the start of a losing streak that we can not afford.

Lawrenson’s contention about not getting dragged into a relegations scrap is a little off the mark to us as well. A loss on Saturday and some wins from those beneath us could see 18th place a little too close for comfort.

What Will Be The Result At Crystal Palace On Saturday?

• Loss (39%, 634 )
  • Win (34%, 547 )
  • Draw (27%, 434 )

Total Voters: 1,615

Loading ... Loading ...

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:51 PM

Mark Lawrenson the Unthinking man’s pundit.

• MagpieRanger

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:55 PM

Wonder who’s up for sale this summer? (Everyone)

• MagpieRanger

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:57 PM

50% off, all stock must go

• The Wife

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:00 PM

NY Mag,

If/when you’re about…just wanted to let you know that we’re getting our first snowfall of the winter here in Raleigh. 🙁

• coming home

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:00 PM

As long as they keep dubs max and miggy,do you think we could recoup some of the 4 mil from bruce

• Jib

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:03 PM

The Wife
    Get your ass to Andalucia

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:03 PM

MagpieRanger

Free with every player a 5 pack of Donnay trainer socks.

Buy two players get a slightly misshaped football.

Buy three and get a golf umbrella.

• coming home

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:08 PM

The wife
    I’m coming nc yadkinville in the summer any tips,places to visit, and where do I get my gun.

• welshgeordie9

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:24 PM

Who cares.

• The Wife

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:26 PM

coming home,

Obviously, the first question is, “Why on earth are you going to be in Yadkinville!?” 😀

Seriously though, I don’t know much about that town. It’s just a town you drive past on the way to Boone, is all. Y’ville is not too far from Winston-Salem, however, which is more of a bustling city with plenty to see and do.

As for getting a gun, you’ll need a permit first.

• coming home

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:26 PM

In Welshy we trust

• coming home

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:29 PM

The wife
    Just visiting family there, never been before,
    Just joking about the gun just thought I might need one.

• MagpieRanger

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:32 PM

Anybody else find it strange that the poorest billionaire in the world, penny pinching Mike Ashley, throws £40 million at an unproven Brazilian nobody yet won’t even give a promising young player a wage increase who’s already on the books. Yeah me too.

• The Wife

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:34 PM

Jib,

My ass would love to be in Andalucia right now. But I’m saving some vacation days in case MA sells and I have to be in Newcastle for the blog party. 😉 And, I’m already booked for Ireland in November.

That’s right, Munster Mag and IrishRob….I’m comin’ to see ya! 😀

• MagpieRanger

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:34 PM

Probably cause it didn’t happen. We’ve probably paid about £10 million for Joe with add ons that could rise… But won’t since he’s absolutely pony. Even Ash isn’t that stupid

• coming home

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:35 PM

Theres some skull dug Erie going on with that 40 mil

• The Wife

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:38 PM

coming home,

The people who live in “The South” are probably some of the nicest people you’ll ever meet in the United States. You’ll have no trouble at all.

• MagpieRanger

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:42 PM

I’m suprised no pundits have really commented on the Joelinton price tag. Can anybody honestly think of a bigger flop in EPL history? I’m not trying to be mean, but who has been a bigger waste of money, ever? £40 million is an astronomical fee for someone with that level of ability. I just cannot get my head round it. I’m really hoping that we aren’t just going to keep playing him week in week out for the next 6 years. As soon as we have a fit striker he needs dropped!

• coming home

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:42 PM

The wife
    Thanks that’s reassuring
    And just incase Mike ashley is over there I might need a smith and weston

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:58 PM

Never fear guys Jabbas selling
    We just have to work out exactly what hes selling
    Im guessing its the car park at the ground
    For his own personal gain obviously, that goes without question

• kc2012

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:59 PM

Magpie Ranger,

The biggest flop in premier league history – Kepa £72m. By far the worst keeper currently in the prem.

Angel Di Maria – £67m, was awful at Man United.

Fred – £53m, don’t need to say much about that guy.

Mangala – £40m, bambi on ice on his finest day.

All players that played in their strongest position and all flopped massively.

Once Joelinton is actually played in his natural position and not being used as a lone striker then we can see if he’s a flop or not for the apparent £40m we paid. He’s not a striker and certainly not one who will ever do well in our system (but which striker actually would).

• NY Mag

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:14 PM

The wife,

I saw that on the news re: snow in NC, I’m in Austin and there’s been some pretty nasty weather over the last couple of days, I guess that’s what is heading your way.

• NY Mag

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:19 PM

There’s been a lot of chat about the worst signings over the years, one thing that I find hard to reconcile is how to compare signing fees from years ago compared to today.

I did some “googling” and found a list of all transfers of the last 25 years adjusted for inflation. There’s a few interesting entries :-

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:19 PM

Undoubtedly the supposed £40m is looking like a massive waste of money.

The very fact he’s being forced to play in a role and a system that he’s clearly not suited to makes it worse.

Nothing about it makes sense at all.

Not the worst in PL history by any stretch. KC has pointed out a good few worse.

Arguably not the worst in NUFC history but absolutely one of the strangest.

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:40 PM

Maybe he plans to sell the training ground
    For his own personal profit
    As per usual

We have just gotten the wrong end of the stick
    We though he wanted to sell the club, so did the buyer

• GeordieTwo

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:41 PM

Yes, I’m thinking of getting one of your droppy original egg drawings droppy. And yes wor Joe is a terrible choice up front for us so I’m thinking aboot you capturing Joe in a more casual pose. Possibly watching video of somebody else scoring goals and saying “oooooh, look at that! How did he do that?” for example. Would you be willing to take the commission?

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:42 PM

Stay positive though
    He will probably hatch another transfer like Joe
    Where we splerge a massive wad on some player nobody else wants and seems to be way more than their worth
    Its a nice easy way to rob the club and pretend to spend money

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:43 PM

GeordieTwo

I will have to check my diary.

If I have time to do some sketching between bouts of horror and despair at what’s happening to NUFC then I will see what I can do.

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:44 PM

Maybe he wants to sell the away games
    Where he dont profit from and he gets no adverts
    Obviously he will keep all the tv money, he needs that for his tat shops

Makes sense when you think about it

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:46 PM

As the worst thing that could ever have happened to the club has come to fruition
    He wants to sell and someone has come up with the amount he said he wanted

Total nightmare

How will he ever manage, its not his fault people keep stumping up the money to his fakeovers

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:48 PM

Not only does someone want to buy us
    But said buyer actually meets the criteria ( you’ll like that JIB) to any sale that Jabba stated a while ago
    The problem is it means actually selling
    Something hes never wanted for the club

Why would he sell something with so much money sloshing around
    Where deals like Joe arnt even sniffed at
    Hes like a kid in a sweet shop

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:49 PM

#theturdthatwontflush

• droppy in Wallsend

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM

GeordieTwo

I have tried to do a Joe egg but every single time I try they just fall apart in the box or go missing entirely.

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:51 PM

Every time the club looks like it might scrape another year in the prem he gets a sniff at the tv money
    He can have another massive wad on our behalf
    Maybe he will sell us next year

• toon22

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:52 PM

The real problem the club has is those pesky buyers stumping up the cash

Total nightmare

• Nicky the ball tosser

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:59 PM

He’ll surely start the new lads again. Would be odd not too, after blooding them last week, and I’m all for it, because I do think they’ll add quality.

I expect this 11 will start, with a toss up between Lobby and Hayden.

………………..Dubravka.
    ……….Fede…Lascelles…Lejeune.
    Lazaro…Bentaleb…Hayden…..Rose.
    …….Almiron…..Joel……St Max.

Decent 11. I’d go with Hayden and have Joel dropping off to be the link between midfield and attack, with Miggy and St Max playing further forward, and look to play it out through the midfield and wingbacks. Either that or Lobby in alongside Bentaleb, with Joel just swapping positions with St Max, playing wider with St Max down the middle.

• carltoon

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:01 AM

Wolves what a team.

• toon22

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:02 AM

Stay positive guys
    We’ve got Jabba for another 13 years

• Essex Geordie Bill

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:03 AM

MagpieRanger

I’d suggest that he needs dropping even if we don’t have a proper striker.

• JohnJ

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:04 AM

The Wife @ no 4

I’m in Penrith (Cumbria) just now (in my touring caravan) and we saw our first flurry of snow lasted about 10 minutes but thankfully didn’t lie. After that the sun came out but I’ve got our caravan staked down to the ground as the wind is rising again tomorrow!!!